Contributor
hoggiedoggie
Accepted Solution

email - problems

[ Edited ]

Help please, In order to get my email I have to click send/receive, wait, says it is connected, shows the number of emails and then error message comes up. After closing out and going back and clicking on send/receive as many a 3 times the mail finally will come thru. Any ideas what is causing this. Thanks in advance (Using outlook express) Windows XP

Email Expert
Latoque

Re: email - problems

Did this start recently?  Try going straight to the Comcast webmail and see if everything works that way.  If it does, then there is probably something going on with OE.  Can you post the entire error message?  Be sure to redact any email addresses in it by obfuscating the user name portion to the left of the @ sig.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________
These are customer to customer support forums. We are paying customers just like you. We volunteer our time to try and help other customers with how-to help, and troubleshoot problems if we can. We can't look at your account. The only Comcast employees in the forums are those with their names in RED.
Contributor
hoggiedoggie

[ Edited ]

After clicking on send/receive and waiting for a while, an error message appears that say "your server has not responded in 60 seconds, do you want to wait or stop. Then a second error message appears that says

Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity. Account: ', Server: 'MAIL.COMCAST.NET', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F

After going through this 3 or 4 times, I will finally recieve my incoming email messages. It has been happening for months.

Email Expert
Latoque

hoggiedoggie wrote:

Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity. Account: ', Server: 'MAIL.COMCAST.NET', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F

After going through this 3 or 4 times, I will finally recieve my incoming email messages. It has been happening for months.

Right then.  Go into your settings in Outlook for the Comcast account, and change the incoming port from 110 to 995.  See if that does it. 

___________________________________________________________________________________________________
These are customer to customer support forums. We are paying customers just like you. We volunteer our time to try and help other customers with how-to help, and troubleshoot problems if we can. We can't look at your account. The only Comcast employees in the forums are those with their names in RED.
Contributor
hoggiedoggie

Changed incoming port from 110  to  995 and same problem???

Email Expert
Latoque

Did you try sending an email using only the webmail?  I'm not familiar with Outlook, so I can't advise further on that .  There are others in here who use it though and maybe one of them can help you more with that.  But you need to try and send from the webmail just to eliminate it as the cause of the problem.

Contributor
hoggiedoggie

Sorry, but I don't know how to do web mail, but I want to thank you for trying to help, I really appreciate it.

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

[ Edited ]

From the Comcast home http://xfinity.comcast.net/home/x/ click either Email on the left side of the page OR Connect in the black bar across the top. If not signed in when will be asked to sign in.

The page that opens is Xfinity Connect which web mail.

Here is info on the error number you receive:

0x800CCC0F

Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity. Account. mail.comcast.net, Server: 'server_name', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '+OK', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F
Your antivirus program is conflicting with your email program which is preventing your email from being downloaded.  Try the following steps in order to resolve this issue:
  1. Enable outbound authentication for your outgoing email server and enable SSL authentication.  If you are using Outlook Express, open the options for your email account and under the Servers tab, put a check in the My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication. Then move to the Advanced tab and place a check in both of the This server requires an encrypted connection options at the top.  The outgoing server port should automatically change from 110 to 995 which is the correct setting.  But you will need to manually change the outgoing port number from 25 to 465.  Once these changes have been made, close the OE options menus and try accessing your email again.  If you are using an email program other than Outlook Express, the same options mentioned above should be available in the email settings but if you need assistance, please post a new topic and indicate what email program you use and that you need assistance with enabling authentication and SSL.
  2. If step one above does not resolve the issue, you will need to disable email scanning for your antivirus program (emails are still scanned by the Comcast system and your antivirus will still be scanning files on your computer so this will not make you vulnerable to computer viruses).  Exact instructions for disabling email scanning in your antivirus will differ depending on your antivirus maker.  Typically, you will need to open your antivirus options page and look through these options for Email Scanning and disable the incoming and outgoing scanning options.  If you are using Norton Internet Security 2006, follow the instructions in Anon1553127's first post in this thread.  If you need further assistance with this step, please post a new topic in this email forum and state what brand of antivirus program you have and that you are seeking assistance with disabling the email scanning options.
  3. If the 0x800ccc0f error continues after following steps 1 and 2 above, try logging into www.comcast.net and check your email this way.  While viewing your email, try deleting any un-needed emails (e.g. particularly spam emails).  Once your inbox is clean of un-needed emails, try using your email program again.

Comcast employees must be authorized to post in the forum in an official capacity. Employees posting here have their names in red and are designated as employees. Names not in red are customers.

This is done to protect customers and for assurance that they are dealing with a Comcast employee.
Non-Authorized Employees are allowed to post but cannot state they are employees nor can they allude to being employees.

Email Expert
Latoque

OK you said you were using Outlook---right?  Outlook is an email client program on your computer.  If you sign on to your Comcast account it should take you to the Home page.  Look in the left side column and one of the first things you should see is "Email", with maybe a number on it to indicate any unread emails you have waiting for you. 

So then click on "Email", and that should take you to the "Inbox Preview" page, where you will see a summary of the emails, the Comcast Calendar and Xfinity Voice (some people have one, two or all 3 of these services).  Then click on either the Email button in the toolbar, or on the one just above the messages that says "View Entire Inbox".  That in turn should put you at the Inbox.

The difference is that with a client like Outlook, you download the messages from the comcast mail server someplace, onto your computer.  With webmail like Comcast, Yahoo or Hotmail, the emails reside on the server, and stay there until you delete them.  You are only using your computer like a TV set, only instead of watching the Soaps, you are looking at email messages.  So with the client program you have complete control over your email.

So try it------sign on to your Comcast account and then follow the path I laid out above.  Let us know if it works.

Contributor
hoggiedoggie

Thank you for your help. I followed the steps that you provided and my email is coming through great.

I really appreciate the help.

Contributor
hoggiedoggie

Thanks for your help with this problelm. It is fixed now and my email is coming through faster than ever.

Email Expert
Latoque

Glad I was able to help you get it all sorted.

:Snoopy02

Contributor
augustlily11

It won't work. That area is all grayed out. I tried the quick thing and it won't work because I don't know what number it is asking for me to enter there.

This is a huge waste of time and I am really upset about not getting my e-mails through Outlook Express.

I think you have changed ports. Everyone of them I have tried that Comcast has suggested will not work.

Why is there nothing on the Xfinity page where you get your e-mails to default there? Would help a lot of us I am sure and also some list of errors we get often.

Please help. I am at my wits' end. I tried calling someone and they couldn't do anything but tell me to create a new account on Outlook. I already did that.

Darned, you people at Xfinity want us to have to use your products and make it so we can't use what we like best. This is not acceptable for me not to have a choice. I realize OE is not going help is not going to be around after 2014. Naturally, so we all have to buy newer computers and more programs. I am on a fixed income. E-mails are what I look forward to the most. OE is the simplest e-mail and you get the e-mail not a whole page of advertisements and links. You all want to make things complicated. I want them simpler.

I am sure I am not the only one who would rather have something simpler and more pleasing to the eye.

Email Expert
Latoque

augustlily11 wrote:

It won't work. That area is all grayed out. I tried the quick thing and it won't work because I don't know what number it is asking for me to enter there.---------------------------

Why is there nothing on the Xfinity page where you get your e-mails to default there?

What area is greyed out?  Something in Xfinity or in OE?

And no, sadly, there is no easy way to go directly to the email page.

Contributor
augustlily11

In Outlook where it says default and has two boxes for checking that. They are grayed out.

New Visitor

I have already tried the information given.  I have not been able to read my emails.

Email Expert
Latoque

Without better information, try typing "m.comcast.net/m"  into your search engine.  That should take you to a link for the mobile app for comcast mail.  It's very basic but useful to access your email until you get the rest of the problem squared away.

Contributor
augustlily11

Hi,

After trying everything suggested and chatting with Comcast, I ended up having to just do a system restore and that fixed it.

I also removed two programs that seemed to interfere with my Explorer and my Outlook. Right now things seem a lot better and I can read my e-mails again.

I was also advised to make a new e-mail setup. I managed to do that and get my address book and all my messages over to that one. However, it makes it hard when they ask what the former password was to your e-mail. I can't remember and I have so many of them.

I hope system restore will help you. It was my last chance and it seems to have worked so far.

I know how frustrating it is not to be able to get your e-mail. I don't like Comcast's e-mail. It is so complicated and it is not one bit user friendly nor is it easy to read like Outlook Express is. Too many ads and other stuff. Seems awfully complicated.

The only reason I go to it at all is to delete the messages because they can climb up to hundreds in no time.

Email Expert
CCCarole

augustlily11 wrote:

Hi,

After trying everything suggested and chatting with Comcast, I ended up having to just do a system restore and that fixed it.

I also removed two programs that seemed to interfere with my Explorer and my Outlook. Right now things seem a lot better and I can read my e-mails again.

I was also advised to make a new e-mail setup. I managed to do that and get my address book and all my messages over to that one. However, it makes it hard when they ask what the former password was to your e-mail. I can't remember and I have so many of them.

I hope system restore will help you. It was my last chance and it seems to have worked so far.

I know how frustrating it is not to be able to get your e-mail. I don't like Comcast's e-mail. It is so complicated and it is not one bit user friendly nor is it easy to read like Outlook Express is. Too many ads and other stuff. Seems awfully complicated.

The only reason I go to it at all is to delete the messages because they can climb up to hundreds in no time.

If you primarily use OutlookExpress for email, you can go to the Advanced tab in your OE settings and set it to  NOT save copes of Your  messages on the server after downloading to OE.  You would need to do this for each  username you have set up in Outlook Express.

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.

New Visitor

What gives with Comcast.net email today?  Haven't been able to pull up any mail since 715am this morning. 

New Visitor

Can't get mail on two other computers or my smartphone.  What gives?

Email Expert
CCCarole
New Visitor
philkro

i use Outlook Express - from my desktop icon - I have my SMTP set at 463 and my Pop3 at 995 - I get a time out message when I open up OE or when I click send/receive. I dont ususally access my email from comcast,net - I prefer OE. Please help. PK
Email Expert
CCCarole

philkro wrote:
i use Outlook Express - from my desktop icon - I have my SMTP set at 463 and my Pop3 at 995 - I get a time out message when I open up OE or when I click send/receive. I dont ususally access my email from comcast,net - I prefer OE. Please help. PK

Re-check all settings and all Identities in OE.

SMTP should be Port 465 with SSL ON

POP should be 995 with SSL ON

This server requires Authentication should be ON

SPA ( secure password authentication( should be OFF

Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)

New Visitor
philkro

THanks - I did that and get this mesage.

Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity. Account: 'mail.comcast.net', Server: 'mail.comcast.net', Protocol: POP3, Port: 995, Secure(SSL): Yes, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F

Email Expert
CCCarole
Email Expert
CCCarole
Visitor

[ Edited ]

Having problems with emails.  Can see the number of emails, however I cannot open the emails.  Any suggestions. Using Windows 7.

Do you use XfinityConnect? No

Do you use an email client?  Outlook 
Which browser/version do you use? Internet Explorer

Have you cleared your browser cache? Yes
Which operating system? Windows 7 

Email Expert
CCCarole

What are you using for email?  Is it that you cannot get past the 'loading' spinning circle when you click on Email for XfinityConnect?

Whihc version of Internet Explorer do you use?

If your issue is with XfinityConnect, and not with Outlook, read on and follow all suggestions listed.

If you are unable to open email in XfinityConnect, please try this:

Clear your browser cache of temporary internet files and cookies.

Directions for each browser can be found in this clickable link:

http://www.wikihow.com/Clear-Your-Browser%27s-Cache

Also, certain browser Add-ons causes issues with Xfinity Connect.  Check this link on how to disable the add-ons:

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/E-Mail-and-Xfinity-Connect-Help/ZIMLET-SEARCH-ERROR-ISSUE/td-p/1402019

Windows Updates released Internet Explorer Version 10 recently.

Microsoft has added Comcast.net as one of the domains for Compatibility view, so IE10 should automatically switch to Compatibility mode when using the Xfinity website.

If you still cannot access your email, and have updated to Version 10 to use as your browser:

Make sure to Compatibility View in IE Ver. 10 under Tools is enabled.

IF THIS DOES NOT ALLOW YOU INTO YOUR INBOX, REPLY WITH THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION:

Which browser/version do you use?

Which version of XfinityConnect are you using?  (To check: Open XfinityConnect, click on Preferences, and then click on General.  A window will open showing you which version is checked)

Have you tried accessing your email with a different browser; such as Firefox or Chrome?

Do you also use an email client?  Which one/version?

Post back with all the answers

CC