Contributor

Text of emails not showing up.

When I click on an email, it opens up, but there is no text to read.  At the bottom left of my screen I see a yellow exclamation point with the message "Done, but with errors." 

I have to click on the "Open Another Window" icon, and then my email text appears on a light brown background.  Why is this happening and how can I correct it?  It's been giong on for weeks and I'm frazzled.  Thanks for any advice.

Email Expert
CCCarole

Re: Text of emails not showing up.

Are you using Smartzone Regular or Lite? An E-mail client?  Are you reading your messages in HTML?    Which one? Do you have any toolbars installed?  Pop-Up blockers?  Do you have your AV set to scan incoming e-mail?

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.

Contributor

I don't know the answers to all your questions (I'm not very computer literate!), but what I can answer is that I'm using Smartzone Lite.  Don't know what "email client" means, butComcast is my Internet provider.  I believe my messages come in in HTML (I can see links in other words).  I have the Yahoo toolbar installed.  I have no clue what an AV is and if it scans mail. 

SOrry if that's not enough help.  Thank you for your time. 

Email Expert
CCCarole

[ Edited ]

deblynn87 wrote:

I don't know the answers to all your questions (I'm not very computer literate!), but what I can answer is that I'm using Smartzone Lite.  Don't know what "email client" means, butComcast is my Internet provider.  I believe my messages come in in HTML (I can see links in other words).  I have the Yahoo toolbar installed.  I have no clue what an AV is and if it scans mail. 

SOrry if that's not enough help.  Thank you for your time. 

deb- click on that exclamation point that has the words 'done with errors' and post what it says there.

Do you know which browser you are using?  My guess is probably Internet Explorer?

If it is Internet Explorer, click on the word 'Tools' at the top right of your window and then click on Pop Up Blocker and see if it is on or not.

In Smartzone Lite- Go to Prefernces/E-Mail  scroll down and see if it is set to 'display in HTML'

Have you cleared your temporary Internet Files and cookies lately?  Do you know how to clear the cache?

AV means anti virus program (eg.  McAfee)  E-Mail client means an e-mail program such as Outlook Express, but I see that you are using Smartzone Lite.

Message Edited by CCCarole on 05-04-2009 02:24 PM

Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)

Contributor

First, thanks for your patience and explanations.  :smileyblush:

When I click on the yellow exclamation point, I get this message: "Problems with this webpage might prevent it from being displayed properly."  Then I click on Details, and it gives an error code and someother data that I don't understand.

Yes, I am using Internet Explorer and my Pop up Blocker is OFF.

I checked my email preferances and they are set to Display HTML.

Yes, I dump cookies, history and temp. internet files daily.  I've done disc frags as well because I'm getting a "Windows is Low on Virtual Memory" message multiple times a day.  I have 77% free disc space.  I don't know if that is "cleaning the cache" though. 

I have Nortan antivirus and havehad it for years with no problem. 

Debbie

Email Expert
JR071702

deblynn87 wrote:

First, thanks for your patience and explanations.  :smileyblush:

When I click on the yellow exclamation point, I get this message: "Problems with this webpage might prevent it from being displayed properly."  Then I click on Details, and it gives an error code and someother data that I don't understand.

Whether you understand it or not, can you please post it here.

Yes, I am using Internet Explorer and my Pop up Blocker is OFF.

I checked my email preferances and they are set to Display HTML.

Yes, I dump cookies, history and temp. internet files daily.  I've done disc frags as well because I'm getting a "Windows is Low on Virtual Memory" message multiple times a day.  I have 77% free disc space.  I don't know if that is "cleaning the cache" though.

Clearing the cache would be deleting the temporary internet files - which you say that you are doing.

I have Nortan antivirus and havehad it for years with no problem.

Do you update it regularly?

I have concerns about the "Windows is Low on Virtual Memory" message.

Can you answer these questions for me?

1) What operating system are you running?   XP?   Vista???

2) How much computer memory do you have installed?

To answer 1 & 2, go to Start (on your task bar) and click on that and then right-click on My Computer and right-click on My Computer (this is on XP - not sure about Vista).   On the "General Tab", you will see a System Section (which will answer #1) and a Computer Section (which will answer #2)

3) Browser and version being used

You already mentioned Internet Explorer - but what version?    Click on Help and then Select About Internet Explorer.

4) Browser-addons

In Internet Explorer, you'd display these via Tools...Manage Add-Ons.

5) Toolbars installed (not necessarily viewable, just installed)

I think you mentioned the Yahoo toolbar - any others?

6) AV/Anti-spyware installed

You said Norton...which flavor?    Norton Internet Security 200x???   Norton 360???

7) Connection through a router or directly to the cable modem

It would probably be a good idea to examine exactly what you have running on your system - including things you have coming up at startup - e.g. Yahoo Messenger, Windows Messenger, AOL Instant Messenger, etc.   Also, you want to make sure your computer is configured to allow Windows to automatically manage the virtual memory. In Windows XP, follow these steps:

* Click Start, then open the Control Panel.
* Click Performance and Maintenance, and then click System.
* Click the Advanced tab.
* Under Performance, click Settings.
* Click the Advanced tab.
* Under Virtual memory, click Change.
* Under Drive [Volume Label], click the drive that contains the paging file (virtual memory) settings that you want to change. In almost every case, this will be your C: drive.
* Click to select the "System managed size" option, then click Set.
* Click OK three times and restart your computer. 

JR

Contributor

Yes, I update Norten yearly.  I do it online through the NOrton/Symantic website.  I don't know what version I have (I tried looking, but didn't see anything), but it was updated this past December on-line.  It automatically does a check on my computer every few days and generally finds Tracking Cookies, which I then "Fix" and it says my computer is safe and secure. 

My operating system is Windows XP Professional.

For memory, this is what it said:  Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4CPU 1.80 GHz 1.79 GHz, 512MB RAM

IE browser is Version 6.0

Browser Add-Ons are:  AIM, Norton, Real.Com, Show Norton Toolbar (but I don't see it it anywhere), Symantic Intrusion, Windows Messenger, Yahoo Toolbar, Yahoo Toolbar Helper. 

I then disabled AOL Toolbar (it doesn't show up on my screen anyway) and Shockwave Flash.  I now get a message telling me that webpages are looking for an add-on to open and it prompts me to re-enable them.  I'm thinking I should've left Shockwave enabled?

I also did #7 on your list, and clicked System Managed Size option. 

Thanks - Debbie

Email Expert
JR071702

[ Edited ]

deblynn87 wrote:

Yes, I update Norten yearly.  I do it online through the NOrton/Symantic website.  I don't know what version I have (I tried looking, but didn't see anything), but it was updated this past December on-line.  It automatically does a check on my computer every few days and generally finds Tracking Cookies, which I then "Fix" and it says my computer is safe and secure.

You should be doing regular "live updates" in Norton to make sure you have the latest virus protection.

My operating system is Windows XP Professional.

For memory, this is what it said:  Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4CPU 1.80 GHz 1.79 GHz, 512MB RAM

You may want to look into upgrading your memory.    512 Mb RAM is barely adequate nowadays...

IE browser is Version 6.0

Browser Add-Ons are:  AIM, Norton, Real.Com, Show Norton Toolbar (but I don't see it it anywhere), Symantic Intrusion, Windows Messenger, Yahoo Toolbar, Yahoo Toolbar Helper.

I then disabled AOL Toolbar (it doesn't show up on my screen anyway) and Shockwave Flash.  I now get a message telling me that webpages are looking for an add-on to open and it prompts me to re-enable them.  I'm thinking I should've left Shockwave enabled?

Probably :smileyhappy:   I wasn't looking for you to disable any of them at this time.   Just getting a feel for what your system looks like.

I also did #7 on your list, and clicked System Managed Size option.

Actually, there should have been a couple of blank lines in there.    Do you use a router in your network configuration at home or are you plugged directly into the cable modem?

On choosing the System Managed Size for your paging file, have you noticed any difference in performance?    Are you still getting those "System is Low on Virtual Memory" messages?

JR

Message Edited by JR071702 on 05-05-2009 12:38 PM
Contributor

I will try doing a live update on my Nortan, and will check into getting some more RAM.  And yes, I am still getting the Low Virtual Memory message  - in fact, I just got it twice while coming to this discussion board.  I believe I am just plugged into my cable moden.  Don't believe we have a router. 
Email Expert
CCCarole

Increasing your RAM (memory) is a very good idea. Many of us here purchase memory from www.crucial.com  You will find a great deal of information too, about upgrading RAM.