New Visitor

Want To Move Email Files To Disc Or Flashdrive

I will be moving to Missouri sometime this summer. Comcast isn't available there, unless I keep my account active in Illinois and access it from whatever ISP I use in Missouri. I feel that would be cost prohibitive to maintain two internet services merely to have Comcast email.

I have several hundred emails and have created several folders within my current Comcast email account which I want to save by transferring to a disc or flash drive before I close out my Comcast account.

I know I can move pictures I've received as attachments to my email messages to other areas within my computer, but I don't know how to move these folders or the emails themselves, short of printing everything, which would, obviously, be way beyond what the term "tedious" would describe.

I would very much appreciate any assistance or advice from anyone out there to resolve this problem. I can't believe this is the first time anyone has asked this question, but maybe within the 653 pages on this forum someone already has addressed it. Help, Please!

Silver Problem Solver
reasd

Re: Want To Move Email Files To Disc Or Flashdrive

tom.leith5 wrote:

I will be moving to Missouri sometime this summer. Comcast isn't available there, unless I keep my account active in Illinois and access it from whatever ISP I use in Missouri. I feel that would be cost prohibitive to maintain two internet services merely to have Comcast email.

I have several hundred emails and have created several folders within my current Comcast email account which I want to save by transferring to a disc or flash drive before I close out my Comcast account.

I know I can move pictures I've received as attachments to my email messages to other areas within my computer, but I don't know how to move these folders or the emails themselves, short of printing everything, which would, obviously, be way beyond what the term "tedious" would describe.

I would very much appreciate any assistance or advice from anyone out there to resolve this problem. I can't believe this is the first time anyone has asked this question, but maybe within the 653 pages on this forum someone already has addressed it. Help, Please!

Hello,

I just tried the following steps and it worked for me.

1) Insert your USB flash drive into a USB port, then go to your email inbox and open the email that you want to save.

2) Click on and copy the part you want to save, or if you want to save the entire email, addresses and all, highlight the email from top to bottom.

3) Right-click on the highlighted email and select "Copy."

4)Open your Word program, and select "New Document."

5) Paste the email into the new document, and click "Save As" and title your email document. Save the email in "My Documents."

6) Close out your Word program.

7) Click on the Start menu, and select "My Documents."

8 Look for your recently saved email in your document folder. When you find it listed, right-click on your email document.

9) Select "Send To" from the options list, and then select your USB device from the list. It may be listed as "Removable Disk Drive" or "Drive F," depending on how many drives your computer has.

10) Click on the "Safely Remove Hardware" tab in your icon pane. Select the USB drive, and when the pop-up appears telling you it is safe to remove hardware, remove your flash drive from the computer and put it in a safe place.

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

[ Edited ]

If you have a lot of emails, copying them one by one will be time consuming.

If accessing mail using SmartZone:

There is another method.  For this you will need to set up an email client and configure it to work with Comcast mail. If you use XP, Outlook Express is included with XP. If your operating system is Vista or Windows 7, you will need to download and install a client. Windows Live Mail  would be a good choice for you.

Setting up WLM is a breeze. The first time you open it you will be asked to enter your email address and password.
After that is done, make sure Manually configure server settings is UNCHECKED, click Next. Comcast settings will automatically be applied and WLM is ready to use.

The first thing you should know about an email client is that everytime it's opened, mail will download from the Comcast server into the client and disappear from SmartZone. If you want to keep the mail in SZ, you will need to set WLM (or any client) to leave a copy of the mail on the server. In WLM click on the drop down arrow in the dark blue box on the upper left hand side. Choose Options/Email Accounts. Highlight the account name, click Properties. When properties opens, Advanced tab. Under Delivery, put a check mark next to Leave a copy of messages on server. Click Apply to save the change.

Next click Send/Receive at the top of WLM. If needed, choose the account. Your SZ inbox will download.

After they download, create new folders in WLM and give them the same name they have in SZ. Also create another one, call it Temp Save. Move the WLM inbox to the Temp folder.

If you leave a copy of the messages on the server, you will need to create a temp folder in SZ-move your inbox to this folder.

Next move messages from ONE FOLDER ONLY to SZ inbox. Download those messages to WLM, then move them to the folder you created.

Once again, if leaving a copy on the server, you will have to move the messages from the SZ inbox back to the folder you moved them from.

Repeat this process for each folder.

When completed, you can move mail in temp folders back to SZ and WLM inbox.

After this is done, you can open up WLM on a regular basis so new Comcast mail can be dealt with quickly.

When you move and change providers, it will be an easy matter to simply change WLM settings to work with your new ISP mail if you decide to  keep using it.

Unfortunately, there is no way with WLM to move messages back to web based mail.

Since you will be losing your Comcast mail, set up an account with yahoo, hotmail or gmail if you don't have one already. Inform your contacts that they will need to send mail to you there until you get set up with your new ISP. Do this before you cancel  Comcast.

Comcast employees must be authorized to post in the forum in an official capacity. Employees posting here have their names in red and are designated as employees. Names not in red are customers.

This is done to protect customers and for assurance that they are dealing with a Comcast employee.
Non-Authorized Employees are allowed to post but cannot state they are employees nor can they allude to being employees.

New Visitor

Thanks, everyone, for your suggestions.....I will try them and see what takes place!

Email Expert
CCCarole

F.W.I.W.  This is the method I use ffor movving email from SZ to an email client:

How to move e-mail from Smartzone to an E-Mail Client

1.Create your folder structure in your email client first.

2. Create a rule to automatically put incoming email into folder A for example

3. log into smartzone and move or copy your emails from folder A into the smartzone inbox

4. Startup your email client and all your emails in the smartzone inbox will automatically be downloaded to your email client folder A

5. Change your client's rule to automatically download email to folder B

6. In smartzone move/copy all the emails in folder B to your smartzone inbox

7. Start your email client and all emails from the smartzone inbox will go to your client's folder B

8. Repeat for each folder in smartzone

This preserves the headers.

CC

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.

New Visitor

want to move my email folders to verizon from comcast