New Visitor

Unable to add attachments. Help!!!

Email Expert
JR071702

Re: Unable to add attachments. Help!!!

Your post was blank.

When posting, please describe your problem or question in the text box (not the subject line). The more specific information you provide, the more directly the Forum Admins and helpers can respond.

You didn't provide enough information here for us to help you. Please elaborate in a reply.

JR

New Visitor

I scanned music that I am trying to e-mail to a friend. When go to the button to add the attachments I continue to get a sign that says my system is unable to comply with my request. What am I doing wrong?

Julie

Email Expert
JR071702

It sounds like the attachment is too large to send via Comcast's e-mail - you are effectively limited to 10 MB for all attachments in a given e-mail.

If your music files are large, you may want to use a service like http://www.yousendit.com

JR

New Visitor
tmelli

I am having the smae problem. my song is 18.5 mb. why am i paying all of this money and can't send one song. can soomeone explain how to shrink the song or reformat it into something else to send. Thanks!

Mac Expert
Joel

[ Edited ]

This has nothing to do with how much money you pay. The problem is, email was never intended nor was it designed with the intention of transfering large files. This was always the domain of FTP (file transfer protocol) or web hosting. Nowadays, with the explosion of multimedia devices and multi-megapixel cameras, uninformed computer users just expect to be able to send these enormously large (by 20th Century standards, which is when the internet was designed) files by email.

Most email services have a 10MB attachment limit. Some have recently moved to 25MB, but regardless of attachment limits, if you've ever tried to open an email message that contained a large attachment on a slow connection, you know this isn't pretty and you've probably had a few choice words for the sender as well.

If you absolutely need to send a large file across the internet, first see if there is a way to decrease the file size (image files can be saved at a lower resolution for example). If not, you have a couple of options. One, you can host the file on your online storage server, then send the recipient a link and let then download the file themself. Or, you can use a middleman service like www.yousendit.com who stores the file for you for a few days, sending the link to the recipient(s) for you.

Remember, regardless of what your attachment limit is, your recipient's may be less and they may be dealing with a slow connection as well. Don't freeze their email or jam their inbox with overly large attachments, learn how to properly move large files across the web.

New Visitor
houlihth

I went to attach a folder with pictures. A message said to go to help.

It was the correct folder. but it wouldn't let me attach to e-mail. Please help.

Email Expert
JR071702

houlihth wrote:

I went to attach a folder with pictures. A message said to go to help.

It was the correct folder. but it wouldn't let me attach to e-mail. Please help.

You cannot attach a folder - only individual files.   In addition, you are effectively limited to 10 MB for all attachments in a single e-mail.

If you are sending a lot of pictures, you may want to use a service like http://www.yousendit.com  

Or even upload the pictures to your Comcast Personal Web space and just send the URL to the people so that they can view the pictures on your site.

JR

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

You can also create a .zip file of the pictures and send the .zip file.

Size limit still applies when attaching a .zip file via email.

If the .zip is to large for email, you can upload it to yousendit rather than each picture individually.

Comcast employees must be authorized to post in the forum in an official capacity. Employees posting here have their names in red and are designated as employees. Names not in red are customers.

This is done to protect customers and for assurance that they are dealing with a Comcast employee.
Non-Authorized Employees are allowed to post but cannot state they are employees nor can they allude to being employees.