New Visitor
dveto
Accepted Solution

iPad - Comcast email issues- Does not send email

I have an iPad 2.  Up until last Friday, I could send and receive email with no problem using the Apple email app (not the Xfinity app).  All of a sudden, I can receive emails, but I cannot send. I don't receive and error message and the email looks like it was sent.  Only the recipient of the email never gets the email.

I have tried everything.  I was on the phone with Apple care and at the Apple store twice.  I even went to the customers service office at Comcast to have someone try to fix this.

Just so you know, my server numbers are correct- outgoing is smtp.comcast.net and port 465.  Incoming is mail.comcast.net and port 995. 

I also added my husband's comcast account to my ipad as a test to see if the issue was my account or the iPad.  I could send and receive emails from his email account on my ipad.  I cannot send emails from my account on the same device.

I've been on the phone with tech support at comcast and that lead nowhere.  I am currently chatting with another tech support person who seems to think the issue is the fact that I have two accounts on one iPad.  That is not the case.

Does anyone know how to resolve this issue when the server ports are correct and another comcast account works just fine?

New Visitor
astake

Re: iPad - Comcast email issues- Does not send email

I am having the exact same issue...and, from what I can see on line...there are a lot of people experiencing the same thing. Mine started right after I changed my password on my comcast email. I update the password on my mail app on the ipad. Now I can receive email, but not send.

I tried manually entering the new password on both the incoming and outgoing mail server areas. I've deleted the account and re-entered everything. No luck.

I am gradually moving everything over to gmail.

New Visitor
New Visitor

[ Edited ]

We are having the exact same issue, but with a twist. We both use the same home email with Comcast, and then have separate gmail accounts. Comcast mail on my iPad (3) works. Hers quit working on an iPad 2 after a password change but I also had to change it on mine. In addition, she can no longer send from her Android mobile but my iPhone is working. Makes no sense at all.

New Visitor
New Visitor

Maybe this can help someone, but it's obvious in the forums that solutions which work for one user may not be applicable to the next. I remembered that both of the problem devices were running Xfinity mail client which also provides Comcast email in addition to the native email client. I removed it as well as the Comcast sync account, shut down the device, reinstalled the mail account and it worked first attempt.

Regular Contributor

I've been documenting a similar problem in another thread.  Worked for a bit, then stopped in July.  I called support and it started working a few days later.  Stopped working yesterday.  Chat support was useless.  I have changed nothing.  it appears to be specific to my user account, as my wife's account works just fine on the iPad (as does gmail IMAP).  

I find it interesting that my iPad email inbox messages stop at 7/4/2012, which is the exact date that I last had the problem.  All the emails from that date have mysteriously disappeared from my iPad email inbox.

New Visitor

Despite Comcast denying the issue, I feel it must be rooted in their system. I had the problem on my IPad (2) and my husband's IPhone AND my Blackberry. The BB is the one that makes me know the problem is bigger than Apple. I am able to temporarily fix the problem by hand deleting and re-entering the email address and the password on both set up screens. It will then verify, send all waiting outgoing emails, download new stuff and then lock up again. There is a major glitch that is totally annoying. I was considering leaving Comcast, this will probably seal the deal. Luckily, I already have an AOL account I can step right into.

Regular Contributor

Just like last time, it started working again.  I have no idea what happened and why it now works.  I did nothting on my end.

New Visitor
Jroug

I am having the same issue but not on an iPad - mine is on a laptop using the website e-mail.  On my desktop there are no issues at all, but I'm using outlook there.  Tried to call last night but waits were longer than usual - larger issue?

New Visitor
cmgreer3

Make sure your Outgoing Mail Server is set to: smtp.comcast.net

Click on that to take you to next page so that you see "Primary Server" smtp.comcast.net On >

Click on that line to take you to the next page so that you see:

Server = ON

Outgoing Mail Server

Host Name = smtp.comcast.net

User Name = WhatEverYouChose

Password = EnterYourPasswordAgain

Use SSL = ON

Authenication = Password >

Click on "Done" at the top of the page

That should do it.

New Visitor
astake

I checked all that before. Everything is set correctly. It still won't send mail.

New Visitor
avflylanche

[ Edited ]

I had the same problem; could not send email from my Comcast account on the Iphone. I recreated the account but changed the name field to my name (it had been Comcast) and kept just the description as Comcast. Voila, mail started going through. I then changed the name field back to Comcast and mail once again was not being delivered. It seems to be an issue with emails from a user called 'Comcast' being blocked (most likely spam). Whatever the reason, this fixed my issue.

Spoiler

New Visitor
petelush

Same impossibility of composing Comcast email on my ipad3.   Noticed it today

Regular Contributor

When I refresh mail on my iPad 2 Comcast is only giving me two messages! 

There might actually (when I check my PC) be dozens of new ones BUT it's 

Only delivering TWO to the iPad!? 

I have checked and triple checked my settings and they are exactly like all the forum techs say.

Don't tell me to use the Xfiinity app!

It drops ZERO emails in that! It is all set up correctly but while it will load the main, never used

Email accounts seldom recetied mail it won't give me the account we always use!

HELP!

New Visitor
petelush

My mistake.   Seems I had missed "Compose".    Sorry 'bout that.

New Visitor
csh4gripes

HEY!

I have also had my Comcast mail not being sent from my iPad2.  So I tried your suggestion about changing the name field and VOILA!  It worked!  A big hi-five to you buddy!

So, all you people who can't get their comcast mail to send on their iPads, go to settings/mail/comcast acct and change the name field right now!  Yay!

New Visitor

Had the same issue used the name change and it works fine now.  Thanks

New Visitor
petelush

Now "compose" has disappeared.  

New Visitor
jeldard

Changing the name worked for me

New Visitor

Please, please tell customer support to tell us to change the name. A hour on the phone wasted

Web Page Expert
BethKatz

This thread has pictures of iOS 6 screenshots I made of mail settings:

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/E-Mail-and-Xfinity-Connect-Help/Screenshots-of-iPhone-5-mail-settings/m...

Note that the name needs to be something other than Comcast. Use your real name or what you want people to see as your name.

The "description" field can be "Comcast", but the "name" field is what goes along as the easy to read text of who the messsage is from. It can be part of the spoofing of email, and Comcast seems to be checking that it isn't looking like the email came from them.

New Visitor

I had tried everything suggested here and nothing worked.  

I changed my password using my laptop, then on my iPad, I changed the password on the actual Server page and anywhere it asked for the password.   

For now it worked!   We'll see how long it lasts.

Comcast...Grrrrrrr!!!!

Web Page Expert
BethKatz

Anneakay, on your iPad (and your laptop if it's a Mac), you need to change the password on both the incoming mail and the outgoing mail. Set it in two places.

New Visitor

FYI - I was having a similar issue sending email from my IPhone. A trip to the Apple store didn't 't help, but your information worked. Had no idea that there were 2 places to enter your password. Many, many thanks.
New Visitor
LauraSF

Your fix worked for me! Thank you!!

Web Page Expert
BethKatz

You're welcome. For people who are reading this later, the Apple email clients need the password set in two places - incoming and outgoing. This ends up being a feature and not a bug. For example, I use my Comcast account for outgoing for some of my accounts on other email servers.

This setting of the password in two places is for the Mail app on Mac OS X (desktops and laptops) as well as the built-in email client for iOS for iPhone, iPod, and iPad.

New Visitor
Ajcandelaria

Thx!!!!!  This worked for me.

New Visitor

I had a problem of not being able either send or receive comcast email on my iPhone5 after a password change despite being able to successfuly change the password on my iMac, iPad and Macbook air.  The Genius Bar tech had me log on to the xfinity (comcast) site using Safari on the device (in this case my iPhone).  Why don't you try this from your iPad?  Then after successfully loggin on via Safari, go back to your mail program and try again.  He said you may need to do this 4-5 times.  For some reason after a password change doing this makes comcast recognized your device as legitimate.

New Visitor
maryloufaso

Why can I not send E-Mails from my I-Pad2?

Web Page Expert
BethKatz

[ Edited ]

maryloufaso wrote:

Why can I not send E-Mails from my I-Pad2?

Have you tried the seetings I showed in the screenshots? Have you set the password for both incoming mail and outgoing mail? Is the NAME field something other than Comcast?

New Visitor
Jaspen10

Changing the account name did the trick for me too. Thank you for the tip

New Visitor
maryloufaso

I had to change my password as the ipad password had to have one uppercase letter. I am now able to receive and send from my ipad. Thank you. Mary C Faso.

Visitor

Thank you so much! Such a simple solution to a crazy headache!

Contributor
Contributor

Mine worked until I tried to sync accounts. Why doesn't Comcast just have an app for email. I will probably have to go to gmail too so I can manage mail on iPhone and computer.

Recognized Contributor

For Iphone, IPad, and IPod, you can use the xfinityConnect application for email.

New Visitor
grandmajune56

[ Edited ]

Thanks cmgreer3!  This worked for both my iPad 3 and my iPhone 5!  (copied from the instructions since it didn't link it like I thought it would.

This is what cmgreer3 said to do:

Make sure your Outgoing Mail Server is set to: smtp.comcast.net

Click on that to take you to next page so that you see "Primary Server" smtp.comcast.net On >

Click on that line to take you to the next page so that you see:

Server = ON

Outgoing Mail Server

Host Name = smtp.comcast.net

User Name = WhatEverYouChose

Password = EnterYourPasswordAgain

Use SSL = ON

Authenication = Password >

Click on "Done" at the top of the page

That should do it.

Web Page Expert
BethKatz

[ Edited ]

Follow the link below to see screenshots showing that info:

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/E-Mail-and-Xfinity-Connect-Help/Screenshots-of-iPhone-5-mail-settings/m...

Note that the name field cannot be Comcast.

You may need to change your Comcast password everywhere to have both uppercase and lowercase letters. And maybe a digit.

Apple email clients need to have the password set in two places - incoming and outgoing.

New Visitor
DTrin50

Me too. Exactly the issueissue

Contributor
Rkdouglas

YES! ..It worked. I believe I found 3 places for passwords. Also I changed my iCloud mail password to the same password When I set up my account at the apple store.    Thanks sooooo much.

New Visitor

Thanks so much, I entered my password under outgoing and it worked! It worked fine without for some time so Comcast must have changed something.

New Visitor
DTrin50

my issue has been resolved.  Not sure what I did, but it now is sending and receiving mail.  Thanks

Frequent Visitor

I use comcast email on a laptop and on a new ipad and iphone.  Works fine on laptop, but on Iphone and ipad I can't send email.  Looks like other people have had the same problem.  I've tried everything written and a few things that aren't, but nothing helps.  I just have a line-up of emails that can't be sent.  Help

Web Page Expert
BethKatz

[ Edited ]

Are you positive that

- for smtp.comcast.net you are using port 465 with SSL and password authentication

- the name field is your name and not Comcast

- the username is your Comcast user name without the @comcast.net

- the server setting is ON

- your password is typed correctly and contains an upper and lower case letter as well as a digit

- you don't have a signature with a phone number or web address in it (sometimes the mail server drops mail silently if there is something that triggers a spam filter; but you said the mail just doesn't go out)

Have you force quit Mail and started it again?

Apple email clients need to have the password set and saved in two places - incoming and outgoing - and the ports are different.

Outgoing settings should look like this:

mailOutgoing.jpg

Contributor
Rkdouglas

After looking further in the forums, I went to settings and found several places for my password. I made sure all passwords were the same for incoming and outgoing mail. So my problem is solved,thank you.

New Visitor
hanch

i deleted my yahoo server account, deleted my comcast server accound then reentered the comcast info and now it works.  who knows why!

New Visitor
Ljnw

My iPad no longer sends or receives mail. The problem is that somehow smtp has been added to my address. It says smtp wwwlaura @smtpcomcast.net. I hope you can solve this problem.
Email Expert
CCCarole

This clickable link contains gall the correct settings for an iPhone or iPad.

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.

Contributor
Rkdouglas

I read the forums and guess what....your send and receive email for iCloud must have same password. This also applies if you have comcast,charter, etc. Click setting-> mail,calendar,&contacts. This is where you will find your email accounts.
New Visitor

Thanks! Worked like a charm!
New Visitor

I have an ipad with same issue - won't send email from ipad with comcast address - it started when I changed my comcast password - solved the problem when I
entered the new password in settings in 2 places, 1 on the comcast settings page -then open the smtp outgoing server selection and change to the new password. You will be ready to go.
New Visitor
fchava

that worked like a charm... thx!