Contributor

Suddenly cannot receive Comcast mail on iPhone

Suddenly, after working flawlessly forever, I cannot receive Comcast Mail on my iPhone.  (Native Mail app not Xfinity Mobile)  I am, however, able to compose and send mail.

I have changed nothing.  

Help please?

New Visitor

Re: Suddenly cannot receive Comcast mail on iPhone

Same problem here with Droid Incredible. 

Networking Expert
Baric

What settings are you using?  Have you changed your password recently?  Have you tried rebooting the phone?

Contributor

I have changed nothing.  Settings are correct according to Comcast.  I have tried rebooting.  I have also deleted the account and started over.  I keep getting the error message that Comcast server is not responding; please check your settings.  What port should we have for incoming.  Mine are set at 587 with alternates of 465.  This happened at the same time that a major change appeared on my Xfinity website - the TV portion and I can no longer play my premium content (HBO and Showtime).  When this happened last week, Xfinity people said the San Jose server for all of N. CA had been changed and they had to "reconnect" my online email account with my cable settings.

I'll have to go back and check when this was because the last email I received was on 9/12.  ( I hadn't checked my email on my phone until last night)

Thanks for any help.

Networking Expert
Baric

587 and 465 are SMTP ports for sending mail, not receiving it.  The POP server should mail.comcast.net, port 995 with SSL on.

Your comment about "reconnect"ing your email address is interesting.  Can you log into http://xfinity.mail.comcast.net and see your inbox?  If not, what error do you get?  If you can't, I suspect something is wrong with your email account, likely linked to this mysterious "reconnect" activity.  In that case, you will have to call Comcast and have then suspend (if not already suspended, which I suspect it might be) and then re-activate your account.  It would be wise to change the password as well, just to make sure everything in synced up.

Contributor

Yes, I can login to Comcast email.  Sorry if my statement is confusing.  Most of the people at Comcast have absolutely no idea about this issue; Xfinity has to deal with it directly.  The content available to subscribers on Xfinity TV is "linked" through our email account, not our cable account.  Therefore, when Comcast works on the servers and changes settings, the Xfinity TV site can no longer "see" that the cable subscriber has premium content for their cable subscription.  Therefore, Xfinity techs have to manually send a signal to "reconnect" our email address with the premium cable content available to us online.  

Last week, the San Jose server underwent major changes and a lot of N. CA people experienced this problem.  I was just wondering if somehow the change in server settings had something to do with my email receipt on "Mail"

Mt POP server had port 587.  Changing it to 995 and restarting iPhone.  Will reboot next if that doesn't help.

Thanks, I really appreciate your assistance, Baric!

Contributor

No, I still ge the error message, "Cannot Get Mail.  The mail server "mail.comcast.net" is not responding.  Verify that you have entered the correct account info in Mail settings."

:smileysad:

Networking Expert
Baric

Is this WiFi or 3G connection?  What cell network if 3G?  It would help if you detailed your exact Comcast account settings in the Mail settings.

Contributor

WiFi

POP:

My name

xxxx@comcast.net

Description:  Comcast

Incoming Mail Server

Host Name:    mail.comcast.net

My User Name

My password  (quintuple checked!!!)

Outgoing Mail Server:

Host Name:    smtp.comcast.net

My User Name

My Password

Use SSL    ON

Authentication:  Password

Server Port:  465   

Advanced:

Incoming settings:

Use SSL   ON

Authentication: Password

Delete from server:  Never

Server Port: 995

Gold Problem Solver
BruceW

BarbR7 wrote: ... Most of the people at Comcast have absolutely no idea about this issue; Xfinity has to deal with it directly. ...

A minor point: there is no "Xfinity vs. Comcast" -- Xfinity IS Comcast. It's just a new brand name that Comcast is using. Please don't allow them to use the confusion as an excuse for not making your service work the way it should work.

Networking Expert
Baric

BarbR7,

Those settings are correct.  When you try your email client on the one of your computers connected to the same wifi network and using the same settings, does it work?

New Visitor
rolssen

I too am suddenly getting this same error.  Just this week and only when I am at work on their wifi.  When I go home, and connect to my wifi the messages are delivered.  My settings are the same.  Yahoo mail delivers/sends without issue.

Web Page Expert
BethKatz

Check that your settings (like BarbR7's) are correct. I have screenshots here:

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/E-Mail-and-Xfinity-Connect-Help/Screenshots-of-iPhone-5-mail-settings/m...

In particular, the name field must not be Comcast and should be the name you want people to see when they get your email. Your password needs to be strong and in addition to digits and punctuation may need to have both upper and lower case letters. The first place you put in your username, it needs to be username@comcast.net and you need to put that ending on it.