Regular Visitor

lost email on comcast server

I logged into Comcast server to check my emails to find that my entire inbox is gone. Anyone else having this issue?
Email Expert
JR071702

Re: lost email on comcast server

If your e-mail is disappearing from the Inbox and you are not running an e-mail client that would be downloading the messages from the e-mail server, then you should immediately change your password and make it a "strong" password.

This will prevent any e-mail client from continuing to "pop" your Comcast Inbox.

Here is a link to a Microsoft article called Strong passwords: How to create and use them which is good reading on the subject.

I imagine the question 'How did they get my password', has crossed your mind. Here is a good link with info on some of the way that passwords can be compromised:

http://www.filterjoe.com/2010/05/14/how-attackers-steal-passwords/

Note: Your Comcast email password is not stored on the Comcast email server. Comcast stores a mathematical representation of your combined email address and password. In the unlikely event that some was able to hack into the Comcast email servers, neither your email address nor password would be exposed.

JR

New Visitor

Yes, All of my emails were gone too in a couple of my accounts.  Something is up here!  Pete

Email Expert
CCCarole

GrannySmith wrote:

Yes, All of my emails were gone too in a couple of my accounts.  Something is up here!  Pete

Please re-read JR's post.  Immediately change your passwords too.  Never use the same password on multiple sites.  If you also use an email client as well as XfinityConnect, make sure your new password (s) is also changed to match in the email client. 

Make it complex ( a random mix of upper and lower case letters, numbers, and special characters (if allowed)) with a minimum length of 8 characters up to the 16 allowed by Comcast.

In addition, I would check your Email Deletion Schedule for each Username under Preferences>Email.  Scroll down to the Schedule and see how many days EACH folder is set to automatically delete email messages from each folder.  While there, make any changes you wish to make to the schedule and click on SAVE at the top of the page to save your changes.

CC

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.

New Visitor
ystankic

On Jan. 27 or 28, 2012 I found that all received email messages except recent twenty were gone from Inbox folder of one of my Comcast email accounts. I did not change any settings in Comcast mail and in my iPad, both of which have always set to "Never" deleting received emails. I have two more email accounts with Comcast, but they seem to be fine. I was devastated by this finding because I had so many emails with photos attaced, which are precious memories of someone mean to a lot. I called Comcast. Comcast told me that they investigate this and call me back. I have not heard back from them.
Email Expert
CCCarole

Have you changed your password to a strong password on EACH account?  I would recommend doing that immediately.

Also, do check your Email Deletion Schedule under Preferences>Email on the left side of the page for the problem account especially, but do check the others as well..  Scroll dwon to the Schedule and look at the number of days Read/Unread messages are set up to automatically delete messages.  Does that possibly explain why the messages are gone?  While there, you can make any changes you wish to make to the Schedule.  Remember to click on SAVE at the top of the page to save any changes made.

Post back please.

Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)

New Visitor
djo1675

I discovered most of my inbox was gone a few days ago.  I don't use outlook or anything else.  I was told I'd hear back from someone at Comcast by Wed, Feb 8.  I notice their replies keep suggesting its something we have done - so why are so many people having problems at the same time?

New Visitor
reality90210

happened to me today email past 4 am until 7 pm disappeared... and i have proof because in my sent items folder there are email that i replied to that have the original email received..

This happened to me twice by the way...

I am eagerly waiting to see the "explanation"  This is ridiculous ! 

I had important documents that just disappeared !

Email Expert
CCCarole

Do you use any email client,such as Windows Live Mail, Outlook,etc. in addition to Xfinityconnect? Have you checked your Email Deletion Schedule to see how many days are set to automatically delete emails from your folders? Have you checked to make sure that Auto Forward is NOT enabled? If neither of these explain why the emails disappeared, I would assume that someone got hold of your password and you should immediately change your password. The new password should consist of upper and lower case letters, some numbers, and a couple of characters. Never use the same password in multiple sites either. CC

New Visitor
lc65464

This is ridiculous.  Same thing happened to me.  No one stole my password.  No one hacked into my account.

My settings dictate that none of my email is deleted for any reason.

Why do you have no explanation for where people's email is going?

You are blaming us for our email being deleted from YOUR system.  Lost email is extremely inconvenient.  Amazing - yet another "technology" company has no clue what they're doing.