Visitor
amullig

Xfinity Address Book

My Smart Zone Address Book has apparently been replaced. Now, I use the tab to open the Xfinity Address Book: I can edit and add to the book. However, when I click  "To" when creating a new e-mail, the old information from the Smart Zone Address Book displays. Any suggestions?

Visitor

Re: Xfinity Address Book

I noticed this as well. In SZ we used t have a trach can. Once the can was emptied addresses would stop showing up under To button. I am hoping that the can will be added to Xfinity to aoid the scenario we both have.

Email Expert
CCCarole

I tested too.  I was able to remove the contacts from the address book, confirmed that they no longer showed in the address book.  Closed XC,  emptied the Trash Folder,closed the browser, cleared cache, signed out, signed back in... and Yep- If you click on TO- CC or Bcc- Those contacts are still showing in the list.

The Administrator will be notified of this bug.  You will see other threeads/posts on this bug too.

CC

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.

Visitor

Just for clarity, there is no trash can visible for the AB in my Xfinity. I did have one  with Smart Zone, but that went away after the migration.

Email Expert
CCCarole

pinot4 wrote:

Just for clarity, there is no trash can visible for the AB in my Xfinity. I did have one  with Smart Zone, but that went away after the migration.

You are correct.  When you empty the only Trash Folder for XC, a warning comes up telling you that it will delete all messages and contacts that you have deleted.  If I remember correctly, a similar warning box would come up if you deleted contacts in the 'address book' trash folder.

CC

Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)

Visitor

Perhaps there are multiple versions of XC, but my trash does not include any contacts, just discarded emails.

In fact, when you delete a contact from the AB, a msg pops and says Are you sure? It can't be undone. That would leave me to beileve that it is just a bug and they never intend to have a trash can just for the AB.

Thanks for your input. 

Email Expert
CCCarole

That would leave me to beileve that it is just a bug and they never intend to have a trash can just for the AB.

f you mean that perhaps they never intended to have a separate Trash Folder for the address book, in XfinityConnect, I tend to agree with that statement.  Hopefully, a Modeerator will be able to let us know what is a bug, and what is by design soon.

CCI

Security Expert
LoPhatPhuud

There are never bugs, just undocumented  features.

"Once I talked to the inmates of an insane asylum in Hartford. I have talked to idiots a thousand times, but only once to the insane..."
Mark Twain

Microsoft MVP, Consumer Security, 2005-2014
Official Employee
CC_MikeH

We'll take a look.

Official Employee
CC_MikeH

Please send me a private message with the email addresses if they are still having an issue.  We are seeing some latency with updates to the address book and the auto complete contacts. Please also let me know the contact that you have added or deleted that is having a problem as well as how long ago you made the update.

Click here to send me a private message

Official Employee
CC_MikeH

Thanks for all the info.  We're looking into this issue now.  It appears that the updates are working, but just taking a few hours.  Once this is fixed or I have anymore details I'll post back.

New Visitor
tvajw

Our Xfinity Address book has changed.  When it changed it now is alphabetized by first names and not last like we had set it up.  We have tried to see how this can be reversed but can't find any place to do this.  This is very frustrating having our address book organized by first names instead of last.  We have macintosh computers if that makes a difference. Thanks, AJ

Email Expert
CCCarole

tvajw;

I guess you didn't see the post made above yours by CC Mike, a Moderator?  Or this one, in another Thread about the Xfinity Address Book?  (Also posted by Mike)  :smileywink::smileygrin:

I've received word that Plaxo (who maintains the address book) will be working on a fix for this issue tonight.  I'll post back once I have more details, but hopefully this will be corrected by tomorrow.

Email Expert
JR071702

[ Edited ]

tvajw wrote:

Our Xfinity Address book has changed.  When it changed it now is alphabetized by first names and not last like we had set it up.  We have tried to see how this can be reversed but can't find any place to do this.  This is very frustrating having our address book organized by first names instead of last.  We have macintosh computers if that makes a difference. Thanks, AJ

AJ

Mike posted in another thread that Plaxo is supposed to be implementing a fix for this tonight (6/20).

JR

Edit - looks like Carole typed just a little faster :smileyhappy:

Contributor

to add to the list of problems....I just entered a new person into my address book and when I try to type that entry  in the new field of an email, nothing comes up on the new entry......it appears that only the old pre connect entries are recognized and show in the new email...what gives?

Email Expert
CCCarole

I just tested this myself and saw the problem just as you describe.  It appears to take a few minutes for the address book to update in the address book itelf.  I rechecked in less then two minutes and the address is now in the address book, but- if I start typing the name, it is not auto filling, nor does it show when clicking on TO- Which should show the contact.

We will report this  to the Administrator.  There is another thread about the same thing occurrring when adding a Group.

CC

Email Expert
JR071702

Looking at my Xfinity Connect address book this morning and the display issue is fixed - the names are displaying as "last name, first name" (at least for me it is :smileyhappy:)

JR

Email Expert
CCCarole

After adding a new Contact to the address book, it took awhile, but now when you click on TO when composing, the new contact does show.  However, it still does not come up with starting to type in the Contact in the To field.

CC

Contributor

Just did a test and the name of someone I put into the address book two days ago, now does come up when I start to type in the To field on a new email.  It is included with the old contacts from the pre xfinity connect. 

Contributor

another test, where I put a new entry into the address book and then try to bring it up...but it does not come up when typing into the To field...not sure what the time lag is but it is more than a few minutes...

Contributor

I have concluded that in order to send a new person an email, and not have to type in the address every time, one should enter the new person into thier address book and then wait a yet to be designated time (in my case 2 days seems to be the norm)..and all will be bliss...I do hope it turns out to be sooner than 2 days, but if not I will have to plan emails better.

Email Expert
CCCarole

FYI- It did take a few hours for the new contact to show when clicking on TO, but it now works. Right now,I  still have the issue when starting to type in a contact name.  Comcast is aware of this issue as well.

CC

Contributor

just noticed that after putting new person into address book and about 2 hours later it does pop up in the To field correctly, it shows the email option to select after typing in the first 4 letters.  This means all is well and all we need to do is plan on waiting to send email to a new contact for about 2 hours and hopefully that will eventually become immediate, as it was in the old non connect system....

Official Employee
CC_MikeH

There has been some fixes deployed last night that appear to have improved the update time with auto complete. This morning I tested and saw the updates after a few minutes.  We are still doing additional troubleshooting and may deploy other updates before we close this issue.

Web Page Expert
BethKatz

[ Edited ]

Mike, I added someone to a group. Even 30 minutes later (having signed out of Xfinity Connect and back in as well as trying a different web browser), the extra person is not included in the group with autocomplete.

Edit: Not there after 60 minutes. Was there after 90 minutes.

And if I type my name (which is the start of my email address), the first two autocomplete choices are groups I'm in rather than any of my email addresses.

New Visitor
dianacarew2010

[ Edited ]

I entered two new addresses into address book last Friday (today is Monday @ 12:30a.m.) and they appear as 'saved' in my address book.  But when I hit the "To" button to create a new email the entries are yet to be seen and it doesn't auto-complete either when I begin to type the name in.   I see other posts from June that Plaxo was working on fixing this but it's a problem for me and my husband with his address book too.  Three days is unacceptable to wait for an address book entry to be recognized -- it used to be instantaneous -- what gives? 

Email Expert
JR071702

Right now there seems to be issues with the regular XC address book - which is "driven" by Plaxo.

To make any of your address changes, I would switch to the XC Lite version - go to Preferences > General and select the XC Lite and then log out and log back in.

I was able to add e-mail addresses and groups and use them immediately in XC Lite.

I could also then go back to regular XC and see the addresses and groups that I had added - although there is an issue with misfiling of the address in the regular XC version of the address book (e.g. "AAA" is filed at the end of the "B's"
JR

New Visitor
dianacarew2010

Thank you for this advice that worked but how cumbersome is that?  XC 'Lite' is clunky but I did change my preference, input the address book changes, save them, log out, change my preference back to XC regular and find the address book input now functions.  It looks like Plaxo has dropped the ball on this since it has been an ongoing issue since June based on this forum.  Hopefully someone from Comcast is paying attention and it can be resolved soon.  Pretty time consuming and frustrating just to add a new address.

New Visitor
__--__

Hi when I put a new address in the address book I can't find it in the dropdown searchable address list that comes up when I click "TO."  Why is that?

Email Expert
Latoque

Try having the address book re-synced. You need to send an email to helpme@sv.comcast.com In the subject line put "Need Slow Sync of Address Book". In the body of the message describe the problem, and make sure you include the email address with the problem. It can take up to 24 hours for the re-sync to work.

The address book is actually supplied by a company called Plaxo. There are separate copies in the Full and Lite versions of Xfinity Connect, and they are supposed to be synced with each other. Once in a while they can get out of sync and it will cause these kinds of problems.

Or

If you want to try to fix it yourself, switch to the Lite version of Xfinity Connect. In the Inbox page, go to Preferences>>>>>General>>>>Versions. Make the change there. While in Lite, make your changes to the address book. If you switch back to the Full version ( the default view), those changes should be reflected in that address book, although it can take up to 24 hours to show up. The Lite version has the primary, or "master" copy of the address book.  Then the To: line should populate correctly.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________
These are customer to customer support forums. We are paying customers just like you. We volunteer our time to try and help other customers with how-to help, and troubleshoot problems if we can. We can't look at your account. The only Comcast employees in the forums are those with their names in RED.