New Visitor
flwick

adding email to android phone

How do I set up an email account on my Android phone.
Silver Problem Solver
reasd

Re: adding email to android phone

Hello,

Try these settings:

Comcast's email servers are POP3, the server name is mail.comcast.net.  You can use port 110 for plaintext email, or 995 with SSL for encrypted email (recommended).

For sending mail, the server smtp.comcast.net.  You can use port 25, 465, or 587.  With 587, you must have authentication, and I would recommend TLS (may be referred to simply as SSL as with many clients).

New Visitor
mgarland

Did comcast change something? My email has worked fine on my adriod phone for years. Stopped working last week. Tried deleting account and recreating with the information you have below. Tells me that the incoming server doesn't support SSL. Tried plaintext email on port 110 and still doesn't work. Is Comcast having problems with one (or more) of their servers?

New Visitor
gpgarci

If you have 4G, you will not be able to receive emails unless you change Mobile network settings to CDMA Only (3G).  This started occuring about two weeks ago.

New Visitor
mgarland

That did it, thanks! Any idea what happened and when it'll be fixed?

New Visitor
benadrian

I had no problems unitl last Friday. Spent 1 hour on phne with Sprint, 2 hours with their tech at a local store...Comcast was useless in helping me, until I told a real nice lady this morning I was going to cancel my account that I have had for over 10 years since they cannot help me...

She got me going on incoming..outgoing was not working until I messed with it:

Incoming:

Pop Mail Server

Server: mail.comcast.net

username

password

Advanced settings

port 995

use secure connection-check it

use secure assword tls-Never

authentication:smileysilly:assword

do not check verify cert

outgoing:

smtp.comcast.net

username

password

advanced settings

port 587

do not check use secure connection

use secure password tls: always

authentication: auto

do not check verify certificate

Hope this helps!

New Visitor
acnj

Thanks SO much for this detailed information!  I just recieved a new Virgin Mobile android phone yesterday (on the Sprint network) and decided to follow you instructions to see if I could set up my Comcast email on my own after bumbling around the Comcast site for about 10 minutes.  I am by no means a 'techie' and just upgraded from a 'non-smartphone'.  Within about 5 minutes, I was up and running with my email.  Appreciate you taking the time to write out the instructions.

New Visitor

You Rock!! Thanks so much for doing to hard part for us all.

Visitor

None of this helps. My settings are as recommended. Can receive but cannot send. Says server could not be found.
New Visitor

Me too. Cans receive but not send.

Email Expert
CCCarole
New Visitor

Thank you so much.....it worked for me too

Contributor
Bigdog74

wanted to let everyone know that is having an email problem with a droid you must download xfinity-mobile for it to work properly. I forgot we had to do this with iphone 5 and just bought droid razr maxx-problem solved.

New Visitor
bonielster

I cant log in to my email with my android either.  I've tried the info below. Have things changed again?

New Visitor
MrAndrew1

You can put the security to none.

New Visitor
techieincolordo

I have experienced the same issues with Comcast email on my andriod phone.  I typically use outlook on my PC and I have never experienced any problems with sending/receiving.  However, not the case on my phone.  I poured over hours of threads and tried everything.  Here is how I got mine working.

1) login into your http://xfinity.comcast.net account.  Of course this seems like a no brainer, but I discovered that I could not login using the id/password.  I was using a password that was less than 8 characters.  I changed my password to a 8 character password.

2) Establish access your comcast.net email address using the zimbra web email http://web.mail.comcast.net/zimbra/mail?app=mail.  Test the sending/receiving function.  If you can send and receive  you now can go to your andriod to complete the set up.

3)  I use the "other" email to add a new account.  (The icon is the envelope with the @ in the center.)

incoming settings  xxxx (The the characters up to the @comcast.net)

password:  Use your new 8 character password.

pop3 server:= mail.comcast.net

Sercurity type =none

port=110

outgoing settings

smpt server= smtp.comcast.net

security type = NONE

Port = 587

Require sign in = Check

User name  xxxx (The the characters up to the @comcast.net)

password:  Use your new 8 character password.