New Visitor

Why so much problems with Comcast E-mail?

Ok, you can feed us all the bull you want Comcast, but you have a major problem at your end. I have been with you since you took over ATTBI so why a problem now? Nothing has changed on my end and this "we don't support" Outlook is for the birds. We pay you for a service and that service is not working. If this is caused by a "corrupt message on the server." Why does it go away after deleting all my E-mail and returns the next day? It must be your system corrupting the messages.

Task 'Steve & Karen - Receiving' reported error (0x800CCC0F) : 'The connection to the server was interrupted. If this problem continues, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).
The server responded: +OK'
Networking Expert
Baric

Re: Why so much problems with Comcast E-mail?

Sigh...it keeps comng back because someone keeps sending you the same type of email. If you want to complain, go yell at Microsoft, it's their program that is not handing things well. Eudora and Netscape have no such problem. But both OE and Outlook have this problem. There is no evidence that the server is doing anything wrong here. In fact, most of the evidence points at OE and Outlook as the real problems.
New Visitor

Are we talking about this error message?

Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity. Account: 'Comcast', Server: 'mail.comcast.net', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '+OK', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F

If so, does anyone know a fix? I got it once a few months ago and spent about a month doing all my e-mail via Yahoo, which my Comcast e-mail is forwarded to. Yahoo got the mail with no problem. Finally I found a few minutes and went to Comcast's site and deleted all my messages. Is there a way to fix OE so I don't have to do this so often? It is happening 2-3 times per week now.

Gregg
Networking Expert
Baric

No, the only known fix with OE or Outlook is to delete the offending email, or you can choose to use a cleint that doesn't seem to have this problem, like Eudora.
New Visitor

Look, BARIC, your information is simply incorrect. I've had this same problem for over a month now.
Netscape does not work, nor does OE or Outlook.
Please spare me the basic "are your settings right/did you reboot?" questions. I've tried all that and then some *checking the MTU on my router, and adjusting it. Adjusting the MTU on all my machines*
Do you have any other technical information, or are you just going give me the now de rigeur "It's MS's problem not ours?"

wkimbrough@comcast.net
New Visitor

How could one E-mail cause this problem? Why would people using Mac's have a problem like this? If you search this forum you will find complaints from almost all E-mail programs with this tyep of error. Do you work for Comcast or just a know it all?
Bronze Star Contributor

Welcome back, Baric. :smileylaugh:

Roxboy
Most Valued Poster

> Look, BARIC, your information is simply incorrect.
> I've had this same problem for over a month now.
> Netscape does not work, nor does OE or Outlook.
> Please spare me the basic "are your settings
> right/did you reboot?" questions. I've tried all that
> and then some *checking the MTU on my router, and
> adjusting it. Adjusting the MTU on all my machines*
> Do you have any other technical information, or are
> you just going give me the now de rigeur "It's MS's
> problem not ours?"

I sure hope that is not your real e-mail address. That is a big invitation to get spammed, and virus's.
New Visitor

I cannot get my mail, what is the problem?
Networking Expert
Baric

How could one E-mail cause this problem?

It's simple. While POP3 and SMTP are simple protocols, they have many commands and responses to those commands are expected to follow a certain format, as well as the format of the transmitted mail. If that mail is not formated correctly and the email client is not prepared to accept this malformed email, bad things will happen if the program isn't graceful about handling the error.

Why would people using Mac's have a problem like this?

Is this a rhetorical question? There are versions of Outlook for the Mac. Entourage is also a Microsoft product. And you're suprised that these Microsoft products react in the same way to the same error on different platforms? You shouldn't be, I imagine they share a great deal of source code under the covers or started life as the same piece of code. Any other Mac programs issuing 0x800CCC0F messages also indicates it has a Microsoft ancestry.

If you search this forum you will find complaints from almost all E-mail programs with this tyep of error

Not once will you find this problem mentioned for Eudora. I have never seen it posted for Netscape either (that I can recall). What other programs where you referring to? Please cite a specific instance.

Do you work for Comcast or just a know it all?

Sigh...why do some people insist that I must work for Comcast if they don't like my answers? No, I do not work for Comcast (you should learn to check poster's profiles for this type of information). As for being a know it all, I'm sure folks can judge that for themselves. Your don't spend as many years being a software engineer as I have and not learn a great many things about computers.
Networking Expert
Baric

I don't know why I try... I'm hopelessy outnumbered.

Networking Expert
Baric

Look, BARIC, your information is simply incorrect

Not hardly. It may not solve your problem, but I never, ever said it would solve EVERYONE's problem. And if you assumed or interpreted that, then you have made an error. Gee, why am I not suprised?

I've had this same problem for over a month now.

I'm sorry to hear that.

Netscape does not work, nor does OE or Outlook

Good technical details there.

Please spare me the basic "are your settings right/did you reboot?" questions. I've tried all that and then some *checking the MTU on my router, and adjusting it. Adjusting the MTU on all my machines*

Very well, since you ask nicely, I will spare you the basic stuff.

Do you have any other technical information, or are you just going give me the now de rigeur "It's MS's problem not ours?"

I have imparted what technical expertise I have on many occasions in this forum and others. If you have the corrupt message problem, it does indeed appear to be an MS problem. Am I sure? No, but it's a logical and reasoned conclusion given the facts.

I have no idea what your problem is. And I'm not interested in helping you solve it after your post. Perhaps someone else, nicer than I, will help you.
New Visitor

I used to have this problem and it turned out that Outlook is not compatible with my Firewall, which is ZoneAlarm. There have been many issues with Outlook and different firewall software programs. If you are using a firewall, you may want to check its compatibility with Outlook.
Bronze Star Contributor

MS problem?
I'm using 'Mailwasher' and 'Pegasus Mail' and having many of the same issues.

Or are you are referring to the OS?

I do think it is corrupted messages, perhaps malformed headers? I get a fair amount of spam with headers that do not conform to the mail RFC's.
*If that is the case,I would think Comcast could configure thier mailserver to reject that type of message.
New Visitor

It is really sad but I never had problems with AOL and the aol 9.0 is really solid. I switched to Comcast cable and i still have aol. I was going to cancel it, but now it looks like I better keep it even if it does cost 14.95 a month...comcast right now is not allowing me to sign on to their web mail...should we ask for downtime credit? guitry
Networking Expert
Baric

Webmail is working fine here. I just checked it.

If you are having a problem, please provide specifics.
Regular Contributor

check spelling of server and e-mail address somtime when typing fast we push wrong button.R.That happened to me once,sometime so obvious cant see it.
New Visitor

I can not get or send email.
Most Valued Poster

If you want to find out if it is a problem on Comcast's end, try checking to see if you can log into the webmail.
If you can't then it is usually a problem on Comcast's side.
However, the connection to the server could be terminated, dropped or lost for a few reasons.

1. Spyware could be causing packet loss.
http://learnabouteire.com/techsupport/troubleshooting/pingdomain.htm

2. A Firewall or Virus scan could be causing the issue.
3. A file on the mail server within your mail account may be corrupt, contain a virus or may be very large. Large file attachments, mail that is missing headers, or mail that does not conform to the mail RFC's may be the possible cause.
4. You could also have line noise. Run a ping test to find out. http://learnabouteire.com/techsupport/troubleshooting/pingdomain.htm

5. You could also have an RF issue, Check the lower channels on you Comcast cable tv if you have it and if you see lines, ghosting or an unclear pic you have an RF Issue
New Visitor

I haven't been able to get mail down to my Mac since Oct. 23, but per the suggestions here, I went in via the web, deleted some messages around that timeframe, and then my mail client worked just fine (Mac's Mail under OS X).

This is the first problem I've had like this with Comcast. I'm not surprised, considering all of the spam coming through. Remember, one badly formed message can mess up an entire mailstream. If you think it's bad on the client end, you should see what folks have to go through on the server end!

Thanks for the good suggestions here... in spite of the flaming.

If you're having trouble with Outlook, I'm not surprised. I've never run any Microsoft system/software without having at least some trouble. If you're having such problems, my suggestion is (as you find out from Microsoft's help sites after any degree of searching) - REINSTALL. It's the only way to fix this crappy software! (And no, it's not because I have a Mac - I also work with PCs all of the time, as well as Unix systems. Wanna bet which platform gives me the most trouble? :-) ).

Regards,
L.
New Visitor

> even if it does cost 14.95 a month...

FYI, AOL has an e-mail-only plan. If the only reason you're keeping AOL is for reliable e-mail, then call them and get the $2.95 plan (I think that's what it was when I had it a year ago).

Everyone is sitting here blaming Comcast.. blaming MS... blaming everyone.. for this stupid problem.. but has anyone contacted MS or Comcast to get a fix?
New Visitor

I took two weeks and am still not able to receive e-mail at this box. I send from work or another home computer and get told I am not "The recipient is not recognized"How do I get to be recognized??????
This is costing big bucks and doesn't work at all.
The only e-mail I get is from comcast. I never can reach a live body to complain or work with too straighten this out. I would like some help here but don't know how to get it.
New Visitor

I also Assure you I did not misspell comcast.com or my e-mail name . I want to use this e-mail now.
Regular Contributor

> It is really sad but I never had problems with AOL
> and the aol 9.0 is really solid. I switched to
> Comcast cable and i still have aol. I was going to
> cancel it, but now it looks like I better keep it
> even if it does cost 14.95 a month...comcast right
> now is not allowing me to sign on to their web
> mail...should we ask for downtime credit? guitry

If you really want to keep "bring-your-own" AOL, call them and tell them that you want to cancel due to the cost. I bet you that they'll drop it down to $10/month if you do!

BTW, I've never had a problem with Comcast web mail or with Comcast & Outlook Express. I dropped AOL after I reached a comfort level with ATT/Comcast and never looked back.
Regular Contributor

It doesn't pay to get Baric P.O.'d at you - he is by far the most helpful person on this site and perhaps the most knowledgeable as well.
Regular Contributor

> I used to have this problem and it turned out that
> Outlook is not compatible with my Firewall, which is
> ZoneAlarm. There have been many issues with Outlook
> and different firewall software programs. If you are
> using a firewall, you may want to check its
> compatibility with Outlook.

Outlook Express works fine with Zone Alarm.
Networking Expert
Baric

Your email address does not end in @comcast.com, it ends in @comcast.net. Perhaps that is your error?
New Visitor

Everyone is sitting here blaming Comcast.. blaming MS... blaming everyone.. for this stupid problem.. but has anyone contacted MS or Comcast to get a fix?

Yes, Ive contacted Comcast and each time they find a different excuse and put the blame on another company.
Networking Expert
Baric

Gary said:
MS problem?
I'm using 'Mailwasher' and 'Pegasus Mail' and having many of the same issues.

Some other clients have problems as well. This is after all a corrupt message problem (or so I think). But the point is that Outlook and other clients are not handling the error properly, they are choking. This is bad and a bug. There's no two ways about it. Eudora never has this problem.

Or are you are referring to the OS?

No, I see no indication that this is any sort of OS or network stack issue.

I do think it is corrupted messages, perhaps malformed headers? I get a fair amount of spam with headers that do not conform to the mail RFC's.

As do we all. But at least the email client you are using should refuse to handle that one message, not the others. It's a poor email client that can't hand;e some variation in mail formats, right or wrong, especially in today's spam filled environment.

If that is the case,I would think Comcast could configure thier mailserver to reject that type of message

Well, first assuming that Comcast's SMTP servers are capable of it and themselves have no compliance problems, then yes they could. But just consider if they did. Up until a couple weeks ago, all mail from Comcast's own Webmail system would have be rejected as non-conforming due to the malformed Message-ID field. Most email clients fail to adhere to the strict RFC standard 100% of the time. This is natural and normal, the RFC's are complex and a moving target and some areas are subject to interpretation.

How pissed would you be that you suddenly stopped receiving email from your girlfriend or an important client because the mail server deemed their message was not strictly RFC compliant but used to work just fine? Because that's what will happen if you do this, the screams will be awful.
New Visitor

I am experiencing the same problem. It began on 10-31-03. This has to be a servor problem. If not resolved, I will problem change ISP. I have no intention of paying for something that I cannot use.
New Visitor

I came to this site because of it's heading- Problem E-mail. What a relief to see that I am not the only one with this problem. That being said, and being very computer illiterate, I desperately need help. I cannot even access my e-mail anymore. I have recently downloaded an updated version of Symantec and thought perhaps it had changed things. Is this possible and what can I do to to correct the problem. I have to also say that I have a Dell and several family members use the same computer. Sometimes I can access my e-mail thru their sign on. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. As others have pointed out, there are time sensitive e-mails being sent and I am getting some flak. HELP!!
Bronze Star Contributor

A number of people, (including myself), using various email clients are having problems with mail due to corrupted messages in thier inbox.

If you go to your mailbox via Comcast webmail and clear your inbox, you *may be able to use mail again, (until the next corrupt message arrives).

If that doesn't work you need to be more specific about what email software you are using and any error messages you are receiving.

Good luck.
New Visitor

0x800CCC0F

People getting the 0x800CCC0F may wanna try this link.
Read it over and try everything in it, assuming it applys too you.

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/b69c799adfa31ecc85256aa30052f4d0/c723dcecc95de93a88256a6200803e5c?OpenDocument∏=&ver=&src=sg&pcode=&svy=&csm=no

One more thing how about trying to put your errors into a google search and doing a little research yoursleves, you will find the answer to most of your questions there.
New Visitor

Re: Yahoo billing info for Credit card info

I would like to know if anybody got an E-mail saying that they were in need of Credit Card info and also said that they needed this info to updates their files I did not fill out that form I just deleted it from the message list.

This e-mail I received said info@yahoo.com but I sent e-mail asking them why they needed this info and came back as a mail failure delivery. all I got back which said that if I was experiencing sign on problems goto to the following links.
This did not answer my question to them. So please if you get this kind of e-mail please be very cautious and check the e-mail out for accuracy before doing anything ok
New Visitor

lol-new to comcast but not to these promblems. MSN has "engineers" an cannot even sometimes tell you how to fix basic's. The end "user" should not have to get so technical an get to stressed. Remember "fatal occurence" that we thought we did something wrong? The promblem there was that msn tried to put two bits of data into the same space an "fatal etc.". No one wants take the blame. XP was put out so fast they can't keep up w/ the patchs. Deleting email IDs also zap them for good or if lost. Yahoo mail is the way I believe is a good example of user friendly. HTML & easy messenger etc. friendly. There is just too much info for most people to begin with and I know cause I had a webring. The speed is the only good thing I can say cause I have had to restore a new pc here so many times an msn & comcast are so good at passing you off to the manufactor etc. Why can't anyone just say "i don't know?" ego? No one can possiably know it all. Email is quite a challege here for sure an I have commented many times how the free sites like yahoo & hotmail are so much more easier. I can insert html but try that here w/o a uploader. Jeez...
Most Valued Poster

Re: 0x800CCC0F

> People getting the 0x800CCC0F may wanna try this
> link.
> Read it over and try everything in it, assuming it
> applys too you.
>
> http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/b69c799ad
> a31ecc85256aa30052f4d0/c723dcecc95de93a88256a6200803e5
> ?OpenDocument∏=&ver=&src=sg&pcode=&svy=&csm=no
>
> One more thing how about trying to put your errors
> into a google search and doing a little research
> yoursleves, you will find the answer to most of your
> questions there.

Wow, now I hadn't thought of that one. I use Google for everything else.
Thanks a bunch
New Visitor

Outlook & Zonealarm

For whatever it's worth, I tried disabling Zonealarm and my comcast email problems remains unchanged. Sigh.
New Visitor

would like all my e mail from out look x press to @comcast net
New Visitor

I am not getting any mail. Why?
New Visitor

I had the same problem as described above, unexpected termination and failure to download email using Outlook 2000. I deleted an evidently corrupt email from the server using the comcast client, then everything else was downloaded properly. How did I know which one was corrupt? I guessed.
New Visitor

I had the same error messages most of you had. I called Comcast and was told they were not having mail server problems. When I called I was told to delete any virus protection I might have and I then told the customer service rep he must be nuts. Not having any virus protection has NOTHING to do with why Comcast had mail server problems. I thanked the customer service man said good bye hung up called again and got a very knowledgeable lady who told me there was a mail server problem this was back in September. I now receive e-mail using Outlook Express and Outlook with barely any problems. By the way the lady I spoke with was in Toronto Canada. funny how when I call they seem to see mail server problems that here in New Jersey they do not. This is NOT the first time when I called I spoke to first someone here in New Jersey then Toronto,Canada. My problem was I could not receive any e-mail. I tried coming here found some things to try none worked so I called Comcast could receive web mail but I do not like getting my e-mail from the web mail as the next day when I log in to check for new mail all of my messages are always deleted so I could not re-read any I had in my web mail inbox. That is why I use Outlook Express so I can re-read some e-mail I have to reply to.
New Visitor
New Visitor

I am so glad to have found this forum topic! I have been having problems for @a month: can't download into OE. If I can get my webmail open there I have numerous problems!
1. I can't send messages
2. I can't delete or move messages.
3. if I have 2 pages of mail ( sometimes I do since I can't delete); I can't move to the second page.
4. finally, I can't delete trash!

the screw up on webmail must be causing the problem downloading to OE!

I have been calling comcast every other day. Each teck has told me that the problem is unique to me! I can see from this board that it isn't.
They have been stumped. So all they'll do is delete my mail from the server for me.
surprise surprise, after they do that It might work for a day. Then I'm back on the phone with the same problem again.
Well tonight this guy tries to tell me that it's a problem with my computer NOT comcast.
I did find out that for some reason the last time that comcast updated their web page my didn't get updated!
So they are looking at a different page from their end than I have? No one can figure that out.
some tecks think it's related; some don't.

this has caused huge problems for a month at least. I have NOT been able to get mail; or if it's on the webmail page; I can't get into it!

I don't think I should have to pay them for the past month! Fat chance!
I'm ready to get another provider.... But who?

WHAT DO WE HAVE TO DO TO GET HELP WITH THIS PROBLEM!
New Visitor

I just want to know "truthfully" is there a solution to the email problems happening in this forum? I have been having problems receiving emails since about October 9, 2003. I am ready to purchase a new pc, but after reading all of these messages I am seeing that is not necessary. What is necessary? Does anyone have the answer? I receive the same error message and have to go to Comcast Home page to get my emails. It is very time consuming and a total waist of my time. I want to receive my emails in my Outlook Express, the same as I have always received them. Thank you in advance for any help you can give me.
Most Valued Poster

There are solutions posted to 99.99% of all problems here. Just read the posts. If you are having a specific problem, search for it first, it's probably already been addressed (probably many times). If it hasn't, then post a new topic describing your problem.
New Visitor

I get this:

The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'XXXXXX@comcast.net', Server: 'mail.comcast.net', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10061, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E

What do I do?
Most Valued Poster

Search the forum for 0x800CCC0E, you will find the answer. Hint: it's your firewall or virus scanner probably.
New Visitor

All Products | Support | Search | Microsoft.com Guide

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Downloads
MS Product Catalog
Microsoft Accessibility

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Servers
Developer Tools
Office
Windows
MSN

Knowledge Base
Developer Support
IT Pro Support
Product Support Options
Service Providers

Search Microsoft.com
MSN Web Search

Microsoft.com Home
MSN Home

Contact Us
Events
Newsletters
Profile Center
Training & Certification
Free E-mail Account
Home Search FAQs Downloads Newsgroups Customer Service

Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 813514

Comments?
Provide us with feedback on this article

Support Centers
Outlook Express
Office Development
Office 2003
Office XP
Office 2000
Outlook 2002
Outlook
Outlook 2003
Outlook 2000
Small Business Server

Other Support Options
Contact Microsoft
Phone Numbers, Support Options and Pricing, Online Help, and more.

Customer Service
For non-technical assistance with product purchases, subscriptions, online services, events, training courses, corporate sales, piracy issues, and more.

Newsgroups
Pose a question to other users. Discussion groups and Forums about specific Microsoft products, technologies, and services.

Page Options
Send
Print

OL: Error 0x800ccc0d or 0x800ccc0f When Receiving and Sending E-Mail
View products that this article applies to.
SYMPTOMS
When you try to send and receive e-mail, you may receive one of the following error messages:

The server could not be found. (Account:account name, POPserver:'mail', Error Number: 0x800ccc0d)
-or-

Task 'server name - Sending and Receiving' reported error (0x800ccc0f): 'The connection to the server was interrupted. If this problem continues, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP). The server responded: ? K'
-or-

Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity. Account. account name, Server: 'server name', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '+OK', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): N0, Error Number: 0x800ccc0f
CAUSE
This error message occurs when Microsoft Outlook or Microsoft Outlook Express cannot establish a connection with your e-mail server.
WORKAROUND
To work around this problem, use one of the following methods as appropriate for your situation.
Method 1: Confirm That Your E-Mail Server Settings Are Correct
For information about the correct settings for your e-mail server, contact your Internet service provider (ISP) or system administrator.

Method 2: Configure Firewall Software
Configure your firewall software to grant access to the Internet for the following files.
For Outlook Express: Msimn.exe
For Outlook: Outlook.exe
By default, most e-mail clients have to have outbound access on port 110 and inbound access on port 25. For more information about the ports that communicate with your e-mail server, contact your ISP or system administrator.
Method 3: Check the Symantec Web Site for Additional Suggestions
If you have the Norton antivirus e-mail feature enabled, you may have to do additional configuration to use Outlook or Outlook Express with the Norton antivirus e-mail feature. For more information, visit the following Symantec Web site.
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/docid/2001082921552806

Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.
The third-party products that are discussed in this article are manufactured by companies that are independent of Microsoft. Microsoft makes no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding the performance or reliability of these products.
The information in this article applies to:
Microsoft Office Outlook 2003
Microsoft Outlook 2002
Microsoft Outlook 2000
Microsoft Outlook Express 6 for Windows
Microsoft Outlook Express 5.5 for Windows
Last Reviewed: 9/23/2003 (5.0)
Keywords: kbprb KB813514

Contact Us

© 2003 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. Terms of use Security & Privacy Accessibility
New Visitor

Help anyone! I have three email accounts set-up. My account (ACCOUNT MANAGER) does not work I am getting this 0x800CCC0F error. I have changed nothing on my end. This error has been happening for about a month now. My other two accounts (my wife and daughter) are working just fine its just my account that is getting this message. How can this be??? Someone please help.
Thanks,
Nick
Most Valued Poster

New Visitor

How do I check the compatability of my firewall and Outlook Express?

Jakester