New Visitor
mikemal
Accepted Solution

Windows 8 and Comcast email

Just  got new computer that's running windows 8. Since windows 8 doesn't support mail thru a POP, does comcast have a fix to work around this compatibly issue? Does comcast plan to change over to IMAP anytime soon?

Official Employee
jlivingood

Re: Windows 8 and Comcast email

Yes, very soon.... Watch these forums around end of week.

JL
National Engineering & Technical Operations
New Visitor
mikemal

Thanks.........I'll wait with great expectations to here your fix.........Mike

Visitor

Will this include a fix that will work with Windows 8 smartphones?

Official Employee
DominicR

[ Edited ]

Users with Windows 8 who choose to use the native email client can opt-in to our Xfinity Connect Beta program to gain IMAP access to their comcast.net account.  The URL for the registration site is https://xcbetasignup.comcast.net/  Once registered your account will be moved to our Beta platform and will be accessible via IMAP within 72 hours.

New Visitor

how do i get added to beta site so I can use windows 8 email

Email Expert
CCCarole

[ Edited ]

cctvnow wrote:

how do i get added to beta site so I can use windows 8 email

Did you click on the blue link in the posts above yours?

https://xcbetasignup.comcast.net/imap_trial/web/

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.

New Visitor

If I switch to Beta does that affect my account as a whole?  I access my account from different PCs...work PC, smartphone, laptops with windows 7 & one with windows 8.  If I switch to Beta, will that affect the other PCs ability to access the account?

New Visitor
wood40s

I assume you haven't heard back about this. I also need an answer

Visitor

I switched to Beta so email would work on my windows 8 phone.   I have not had any problems getting emails through the old sources.

Official Employee

[ Edited ]

Thank you,
Sharath
Comcast Silicon Valley
New Visitor
wood40s

Do you have an idea when the beta version will go into production? I assume if I only set up my Windows 8 laptop my Windows 7 machine will not send or receive but I will still be capable of seeing "old" emails.

Official Employee
ComcastAnthony

[ Edited ]

Nothing changes with your windows 7 machine that was setup previously.  It will continue to function as it has/had before your username was moved to beta.  The biggest difference is that now you have a choice between using POP3 or IMAP whereas before you were only able to use POP3.

Visitor

I had/have the same problem.  After much talk I was informed there is a beta test going for Win8. 

Visitor

What is the 800# to reach the Beta folks and I was given the email address of info@trial.net to report problems.  In using this email I began receiving "non delivery" messages.  "no response after 8 hrs, 16hrs, 25hrs and finally a 72hours and we are not going to keep trying" message.  What's up with that?

Email Expert
CCCarole

The email address I have is a different one. XfinityConnect_beta@sv.comcast.com

Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)

Visitor

Carole, thank you.  A general observation of Comcast suppost.  I called yesterday and waited for 27minutes.  The call taker asked my problem and then dropped the line.  VERY frustrating.  Two questions, why is there a 27 min wait.  If there is that long a wait, call in more help.  Is there an email address for the VP that wants to make my experience with support satisfying?

Email Expert
CCCarole

GaryEC wrote:

Carole, thank you.  A general observation of Comcast suppost.  I called yesterday and waited for 27minutes.  The call taker asked my problem and then dropped the line.  VERY frustrating.  Two questions, why is there a 27 min wait.  If there is that long a wait, call in more help.  Is there an email address for the VP that wants to make my experience with support satisfying?

I am not employed by Comcast.  I am simply a volunteer helping out in the Forums when and if I can.

All that I can say regarding your phone experience is there are probably not as many Reps working on the weekends, but I don't know that as fact.  I don't have any email addresses to give you.

CC

New Visitor
JenWalsh

once the site is registered and email is on IMAP can you give us the informtion we should enter to register the email account on WIndows 8?

Official Employee
ComcastAnthony

Once migrated you will receive an email to the registered account with a link to that information.  Or you can check http://forums.comcast.com/t5/E-Mail-and-Xfinity-Connect-Help/Xfinity-Email-and-Windows-8/td-p/149411... for the general settings.

New Visitor
fxmobley

I signed up for the trail IMAP service a couple of weeks ago, primarily because I wanted my email to sync between my windows 8 laptop and iPhone. For the first 8-9 days all worked fairly good. Over the last couple of days I've been having a problem on my phone and my laptop. When I try to send email from my phone I get the following message "A copy has been placed in your outbox. The sender address ********@comcast.net was rejected by the server" and the items just sit in my outbox...when I try and send an email from my laptop I get similar results, the items will also just sit in my outbox and I will get the error message " ********@comcast.net" is unavailable"

Any ideas?

New Visitor

Check your outgoing ports! You can no longer use the default port 25 and must use 587.
Official Employee
ComcastJordan

IMAP does not use Port 25/587/465, so this is unrelated to the port changes.

It sounds like there is an invalid comcast.net email address in the To line.  Double check that there isn't a misspelling.

Bronze Problem Solver

ComcastJordan wrote:

IMAP does not use Port 25/587/465, so this is unrelated to the port changes.

Can you send email via IMAP?

It sounds like there is an invalid comcast.net email address in the To line.  Double check that there isn't a misspelling.

He said:

"The sender address ********@comcast.net was rejected by the server"

It could be that he got his own email address wrong, but it's more likely that he needs to enable authentication in his email client. Things get confusing when email clients report their own interpretation of what went wrong rather than relay the actual error message. These both probably look like "address rejected by server" errors to such email clients:

550 5.1.0 Authentication required

550 5.1.0 Not our Customer

New Visitor
taratata

if you switch to Imap on one computer,does this affect the others devices (iphone,tablet,other pc ?

Official Employee
ComcastKen

taratata wrote:

if you switch to Imap on one computer,does this affect the others devices (iphone,tablet,other pc ?

No it does not. Although, using IMAP on one device and POP on another can lead to some issues.  For example, if our POP email client downloads and deletes the emails on the server, then your IMAP account won't be able to see the newer emails as it is already deleted.

Ken Tran
Comcast Silicon Valley
New Visitor
pug127

DominicR wrote:

Users with Windows 8 who choose to use the native email client can opt-in to our Xfinity Connect Beta program to gain IMAP access to their comcast.net account.  The URL for the registration site is https://xcbetasignup.comcast.net/  Once registered your account will be moved to our Beta platform and will be accessible via IMAP within 72 hours.

If I opt-in to the Beta IMAP program, will I still be able to access, download, and move into my own customized folders (through the native Windows 8 email client) all the mail that I have saved in my current webmail inbox?

I have some very important emails that I had thought were lost when my previous PC died, and when I found out that Win8 doesn't support POP3. I "pro-actively" had Comcast keep copies, so I was relieved when I saw that they could, at least, be accessed through webmail.

New Visitor
webwatcher

If I use the IMAP beta program for my Windows 8 desktop will the change the configuration settings for my Android smartphone that does use the Pop3?

New Visitor
darlenefrench

Is there an additional charge for this special service?

Thanks,

Darlene

Official Employee
jlivingood

darlenefrench wrote:

Is there an additional charge for this special service?

Thanks,

Darlene

Nope!

JL
National Engineering & Technical Operations
New Visitor

sI have a 'Surface' with Windows8RT and had problem getting Comcast email to Outlook, saw on a web forum to go into Comcast Preferences, then General, then select Comcast Lite -  I tried this and it worked fine, Lite has not the fullness of the higher version but not all that bad., At least now I can view emails on my Surface. I can't remember the person who posted this but it works and thanks!!!