Visitor

Webmail locks/freezes/hangs computer at Get eMail

When we first log on for Comcast webmail in Internet Explorer, the Inbox shows new messages.  But if after a while we want to check for new messages and click Get eMail, the computer often locks, freezes, hangs, stops responding.  Ctrl-Alt-Del gets no response.  The only recourse is to hold down the power button for 6 seconds and force it to power off, then power back on.

The computer was doing this under IE 6 (under Windows XP Home, SP2, with plenty of memory and free hard drive), and we thought we might upgrade out of the problem by installing IE 7, but we have the same behavior with that.

We also ran a Windows System Restore to a month ago (before the problem appeared), but this did not resolve it.

Security software is a fully updated version of the McAfee Security Suite provided through Comcast.

Anyone recognize the problem?
Security Expert
CajunTek

Re: Webmail locks/freezes/hangs computer at Get eMail

JohnHupp wrote:
When we first log on for Comcast webmail in Internet Explorer, the Inbox shows new messages.  But if after a while we want to check for new messages and click Get eMail, the computer often locks, freezes, hangs, stops responding.  Ctrl-Alt-Del gets no response.  The only recourse is to hold down the power button for 6 seconds and force it to power off, then power back on.

The computer was doing this under IE 6 (under Windows XP Home, SP2, with plenty of memory and free hard drive), and we thought we might upgrade out of the problem by installing IE 7, but we have the same behavior with that.

We also ran a Windows System Restore to a month ago (before the problem appeared), but this did not resolve it.

Security software is a fully updated version of the McAfee Security Suite provided through Comcast.

Anyone recognize the problem?

Mcafee?
TANSTAAFL!!

Visitor

Re: Webmail locks/freezes/hangs computer at Get eMail

McAfee indeed.  I used MSCONFIG to disable everything McAfee, rebooted, and checked mail 20 times with no problems.

I suppose I could have uninstalled/reinstalled McAfee, but on the chance that some McAfee registry remnant might cause the problem to reappear in a fresh installation, I installed a spare copy of the Kaspersky suite we had on hand.  Smooth sailing once again.

Comcast support, by the way, thought that clearing IE temp files, cookies and history would solve the problem.  But that was just their first shot at the problem.  Maybe they would have gotten to McAfee farther down the troubleshooting tree.