Visitor
Accepted Solution

Want to change POP account to IMAP

I want to change my primary Comcast email account from POP to IMAP, but can't find how to accomplish this on the Comcast site. 

Networking Expert
kevj

Re: Want to change POP account to IMAP

[ Edited ]

Comcast doesn't provide IMAP functionality for residential customers at this time...it is unclear if they ever will.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I don't work for Comcast...

Help us to help you!!
- respond to requests for info
- post back if your issue is resolved
- mark appropriate posts as solutions

Send feedback to Comcast using the 'feedback' link on this page:
http://www.comcast.com/Corporate/Customers/CustomerGuarantee.html?SCRedirect=true

Visitor

Thanks. I guess I'll forward the comcast mail to my iCloud account. Most of my mail comes directly to iCloud.

Gray

Regular Contributor

I like gmail because of the sync feature with my android phoneespecially my address book and contacts and in the email programs such as Outlook, Windows mail, windows live etc. If I leave my settings in google (imap.gmail.com) will all of the above mentioned not be synced with the mail.comcast.net?

Regular Visitor

Of course they do. That's why they provide you with IMAP instructions specifically for AOL, GMail and Yahoo Mail. The question is, how do you get it work with other e-mail services. Are you saying the only IMAP functionality Comcast provides at this time are for those listed above?

Networking Expert
kevj

Comcast provide you with the ability to link to other accounts, such as GMail, Yahoo, etc using IMAP and pull mail from them into your Comcast Inbox.

They do not provide the ability to access your Comcast email account using IMAP protocols from either a mail client such as Outlook, or from another web based mail service, like GMail.

Help us to help you!!

http://www.comcast.com/Corporate/Customers/CustomerGuarantee.html?SCRedirect=true

Regular Visitor

[ Edited ]

The only way is to forward all your Comcast mail to an account on a system that has imap.

Gmail.com and hotmail.com can both handle imap.

Go to "My Account" then "Users and Settings" then "email forwarding".

Contributor
AC-Viper

Seriously, you deleted my post?

Regular Visitor

I don't think so.

If I did, I didn't know I was.

I'm not aware that I can delete your posts/

Contributor
AC-Viper

Paul, I don't think it was you, I think it was a Comcast moderator.

I was talking about IMAP, and how I was told by a Comcast representative, about 5 years ago that they were going to offer it to their residential customers soon. I went into a little more detail, but I think a moderator deleted my post. I can't figure it out for the life of me why. 

New Visitor

The question still remains how to sync ones compact/xfinity SENT MAIL - it seems sent mail stays local on whatever computer/phone it is sent from.  So how does one sync a sent mail from a smart phone with ones home PC etc.?

Web Page Expert
BethKatz

mlp09 wrote:

The question still remains how to sync ones compact/xfinity SENT MAIL - it seems sent mail stays local on whatever computer/phone it is sent from.  So how does one sync a sent mail from a smart phone with ones home PC etc.?

Unless you are accessing the email on the server using the web-based email program or the Xfinity app on a mobile device, you will not be able to sync the Sent mail. I think Drafts may remain on whichever device even if using web-based email or app.

For email clients, you'll have to wait until Comcast makes IMAP available to residential customers. For now, IMAP is not available to residential customers.

Email Expert

mlp09 wrote:

So how does one sync a sent mail from a smart phone with ones home PC etc.?

You can CC or BCC the email to yourself, and create a filter that files messages from yourself into the Sent folder. Some mail apps may even let you configure a default CC or BCC.

Web Page Expert
BethKatz

I agree with Barmar, if I need a copy of an email I send from my iPhone stored on my desktop, I BCC myself. And if I forget when sending, I forward it to myself from the iPhone's Sent folder.

Contributor
AC-Viper

Why should that even be necessary? All the free email services offer IMAP, why can't Comcast? I am just going to start moving everything over to a gmail account. I'm tired of waiting for Comcast to offer IMAP to its residential customers. Thanks for nothing Comcast

By the way, I'm a customer of 12 years.

Web Page Expert
BethKatz

I'd also like to have the IMAP option. Sending yourself a copy of important messages is a workaround.

Regular Contributor

I agree. Having to bcc or cc yourself is a hassle and at times, it does not work on my Samsung Charge (Android).

I am not the best with all this but I was told that you cannot back up your web-based emails to an external hard drive?  Is that correct?

Bronze Star Contributor
LowRanger

IMAP is a relatively expensive protocol to implement and it would add a lot more overhead in terms of storage requirements.

Your options are to use something like Thunderbird Portable or a service that understands how to properly handle e-mail.

I personally don't believe in depending on ISP e-mail servers as a archiving solution.

Contributor
AC-Viper

An archiving solution? Are you kidding me? I have 5 devices that I check my emails from. I use Thunderbird on 4 or them, and my android phone uses another app. I have to keep deleting the same emails over and over on each computer. Expensive to implement? Again, you've got to be kidding me! Like I said, all the FREE email accounts offer it. With the amount of money I pay for my bill each month, I think Comcast can afford it.

The average person cannot setup filters, and shouldn't have to. This is 2012, let's get with the times here.

Contributor
AC-Viper

Another important thing I forgot.. If I send an important email from one device, I do not have it in the sent folder on my other devices. Again, to allege that people of using their email as an archiving solution is ridiculous. Even if they did, why would Comcast offer 10 GB of email usage when the largest single email cannot be over 15 mb?

I know that I have important emails that I print as file, but also save it on the server, in case I ever have to show proof of purchases, etc. 

Bronze Star Contributor
LowRanger

[ Edited ]

Relative to the processor cycles and mass storage space required to implement POP3 and SMTP, IMAP is relatively expensive.

If you like the way the free services treat you, then by all means use them instead.  Nobody's holding a gun to your head and it seems fairly obvious on the surface that Comcast is a little careless about the way they handle e-mail with their reputation-based IP blocking (not just filtering, but shunting it directly to the bit bucket) techniques.

If you had the right device, I'm guessing you wouldn't be choosing from five different ones for a particular task.

Email Expert
Latoque

BLUEBIRD1028 wrote:

I agree. Having to bcc or cc yourself is a hassle and at times, it does not work on my Samsung Charge (Android).

I am not the best with all this but I was told that you cannot back up your web-based emails to an external hard drive?  Is that correct?

Yes that is correct.  You cannot back up web based email directly to a computer.  The way to get around that is doing what I do-----use an email client program like Windows Live Mail, Mac Mail, Thunderbird, etc.  I have email accounts with Yahoo (my primary), Hotmail (@msn actually) and of course Comcast.  I keep the MSN account as my main fall-back account were something serious ever to happen with Yahoo.

Now having said that, my Inbox and Sent folder emails are in both Thunderbird and at the mail servers for Hotmail and Yahoo.  When I send a message from either of those accounts using Thunderbird, not only is it in Thunderbird on my computer, but it also shows up in the Sent folder at either Hotmail or Yahoo depending on which one I used.  So the Sent folder is covered.  I also set the preferences in T-Bird to leave a copy of incoming messages on the respective servers.  So the Inboxes are covered.  I have copies of all Sent and incoming messages in two places.

This does not work with Comcast email though, which is one of several reasons I don't use it for much other than testing.  Besides, as many others in these forums will tell you, Yahoo, gMail and Hotmail all have better bells and whistles than Comcast has.  And there are others.  I can tell you that I've had the Yahoo account for over 13 years now, and the Hotmail one for about 12.  In all that time, I've never lost an email in either account unless it was because of something I did wrong. 

___________________________________________________________________________________________________
These are customer to customer support forums. We are paying customers just like you. We volunteer our time to try and help other customers with how-to help, and troubleshoot problems if we can. We can't look at your account. The only Comcast employees in the forums are those with their names in RED.
Contributor
AC-Viper

LowRanger, number one, I have 3 different locations in which I have computers. Sorry I don't fit your profile of the perfect person with one single device. 

Unless it's coming directly out of your pocket, why are you so against Comcast implementing IMAP? I AM PAYING a good amount of money every month for service. Maybe you're getting yours free or something, but you're telling me that you would not benefit from IMAP? If you say no, than you are only kidding yourself.

LowRanger wrote:

Relative to the processor cycles and mass storage space required to implement POP3 and SMTP, IMAP is relatively expensive.

If you like the way the free services treat you, then by all means use them instead.  Nobody's holding a gun to your head and it seems fairly obvious on the surface that Comcast is a little careless about the way they handle e-mail with their reputation-based IP blocking (not just filtering, but shunting it directly to the bit bucket) techniques.

If you had the right device, I'm guessing you wouldn't be choosing from five different ones for a particular task.

Bronze Star Contributor
LowRanger

The service they currently offer (such as it is) is coming out of our pockets and I don't think they need to compound the existing problems by taking on something that is already better adressed elsewhere.

Comcast, IMO, needs to concentrate on making their current service better (there is MUCH room for improvement) rather than tackling something new and more consuming of resources.

As examples where I think improvements can be made, I cite the handling of Spam (this needs to be fundamentally rethought) and the webmail interface needs a complete overhaul to improve stability.

Contributor
robotpedlr

Regardless, IMAP should be an option through Comcast as it is with most other ISPs and free emails.  It is a pain to set up forwarding and filters to half A** work around what comcast should do.

Low Ranger - You are clueless.  Most people get email on more then one device. And as you mentioned with Spam Filtering being an issue... now you get the same spam on X number of devices you use.  Should be able to delete once.  

Bronze Star Contributor
LowRanger

robotpedlr wrote:

Regardless, IMAP should be an option through Comcast as it is with most other ISPs and free emails.  It is a pain to set up forwarding and filters to half A** work around what comcast should do.

I'll bite:  List a few large-scale ISPs that offer IMAP.  I think you'll have a difficult time making even a small list (remembering that AOL, GMail, Yahoo, Hotmail et al are NOT ISPs).

Low Ranger - You are clueless.  Most people get email on more then one device. And as you mentioned with Spam Filtering being an issue... now you get the same spam on X number of devices you use.  Should be able to delete once.  

It is arguably those who can't settle on a single tool (or multiple tools that sync easily) that are having a clue shortage.
Email Expert
Latoque

I'm going to go with LowRanger on this.  The one big downfall of IMAP is that it is expensive for an ISP to maintain.  Think about it-----unlimited and indefinite storage of all their customers emails?  I did some quick checking, and Verizon doesn't support it either.  Comcast's largest single competitor.  As noted----Hotmail and AOL are not ISP's, and they don't have any of the huge overhead expenses like an ISP does.  Things like maintaining thousands of vehicles, crews, service techs, telephone support, cable systems, and on and on.  Yahoo doesn't have any of those expenses, so they can afford to give you unlimited storage of your email on their servers.  As does Hotmail and maybe others.  Oh and I notice that even though gMail is IMAP capable, they have a storage limit on their accounts.  ISPs generally don't like IMAP because of the expense limitations.  That's why email clients like Thunderbird or Outlook have the default set to deleting messages from the server after downloading them to the user's machine.  It also has to do with the comparatively small storage limits we had 10 or 11 years ago.  They were measured in Mb then.  That would be laughable today.

Don't get me wrong.  I really like a lot of Yahoo stuff and MSN too (my primary email address is with Yahoo).  But all they are providing in their free accounts is email------nothing else that's not web-based.  AT&T does offer IMAP, but not because they support it-----rather because they have a deal going with Yahoo, which does support it, and as far as I can tell if you have AT&T email, it's actually a Yahoo account, and your email is stored on a Yahoo mail server someplace.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________
These are customer to customer support forums. We are paying customers just like you. We volunteer our time to try and help other customers with how-to help, and troubleshoot problems if we can. We can't look at your account. The only Comcast employees in the forums are those with their names in RED.
Contributor
robotpedlr

I do not think the issue is that we are unable to settle on a single tool.  Everyone has email on their smart phone.  If you have outlook on your desktop also (which most do) you already have two places you have to delete each email. 

As far as space, disk space is relatively cheap these days (thats why all the Drop Box and Gmails of the world offer multi gigs for free).  I am less worried about storing email forever (have a limit on mailbox size that is reasonable...)...but offer a way to sync across multiple devices that does not require you to go to a 3rd party solution.

LowRanger - if you are still using a motorola StarTac and dont have email on your mobile...forgive me.

Contributor
robotpedlr

Latoque wrote:

I'm going to go with LowRanger on this.  The one big downfall of IMAP is that it is expensive for an ISP to maintain.  Think about it-----unlimited and indefinite storage of all their customers emails? 

IMAP does not mean unlimited and forever.  My work email is IMAP and has a mailbox size cap.  Come up to the limit (3 gigs in my case) and your box is full.  Problem solved.

Email Expert
Latoque

robotpedlr wrote:

Latoque wrote:

I'm going to go with LowRanger on this.  The one big downfall of IMAP is that it is expensive for an ISP to maintain.  Think about it-----unlimited and indefinite storage of all their customers emails? 

IMAP does not mean unlimited and forever.  My work email is IMAP and has a mailbox size cap.  Come up to the limit (3 gigs in my case) and your box is full.  Problem solved.

Just curious---who is your work email provider?

Contributor
robotpedlr

Oracle

Networking Expert
kevj

I am locking this thread,as it has been marked as Solved, and the current conversation seems to be in danger of degrading into a pointless flame war. Name calling is against posting guidelines, and is grounds for a ban (temporary or permanent) from he forums.

At this time Comcast does not provide IMAP connectivity as a standard offering to consumer level subscribers. That does not preclude the possibility in the future....

Help us to help you!!