Contributor
Missentropy

iPad 2 does not receive all my Comcast emails and not at the same time either

I read my Comcast email on my laptop and on my iPad 2. Some emails don't show up in my inbox on the iPad, but do show on the laptop. there is no clear pattern to the type of emails that don't come in. emails also are available only much later on the iPad than the laptop ( as in hours later). This occurs even both are using the same wireless network to connect. help?
New Visitor
cleejd

Re: iPad 2 does not receive all my Comcast emails and not at the same time either

I just bought both an iphone and an ipad. I have the same problem. They each pick up some of my Comcast emails but not all of them. It's like Comcast releases all the messages to my home computer but only randomly releases some of them to my new devices.
Web Page Expert
BethKatz

Re: iPad 2 does not receive all my Comcast emails and not at the same time either

My iPad, iPhone, and laptop can all be fetching mail and all get the messages. Only my desktop deletes messages. If it gets a message first, the others don't see it.

Comcast isn't treating your different devices differently. 

The first thing to check is whether any of the email clients are deleting messages when they fetch them. 

The second thing to check is how frequently a device is checking for mail. But hours later sounds wrong. Are you expecting your phone to be grabbing it and notifying you of messages when the Mail app isn't active? I don't have that set on mine. So if I wonder whether mail is available, I have to make the Mail app active. This saves battery life. You can change this is in Settings > Mail > Fetch New Data. My settings (not grabbing mail except when I ask; you probably want them different) look like this:

fetch.jpg

Contributor

Help! I do not receive some emails EVER on my ipad but they do show up on my apple computer at home. I have tried your recommendations to no avail. This is crucial to me as I have business on my ipad which needs to be current. What is the problem?

Web Page Expert
BethKatz

Is your desktop Mac removing the messages when it downloads them? Look in Mail > Preferences > Accounts and then the Advanced tab. Are you removing them from the server when the message is moved from the Inbox?

The Comcast mail server for residential customers is a POP server. It is not IMAP. So doing multiple devices isn't as straightforward as you might hope.

Contributor

Thanks for your reply but the messages have not even been downloaded on my home desktop. Yet they do not appear on my ipad. When I get home, there they are, some from the morning while I am at work. Yet never on ipad.

Web Page Expert
BethKatz

NEVER on iPad or only scattered downloads on iPad?

If downloads stopped on iPad, you might have a corrupted message on the server. Look at the Comcast server (go to web-based Xfinity Connect) and create a folder called Temp that is NOT NESTED UNDER the Trash or Inbox. Move all the messages since downloads stopped into that Temp folder. Then send yourself email and check whether it gets received on the iPad. If it does, move the messages from Temp back to Inbox in groups. You'll probably run into the one that was causing problems.

If you have NEVER received email on the iPad, check the settings carefully remembering that you have to set the correct password for both incoming and outgoing mail.

If you get all the messages on your desktop but only a scattering of them on your iPad and you are sure that you are not removing them from the server, I don't know what to tell you. It should work. It sounds like there's some relevant part here you aren't mentioning. Do you have multiple accounts and one is inactive on the iPad? 

garbo22 wrote:

Thanks for your reply but the messages have not even been downloaded on my home desktop. Yet they do not appear on my ipad. When I get home, there they are, some from the morning while I am at work. Yet never on ipad.

It REALLY sounds like you are leaving the desktop computer on and it is grabbing the messages while you are at work. Or you are not having the iPad check for email automatically and are expecting it to fetch and notify you.

Contributor

Thanks for your reply. I just now received it on my desktop when I got home. I checked for messages throughout the day on my ipad - and received many - but not this and one other. I had shut my desktop down this morning before I left for work. Does anyone have other suggestions?

Web Page Expert
BethKatz

The notification about a reply didn't get to your iPad and another message didn't. Both were going to your normal email account which you are popping onto your iPad?

I don't know. It should work.

Contributor

Yes, it should work. That is why I am so baffled and frustrated. Is there anyone else out there who can help? Surely I am not the only person in the world experiencing this problem..........

Contributor
Missentropy

this is the same problem I am seeing. All the settings and preferences are as you recommend. All emails show up on my laptop. Most show up on my iPad. Some (a small percentage, with no apparent pattern or common features) never show up on my iPad. The unreliability is a problem, since I usually work and travel with the iPad. I can't tell if I've missed an email or not.
Web Page Expert
BethKatz

Intermittent problems are hard to diagnose. Comcast will tell you to use the Xfinity Mobile app.

I don't think I've ever really missed a message that I should have seen. I'm not getting the delay you mention. I've been using my iPhone and/or iPad for connecting to Comcast's email since 2009. But I have my desktop email client leave very few messages on the server. The messages left there are in folders.

As a workaround, if you are expecting something, check your email with Safari by going to m.comcast.net which is the mobile access site. It accesses the server directly like Xfinity Connect and the mobile app. But that isn't an answer. It's a workaround.

I don't know what else to suggest.

Contributor
Missentropy

Thanks. I obviously can go to the workaround method, but it shouldn't be necessary. From the thread, I can see that I'm not the only customer with this problem. Could it be specific to the iPad2? (unlikely) Hope Comcast can solve itl The email platform is also not ideal in that I don't get email folders for use on the iPad.
Web Page Expert
BethKatz

What you and others want is an IMAP, rather than a POP, connection. Then, all your email would stay on the server (like you already do). And your folders would be on the server. Everything in the cloud but also able to grab email from multiple servers.

Maybe Comcast will get around to providing that eventually. But it isn't available for residential customers at this time. 

Contributor

I find it difficult to believe there are only two of us having this problem with ipad 2. Does anyone else have this problem or a solution? Again today I had an important email that did not show up on my ipad but was on my desktop when I arrived home. This is not an occasional problem but one that occurs many times a week.

Web Page Expert
BethKatz

Comcast will say that you should use the Xfinity Mobile app or the web-based Xfinity Connect. That would let you access the messages on the server. That includes the folders there.

Is there any pattern to which emails are not being delivered tot he iPad's email client? Is it a message that has an unusual attachment? Even so, I usually get those with a note saying they can't be opened.

But I don't leave thousands of messages in my inbox. The things I leave on the server for reference are in folders.

Contributor
Missentropy

That's the odd thing - there is no pattern at all to which emails don't go to the iPad. It appears to be totally random.
Contributor

Once again, I did not receive your morning message on my ipad. It was on my desktop when I returned home. There is no pattern to missed emails. I do access Xfinity server at times but find it no better. A connundrum....

Web Page Expert
BethKatz

garbo22 wrote:

Once again, I did not receive your morning message on my ipad. It was on my desktop when I returned home. There is no pattern to missed emails. I do access Xfinity server at times but find it no better. A connundrum....

Did you happen to access the Xfinity server directly today and NOT see that message?

I really don't have a clue as to why you have a continuing intermittent failure. But I find it curious that the replies from this forum seem to not be delivered to your iPad. It's as though you have two accounts and your home desktop is grabbing mail from both but your iPad is only grabbing mail from one.

But you say that there's no pattern. And you'll assure me that you have only one account.

When you go to the web-base Xfinity Connect, which server are you on? You can see that in the location bar URL when you are viewing your entire inbox. Mine is http://sz0001.wc.mail.comcast.net

Contributor

Thanks for your persistence. Actually I DO have 2 accounts but receive mail from both on my ipad. Now that you mention it, all of the missing emails are from one account. My main account. But why should I receive some but not all?

Contributor
Missentropy

This is driving me nuts! This problem is ongoing. Over the last week, I've had problems with multiple emails being delivered to my laptop only and not to my iPad. There is no pattern to content, sender, day, time, anything I can see. Four were personal emails with no "red flags" of any sort. One was a travel itinerary from Hotwire. One was an email from our donor account representative at a large charity. I found them all on my laptop and forwarded them to myself so I could pick them up on my iPad. The personal ones forwarded, appearing on both laptop and iPad. Three times I tried to forward the charity one. It went to the laptop, but none showed on the iPad. What is going on!
Web Page Expert
BethKatz

[ Edited ]

Missentropy wrote:
This is driving me nuts! This problem is ongoing. Over the last week, I've had problems with multiple emails being delivered to my laptop only and not to my iPad. There is no pattern to content, sender, day, time, anything I can see. Four were personal emails with no "red flags" of any sort. One was a travel itinerary from Hotwire. One was an email from our donor account representative at a large charity. I found them all on my laptop and forwarded them to myself so I could pick them up on my iPad. The personal ones forwarded, appearing on both laptop and iPad. Three times I tried to forward the charity one. It went to the laptop, but none showed on the iPad. What is going on!

So the personal messages you forwarded made it to the iPad's email client but the charity one forwarded in the same way tot he same account did not? But that "lost" message did get back to the laptop?

That sounds like the iPad's email client is not grabbing that message for whatever reason. I know I sometimes get messages that won't display content, but the message is there. In this case, I'd ask Apple or in the Apple discussion forums. 

Edit: Is there a setting on the iPad's email client to skip messages bigger than a certain size? I haven't looked.

Contributor
Missentropy

All of the emails I forwarded showed up in Outlook on my laptop immediately. The charity email never showed up. the hotwire booking arrived at my husband's account ( it was sent to me. but he was copied on it), but not at mine. None of the emails were more than 3 paragraphs and none had any attachments, so size is no issue. I don't believe there is a size limit setting anyhow. I can't see any logic to this.
Web Page Expert
BethKatz

I'm being really dense here and must be missing something. It sounds like somehow some of the messages are being sent to an account that is picked up on your laptop running Outlook but not on the iPad. Or maybe that account on the laptop is deleting the messages it grabs. Are the messages still on the server?

Are you absolutely sure that the iPad has exactly the same accounts set up and enabled (it's easy to turn them off) as Outlook on the laptop? Does each account on the laptop leave the messages on the server? 

Computer programs do what they are told. They are really stupid that way. And they can be created to do stupid things. But they don't randomly grab this or that message just for the heck of it.

Contributor
Missentropy

What you say makes complete sense. What is happening doesn't. I use only one email address and account (comcast.net) . Messages are downloaded from the server to Outlook on my laptop and to my iPad. I rarely use my laptop (clunker) these days and travel a lot wih the As far as I know, I have never had a message not arrive on the laptop. Everything, except "random" emails goes to the iPad as well. I never pick up email from comcast directly from the website. Deleting a message from the laptop has no effect on the iPad and vice versa. The "missing emails" are not all that frequent, though there have been quite a few this week. I probably underestimate their occurence as I don't really keep track of all the junk mail. This week is the first time I have forwarded myself one of the missing messages from the laptop and saw it arrive on the laptop and not the iPad.
Web Page Expert
BethKatz

I don't know. It would be interesting to see if the "missing" messages are on the Comcast server.

I don't normally read my email on my iPad; my account there is turned off. I do read mail on my iPhone all the time. But I'm exploring the iPad (and my son's account there) to see if there's anything odd.

I note that I can turn on threading so that multiple messages in a thread are clumped together with a little number in the subject line near the arrow. But I tested sending a message to an old thread and the old message from January was pulled to today. 

In Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars, I have Load Remote Images turned on.

I just don't know what's happening with your iPad and why the connection is flaky. I feel as though we're missing something obvious.

Contributor
Missentropy

I just did a couple of tests, all of which went screwy. I emailed myself a test email and forwarded the charity email again from the laptop. Both arrived immediately on the laptop and after 30+ min have not shown up on the iPad or on the Xfinity app (I think that shows email on the server). Your email came in on the laptop only - neither on the iPad nor the Xfinity app. Just now an email came in from Land's End and arrived simultaneously on all three (laptop, iPad, and Xfinity app). I also sent an email from the Xfinity app to myself and received it only on the laptop. This is all worse than I've see and I'm wondering if I could have made some kind of a change when poking around in settings this morning? Thanks
Web Page Expert
BethKatz

I searched in the Apple discussion forums for this problem. There are a few people who have reported it with other email providers over the past year.

It sounds like sometimes the iPad's mail program and the Comcast server get confused about which messages have been downloaded. I'm guessing that this is probably more of a problem with accounts where there are a lot of messages stored on the Comcast server. But that's a guess.

How many messages are stored there? Do you need them to be there?

A partial suggested solution is to quit the iPad's mail program and restart it. Or reboot the iPad.

But it seems to be a random intermittent problem.

Contributor
Missentropy

I don' t have any messages stored on the server that I can see. If I look at the Xfinity app to see what's on the server, it seems to be deleting things immediately. (My inbox is empty now although I saw some emails there this morning). Those messages have vanished and are not in the trash. Nothing has shown up on the iPad since your 11:41 message except for that Land's End ad. Something is really wrong now, and, again, I see no logic to it. If I reboot the iPad , will I lose anything - apps, settings, files, etc? I'm actually beginning to think it's a problem at the server, now that I see Xfinity acting so oddly.
Web Page Expert
BethKatz

The Xfinity APP will have direct contact with the server. If you delete things there, they are deleted.

If you use the web-based Xfinity Connect, you have direct contact with the server. Things you delete there are deleted.

You said that you have both the iPad and the laptop leave messages on the server yet you don't use Xfinity Connect. So when and how are messages deleted off the server? Is there another computer involved here?

No. Rebooting your iPad will not lose anything. It should close any open pages in Safari and quit some things in progress. It might lose any files you had created but hadn't saved. How many things are you running? Double-click the physical button and see what things are displayed in the shelf that appears. 

The other thing that could be happening here is that someone has your password and is grabbing messages before your iPad gets them.

If it were my account, I'd change my password to a strong one. I'm not sure why we didn't suggest that earlier. You'll need to change it in two places on the iPad - incoming and outgoing.

Contributor

I have to weigh in again on this problem. It continues to happen randomly on my ipad numerous times per week. My husband, who has a comcast account also, sent an email Monday that I never received on ipad, did on laptop that evening. I have tried EVERYTHING you have suggested. Please keep on the trail. Mississippi and I cannot be the only ones grappling with this.

Web Page Expert
BethKatz

I've sent a note to the administrators asking that someone look into this. 

Contributor

Thank you......

Contributor
Missentropy

I'm not really buying the idea of someone snatching emails - my financial ones come through and have never gone missing. Why anyone would grab babysitter emails, thank you notes from my sister, reports on sponsored children, etc, etc, is beyond me. Comcast help suggested I stop using the iPad email and download the Infinity app to see the mail directly from the server. I did that this morning, which is why I was referring to checking the server. That has only made things worse, it seems. Since 1pm today, I have received 10 emails on the laptop, none on the iPad and 3 that I could see on the server through the Infinity app. They disappear when I look at the app a second time (I hear a "bing" and they vanish and are not in the trash). Something very odd is happening there . I am going to remove the Infinity app for now. Hopefully my iPad will then be able to receive some email at least.
Bronze Problem Solver

Missentropy wrote:
I just did a couple of tests, all of which went screwy. I emailed myself a test email and forwarded the charity email again from the laptop. Both arrived immediately on the laptop and after 30+ min have not shown up on the iPad or on the Xfinity app (I think that shows email on the server). Your email came in on the laptop only - neither on the iPad nor the Xfinity app. Just now an email came in from Land's End and arrived simultaneously on all three (laptop, iPad, and Xfinity app). I also sent an email from the Xfinity app to myself and received it only on the laptop. This is all worse than I've see and I'm wondering if I could have made some kind of a change when poking around in settings this morning? Thanks

You haven't clearly stated that Outlook on the laptop isn't set to delete messages from the server after downloading them. Deleting after downloading is the default setting, and I can see where that might be the root cause of your problem; once you download a message on the laptop it will be deleted from the server, and therefore not available to the iPad. It will also won't be there when you check via webmail.

Regarding the forwarding to yourself, if Outlook is set up to do "delayed" sending where messages go into the Outbox when you hit Send, and then actually get sent when you do Send/Receive, I just found that Windows Mail will send the queued messages first, and then check email. And sometimes the emails that were just sent will be downloaded and then deleted on that Send/Receive.

Contributor
Missentropy

That makes some sense. I was looing for that setting. Where do I find it?

The sporadic nature of this problem doesn't really fit that idea, though.

Today everything has been misbehaving badly except Outlook on m laptop. I removed the Xfinity app from m iPad, but am not sure if that had any effect..  Right now, messages sent to myself from my ipad and from my laptop both arrive on both devices immediately, but nothing is showing up in the Comcast inbox online.

Early this morning there were emails in that Comcast online inbox, which I deleted and are now in the trash there. During the day, I saw several emails appear in the inbox, but the next time I looked, there was a "bing " sound and they disappeared but are not in the trash.

The only email that has arrived in the inbox of my iPad since 11:41 this morning, other than the test ones I have sent is from Schwab(tonight at 5:56). Over that same period more than 20 have come in to Outlook on my laptop, one of which was the Schwab email. None of these showed up in the Comcast inbox online.

I can't quite figure it out. As of yesterday, I was receiving almost everything on the iPad, everything in Outlook on the laptop and I don't know what was happening in the Comcast inbox online as I only started using that when the Comcast help line suggested that  I download and use the Xfinity app this morning. I've since deleted that app as it wasn't helping and possibly was making everything else worse.

I can't figure it out.

Contributor
Missentropy

Thanks for the suggestion, Steve,

I did find out how to set Outlook so that messages stay on the server for 10 days. I'll see if that helps anything.

Coordination problems between the server sending messages to the iPad and to Outlook and deleting them from the server could explain the problems I've had, though not the sporadic  and apparently random occurences.

I'm calling it quits for tonight, though.It's driving me nuts using both the laptop and the iPad. I keep trying to tap the laptop screen.

Bronze Problem Solver

Missentropy wrote:

That makes some sense. I was looing for that setting. Where do I find it?

Dunno. If you're talking about Outlook Express rather than Outlook (they're completely different programs), you'll find it at Tools|Accounts|{select account}|Properties|Advanced.

The sporadic nature of this problem doesn't really fit that idea, though.

Maybe not. But when Outlook is running there's an option to check email every x minutes. It seems like that might fit. First thing to do is check whether Outlook is deleting after downloading. If it's not, I'm back to not having any ideas about what's going on.

Web Page Expert
BethKatz

I've mentioned MULTIPLE times in this thread that you need to check whether your email client on desktop or laptop is deleting the messages when it downloads them.

Thank you, Steve, for somehow saying that in a different way so that it was heard.

Contributor
Missentropy

Thanks, Today, with Outlook set to keep emails on the server for 10 days, I am able to see the same messages on all three locations - laptop Outlook, Xfinity website, and iPad. I had checked the email setting on the iPad and it was set to never delete from the server. In Outlook, way down a series of trees from the tools, the options do no include "delete from the server upon downloading", so I wasn't aware that was happening. In fact, I'm not sure it always was. Yesterday morning, for example, I had received about 8 messages on the laptop as well as on the iPad, with just one missing from the Ipad. Comcast suggested I download the xfinity app and look at my email directly on the server. When I did that, all of those messages were there and I manually deleted them (they stayed in the trash ). So, it doesn't seem like things were being immediately deleted from the server when download to Outlook. At that point, things went really haywire and the iPad wasn't getting much of anything , although it could send. I could see emails on the server "vanished" as I viewed them, with a "bing" and did not go to trash. I thought this may have happened due to the Xfinity app and deleted that from the iPad. Things improved ( I could send and receive from ipad to laptop and viceversa. Then when I found the Outlook setting and asked to have messages stay on the server for 10 days, apparently things began working well. That said, before yesterday, things appeared to be working fine, with just a small number of apparently random emails not showing up on the iPad- usually not more than a couple per week Thanks very much for your help, though.
Web Page Expert
BethKatz