New Visitor
Accepted Solution

cant send email

Recently I can't send email from Outlook Express, only receive I get this error message: The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'comcast.net', Server: 'comcast.net', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): Yes, Socket Error: 10013, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E. Also when I log in to Smart Zone I have no messages at all.

Email Expert
JR071702

Re: cant send email

patacke wrote:

Recently I can't send email from Outlook Express, only receive I get this error message: The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'comcast.net', Server: 'comcast.net', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): Yes, Socket Error: 10013, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E. Also when I log in to Smart Zone I have no messages at all.

Please refer to the e-mail client settings detailed in this post and adjust your settings as necessary.

JR

Email Expert
JR071702

As far as no e-mails in SmartZone, do you have Outlook Express set up to leave a copy of messages on the server?   If not, then they are deleted from the Comcast servers when you download them into Outlook Express.

JR

New Visitor

Changed the settings but still get the failed message with the new port number.

Email Expert
JR071702

Do you have your SMTP server name as smtp.comcast.net???   I noticed in your first post that it was just comcast.net

JR

New Visitor

I did change it to SMTP.comcast.net, but I believe Outlook auto types SMTP anyway.I still get the failed message.

The host 'SMTPcomcast.net' could not be found. Please verify that you have entered the server name correctly. Account: 'comcast.net', Server: 'SMTPcomcast.net', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 587, Secure(SSL): Yes, Socket Error: 11001, Error Number: 0x800CCC0D

I haven't changed any sttings myself, and it only stopped sendeing mail recently. I did notice however that my settins of leave a copy on server had been changed.

Email Expert
JR071702

patacke wrote:

I did change it to SMTP.comcast.net, but I believe Outlook auto types SMTP anyway.I still get the failed message.

The host 'SMTPcomcast.net' could not be found. Please verify that you have entered the server name correctly. Account: 'comcast.net', Server: 'SMTPcomcast.net', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 587, Secure(SSL): Yes, Socket Error: 11001, Error Number: 0x800CCC0D

I haven't changed any sttings myself, and it only stopped sendeing mail recently. I did notice however that my settins of leave a copy on server had been changed.

You are missing a period between smtp and comcast in your smtp server name.

JR

New Visitor

Added the period and now I get this message :

The message could not be sent because the server rejected the sender's e-mail address. The sender's e-mail address was 'patacke@comcast.net'. Subject '', Account: 'comcast.net', Server: 'SMTP.comcast.net', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '550 5.1.0 Authentication required', Port: 587, Secure(SSL): Yes, Server Error: 550, Error Number: 0x800CCC78

Email Expert
JR071702

You need to check the "My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication” box.

JR

Networking Expert
Baric

You need to turn on outgoing authentication, like this:

outlook-2003-outgoing-server-tab.png

New Visitor

Thank you for walking me thru this. I dont know how the settings got changed, but that did the trick. Thanks again.

Email Expert
JR071702

patacke wrote:

Thank you for walking me thru this. I dont know how the settings got changed, but that did the trick. Thanks again.

Glad we could help.

JR

Contributor
fmp1088882

Thank you for your information and you were very nice to have given a visual with it. I am quite new to this and tried for 2 days to solve this, even tried sending from my ymail account to my comcast e-mail and ,what do I see? you guessed it, address is invalid,the same notice on all e-mails.So on my way to check out my settings that dissappeared in 2 days,and no one else lives here so, the Gremlins krept in and messed me up. Thank you again. Fran     fmp1088882@comcast.net

Email Expert
CCCarole

Please edit your post and remove your email address.  The forums are public, you could have your email address harvested by spammers.  To do:  Open your post and click on Options on the right side of your post.  Cliok on Edit reply.  Thank you.

Posting Guidelines

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.

New Visitor

I checked my settings and it looks as you suggested. I still getting:

"An unknown error has occurred.

Subject ''

Server Error: 554

Server Response: 554 omta16.emeryville.ca.mail.comcast.net comcast Port 25 not allowed - http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/internet/email-client-programs-with-xfinity-email/

Server: 'smtp.comcast.net'

Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC6F

Protocol: SMTP

Port: 25

Secure(SSL): No"

Is there anything more I can try?

Thank you.

New Visitor

here is the update: I changed the port from default 25 to 465 and that what i am getting now:

[Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity.

Subject ''
Server: 'smtp.comcast.net'
Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC0F
Protocol: SMTP
Port: 465
Secure(SSL): No]

I have Windows Live Mail. little help? :smileyhappy:

Thanks

New Visitor

Disregard.

I wasn't thorough and it didn't help. Then I checked the security box (SSL) on outgoing email and it did it.

Everything works now.

Contributor

http://sz0080.ev.mail.comcast.net/zimbra/mail?app=mail

This link allows me to open and read as well as respond to emails, I can't delete any though for some reason.

Email Expert
CCCarole

What happens when you check the box to delete an email and click on the Delete icon?  Try clearing your browser cache too.

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.

Email Expert
CCCarole