New Visitor
oceanblues
Accepted Solution

email error message: zimlet "comcast_search"

For a week I have not been able to open email. I receive a critical error "zimlet 'comcast_search'. I am using Internet Explorer.  Tried the Comcast Customer Help chat line and received reply that this is a "glitch" that is being worked on.  Is anyone else having the same problem, and if so, were you able to get a "fix" to the problem?  I am able to see the message if I click "Reply" tab.

Silver Problem Solver
reasd

Re: email error message: zimlet "comcast_search"

Hello,

First I would try to clear the  cache, cookies and history in your browser. Next I would reset my browser to the defaults.

New Visitor

Help!! Thank goodness I have a 'smart phone!' I can not get my email at all online! It says 'undefined.' Waiting now 4 day for a reply.

Email Expert
JR071702

runninmom wrote:

Help!! Thank goodness I have a 'smart phone!' I can not get my email at all online! It says 'undefined.' Waiting now 4 day for a reply.

I would try each of these steps in order - retrying getting into Xfinity Connect after each step:

1) Clear your Internet Cache and History and clear your browser cookies.

2) Reset your browser to the default settings.

3) Try a different browser - Firefox, Chrome or Internet Explorer depending on your current browser.

JR

New Visitor

GOT IT!! THANK YOU!!!!

Official Employee
cc_xc

Hello,

This is a known symptom with Internet Explorer browser and we are working on a fix to address the issue.

Please try the following steps which should be a good work around to the error when opening emails:
A.
2. Login to your email and verify if error is still happening->if so move to step 3.
3) Backup your Internet Explorer browser "Bookmarks", then reset your browser to the default settings.
4. Login to your email and verify if error is still happening->if it is move to step5.
5) Try a different browser - Firefox, Chrome, or Internet Explorer depending on your current browser.

B.
Symptom: "Error has occurred while initializing zimlet Comcast search" When trying to access their e-mail

Diagnosis:  Known issue is with IE 8 or 9, and has an add on "Premium Play Codec-c" installed in IE

Solution: Uninstalling this add-on should resolve this issue. If the issue continues please reinstall IE8 (IE9 default installation includes this add-on, so while installing IE9 the user has to choose Custom installation and avoid this add-on).

We are working on a fix to address this issue.

New Visitor

Had the same problem yesterday to make a long story short Comcast tried everything told me it was my computer.  Talked with my son had me go onto Google Chrome.  Have no problem now.  Guess Comcast isn't trained very well!  Good luck.  Made Google Chome my home page also!

Visitor

I had the same problem for the last month.  After numerous calls and online chats with the Comcast people and after trying all their suggestions -- which did not fix the problem -- I finally gave up and started using Windows Live Mail to access my email.  That system is simple to set up and is terrific!  Apparently Comcast is either unwilling or unable to get to the root of the problem with the "zimlet comcast_search" error.  For as much money as I send to them every month, I expect better technical support.  Suggestions such as "try another browser" tell me that Comcast is too lazy and/or cheap to provide the support that we are PAYING for!!

Bronze Star Contributor

CC phone tech told me to switch to either the lite version or regular version depending on what Iwas using. It worked on 2 comps so far and didnt have to change much else. WEW hope it helps

New Visitor
kingdomofangels

I am having a problem reading my email, when I open my email the text is blank, can't read anything. Please  fix this problem

thx

Bronze Star Contributor

First of all I have to say i am no way a fixer of anything but my own comps and even then only sometimes, just ask my wife.lol My understanding is this is a forum where one can find out info to help the comp owner sometimes fix a problem they have. Not sure who you may think will fix it for you. I understand the frustration you are having having been there many time with many comp issues over the years. There are some amazing folks on here who can direct you  in some way but without them knowing more info such as what version of IE you are using if in fact you are using IE. The other thing is what have  you tried to do to fix it if anything. Just a heads on on what the forum is basically for as far as I can tell is to help one fix it and not actually fiox it for one. Hope someone jumps on this for you and you get it working. Let us know how you make out as it helps us all.

Contributor
debmar15

This just started happening today..   Did I do something that caused this..  Makes no sense.. 

Email Expert
CCCarole

debmar15 wrote:

This just started happening today..   Did I do something that caused this..  Makes no sense.. 

Did you try the suggestions made by JR (Email Expert) in Message number 4???

Post back with details please.  Which version of XfnityConnect, (Full or Lite)which browser/version you use?

CC

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.

New Visitor

'''Need to uninstall all of Adobe 10.x versions''' on pc or laptop, and also '''uninstall K-Lite codec from applications/programs installed'''.  Remove all associated Adobe add-0ns also.
Clear out all IE and Firefox temp/cache/history.  
Install Adobe Reader 9.5.0 (or if need full version Adobe 9.5.0).  This will fix the problem.
I contact Microsoft, HP, and Comcast and no one knew how to fix the problem.
Able to open up  Hotmail, and Yahoo emails with pdf files without any further problems. 

Contributor
debmar15

I read what someone said about adobe 10 and uninstalling it but I didn't have adobe 10 so I started looking at what got installed around the time that this started happening and I had something called fox media so I uninstalled that and something called, i want it  no clue what that was so anything there from the day before that was installed I uninstalled and it seems to be working now.    I guess some installs have problems with comcast email...  although if you look at the posts out there this has been going on since 2008 you would think comcast would have a handle on it already.

Contributor
debmar15

I didin't have adobe 10, but noticed some installs from the day before this all started happening, so I uninstalled about 3 installs one was fox media, one wa,s I want it..  no cluewhat that was and some tool bars which shouldn't have caused any issue.  It seems to be working now.   Thanks for the idea...   of uninstalling....

Visitor

I just got zapped with the "zimlet comcast search" nonsense.  I too cannot access my emails now.  It locked up all my email functions....now what???

Contributor
debmar15

None of comcast's suggestions worked for me so     go look at the programs that were installed was something installed recently.  Some programs got installed the day before the problem for me so I uninstall it, that's what helped me.   There must be software installs that must be making comcast mail not work.   i think this is comcast's problem but since i've seen posts since 2008 i don't think they are too concerned with fixing it.

New Visitor
kz9298

@ Debmar15 - thank you thank you.....I also located a program called" I want it" that was installed today.....I uninstalled and the error went away..:smileygrin:

New Visitor
janetd1215

Good to know!  I couldn't open a Powerpoint file in an e-mail the other day even though I have Powerpoint on my computer, and installed an "Easy-open" program that also installed a couple of other programs, I think.  I started seeing the Zimlet error right after that, so I assumed it had something to do with that.  I can open the e-mails from the preview page, and now I can see the Powerpoint file, but can't open e-mails from the Inbox itself.  I was wondering if uninstalling those new programs would help, or if the damage was done.  I'm at work right now, but when I get home I'm gonna give it a try!  Thanks!

New Visitor
COUNTRY74

DID YOU GET HELP...I'M GETTING THE SAME MESSAGE...

Contributor
debmar15

Great just curious do you know what that "I want it" is or where it came from?  I don't actually remember installing it.  I'm very cautious about installs....

New Visitor
COUNTRY74

Thanks for your help..email is working...

New Visitor
dick1920

i have the same trouble when i try to open my e-mail . how can i get rid of it 

Visitor

I've had the same problem for about 1 1/2 weeks.  After spending  hours on chat and more time reading these, I just gave up today and am using chrome.  I just give up.... I'm unhappy with having to change my browser but it has to be a glich between IE and comcasts program.  I even tried to uninstall IE and reinstall it. You might want to cut your time losses and choose another browser..... Good Luck 

Contributor
debmar15

I no longer have the problem uninstalled some apps that got installed that were causing the issue. 

Visitor

Wonder if comcast could get more interested in fixing this problem if we all started to deduct $ until we get to use what we pay for everyday????

Email Expert
JR071702

Mamadix wrote:

Wonder if comcast could get more interested in fixing this problem if we all started to deduct $ until we get to use what we pay for everyday????

I would try each of these steps in order - retrying getting into Xfinity Connect after each step:

2) Reset your browser to the default settings.

3) Try a different browser - Firefox, Chrome or Internet Explorer depending on your current browser.

JR

New Visitor

HELP HELP HELP i CAN NOT PULL UP VERY IMPORTANT DOCUMENTS IT NEED TO BE FIX YESTERDAY!

New Visitor

Same here - zimlet error --- :smileyangry:

no help from comcast !!!!!

I just installed Google Chrome - no help.

I can't open any emails !!!

New Visitor
kellysw

I am also receiving the Zimlet response and cannot add attatchments to my outgoing emails....Comcast has been no help at all..Any ideas???

Already changed web browsers went in and deleted added (not by me) programs and I cannot attatch any of my work on outgoing emails-Very frustrating!

New Visitor

JUST WONDERING IF COMCAST IS READING THIS --- ?

Web Page Expert
BethKatz

BushPilot wrote:

JUST WONDERING IF COMCAST IS READING THIS --- ?

In general, no. This is primarily a customer-to-customer help forum. Comcast employees with their names in red do sometimes come in here and answer questions and help.

But to be sure someone at Comcast has heard your concerns, you need to contact Comcast directly.

New Visitor
angelaf1

I, too, am not able to open my e- mail and am getting a message -- zimlet comcast seach, etc. etc. 

Email Expert
CCCarole

Comcast is aware of this issue and has been working on it. We do not know when it will be fixed.  If you must get into your email, you can use the very basic m.comcast.net to read your messages.

Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)

New Visitor
kellysw

After being utterly frustrated to say the least-I reset my computer to a date last month when I knew the "glitch" wasn't there~ and everything works fine :smileyhappy:

Visitor

Just call Comcast, they'll walk you through the fix.

New Visitor

comcast fixed my e-mail. thank you so much. But my friends e-mail will not work for her now. She is on the same account.

Visitor

I am having the exact same problem but I have not found a fix. I am trying to reach comcast by phone maybe it's a setting.  

New Visitor
zimletfix

How to fix the zimlet error

Back up your boomarks to a place you can find them later, ie desktop

From Tools->Internet Options->Advanced

Click on Restore advanced settings

Click on Reset

You will be asked if you are sure if they want to do this

Then will then be prompted to restart IE

log back in and the zimlet error will be gone

Visitor

Hello,

Will you please tell me how to stop this error, Re: Zimlet "Comcast-search".  This Critical error comes up every time I go to my email & pull up the first message, The screen darkens and it says to notify an administrator but when I click on this, the error warning goes off.  I have contacted Comcast & Microsoft.  Microsoft connected me with live chat and this technician took over my computer for almost 3 hours..  He then came back & said that my computer was so corrupted that only  he could fix it with a quick fix for $99.00 or it would be better to use the 2 pack solution for $198.00.  I refused & contacted my Norton security service & there is absolutely no problem with my computer.  This has to be a Fraud situation.  I'm sure that there is a record of this action at Microsoft & Comcast.  Please get back to me.  I have always gotten good service with Comcast, but if this can't be corrected, I will lood for another server.

Robbie Fields

Bronze Star Contributor

Is there any reason people that are posting with problems havent read the fixes folks have taken the time to post? Lots of great help but yet folks just post and dont read. Just wondering... BTW Microsoft chrages those prices and doubt its  a fraud. jmho

Contributor
debmar15

Thank you I did post what I did to rid my computer of the problem.  Please read the posts above. 

New Visitor
mayaangel

i am having a similar problem everytime i sign in to check my email in get the zimlet message. 

Email Expert
CCCarole

Please read the suggestions made further up in this Thread to try.

New Visitor
kellysw

I read all of the suggestions....But I have found that it must have been a system fault because it corrected after a week of me doing nothing.

New Visitor
haleybug1

this error message zimlet"comcast_search" occurs everytime I try to enter my e-mail ,this need to be resolved

I need answers this has been going on for almost a month and I am pretty sick of it. 

Email Expert
CCCarole

haleybug1 wrote:

this error message zimlet"comcast_search" occurs everytime I try to enter my e-mail ,this need to be resolved

I need answers this has been going on for almost a month and I am pretty sick of it. 

Comcast is aware of this issue and has been working to resolve it.

Which browser & which version of the browser do you use?

Have you cleared your browser cache?

Have you tried a different browser?

Did you read the suggestions posted in this thread to try yet?

If you cannot get to your email, as a work-around, you should be able to read your email using m.comcat.net  Which is very basic email program.

CC

Bronze Star Contributor

Haley  its possible that if you read the many above solutions you just might find one that works for you.  That is the reason we bother to put them on here so they can be used and hopefully help. Take a deep breath and give them a try. If its been going on for almost a month and you are now just looking for help I would hate to see if you really had a problem.. Its only an error message and not a blue screen of death.. Deep  breath....:smileywink:

New Visitor
LORRAINE777

[ Edited ]

I have not received a resolution to my problem.  I have concated Comcast and was told it was my computer.  I get the error message when I first sign in to my email.  The screen turns gray with the "zimlet" message. If anyon has a fix please let me know.