Contributor

can't remove attachments when forwarding/replying to mail.

I was trying to reply to an email that had photos attached, and had no reason to return the 6 photos to the sender -- but they automatically attached to the top of my reply.  Each one has a checkbox next to it, so it looks like you should be able to check the box and then remove the attachments, but there's no "remove attachments" button.  I tried right-clicking and that didn't offer a cut/delete option.  I tried the delete button with the items selected, and nothing happened.

Is there a button or function to do this that I'm just not seeing?  Or is this a bug?

I tested it out on forwarding and the same thing is true -- you can't take the attachments off when forwarding either.

Deb

Visitor

Re: can't remove attachments when forwarding/replying to mail.

yes.  same issue.  i thought i was going crazy so i decided to see if anyone else was having the same problem.  in my case, it's not a situation of inconvenience, i actually NEED to reply OR forward the original email trail, but need to replace the attachments with updated versions I corrected.

i love the new mail client, but this needs to be addressed, please.

[comcast, while you're at it, please support google's crome browser.  i had to stop using crome once the new email clinet came out.]

Email Expert
JR071702

dcrisafi wrote:

yes.  same issue.  i thought i was going crazy so i decided to see if anyone else was having the same problem.  in my case, it's not a situation of inconvenience, i actually NEED to reply OR forward the original email trail, but need to replace the attachments with updated versions I corrected.

i love the new mail client, but this needs to be addressed, please.

[comcast, while you're at it, please support google's crome browser.  i had to stop using crome once the new email clinet came out.]

dcrisafi,

When I have replied to messages with an attachment in SmartZone, the original attachments are only included in the reply if I check the box next to the attachment.  

If I don't check that box and then click on the Add Attachments button, and supply a new file name there, then that attachment replaces the original.  

If I check that box, and click on the Add Attachments button, and supply a new file name there, then that attachment is added to the e-mail (along with the original attachment).

When I forward messages with an attachment in SmartZone, that box is checked by default.  

To forward a message without the attachment, uncheck the box before hitting send (this answers the OP's question).   

If you want to forward an additional file, then leave that box checked and click on the Add Attachments button, and supply a new file name there, then that attachment is added to the e-mail (along with the original attachment).

JR

Visitor

it's funny, because just after i made my post, i stumbled right into the 'reply' part of your information.  so, now i understand how to do it, but i must admit, it's anything but intuitive.

anyway, thanks for your post!  it does help clear things up a bunch.

Cheers,

David

Email Expert
JR071702

dsa23 wrote:

I was trying to reply to an email that had photos attached, and had no reason to return the 6 photos to the sender -- but they automatically attached to the top of my reply.  Each one has a checkbox next to it, so it looks like you should be able to check the box and then remove the attachments, but there's no "remove attachments" button.  I tried right-clicking and that didn't offer a cut/delete option.  I tried the delete button with the items selected, and nothing happened.

Is there a button or function to do this that I'm just not seeing?  Or is this a bug?

I tested it out on forwarding and the same thing is true -- you can't take the attachments off when forwarding either.

Deb

dsa23,

Unless the box is checked on an attachment when forwarding or replying, that attachment is not included).

When I have replied to messages with an attachment in SmartZone, the original attachments are only included in the reply if I check the box next to the attachment.    To not include the original attachments in the reply, leave the box unchecked.

If I don't check that box and then click on the Add Attachments button, and supply a new file name there, then that attachment replaces the original.  

If I check that box, and click on the Add Attachments button, and supply a new file name there, then that attachment is added to the e-mail (along with the original attachment).

When I forward messages with an attachment in SmartZone, that box is checked by default.  

To forward a message without the attachment, uncheck the box before hitting send. 

If you want to forward an additional file, then leave that box checked and click on the Add Attachments button, and supply a new file name there, then that attachment is added to the e-mail (along with the original attachment).

JR

Email Expert
JR071702

dcrisafi wrote:

it's funny, because just after i made my post, i stumbled right into the 'reply' part of your information.  so, now i understand how to do it, but i must admit, it's anything but intuitive.

anyway, thanks for your post!  it does help clear things up a bunch.

Cheers,

David

David,

Yeah, it takes a moment to figure out, but actually, I like the reply behavior better than some of the e-mail clients out there (like Outlook that I use at work or Thunderbird at home) or Webmail.

With those, when you reply, it strips the reply of the attachment.  You have to go and reattach the attachment to send it...and if it hadn't been downloaded to your computer from the original e-mail, you would have to go back and download it and then reattach it.    Or just forward, instead of reply (which is what I ended up doing - but then you have to put in all the e-mail addys).

At least with SmartZone, it's giving you a chance to include the original attachments simply by checking the box.

JR

Most Valued Poster
Most Valued Poster
Me

David,

Yeah, it takes a moment to figure out, but actually, I like the reply behavior better than some of the e-mail clients out there (like Outlook that I use at work or Thunderbird at home) or Webmail.

With those, when you reply, it strips the reply of the attachment.  You have to go and reattach the attachment to send it...and if it hadn't been downloaded to your computer from the original e-mail, you would have to go back and download it and then reattach it.    Or just forward, instead of reply (which is what I ended up doing - but then you have to put in all the e-mail addys).

At least with SmartZone, it's giving you a chance to include the original attachments simply by checking the box.

JR

Don't know whether you can change in your version of Outlook but in O2007 you can go to Tools>Options>Email Options and then select "Attach original message" in the drop-down under "When replying to a message" - this adds any attachments to the reply...

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Heroes aren't born...they volunteer...
Contributor

Thanks.  I agree with dcrisafi that it really is not intuitive.  But maybe that's partly because in the old system, it was "check to remove" and now it's "check to select."  It would be great if they could add that instruction at the top where the attachments/checkboxes are, either as text or as a mouseover.  Or somewhere in the FAQ/instructions for new features of this email.

Thanks, dcrisafi, for bumping the question up so that it got addressed.

Deb

Email Expert
JR071702

dsa23 wrote:

Thanks.  I agree with dcrisafi that it really is not intuitive.  But maybe that's partly because in the old system, it was "check to remove" and now it's "check to select."  It would be great if they could add that instruction at the top where the attachments/checkboxes are, either as text or as a mouseover.  Or somewhere in the FAQ/instructions for new features of this email.

Thanks, dcrisafi, for bumping the question up so that it got addressed.

Deb

Deb,

Sorry that I missed it on the first go-round.   I did add something today in this sticky post Here is the link to the Smartzone Tutorial - which contains a link to the SmartZone tutorial plus other useful SmartZone information, tips and tricks.

JR

Regular Contributor

JR, thanks for this info -- I had the same question.

I notice that the SZ tutorial does not explain how to remove attachments, however, nor is this addressed in Comcast email help (at least I couldn't find it). Again, I think the documentation could be improved -- the tutorial just covers the basics that most people can figure out for themselves, and the "more" section really does not give much more. The documentation should especially cover things that have changed from the previous incarnation, as is the case here -- before you had to check and click a button to remove an attachment, now you have to leave it unchecked (it is actually unchecked by default when you click reply, which is a nice feature if you understand what it's doing). It would also seem that there is room to put a few words of instruction on the email window itself next to the attachments, something like "Check an attachment to include it."

If users have to come into the forums and know to search for "remove email attachment," I suspect there may be a few frustrated users out there.