Contributor

email with Windows 8.1

Since going to windows 8.1 my comcast email doesn't work. Get no comcast mail at all.

Recognized Contributor
BrandonP

Re: email with Windows 8.1

What are you using to check your email? web browser, windows live mail, etc?  Are you getting any error messages?  I've been using 8.1 for a couple months and haven't had any problem getting email.  Are you getting any error messages?

Contributor

Using Google.  Microsoft told me Windows 8.1 doesn't support Comcast, only imap emails. How are you getting comcast emails?

Even going to comcast mail I don't show any emails.

Recognized Contributor
BrandonP

I normally use Outlook 2010 but I can also use the website on Firefox and IE to check email without problems.  Are you sure that you have unread emails?

Contributor

Yes. I get 30 or more a day. I have Gmail also and am trying to change all my incoming emails to gmail, however I still have some contacts who use my comcast addr to send me emails.

Email Expert
Latoque

[ Edited ]

nfergie wrote:

Using Google.  Microsoft told me Windows 8.1 doesn't support Comcast, only imap emails. How are you getting comcast emails?

Even going to comcast mail I don't show any emails.

I have 8.1 on my laptop and I can see my Comcast email just fine.  It's a webpage same as any other.  You should be able to see it just using your browser.  It's not that 8.1 doesn't support Comcast.  It's that the native mail app that comes with 8.1 doesn't support the POP3 protocol.  It does support the use of IMAP though.  I haven't bothered to set it up yet as I just got the machine and haven't had the time to look at the mail app yet.  But in the meantime  I can still access the webmail  same as always.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________
These are customer to customer support forums. We are paying customers just like you. We volunteer our time to try and help other customers with how-to help, and troubleshoot problems if we can. We can't look at your account. The only Comcast employees in the forums are those with their names in RED.
Recognized Contributor
BrandonP

Are you able to login to your email account and see no new mail or do you get error(s)?  If you don't have an email client other than the web page, you can install windows live mail and use that.

Contributor

Doesn't windows live mail use pop3

Recognized Contributor
BrandonP

[ Edited ]

Yes it does.  When they said Windows 8.1 doesn't support POP3, they meant the native app doesn't support it but you can use Windows Live Mail with POP3 in Windows 8.1.

Email Expert
CCCarole

nfergie

Please know that if you have a email program configured (such as WLM) your email is downloaded by DEFAULT to that email program and is REMOVED from the server(Comcast Inbox)  If you want copies of email to stay on the server though, you need to go into the Advanced settings in that email program and check the box which says: Leave a copy of messages on the server.

Otherwise you will find your new email in the INBOX of whatever email program you are using.

Windows Live Mail can be set up with POP or with IMAP.

CC

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.

New Visitor
2mdeaver

I have downloaded Windows Live Mail to my Windows 8.1 PC.  I've followed Comcast's instructions for the server and Port settings but my email will still not connect.  I'm using POP3 with port 995 incoming and 465 outgoing.  I followed all other instructions regarding which boxes to check.  Am I missing something? 

New Visitor
2mdeaver

How?????  I can't get Windows Live Mail to connect even though I've followed Comcast's server and port settings...

Email Expert
Latoque

What happens when you try to send an email using WLM?  Are you getting an error message?  If you are using IE-10 or 11, do you have Compatibility view enabled for Comcast.net?  You'll find it under "Tools".

___________________________________________________________________________________________________
These are customer to customer support forums. We are paying customers just like you. We volunteer our time to try and help other customers with how-to help, and troubleshoot problems if we can. We can't look at your account. The only Comcast employees in the forums are those with their names in RED.
Contributor

Just upgraded from Windows 8 to 8.1.  Now, Comcast webmail site, xfinity.comcast.net, no longer functions properly.  Can no longer use mouse to highlight emails (so as to delete a group).  Other functions no longer work.

Email Expert
Latoque

ohmark wrote:

Just upgraded from Windows 8 to 8.1.  Now, Comcast webmail site, xfinity.comcast.net, no longer functions properly.  Can no longer use mouse to highlight emails (so as to delete a group).  Other functions no longer work.

Did you enable Compatibility view like I posted upthread?

Contributor

[ Edited ]

No, I didn't haven't, but I rebooted a few hours later and the Xfinity email website was working normally for me.  During the time it wasn't working normally, I tried using Chrome, and the email website worked normally.

However, I think it's way passed time that Comcast's techies give us the Connect mobile email app for Windows 8--which I would immediately start using on my Windows 8 all-in-one. 

Email Expert
CCCarole

Visitor
cqui

my comcast email is having problems on my new windows 8.1also! It won't store email older than 3 days. No one knows anything about the windows 8.1 system either. They say its too new! What!!!!!!?????

Email Expert
Latoque

We need better information.  Are you using only the Comcast webmail in a browser, or are you trying to use the email client that comes with 8.1?

Contributor

I'm using Eudora and have no problem with that in 8.1.  But what I'd like would be a Connect app to use in 8.1 (with usability like Connect for IOS).

New Visitor
marilynbezo

I have Windows 8.1 and Comcast. I can receive e-mail, but cannot send. I get the following error:

The connection to the server has failed.

Subject 'Re: Seattle news....Re: Month of June!!!!!'
Server: 'smtp.comast.net'
Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC0E
Protocol: SMTP
Port: 465
Secure(SSL): Yes
Socket Error: 10061

Bronze Problem Solver

marilynbezo wrote:

I have Windows 8.1 and Comcast. I can receive e-mail, but cannot send. I get the following error:

The connection to the server has failed.

Subject 'Re: Seattle news....Re: Month of June!!!!!'
Server: 'smtp.comast.net'
Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC0E
Protocol: SMTP
Port: 465
Secure(SSL): Yes
Socket Error: 10061

The name of the Comcast server is smtp.comCast.net, not smtp.comast.net. I was scratching my head a bit before I noticed the typo because the "Socket Error: 10061" indicates "connection refused" (as opposed to "connection timed out") which is rare on the Internet these days. I only know of one other outfit that handles things that way. This info might come in handy someday, so thanks!

New Visitor
marilynbezo

Steve Baker you completely rock! OMG, I've been working on this for 3 hours and was mad at Comcast--and it was my own typo!!!

Red in the face!

New Visitor
ejtr

Switched to windows 8.1 and migrated comcast email to IMAP in outlook.

Receive emails just fine, but will not send. Everything stays in outgoing folder and am consistently asked for a digital certificate.

Any ideas?

New Visitor
Rajeshm

I have registered myself  with Comcast to get comcast email using Outlook 2010 under Windows 8.1 using IMAP protocol. But I am not able to send my email through outlook. I believe there is some settings problems which I have not been able to resolve. I have contacted Comcast few times at 1-888-517-5296 (24/7). I have been promised a phone call within ONE hour but it has not yet happened. Looks like John Oliver was right about Comcast support to its customers. I know it is a simple problem to fix if one can know how to fix it. Until Comcast customer calls me I will keep sending my emails from my office computer via POP3 protocol.

Rajesh

Bronze Problem Solver

Rajeshm wrote:

I have registered myself  with Comcast to get comcast email using Outlook 2010 under Windows 8.1 using IMAP protocol. But I am not able to send my email through outlook. I believe there is some settings problems which I have not been able to resolve. I have contacted Comcast few times at 1-888-517-5296 (24/7). I have been promised a phone call within ONE hour but it has not yet happened. Looks like John Oliver was right about Comcast support to its customers. I know it is a simple problem to fix if one can know how to fix it. Until Comcast customer calls me I will keep sending my emails from my office computer via POP3 protocol.

Rajesh

Well, you don't send email via POP3 or IMAP, you send it via SMTP. Check your SMTP settings, they should be:

Port 465

Enable SSL

Enable "My server requires authentication" (or something similar... "simple password" (or similar) if there are optons)... Do NOT enable Secure Password Authentication.

New Visitor

sorry i didn't  notice i left out the c

Email Expert
Latoque

Moved for personal information--------email address

Email Expert
Latoque

Moved for personal information-------email address

Visitor

I just can't log in . I get a lot of run-around and finally leave in frustration. Now  I mam experiencing problems logging on to my Comcast account on windows 7 to get my e-mails

OOOgundipe

Visitor

This a most frustrating!!!

New Visitor
pduff

I recently switched to Windows 8.1. I have always accessed my comcast email only through Outlook and have loved that I never had to look at ads or have had problems with my contact list being hijacked. For awhile while Outlook wasn't working for me I had to access email through my browser IE (not sure which version) had to make a new passwordfor my comcast account  etc. ANd I started to sign up for the connect app, but then decided not to because I didn't like all the implications of third party sharing etc in the privacy policy agreement. Now various parts of Outlook seem glitchy and different and  I contantly get popups from xfinity connect saying you have not finished configuring your xfinity connect in Outlook.

Are these pop ups a result of having started to download the app, and if so how do I uninstall it. Or are they a result of switching to Windows 8.1? I like having my email only on my laptop. How do I keep it that way?

Email Expert
Latoque

[ Edited ]

I don't have Outlook, so I'm not sure I can answer that part of it.  But you have options--------------

Comcast webmail is POP3 compliant by default. The mail client that comes packaged with

Windows 8.1 doesn't support the use of the POP3 protocol. Only IMAP. So if you want to use

your Comcast email in that client you need to use IMAP If you don't want to do that, and you still want to use a client, you can use Windows Live Mail,   Mozilla Thunderbird, or some other one.

Supposedly a majority of customers are now IMAP compliant, but if you aren't you'll need to sign up for the beta currently running.

You can get the sign-up for the IMAP beta here-------------

https://xcsignup.comcast.net/onboardingapps/imap

After you register the account, you are supposed to get a confirmation about 24 hours later, and

the whole process takes up to 72 hours to complete. Once it's up and running, you will then need

to change the settings in the client.

The new settings will be:

https://xcsignup.comcast.net/imap_settings.html

Contributor
hmincer

I have ComCast, Microsoft 8.1, and a Dell 15R laptop. It receives mail just fine, but will not send thru the ComCast Mail program. On the other hand, its sends OK if I use the email function on the Xfinity website with either Explorer or Firefox. Any ideas about how to fix this?

Email Expert
Latoque

What mail program are you trying to use?  There is no "Comcast Mail Program" other than the webmail portal.  And if I'm reading your post correctly, you are saying that works OK.  Are you trying to use the Mail app that comes with Windows 8.1, or something else?

Contributor
hmincer

When I touch the Mail symbol on the right screern or on the Start screen, a screen appears labeled Comcast Inbox. The received email is listed, but when I try to send a message using the +  symbol and the Send symbol to an ouside site such as my work email address it is not delivered. However, If I use the emai on the Xfinity website, it IS delivered.

Email Expert
Latoque

I think what is happening is that you are trying to use the native Mail app in Windows 8.1.  It won't work unless you use IMAP for your Comcast account.  Read my post # 33 upthread where I explain it.  You either need to change to IMAP or use a different client program like Windows Live Mail or Mozilla Thunderbird.  Yes it will work sending from the web portal---it's suppoed to.  But when you tap that Mail icon on the start page, it tries to use the mail app in Windows, and because Comcast is POP3 compliant by default it won't work.

Contributor
hmincer

I think i've already tried to convert to IMAP. How can I tell if my Comcast account is currently POP3 or IMAP? Thx.

New Visitor
MavinMaverick

I'm having a similar issue.  My phone was upgraded to Windows 8.1 recently, and shortly after the upgrade (maybe a day or two), I started having trouble with my Comcast e-mail to the mail client.  Basically I get stuff, though it may come in late, and when I try to delete, the message will delete from the phone but not the Comcast server, so the messages download again.  They download time also seems to take much too long and deleting takes awhile too in many cases.  I put this issue up on the Microsoft forum and was directed to the Comcast IMAP conversion tool.  I did this once, and for a couple days everything was fine.  Then the problem started again, and I did the conversion again, but nothing appeared to be fixed. 

This is very annoying to me, because I get a lot of junk that would be nice to have deleted before I get home from work and open up my desktop e-mail client (which works fine).  The constant long download time to my phone also sucks the battery like no one's business. There is definitely something going on here, and I suspect it's on the Comcast side.  Though I've alerted Microsoft to the continuing issue as well.  Can someone do something about this?  The problem happened on a day I needed an e-mail at a specific time and I almost missed out on something because it wasn't coming through...even on the Comcast web mail site!

New Visitor
jswinf

I phoned Comcast technical support a week ago to try to get help adding my comcast.net email account to Windows 8.1 Outlook.com.  I was told that Comcast is no longer supporting 3rd party email clients.  Not real helpful.

New Visitor
MavinMaverick

Yep, that's the Comcast we all know and love. 

Email Expert
Latoque

hmincer wrote:

I think i've already tried to convert to IMAP. How can I tell if my Comcast account is currently POP3 or IMAP? Thx.

If you are trying to use the native Mail app in Windows 8.1 and it doesn't work, then I would presume you are still using POP3.  If you had changed to IMAP it should work nicely.  I have been trying out the Windows Mail app on my Dell laptop and I must say I like it, although it's a bit of a learning curve when one is used to a more traditional client like Thunderbird or Windows Live Mail.  Look at the links I posted upthread and try to sign up for the IMAP beta if you are are not already using it.

Contributor
hmincer

I tried to set up the IMAP account and was notified that I already have that account. Nonetheless, the sending function of the Comcast account still doesn't work. Any other ideas?

Email Expert
Latoque

When you try to send with the Mail app, exactly what happens?  Are you getting any kind of error message or a bounce?

New Visitor
MavinMaverick

I can't speak for anyone else, but I haven't had much trouble sending.  I occassionally get long delays, but that's always been the case.  For me, it's just that things won't delete from the sever when I delete them from my phone e-mail. 

Contributor
hmincer

I don't get any message. It looks like it's sending the email, but I don't receive sent to my work email site. Also, I sent a test email to a coup[e of others requesting that they reply if they got it. I got no responses.

Email Expert
Latoque

[ Edited ]

MavinMaverick wrote:

I can't speak for anyone else, but I haven't had much trouble sending.  I occassionally get long delays, but that's always been the case.  For me, it's just that things won't delete from the sever when I delete them from my phone e-mail. 

I'm assuming you are using the default POP3 protocol in your Comcast account.  Do you have another computer/device with the Comcast account enabled on it?  If so, do you have it set to leave a copy of incoming messages on the server?  If so that would account for why you can delete them from the phone but they stay on the server.  

New Visitor
MavinMaverick

I've updated to IMAP twice now.  The first time it worked for a couple of days after I did it, then it stopped working.  I tried it again, and it did not have an effect.  There are no settings on the phone that allow me to change whether the e-mails stay on the server (Nokia 820 recently upgraded to Windows 8.1).  When I was running Windows 8.0, it was working just fine.  I got the link to the IMAP from a Microsoft forum where I had first found something even close to the problem being discussed.

For others who want the IMAP update link, here it is, for what it's worth: https://xcsignup.comcast.net/onboardingapps/imap

Contributor
hmincer

Actually, I have 3 computers on my home wiFi, each with different systems. I changed the ComCast to IMAP on my wife's new Dell 15R laptop with Microsoft 8.1, because it's the one with the email sending problem (although it sends OK when she uses the Xfinity website email.)  Also it's the only one with the Start screen that's depicted on the Comcast beta IMAP installation website. The other two computers, on which I haven't altered the Comcast program, are a Dell desktop with System 7, and an iPad with a newly installed Apple System iOS 8.0.2. (The new Apple system also has caused a few glitches, but that's for another forum.) Could the interaction of  this variety of computers and systems be the cause of the sending problrm?

New Visitor
MavinMaverick

Good question. On my main computer I'm running Windows 7 and using Thunderbird as a client, and I don't have any problems (except the occassional delay, and SMTP errors when messages are too big).