New Visitor

What Happens to Email when I Cancel My Comcast Account

I moved to a house where Comcast does not provide service. I am forced to switch to Verizon DSL and DirecTV.

I've had my Comcast email address for many years. Many people have it as my primary email contact and I use it for many web sites.

What will happen to my email address when I cancel my old Comcast account? How long does it take to deactivate my email account? Can I keep it around? I would pay a small fee if I could keep it.

Service Expert
Again

Re: What Happens to Email when I Cancel My Comcast Account

jharv wrote:

I moved to a house where Comcast does not provide service. I am forced to switch to Verizon DSL and DirecTV.

I've had my Comcast email address for many years. Many people have it as my primary email contact and I use it for many web sites.

What will happen to my email address when I cancel my old Comcast account? How long does it take to deactivate my email account? Can I keep it around? I would pay a small fee if I could keep it.

Unfortunately, when you cancel your Comcast account, you cancel your email and anything else associated with Comcast, such as your Personal WebPages.  It pretty much happens at the time you're disconnected, but some have reported they've been able to receive email up to six months after disconnect.  I would not rely on that, however.

It would be wise to set up a free account somewhere like Yahoo, Hotmail, or Gmail and notify everyone you can [friends, websites, banking, etc] of your new email address and that you'll be losing your Comcast address with the move.

"When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be."
--- Lao Tzu ---
"Life is not linear. It's all a circle. Our dust becomes the firmament on which the future walks."
--- © James Scott 2014 ---

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

If you use webmail or SmartZone, and you have mail you want to keep set up an email client to work with Comcast mail. After setting it up, let the messages download to the client. Then move any messages from folders to the inbox, let them download. Export your address book, then import it back to the client.

The mail will be stored on your computer, not a server. You can easily configure the client to work with your new ISP. And if you don't want to use the client, it can be set up so that if opened mail isn't downloaded.

You will need to set up the client for each Comcast account you have.

Comcast employees must be authorized to post in the forum in an official capacity. Employees posting here have their names in red and are designated as employees. Names not in red are customers.

This is done to protect customers and for assurance that they are dealing with a Comcast employee.
Non-Authorized Employees are allowed to post but cannot state they are employees nor can they allude to being employees.

Web Page Expert
BethKatz

And after you do that downloading, it would be a good idea to make a backup of your email onto CD for safekeeping. If it was important enough for you to keep, it's important enough to backup.

Do all that downloading before cancelling your Comcast account.

Contributor

[ Edited ]

Best to go through and let all your contacts know your new email address, pick one of those free email sites like hotmail, gmail, etc... Don't forget to change your email address on any forums you may belong to, and on accounts you may have in online stores. I started doing this to avoid having to log into all the secondary accounts.

Message Edited by korith on 02-25-2009 02:10 PM