New Visitor

comcast.net mail

my comcast mail is going directly to my outlook.  How do i make my incoming mail go directly to comcast.net.  I don't even use outlook and i don't know how it took over my mail. help.
Service Expert
Queen-Evie

Re: comcast.net mail

[ Edited ]
I'm not familiar with the workings of Outlook, but I can tell you why it's going there. First of all, your mail IS going to comcast.net.  Any mail you see in your inbox when you access mail using webmail is sitting on the Comcast mail server. It ends up in Outlook because someone has configured it download the messages from the server-mail is now stored on your computer. And messages only end up in Outlook or any other email client when it's opened. Until someone can tell you what to do to prevent this, simple answer is don't open Outlook. Did you configure it to receive your mail? If you didn't someone else had to do it, it won't configure itself.

Message Edited by Queen-Evie on 07-28-2006 06:51 PM

Comcast employees must be authorized to post in the forum in an official capacity. Employees posting here have their names in red and are designated as employees. Names not in red are customers.

This is done to protect customers and for assurance that they are dealing with a Comcast employee.
Non-Authorized Employees are allowed to post but cannot state they are employees nor can they allude to being employees.

Recognized Contributor
Chief-Mac

[ Edited ]

Queen-Evie wrote:

Until someone can tell you what to do to prevent this, simple answer is don't open Outlook. Did you configure it to receive your mail? If you didn't someone else had to do it, it won't configure itself. 

Queen-Evie,

I'd be willing to bet that the OP means Outlook Express, not Outlook.  While OE cannot configure itself either, I believe the Comcast Software Installation CD is still configuring it. That would explain why so many people are surprised to find OE has downloaded their email unexpectedly.  All that is necessary is for the person to click on a "Mail to" link, or click on the Mail icon on their IE Button bar.

The solution for those who do not wish to use OE is to open the program and select Tools/Accounts/Mail tab.  Select the Comcast default mail account, and click on the Remove button.  Be sure to move any messages out of the webmail Inbox before doing this or they will be downloded when OE is opened.

Message Edited by Chief-Mac on 07-28-2006 11:28 PM

Chief-Mac,

To add to your advice, and to warn the OP...be careful about removing a user Account, whether it's in Outlook Express, or Outlook, or any e-mail client which may have downloaded your messages from the Comcast e-mail server.  You may lose the messages that were downloaded, if you delete the account from the e-mail client.

If someone does unknowingly have their e-mail downloaded to a client, when that client doesn't leave those messages on the Comcast server, then deleting the client's account may permanently lose any downloaded messages.  And most e-mail clients don't leave messages on the Comcast server, when using default settings.
Service Expert
Queen-Evie

[ Edited ]
Good points Mac and Bartleby. I've never used the Comcast cd-always configured OE myself.
And the OP did need the information concerning loss of mail if the account is deleted.
One more thing he/she should know. If the OE (or any other email client) account is deleted he/she will NOT be able to use any Mail Me links on webpages, as an email client is needed for this. The only option would be to make note of the address in the To field, then go into webmail and enter it into the To field when composing a new message. Mac, there is an option to keep the account but not have it download messages when Mail To or the program itself is opened.

To the OP-if you wish to retain the ability to send mail from the Mail Me links, you can configure OE so that it will send but not download any messages to it when OE is opened. This is the option I recommend-you have mail there that you may not want to lose. (If you choose to delete the account, you will have to save any mail you want to keep).
To disable Receiving, open OE. At the top of the page, click on Tools/Accounts/Mail Tab. Highlight the account you wish to change, then choose Properties to the left of that.
General tab, uncheck Include this account when receiving or synchronizing, click Apply.
You will still be able to view messages already there, but it won't download anymore mail into it.
I'm curious about why you don't want to use Outlook or OE. Webmail is very basic, email clients have more features than webmail. It's your choice of course, which to use.

Message Edited by Queen-Evie on 07-29-2006 09:11 AM

Comcast employees must be authorized to post in the forum in an official capacity. Employees posting here have their names in red and are designated as employees. Names not in red are customers.

This is done to protect customers and for assurance that they are dealing with a Comcast employee.
Non-Authorized Employees are allowed to post but cannot state they are employees nor can they allude to being employees.