Contributor
OneTree
Accepted Solution

This message does not comply with required standards.

Hi - new here so forgive me if this is a question that's been addressed. I tried searching the message boards, but the error message I'm recieving didn't seem to be in there.

SO... here's the issue: When I send email to an aliased email address (IE: "somebody@domainname.com"), it bounces back. When I send to the root email address for the same person (IE: "sameperson@comcast.net"), it goes through fine. Using the root address is an okay work around for sending email to my co-workers who's root address is known, but doesn't work when it's a client & the only contact info I have is "soandso@domainname.com". Often times these emails just "go" somewhere, but are never received. Recently, however, they've started bouncing back so I can give you the header info.

I'm on G5 Mac Pro running Mac OS 10.5.8, using Seamonkey as my email client (but this issue is replicated in Mac Mail program too).

Reporting-MTA: dns; qmta01.westchester.pa.mail.comcast.net [76.96.62.16]
Received-From-MTA: dns; omta20.westchester.pa.mail.comcast.net [76.96.62.71]
Arrival-Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2011 17:56:27 +0000

Final-recipient: rfc822; art@acptee.com
Action: failed
Diagnostic-Code: smtp;  550 5.7.1 p8GHtgQL004479 This message does not comply with required standards.
Last-attempt-Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2011 17:56:27 +0000

I've contacted Comast support via telephone, but since I can log into their online webmail & send messages from there, I was told they're not responsible for the issue. I don't see anything in the error code that would indicate I've been mis-identified as a "spammer" or something, so I have no clue what's going on or how to fix it.

Any help would be appreciated!

Gold Problem Solver
BruceW

Re: This message does not comply with required standards.

Have you tried calling Customer Security Assurance? If they can't help you, they should be able to tell you who can: 888-565-4329 M-F 9am–11:30pm, S-S 10:30am–6:30pm EST. http://xfinity.comcast.net/constantguard/Support/

Contributor
OneTree

Thanks! I'll give them a call & report back here if this resolves the issue!

Contributor
OneTree

Spoke with a very helpful rep named Byron who was about as mystified by this issue as I have been. Since I'm able to receive emails fine to my aliased address (but cannot send emails to my own aliased address), it certainly points to it being some local issue with my IP. Byron said it looked a bit like the IP that was assigned to my account has "questionable" status, which may cause legitimate outgoing emails to be identified as "spam". He said he would see what he could do about cleaning this up for me. Fingers crossed! It would be wonderful to have this issue resolved!

Gold Problem Solver
BruceW

OneTree wrote: ... I'm able to receive emails fine to my aliased address ...

Could you explain what an "aliased address" is? I know you gave examples in your first post, but the concept doesn't seem to be sinking in.

Email Expert
CCCarole

I have asked for a Moderator to review your posts.  please watch for a reply early in the regular business week.

There are a number of Experts too, that are familar with using aliases and may see your post in the meantime.

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.

Contributor
OneTree

The aliased addresses I'm speaking of are when you have a root email address  (IE: person123@serviceprovider.net) & set up an alias through your web hosting with your web address (IE: sales@ourwebsite.com). This email address is actually a "forward" rather than an actual mailbox. - This allows everyone working at the same company, who may have divergent service providers, to all have company addresses (IE: sales@ourwebsite.com, info@ourwebsite.com, art@ourwebsite.com) Our employee email addresses run the gamut of Comcast, Bellsouth & Earthlink to name a few, so having alias addresses at least makes all the company emails consistent & less confusing to our customers.

Interestingly, there is only one of our employees who's email address is an actual mailbox set up on our web hosting, so it's not an alias address... but it too bounces back to me!

Security Expert
LoPhatPhuud

[ Edited ]

I've been following this problem to see the resolution.

I have my own domain hosted on GoDaddy with forwarding email accounts to my Comcast main email account (not  the primary account, just the one I use the most).

I just sent myself an email to my forwarding email and it was received as expected. I know this does not solve your problem but it does show that using forwarding email accounts works. (sometimes, I guess).

I also have one of the forwarding email accounts setup as a default in the event some mispells the addressee but gets the domain correct (eg: anything you want to put here@mydomain.com)  As long as the domain portion is correct, I will get the email. I just tested that and it works as well.

Note: Computer is running Windows 7 and I use Outlook 2010 for email.

"Once I talked to the inmates of an insane asylum in Hartford. I have talked to idiots a thousand times, but only once to the insane..."
Mark Twain

Microsoft MVP, Consumer Security, 2005-2014
Contributor
OneTree

It's been a weird issue to track down. Intially when I set up my email account on this computer, the aliases worked fine. Then they started bouncing back, worked again briefly, then stopped & haven't resumed. My work computer that I interact with remotely sends successfully to all the alias addresses & part of my work-around has been to log on to that computer remotely & send email from there, so I could be reasonably certain it got through to the client.

The only time I've had a similar issue is when the ISP of our office (not Comcast, but only because it's not available there), "upgraded" our DSL package & instantly *everyone's* aliased email addresses were bouncing back! Turns out the ISP had coverted our static IP that came with our intial account to a "changeable" IP when they performed the upgrade & this caused all our interoffice emails to appear as "spam"! I've suspected something similar has been going on here & my conversation with Byron at the service number makes it sound like that's a possibility, since he said the IP associated with my account was showing up as "questionable". Hopefully, as with the work situation, getting a new IP assigned & making sure it was a static one will resolve the issue!

Appreciate all your help here!

Bronze Problem Solver

OneTree wrote:

Hi - new here so forgive me if this is a question that's been addressed. I tried searching the message boards, but the error message I'm recieving didn't seem to be in there.

SO... here's the issue: When I send email to an aliased email address (IE: "somebody@domainname.com"), it bounces back. When I send to the root email address for the same person (IE: "sameperson@comcast.net"), it goes through fine. Using the root address is an okay work around for sending email to my co-workers who's root address is known, but doesn't work when it's a client & the only contact info I have is "soandso@domainname.com". Often times these emails just "go" somewhere, but are never received. Recently, however, they've started bouncing back so I can give you the header info.

I'm on G5 Mac Pro running Mac OS 10.5.8, using Seamonkey as my email client (but this issue is replicated in Mac Mail program too).

Received-From-MTA: dns; omta20.westchester.pa.mail.comcast.net [76.96.62.71]
Arrival-Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2011 17:56:27 +0000

Final-recipient: rfc822; art@acptee.com
Action: failed
Diagnostic-Code: smtp;  550 5.7.1 p8GHtgQL004479 This message does not comply with required standards.
Last-attempt-Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2011 17:56:27 +0000

I've contacted Comast support via telephone, but since I can log into their online webmail & send messages from there, I was told they're not responsible for the issue. I don't see anything in the error code that would indicate I've been mis-identified as a "spammer" or something, so I have no clue what's going on or how to fix it.

Any help would be appreciated!

Acptee.com is your work domain? They're the ones you need to talk to about why the email is being refused. Comcast is trying to deliver it:
but the MX server (MX servers are the ones designated in DNS as the servers that will receive email for a particular domain) for acptee.com is refusing it with this error message:
550 5.7.1 p8GHtgQL004479 This message does not comply with required standards.
I don't know what that really means, and I don't know at which point in the SMTP transaction the email was refused (Comcast could generate better error messages). I did a quick check, and that address seems acceptable to the MX for acptee.com, but, not knowing who "Art" is, etc., I didn't check further by actually sending an email. With your permission, I'd follow through and send a test message.
Considering that you're using pretty mainstream email clients, it seems unlikely that the "This message does not comply with required standards" bit is really what it's about. It could be about anti-spam measures, or it could maybe be about the forwarding... like maybe before they accept the email they "call ahead" to the forwarded to domain to see if they'll accept email sent to that forwarded to address, and something goes wrong there. I dunno, just taking a stab in the dark, that's just a couple things that popped into my head.
But, again, the folks handling email for the acptee.com domain are the only ones who can sort this out, they're the ones who are refusing the email.
Contributor
OneTree

Thanks, Steve. Yes, art@acptee.com is my company email address if you'd like to send a test email. I seem to be able to receive emails fine. It's just the outgoing that's at issue. I can send alias emails from pretty much any other computer I've tried but this one. I'm assuming either Comcast or Earthlink (our web hosting provider for our company website) has somehow identified my local IP as a spammer or something. I've already contacted Earthlink about the issue & they're saying the error is being generated by Comcast & suggested I contact them. (Of course, they've been wrong before & it's possible the tech I spoke with just didn't know what else to suggest!) Byron, the tech at Comcast I spoke with today, is the first one who seemed to grasp what the issue was & have some ideas about how to fix it. I do find it hopeful that Byron did say the IP associated with my account here was "showing up as questionable" & he was going to try to "clean that up". We'll see how that goes & if it's still not resolved I'll go back to Earthlink & try again!

Gold Problem Solver
BruceW

Also puzzling because the code "550 5.7.1" seems to mean "Relaying denied", but the error text doesn't seem to have anything to do with relaying. Looking up "This message does not comply with required standards" finds some speculation that emails might get that message if they contain an "unusual" URL. One example was that an email with a link to "edepot.com" failed, while one with a link to "homedepot.com" worked. 

@OneTree: Thanks for the explanation about "aliases". Never heard them called that, but I use that setup all the time as my primary email is a Yahoo address which auto-forwards to my Comcast account. 

Contributor
OneTree

Thanks, Bruce. It is puzzling. Don't know if it's related, but when I copied & pasted the header & error info to this forum, the Comcast system gave me an error message that it "contained an invalid web address that has been removed from your posting". I compared the original with what went in & couldn't immediately see the difference...

Bronze Problem Solver

OneTree wrote:

Thanks, Steve. Yes, art@acptee.com is my company email address if you'd like to send a test email.

I did, via Comcast, no bounce. (and I just saw your reply) Have you sent simple pure text test emails with no sig to see if sigs, HTML, or whatever, could be causing the problem?

I seem to be able to receive emails fine. It's just the outgoing that's at issue. I can send alias emails from pretty much any other computer I've tried but this one. I'm assuming either Comcast or Earthlink (our web hosting provider for our company website)

Earthlink, Cedant Web Hosting, and carrierzone.com are the same outfit?

has somehow identified my local IP as a spammer or something.

Comcast isn't causing the problem, they're trying to deliver the email.

I've already contacted Earthlink about the issue & they're saying the error is being generated by Comcast & suggested I contact them. (Of course, they've been wrong before & it's possible the tech I spoke with just didn't know what else to suggest!)

Well, it might be *about* Comcast, but, like I said, Comcast is trying to deliver the email, the error message isn't being generated by Comcast, Comcast is just reporting the error message it gets when it tries to deliver the email.

Byron, the tech at Comcast I spoke with today, is the first one who seemed to grasp what the issue was & have some ideas about how to fix it. I do find it hopeful that Byron did say the IP associated with my account here was "showing up as questionable" & he was going to try to "clean that up".

That's pretty vague. All the Comcast "residential" addresses are in blocklists that... list "residential" addresses. And it's common to misunderstand the significance of that. But he's probably on to something. It might be interesting to know exactly what he's talking about; wanna post your IP address?

Nevermind that bit about posting your IP address, I saw it in your email reply. I don't see anything in publicly queryable bocklists that should be relevant. I'd like to know what Byron thought was "questionable", though.

We'll see how that goes & if it's still not resolved I'll go back to Earthlink & try again!

It's a mystery. If you find out exactly what is going on, I'd *really* like to hear about. Quid pro quo, you know? (I tried)

Bronze Problem Solver

BruceW wrote:

Also puzzling because the code "550 5.7.1" seems to mean "Relaying denied", but the error text doesn't seem to have anything to do with relaying.

Well, outfits tend to use codes that they just feel like using, so take them with a grain of salt. For example, Comcast responds with 452 when there's a temporary DNS problem, but you can find text in an email RFC that says that error is about "a temporary size limit of the server". It's a classic misunderstanding between Thunderbird and Comcast about what error messages mean.

Looking up "This message does not comply with required standards" finds some speculation that emails might get that message if they contain an "unusual" URL. One example was that an email with a link to "edepot.com" failed, while one with a link to "homedepot.com" worked. 

You saw that on the web somewhere? Got that link handy?

@OneTree: Thanks for the explanation about "aliases". Never heard them called that, but I use that setup all the time as my primary email is a Yahoo address which auto-forwards to my Comcast account. 

Aliases are really about different "usernames" at the same domain going into one inbox at that domain. The OP's situation is just about forwarding.

Gold Problem Solver
BruceW

steve-baker wrote: ... You saw that on the web somewhere? Got that link handy? ...

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/exchangesvradmin/thread/0f4a04b8-7c83-41df-90fe-8c6..., Wednesday, December 03, 2008 8:05 PM

Bronze Problem Solver

BruceW wrote:

steve-baker wrote: ... You saw that on the web somewhere? Got that link handy? ...

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/exchangesvradmin/thread/0f4a04b8-7c83-41df-90fe-8c6..., Wednesday, December 03, 2008 8:05 PM

Thanks for the info. That's kind of a disjointed thread (lotta folks blaming MS), but like you said, it points to a content issue. I think that's the type of error message generated by Sendmail when there's a type of content issue (the OP's MX servers appear to be running Sendmail).

Contributor
OneTree

Thanks Steve & Bruce. The issue seems to be resolved now & I can only guess that Byron was successful in changing whatever settings he did to get the flow going again. Don't know how I can track down excactly *what* he did to resolve it, but if he follows up & lets me know, I'll certainly pass that info on.

Steve, I hadn't tried the plain text route, so when I saw your suggestion I gave that a shot & that message got through. When I switched the formatting back to HTML & tried again, that message ALSO got through. So either: A) changing the message formatting to plain text & back to html solved the issue (?) or :smileycool: Byron did some IP magic for me. Either way, I'm hoping this is a permanent fix. It's been months since I could just send an email from this computer & know it was being received!

Bronze Problem Solver

OneTree wrote:

Thanks Steve & Bruce. The issue seems to be resolved now & I can only guess that Byron was successful in changing whatever settings he did to get the flow going again. Don't know how I can track down excactly *what* he did to resolve it, but if he follows up & lets me know, I'll certainly pass that info on.

Could you maybe "bug" him a bit so that explaining things would be the path of least resistance? ;-)

Steve, I hadn't tried the plain text route, so when I saw your suggestion I gave that a shot & that message got through. When I switched the formatting back to HTML & tried again, that message ALSO got through. So either: A) changing the message formatting to plain text & back to html solved the issue (?) or :smileycool: Byron did some IP magic for me. Either way, I'm hoping this is a permanent fix. It's been months since I could just send an email from this computer & know it was being received!

Would you mind sending me another email? I'm just curious about whether or not you still have the same IP address.

Contributor
OneTree

Could you maybe "bug" him a bit so that explaining things would be the path of least resistance? ;-)

Did hear back from the tech support on what he did to fix my issue & since I promised some quid pro quo, here's the scoop. Basically, he said he reset the reputation of my IP address which had been listed as "poor" for reports of spam activity. The Comcast version of this error would be BL00010 http://customer.comcast.com/Pages/FAQViewer.aspx?seoid=BL000010 Since this fix, my email has been functioning normally at last & all the emails to coworkers are actually getting through. I'm decidely *not* a spammer, so I'm not sure how my IP got "web cooties", but it certainly would not have been anything I could have fixed myself.  Appreciate your help in pointing me in the right direction to getting this issue resolved.

Bronze Problem Solver

OneTree wrote:

Did hear back from the tech support on what he did to fix my issue & since I promised some quid pro quo, here's the scoop. Basically, he said he reset the reputation of my IP address which had been listed as "poor" for reports of spam activity. The Comcast version of this error would be BL00010 http://customer.comcast.com/Pages/FAQViewer.aspx?seoid=BL000010 Since this fix, my email has been functioning normally at last & all the emails to coworkers are actually getting through. I'm decidely *not* a spammer, so I'm not sure how my IP got "web cooties", but it certainly would not have been anything I could have fixed myself.  Appreciate your help in pointing me in the right direction to getting this issue resolved.

Thanks for the info! And thanks for the next email... it showed that your IP address hadn't changed since the previous email. It seems your address was listed by the CSI. That could explain why some emails disappeared, too. Verizon, for example, are known to silently throw away email when a CSI listed address appears in a Received: line in the email header. I'm not sure I really trust the CSI, and even if there was solid evidence that your current IP address was spamming, it could be about a previous user. Do you know if your IP address changed recently?

Thanks again.

Contributor
OneTree

steve-baker wrote:

Thanks for the info! And thanks for the next email... it showed that your IP address hadn't changed since the previous email. It seems your address was listed by the CSI. That could explain why some emails disappeared, too. Verizon, for example, are known to silently throw away email when a CSI listed address appears in a Received: line in the email header. I'm not sure I really trust the CSI, and even if there was solid evidence that your current IP address was spamming, it could be about a previous user. Do you know if your IP address changed recently?

Thanks again.

You're most welcome, Steve. Don't know if they changed my IP address & that's what caused the this issue. (Like the CSI labeling a person a spammer, it's not something eaiIt's been going on for almost a year now with no resolution & I'd about arrived at the conclusion I was just going to have to live with it. I moved to this address in 2010 & when my new service was intitally installed, it all worked fine. Then after a few months, the emails started inexplicably disappearing or bouncing back with the "does not comply with required standards" error & numerous calls to Comcast support didn't help. Since I could send an email from webmail it was deemed a "3rd party software issue" & I was told nothing could be done. I've never posted to this or any other support forum, but after this experience I'll likely avail myself of them again!

Contributor
OneTree

What I meant to say was: You're most welcome, Steve. Don't know if they changed my IP address & that's what caused the this issue. (Like the CSI labeling a person a spammer, it's not something readily apparent.) It's been going on for almost a year now with no resolution & I'd about arrived at the conclusion I was just going to have to live with it. I moved to this address in 2010 & when my new service was intitally installed, it all worked fine. Then after a few months, the emails started inexplicably disappearing or bouncing back with the "does not comply with required standards" error & numerous calls to Comcast support didn't help. Since I could send an email from webmail it was deemed a "3rd party software issue" & I was told nothing could be done. I've never posted to this or any other support forum, but after this experience I'll likely avail myself of them again!