Contributor

cant send email

Hi, we recently upgraded our internet speed with comcast and now we can't send email from our comcast accounts any more.  We can still receive, but not send.  I can send email from my other email accounts, just not comcast.  Can someone please tell me how to fix this?  I  use Windows Live Mail to open my email accounts.  Thanks :smileyhappy:

Silver Problem Solver
reasd
Contributor

Re: cant send email

thank you :smileyhappy:

New Visitor

Hi, I too recently upgraded internet speed with comcast a now can't send email from my comcast account. I use Outlook 2003 to open my email. Can you help me with this? Thanks! Running Windows 7 and IE10 was just installed automatically a few days ago.

New Visitor

Like many of you, I can't send email. I have seen the notes suggesting changing the port settings, but where does one actually do that? I use an iMac with a 10.5.8 OS. Thanks.

New Visitor

Using the link above for fixing Windows Live Mail to send email, I was able to change the outgoing mail SMTP from port 25 to port 465 and now I can send email - I think everything is back to normal. Strange because comcast sent out a notice a few months back to change that port to 25 for security reasons. I don't really understand what's going on, but now it works. In Outlook 2003, I went to tools - email accounts - view or change existing accounts - change - more settings - advanced. My incoming mail (POP3) was already at 995. I changed the outgoing mail (SMTP) to 465. Good luck.

New Visitor
PJWag

Re: cant send email - fix

I just got off the phone with Comcast.  The online document supplied by comcast on how to correct your ports is wrong. ("Set up Outlook 2007 for Email").  Everything is correct EXCEPT on the Internet Email Settings Advanced tab you SHOULD click "The server requires an encrypted connection (SSL)" box AND "Use the following type of encrypted connection" should be SSL not NONE.

Contributor

I've been trying to send e-mail all morning.  This is a huge problem.  Did Xfinity send out an alert telling EVERYONE to change their outgoing e-mail port to 465?  Seems to be this is a problem on a global scale, I'm a computer professional and my e-mail has been working for years and stopped just yesterday.  I don't remember seeing a notification to do this.

Email Expert
CCCarole

The email has been rolling out for months now.  It should have come to your Primary email address in XfinityConnect.

See this link too;

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/E-Mail-and-Xfinity-Connect-Help/Port-Change-Notification/m-p/1470331#U1...

Here is part of that email too.

Dear Valued XFINITY® Internet Customer,
We care about your email security when using our network. On August 1, Comcast announced that for security reasons we will no longer support the use of port 25 for sending email from programs like Outlook or Apple Mail. It appears that one or more computers connected to your Internet account are using port 25 to send email. A port is a connection through which information flows from a program on your computer, from another computer in a network, or to your computer from the Internet, Port 25 is an unsecured port, and it is increasingly used to send spam emails through malicious computer programs called malware. These spam emails are usually sent by computers that have been infected by viruses, and as a result, most users are unaware that their computers are sending spam. By no longer supporting port 25 to send e-mail, this will help prevent your computer from sending spam without your knowledge.
What You Need To Do:
We are asking you and other impacted customers to change your email program settings to port 465, which provides more security. You will be unable to send email over port 25 once it is disabled, and you will need to update your settings to port 465 in order to continue to send email.Please click the link below for your current email software and follow the step-by-step instructions to change your settings.

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.

New Visitor

Thanks for the post. I hope to clear this up as soon as possible. See answers to questions, below:

I use Xfinity for email, but don't see the word "connect" in the header. I don't know which version it is.

Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)

I use only Xfinity, not outlook or any other program.

Firefox Version 16.0.2; cache is clear

Mac OS 10.5.8

I can receive but not send. I know I'm supposed to change port setting but don't know where to look for them to change them,

Thanks.

Email Expert
CCCarole

ronk232 wrote:

Thanks for the post. I hope to clear this up as soon as possible. See answers to questions, below:

I use Xfinity for email, but don't see the word "connect" in the header. I don't know which version it is.

I use only Xfinity, not outlook or any other program.

Firefox Version 16.0.2; cache is clear

Mac OS 10.5.8

I can receive but not send. I know I'm supposed to change port setting but don't know where to look for them to change them,

Thanks.

But- do you have any email client configured or a smartphone configured even if you only use XfinityConnect? Are you using Mail from Mac maybe?

To check which version of XfinityConnect:

Open XfinityConnect, click on Preferences, and then click on General.  A window will open showing you which version is checked. 

IF you do not have any email clients configured you don't have any changes to make:  Read on:

Comcast has begun sending out notification of a change to how customers can access their Comcast.net email.  This quick FAQ is intended to provide links to the available information in order to help our customers in the transition.

I use XfinityConnect or other webmail (like Gmail, Hotmail, etc.).  Does this change affect me?

No, it does not.  In no way does this notification impact you or your ability to send or receive email.  

I use an email client (Outlook, Thunderbird, etc.) to check my email.  What changes do I need to make?

Please see our FAQ.  It provides the settings that need to change, as well links to step-by-step instructions on how to update most major email applications.

For quick reference here are a few of the most common email application FAQs:

Why is Comcast making this change?

Please see our FAQ and our Comcast Voice Blog.  They explain the reasons for this change in detail.

I received an email about this change, how can I tell that it's not a scam?

Please see our FAQ.  It explains Comcast Verified Email and how to identify Verified email.

New Visitor

I am using th full version f xfinity. I do not use Mac's Mail.

New Visitor

Followed the directions for Mac but still can't send email. Very frustrating to get the same instructions over and over.