New Visitor

how do i block someone from emailing me

does anyone know how i can block someones emails from reaching my inbox?

Silver Problem Solver
reasd

Re: how do i block someone from emailing me

Hello,

You can setup a filter using xfinity connect.

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

This works only in the full version of Xfinity Connect. The Lite Version does not have this right click option.

If  the sender's address is the same one each time the method below should work to block the mail because  the From: field in the filter set up will have the address in it. 

HIGHLIGHT the mail in your INBOX. RIGHT click on the highlighted mail. Choose New Filter.

Discard if you never want to see the mail. Otherwise you can have it sent to a specific folder such as trash or spam. NOTE: if in addition to the sender address being the same each time the SUBJECT is always the same you can leave the subject field in the filter. If the subject is different each time delete that field by clicking the minus sign to the right of the subject field.

If you don't use the full version you will not see the New Filter Option. You can either change to Full version OR click Preferences/Email/Filters to set it up.

Comcast employees must be authorized to post in the forum in an official capacity. Employees posting here have their names in red and are designated as employees. Names not in red are customers.

This is done to protect customers and for assurance that they are dealing with a Comcast employee.
Non-Authorized Employees are allowed to post but cannot state they are employees nor can they allude to being employees.

Contributor
19phil52

Your answer on how to block emails, doesn't answer the question.

I want to block someone's email so they get a "Daemon Remailer - Address Unknown" returned to THEM!

Their email can still go into the trash, but they need to get a return "unknown" email back to think the email is NOT valid. even though it really still is for everyone else!

Your solution merely pops the email in a junk folder or the trash.  The person still thinks your email address is active.  My way they would think I changed my email address

Email Expert
Latoque

[ Edited ]

There is no way to do what you are asking.  As long as your email address is still valid, it will still go through unless you use a filter to re-direct it.  If there were a way to do what you want, everyone who sends you an email would get the same bounce message.  The only other option I can think of is to simply change your email address and delete the one you're using now.  Then the other person would get the bounce message you are looking for.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________
These are customer to customer support forums. We are paying customers just like you. We volunteer our time to try and help other customers with how-to help, and troubleshoot problems if we can. We can't look at your account. The only Comcast employees in the forums are those with their names in RED.
Email Expert
CCCarole

19phil52 wrote:

I want to block someone's email so they get a "Daemon Remailer - Address Unknown" returned to THEM!

Their email can still go into the trash, but they need to get a return "unknown" email back to think the email is NOT valid. even though it really still is for everyone else!

Your solution merely pops the email in a junk folder or the trash.  The person still thinks your email address is active.  My way they would think I changed my email address

You don't have the choice you want in XfinityConnect. 

I don't believe that can even be done with an email client.

The only other choice would be to either change your email address, or create a new one and use it exclusively and not the current one you use.  Then you would need to notify ALL your contacts which email address to use too!  However, IF IT IS the Primary Username that involves more, so IF you choose to change the PRIMARY Username, let us know first, so we can guide you through the process.

If it is NOT the Primary Username (email address) simply create a new Secondary email address and give that address to all your contents, leaving the Email Filter in place for whoever you want to block so they are discarded.

Maybe the simplest answer would be to email that person and tell him you set up a filter to block all email from him/her?  If he/she knows you are discarding without seeing them, maybe they would stop?

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.

Contributor
19phil52

I had tried making an email with the user name of "Daemon Remailer" then forwarding my unwanted email to that address, then tried to make a rule saying send ALL emaill back to the sender. 

It didn't work..  It should have sent back to the original sender from "Daemon remailer" with a subject of   - "Returned Email - Unknown user".

Maybe comcast should thgink about this one!   I can set up a filter to ALLOW email from only a single person.  Why can't I REJECT emails from a specific email address?

New Visitor
dee27

I agree - Comcast definitely needs to get on board!

Email Expert
Latoque

[ Edited ]

Once again------there is no way to prevent anyone from sending you an email at a given address.  This is nothing unique to Comcast.  I have email addresses with Yahoo, Hotmail and Gmail.  In all of them you can use a filter to deal with a message once it gets to you.  Hotmail has a blocking feature, but it's just a different name for a filter.  If you can find a mail provider that can actually prevent someone from sending an email, I'd like to know about it because in 15 years or more on the internet I don't think I've ever encountered one.

So the only real choices here are to just set up a filter to send the offending messages to Trash or oblivion, or to stop using your Comcast address, set up a secondary account, convert it into the primary account, then delete the other one, which would generate a bounce message to anyone sending an email to it.

Or you could also stop using Comcast for email completely and just use another provider.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________
These are customer to customer support forums. We are paying customers just like you. We volunteer our time to try and help other customers with how-to help, and troubleshoot problems if we can. We can't look at your account. The only Comcast employees in the forums are those with their names in RED.
Contributor
19phil52

WOW - that's your answer..  Go use someone elses email client?????

How about this..

Why don't you ASK SOMEONE - (a programmer for instance) about how Comcast would provide this as a service to their paying clients!  I sure would feel better about paying you if you stopped telling me to go somewhere else when I raise a concern I have! 

If you can set up a filter that says "ONLY ALLOW EMAIL FROM ONE SPECIFIC ADDRESS"

It just can't be that much harder to program "DON'T ALLOW EMAIL FROM A SPECIFIC ADDRESS"

Try being a leader instead of telling me that you can't do it and no one else does it! 

You already have a program in place that says "user doesn't exist"...  All you would need to do is send the unwanted email to that part of the program and let the server return it! 

Your solution of change your email address is a wrong answer.  to avoid ONE person you want me to change my email address with the 100 people who I DO want to hear from.

It's kind of like saying..  The ashtray in the car is full - SO JUST BUY A NEW CAR - that will fix the problem!

PLASE ASK SOMEONE ABOVE YOU FOR HELP...  REPEATING THE SAME ANSWER OF GO SOMEWHERE ELSE IS INSULTING!

Contributor
19phil52

Re: how do i block someone from emailing me Part TWO

Here is a copy and paste from the Verizon website:

Internet Spam Blocking
Available at no charge

These settings are found at My Verizon > Verizon Safeguards > Spam Controls > Internet Spam Blocking

Options available:

• Block all messages originated from web.
  • Block up to 15 specific email address and/or web domains (i.e. domain.com).
  • Block messages sent from all email addresses.

NOTICE IT SAYS BLOCK UP TO 15 SPECIFIC EMAIL ADDRESSES

Evidently your competition can do it!  

PLEASE TALK TO SOMEONE COMCAST AND STOP TELLING YOUR USERS TO GO AWAY!

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

[ Edited ]

With Comcast filters you can set up as many blocks as you want. With my msn mail I can set up blocks. What neither can do is bounce the message back to the sender.

What Verizon offers is a variation of the blocking theme. What it doesn't say is if it will send a bounce message to the sender saying the address does not exist. I did some research and could find nothing indicating that you can set up a bounce message rule using Verizon.

Earlier in this topic you stated

Your solution merely pops the email in a junk folder or the trash. The person still thinks your email address is active. My way they would think I changed my email address

I did answer the question, which was how to block a sender. There was no mention by the OP about sending a bounce message back to the sender of the mail. You also must not have seen this part of my reply:

Discard if you never want to see the mail. Otherwise you can have it sent to a specific folder such as trash or spam

Discard sends the mail to cyberspace, it never makes to your email. They can send you all the mail they want but you never see it.

Just so you know, neither Latoque or I have anything to do with Comcast email. Neither of us can set up or program anything. You don't either of us. There is no one above us. We are customers of Comcast, not employees.

Employees have to authorized to post in the forum. They have their names in red and are designated as employees.

If new posters would take the time to read available information about the forums before making a first post they would know that.

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Forum-Guidelines/Official-Administrators/td-p/764808

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Forum-Guidelines/Official-Employees/td-p/764804

If the answer, which is correct, is insulting to you that is your problem to deal with.

To repeat: if you don't want to see mail from a specific person, set up a rule to block and discard. That will in no way stop you from getting mail you want to receive.

Comcast employees must be authorized to post in the forum in an official capacity. Employees posting here have their names in red and are designated as employees. Names not in red are customers.

This is done to protect customers and for assurance that they are dealing with a Comcast employee.
Non-Authorized Employees are allowed to post but cannot state they are employees nor can they allude to being employees.

Contributor
19phil52

Re: how do i block someone from emailing me Part THREE

Nice try...

I asked my brother  - who has Verizon - to block my email.

I sent him an emails AFTER HE BLOCKED ME.

I get a "USER UNKOWN" reply from his email client - so from my point of view - his email - User name- 

NO LONGER EXISTS!!!!!!!

So YES :

- HE CAN BLOCK A SPECIFIC EMAIL ADDRESS

- IT DOES NOT JUST PUT IT INTO A SPAM OR TRASH FOLDER

- IT DOES SEND ME AN UNKNOWN USER REPLY

- HIS EMAIL IS NOW INVISIBLE TO ME - HE NO LONGER EXISTS TO ME UNTIL HE REMOVES THE

FILTER!

VERIZON CAN DO IT - WHY CAN'T COMCAST!

THE ONE COMCAST SUPPORT PERSON SAID IN 15 YEARS HE HASN'T SEEN ANYONE THAT DOES THIS.   IT TOOK ME LESS THEN 10 MINUTES TO FIND ONE! 

NOW will you ask someone over you why your competition can do this BUT COMCAST CANNOT!!!!!

Email Expert
Latoque

19phil52 wrote:

PLEASE TALK TO SOMEONE COMCAST AND STOP TELLING YOUR USERS TO GO AWAY!

OK I'll slip you a piece of really hot news---------I don't work for Comcast, and neither does Carole or anyone else in here unless their name is in RED.  This is a customer to customer support board-------all volunteer.

Customers------volunteers.  Do you understand that?

If you don't like the services or features in Comcast then get on the phone with them.  All we try to do in here is help other customers with their email to the extent that we can, within the framework of what Comcast offers.  As far as Verizon "blocking" anything, all they are doing is letting you set up filters to delete mail before it gets to the Inbox, the same as any other mail provider.  They cannot prevent anyone from sending to a valid address any more than Comcast or anyone else can.

We have told you twice now what your options are.  The only way you are going to get the bounce message you want is to delete your address so it becomes no longer valid.

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

[ Edited ]

Thank you for the info about Verizon. Your attitude will not get you anywhere in this forum.

As I don't use Verizon I did not know WHAT the feature they offer will do. No need to get snippy about it. A simple post politely stating "yes, with Verizon it does send a bounce message" would have sufficed.

Now another newsflash for you:  I stated in my reply that we are Comcast customers. (Maybe in your haste to reply you missed that part) You proceeded to say once again for US to talk to someone at Comcast. Instead of telling other customers to take it up with Comcast why don't YOU DO IT YOURSELF?

One more question for you: you mentioned a bounce message from his email client. If he uses the Verizon web mail interface will the bounce still be sent?

Contributor
19phil52

YEAH RIGHT

Well you need to stop trying to help since you can't.

Your statment:

"As far as Verizon "blocking" anything, all they are doing is letting you set up filters to delete mail before it gets to the Inbox, the same as any other mail provider.  They cannot prevent anyone from sending to a valid address any more than Comcast or anyone else can."

Is 100 percent wrong...  I just tried it with a verizon account (my brother) and it DOES SEND BACK A MESSAGE! USER UNKOWN

YOU STATING THAT IS DOESN'T IS A LIE!  STOP POSTING LIES!  FIND SOMEONE WITH A VERIZON ACCOUNT AND TRY IT FOR YOURSELF

While you are "volunteers" and "just helping" doesn't mean that you speak with infallibility.

I have now written to comcast support (the REAL ONE), so this is my last post here.  I want to deal with people that can actually help me with this issue!

Enjoy your day!

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

Re: YEAH RIGHT

As stated, how could we know what Verizon does since we don't use Verizon? A lie is one thing, not knowing something does not constitute a lie.

So you lie when you say we lied.

Email Expert
Latoque

Re: YEAH RIGHT

Bye

:bye