New Visitor
yvmc

email disappearing from inbox

emails have been "disappearing" from my inbox.  What is the problem?  Have had this service for over 2 years and have not had this problem.  Am considering switching my service provider as this has been occuring for a few onths now.  Have also had a problem with loss of email "group" lists diappearing.

yvmc

Email Expert
madylarian

Re: email disappearing from inbox

Have you tried changing your password to see if that stops it from happening?

mady

Honi soit qui mal y pense
New Visitor
yvmc

No, i haven't.  Will try it.

yvmc

New Visitor
KelleyE

My email has recently disappeared from my inbox too. I am missing ALL emails (from the inbox) prior to March 16th. Everything was there a couple of days ago. I have 2 accounts, and this happened in both accounts. I think this is a Comcast issue, and I'd like them to look into it. I need those saved emails!

New Visitor
pweisserth

Me too! I strongly dislike comcast's email.... WHY can't I get new messages to load online when I can still see them on my iphone which is synced to teh same comcast email account??!!! It makes no senseMy phone says I have new messages and my inbox on the comcast site tells me there are "No messages"!!! what the....???!!!!

Email Expert
Latoque

pweisserth wrote:

Me too! I strongly dislike comcast's email.... WHY can't I get new messages to load online when I can still see them on my iphone which is synced to teh same comcast email account??!!! It makes no senseMy phone says I have new messages and my inbox on the comcast site tells me there are "No messages"!!! what the....???!!!!

Try clearing your browser's cache, including cookies, temporary internet files and browsing history.  Sometimes there are conflicting or corrupted items in there that can cause all kinds of trouble.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________
These are customer to customer support forums. We are paying customers just like you. We volunteer our time to try and help other customers with how-to help, and troubleshoot problems if we can. We can't look at your account. The only Comcast employees in the forums are those with their names in RED.
New Visitor
will70th

My Comcast inbox also has disappearing messages. My son has looked at his Comcast mailbox and also sees the same issue. There are no messages in the inbox. However, we both use Microsoft Outlook Express to "grab" the messages from Comcast's POP mail server ***AND*** Outlook is set to ***LEAVE*** the messages on the Comcast server. This is ***NOT*** an issue with our computers needing to delete cookies, empty the cache, etc. This is ***CLEARLY*** an issue with Comcast on their end since many are seeing the same symptoms. Please continue calling Comcast so that they will "hopefully" fix ***THEIR*** problem. Thanks everyone! ~Will

New Visitor

I went into my comcast account yesterday and over 1000 inbox emails disappeared from January through April 15th. No one at comcast could give me an answer as to why. We brought up the comcast account on our Mac Book and all of the inbox emails were there.  None of the sent emails disappeared. I am switching to gmail and will cancel my comcast internet in search of a more reputable server

New Visitor

I have seen the same suggestion over and over about changing the password. Hogwash!! this is a comcast problem, so comcast please fix it!!!

New Visitor

Comcast started a ticket after I chatted live x 2 and called comcast x 2.  The live chat analyst said that the reponse may be as early as 72 hours but could take 6-9 days.  Grrrrrrrr!!! Really? 

New Visitor
Wheelin_Rev

Howdy everyone!!! Even though I just signed up today to the Comcast forums and I really do not like to begin my first post with a problem, I am going to make an exception today. :smileylaugh: One of the other newbs is my dad who posted above (will70th). I just wanted to add that my dad and I use different computers with different operating systems (OS) and even different web browsers to access the Comcast eMail service. I might also add that we also use different versions of Microsoft Outlook. Unlike my dad, I use Microsoft Outlook 2003 which is also set to leave messages on the Comcast server.

Sooooooo... If this problem is identical with the others, and there have been other threads dating back several years on similar experiences within the Comcast support forums, if I look at my "Inbox Preview" after logging into Xfinity Connect, it says that I have "unread mail" to the tune of 5 messages. Now, when I click on the "View Entire Inbox" hypertext link at the bottom of the preview window, there are no messages in the Inbox. Nothing. Empty. Gone. But not lost...

The messages are really there but they are "invisible" when the entire Inbox is viewed for some unknown reason. I know the messages are there, relatively speaking, because when Outlook queries the POP3 mail server, the messages do in-fact appear in my Outlook 2003 inbox. Checking once again, Outlook is definitely set to leave all messages on the Comcast servers.

This scenario is exactly what my dad is seeing and probably what many others here in the Comcast forum are reporting using various descriptions of their problem.

Let me give a thousand kudos to jump12 for taking the time to chat twice and phone twice with Comcast Support and followed by the successful opening of a trouble ticket on this problem with the Comcast mail service.

Well, I guess we all need to just wait for up to 9 days for Comcast to try and figure out just what seems to be amiss with their mail service. Granted it could be related to some goofy combination of just the right chain of circumstances for the mail to "disappear" from the Comcast inbox. That would explain why some do see their mail and others do not. But it is a good testimony that several independent posters have made similar comments about no mail being visible in their Comcast inbox but when polled by a standalone POP3 mail program, mail is actually downloaded. Others have also said that their parameters do instruct that the retrieved mail be left on the remote server.

This problem is obviously shared by multiple Comcast customers using apparent different computer configurations. If all goes well, the Comcast techs (or whoever maintains and troubleshoots the server-side executables) will discover the common thread and ultimately make all of us happy again.

Sorry for the somewhat lengthy post but I just wanted to make sure that when Comcast reviews this thread, that they will be able to gather as much information as is possible in hopes of finding the necessary fix to make everyone's mail visible again. I don't think that any mail has been permanently lost; at least from what I can tell. Finally, thank-you Comcast for taking us seriously for what does appear to be a Comcast-side problem.

Cheers, Dave

New Visitor
Wheelin_Rev

One other comment about my post above: I like to use the Comic Sans MS font, colors, emphasis, smileys, etc. in my writings. For some strange reason, even though I composed the message directly in the Comcast message window, i.e. I did not use Microsoft Word or other text editor, the Comcast message server said that I had invalid HTML in my message???!!!??? Oh well, I tried to fix the font and smiley face issues but the Comcast message server continued to complain. I gave up trying to make everything consistent and consented to the way Comcast had done the reformatting. Quirky stuff! Dave

Gold Problem Solver
BruceW

Wheelin_Rev wrote: ... The messages are really there but they are "invisible" when the entire Inbox is viewed for some unknown reason. I know the messages are there, relatively speaking, because when Outlook queries the POP3 mail server, the messages do in-fact appear in my Outlook 2003 inbox. ...

If you are able to demonstrate this consistently I would suggest you send your account information in a Private Message to Comcast employee cc_xc. He might be able to get to the bottom of it.

New Visitor

After reading Comcast's response(which took only 48 hours!!)  I think I know what may have happened (not saying that it should EVER have happened).  We purchased a Mac book on Sunday April 16th for my son. When I log into comcast on my PC all of the emails are gone prior to April 16th.  However, when my son logs into comcast from his Mac book, ALL of the inbox emails (1000+) show up.  So.......it appears that all of the inbox messages were transferred to his MAC. the messages did not transfer to Outlook.

After reading Comcast's response I changed my setting to forward all of my emails to my newly created gmail account and checked local copy so that it stays on the comcast email.At least that way I will have a backup.  (click on preferences, auto forward and fill in your email address and click save local copy). 

Here is the response from Comcast:

Comcast has received a report of email missing from your email . After further investigation, we have determined that your email has been downloaded to a third party email program and cannot be restored. We apologize for any inconvenience you may be experiencing from the loss of these messages. The following steps are recommended.

Check all Third Party Email Programs: The email may have been downloaded onto a device on your network without your awareness. Comcast recommends you review all third party email programs (such as Outlook Express, Microsoft Outlook, Windows Mail or Mac Mail) on all computers, tablets, and smartphones in your home. If you find the program that was used to download your missing messages, Comcast recommends changing the account properties in the mail program to leave a copy of the message on the server.

Change your Comcast Password: If you were unable to locate the missing email, we recommend that you change your password to prevent your current emails from being downloaded by the mail program and removed from our server. You can change your password by going to the Comcast Customer Central website -  Please ensure that your new password is strong (containing capital and lowercase letters, numbers, symbols allowed, and between 8 - 16 characters) and unique (Comcast recommends that you do not use this password for any other login website).

Thank you for choosing Comcast!

Sincerely,

Comcast Customer Security Assurance

Email Expert
madylarian

New Visitor
19CB79

This just happened to me! How do you find them? Another wonderful experience with Comcast...

Visitor

All my emails are gone too.  I am able to receive emails from support, but all of my others are gone.

Email Expert
CCCarole

Check your Email Deletion Schedule and see how many days each folder is set as to when the messages are deleted.  Go to Preferences>Email and then to the Email Deletion Schedule.

If that does not explain the disappearance, immediately change your password.  The new pass word should consist of upper & lower letters, some numbers, and a character or two.  Never use the same password on multiple sites.

Run a full virus scan of your PC.

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.

Visitor

That's not the problem.  It's on Comcast's end.  My settings are correct.  It is not a third party problem.  This is ocurring on any machine that I have access to whether using comcast or mozilla or iPhone or iPad2.  

I have already wasted valuable time with a useless representative for about 30 minutes this morning and changed and checked all my settings, everything she requested.  I can send an emails, I can get emails from customer service.  Nothing else comes through.  I need all my emails back from the weekend. 

New Visitor
19CB79

[ Edited ]

@ pmwilson44 - I had the same experience, 45 minutes with a representative and no clue of where the emails disappeared to. Unfortunately I use this for work, and also need my emails returned! I pay for this email, and have never experienced an issue like this with a free email site.

Email Expert
CCCarole

The Administrator has been notified of both your posts.

Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)

New Visitor

Please feel free to form the administrator that I am having the same problem.  I lost hundreds of emails between November 30, 2011 and July 24, 2012 -- when coincidentally Comcast had an email outage. I got the same crappy email response from Comcast, that they determined that the emails had been downloaded to a third-party server and were forever lost. I do not use ANY third party email client to access my comcast email, just the webmail at comcast.net.

I find their suggestion to change the password to be a little feeble. Sure, that may pacify a lot of their customers and make them believe this type of incident isn't Comcast's fault. Um... hello... changing my password isn't going to restore those missing emails, which is what I want! I find it hard to believe someone "hacked" into my comcast email just to delete a bunch of messages, and not even all of them, or current ones! Didn't break into any of my other accounts, didn't spoof my account and send a ton of spam. Just deleted a bunch of messages, and left thousands still on the server.

I'm moving over to gmail and will be cutting the cord with with Comcast as soon as I can set up a new ISP. I know they have millions of customers and couldn't care less, and that's exactly the problem. A company their size presumably has the resources to prevent or correct these types of problems (if not, shame on them), but apparently, there's not much profit in taking care of the folks who've been forking over $100+ per month for years. Even AT&T doesn't suck as bad as Comcast.

Contributor

Same problem here after several calls and chats. The representatives seem to be oblivious to the problem even though it is well documented. Has there been any kind of progress here?

Email Expert
CCCarole

Please provide more details of exactly what the prolem is you are having.  Are you using XfinityConnect?  Full or Lite version? 

Open XfinityConnect, click on Preferences, and then click on General.  A window will open showing you which version is checked. 

Do you also use an email client, such as Windows Live Mail,Outlook, etc. or do you also use a Smartphone?  Which one(s) Be specfic please.

Have you checked your email deletion schedule under Preferences, to see how long your Read and Unread messages in the Inbox are kept, befopre they are automatically deleted?

Post back please.

CC

Contributor

Thank you,

I am using Connect; full version

I use Outlook and a smartphone

Deletion is all set to "Never"

I use both Safari and Explorer on both OS X and Windows 8

New Visitor
zepp1159

I have had comcast Internet for many years and my inbox just cleared yesterday on it's own for the first time. I have not changed anything. I have always been able to view them on my Mac, iPad, and iPhone with no issue. Now everything is gone! There has got to be a way to restore them.
Contributor

Thanks to support for helping me on this. It turns out that my Gmail was the culprit. All I did was check the box for "leave copy of message on server". Now all messages are staying on my webmail application.

Contributor
SusanLC

I had this problem on 9/5/14. After hours of calling and being on hold, and given false promises of 24-72 hour solution, I got the form letter that someone above attached, that they got 2 years ago. The one about you must have a third party mail system, and it 'took' my coymcast mail. Yeah, sure, after years and years on comcast...this just happened..?? No way. So many of us have had this problem. But for me, it took me talking to Comcast Headquarters...after 1 and 1/2 weeks...so get this 2 year old form letter.

All of my important emails I moved to a personal folder called SAVED were 'erased'...years worth. Oh well. I have spent hours now looked at any phantom 3rd party mail system I may have....they aren't there.

New Visitor
Carasv

After a Refeash, cannot find old e-mail and my address book is emty? I contacted comcast, Still nothing. I even tried system restore? HELP!