Contributor
kismet1993

iPhone 4 not downloading email consistently with IOS 5 from comcast server

My Iphone 4 with IOS 5 just started having issues downloading email from comcast server consistently. It is working, but there is SOMETIMES a delay in download and then it works perfectly other times.  Sometimes it tries to download the same 200 emails over and over. Anyone have any ideas? I have already deleted and re-added my email account, reset phone and still not working properly.  Apple thinks it is a comcast IOS 5 issue.

Web Page Expert
BethKatz

Re: iPhone 4 not downloading email consistently with IOS 5 from comcast server

Make sure you have a solid signal and let Mail grab the email without being interrupted. For me this seems to be more of a problem first thing in the morning.

Perhaps empty Mail's trash on your iPhone. Go to the front page of mail and scroll to the bottom of the page to access each mail account. Tap on the account and then Trash. Tap Edit at upper right. A red Delete All button appears at lower left. Tap it and choose Delete All. Go back the the main screen. Repeat trash deletion for other accounts.

Then restart Mail by going to your normal start screen, double-pressing the home button, pressing and holding the Mail icon until it jiggles, and pressing the - on the Mail icon. Press the home button again. Then launch Mail.

Contributor
kismet1993

Thank  you for the ideas.

I have a solid signal. There is nothing in my trash. I only have one mail account, comcast.  The email does download, but not on a regular basis.  I says it is "Checking for mail" and then does not download anything even though there are multiple emails.   This will last for hours at a time, then it will work without me doing anything.  It works intermittently.  It is very frustrating and just started happening 2 days ago. I have used this with no issues for over a year and about 2 weeks after I upgrade to IOS 5, the issue starts. Is anyone else having this trouble??  

Web Page Expert
BethKatz

Are there some big email attachments? Is it getting stuck at the same place?

You might go into the Xfinity Connect web-based email and move messages near where it is getting stuck into a folder.

Also, have you double-checked your email settings? When you idd the iOS 5 upgrade, iTunes claimed that it was doing a backup, then it wiped the iPhone's memory, installed the new operating system, and restored its backup. But the backup may have been from earlier and not when you did the upgrade. So if you changed Mail's settings shortly before the upgrade, your older settings may have been restored.

Also, your messages that had been downloaded to the phone as well as the Sent folder were not restored.

What is your setting for "Fetch New Data"? 

Visitor

I started having the same problem two days ago, also.  I upgraded my os three days ago.  I am unable to send any emails, receiving the following message:  "Cannon Send Mail  The user name or password for "SMTP:smileysad:my user name)@smtp.comcast.net" is incorrect."

Here are my settings:

Outgoing Server:

Primary Server: smtp.comcast.net

Server:  On

Host Name:  smtp.comcast.net

User Name:  (blank)

Password:  (blank)

Use SSL : on

Authentication:  (no password entered), Apple Token, MD5 Challenge-Response, NTLM, HTTP MD5 Digest

Server Port: 25

I was checking the internet for solutions yesterday and read to change this port to 25.  When I did, it immediatetly sent my email.  But that's it.  Nothing has been sent since.  Also, I added my user name and password to the Outgoing Server page (showing blanks above), but it said it couldn't validate either username or password.

Thanks in advance to all those who reply.

Web Page Expert
BethKatz

[ Edited ]

Maryanne, you need better settings.

Look at the pictures I posted HERE. (click that link to another post in this forum).

Don't use port 25.

Edit: Again, what probably happened is when you did the update, the update restored old settings for Mail from an earlier backup.

Contributor
jackyrun

I have an iPhone 3GS and haven't had comcast email downloaded since last Saturday, although my AOL email comes in steadily. Gotta be Comcastissue, right?

Web Page Expert
BethKatz

Did you see the settings I posted HERE. (click that link to another post in this forum).

Carefully check the settings.

Also look at your mailbox online in Xfinity Connect (the web-based email) and see if there is a message that is getting in the way. Create a folder and move a few messages around the first message that isn't downloading into that folder. Then try to fetch mail again.

Contributor
jackyrun

The smtp server port was set at 25 and I changed it per your visuals, however, nada!

Web Page Expert
BethKatz

Did you try moving messages in the web-based email? There may be a corrupted message.

Also, go into the individual accounts on the phone (bottom of the main Mail screen on the phone), and empty the trash in each account. Then quit mail and restart.

Contributor
jackyrun

Yes and yes. Still downloading old mail that I keep deleting on my computer and iPhone.

Web Page Expert
BethKatz

There are multiple posters in this thread, and I don't think you all have the same problem or the same expectations about how mail works. I'm going to throw out some ideas.

First of all, when you updated to iOS 5, the update may have restored different settings than you thought you had for the mail app. Carefully check each part of your settings. If you make changes, be sure to back out and save them.

I also have Fetch New Data to Off and check for mail manually.

jackyrun wrote:

Yes and yes. Still downloading old mail that I keep deleting on my computer and iPhone.

If you take all the email that is on Xfinity Connect's Inbox and move it into a folder in Xfinity Connect and then send yourself an email, does your phone or computer receive it? Is the computer deleting the messages? Is the phone?

I guess I'm confused because now you say downloading old mail when message 7 says you've had no email since last Saturday. Do both the computer and phone have problems?

Contributor
jackyrun

I haven't received NEW comcast mail on the iPhone. I get my Comcast email fine on my computer. I do get old (like 2010) email messages downloaded onto my iPhone. These are messages that I never opened or read and did not delete. I will try moving my email into a folder and see what happens. THANKS for all of your help!

Visitor

I didn't have any problems after installing iOS5 on my iPhone 4, but have had the problem with receiving new mail twice now in the last week on my iPhone 4S running 5.0.1 Sending works fine. The first time, it just resolved itself after several days. Now it's happening again, starting yesterday. . I have three Comcast email addresses on the phone; the problem is only with my main account. It's an issue on my iPad 2 as well. Mail is delivered fine to the Xfinity app. Very frustrating.
Contributor
jackyrun

My issue resolved itself - for one day - and started all over again the next. This time, I have not received new Comcast email since last Wednesday. I'm ready to entirely give up on Comcast email and use something else.

New Visitor
notsosure

I have a similar issue with inconsistent downloading of emails to my iphone4 (with ios5)--receive emails in my comcast account online, but not on my iphone.  Was told by the 'geniuses' at apple that the issue was with the Comcast servers and can't be fixed.  has anyone heard the same thing?

Web Page Expert
BethKatz

You might try fetching less frequently. Apple software (Mac Mail and iOS) seems to expect the Comcast mail servers to respond more quickly than they can.

Overall, I haven't had many problems with iOS 5 after I checked that my mail settings were what I expected them to be. The upgrade wiped the phone and for some people restored old settings.

See the settings  HERE. (click that link to another post in this forum)

Contributor
kismet1993

My problem seems to have resolved itself.  I have changed nothing in my settings. I have not noticed any delays in the last couple of weeks. The issue could come back, but for now it is working.  Thanks for all the help everyone.

New Visitor

Beth,

Thanks for trying to help us with this. I set the settings carefully as you depicted and after 15- 20 minutes of waiting for the "Verifying" message & busy symbol to go away after I had clicked Done, got a message saying "these settings may not work. "

I should have not been timid and tested, but not I put back in the 587 for the server port on the SMTP page, hoping that having re-entered passwords as described elsewhere might help.

My experience as well is that both outgoing and incoming emails are intermittently functioning, and there is no discernible pattern (that is, no time of day difference or big/complex emails, or different push settings making a difference, just...random). Now stuck in "Verifying" mode again. Anyway, just wanted to provide a little more detail on the experience as I have had it in case amplification of detail proves useful.