Regular Contributor

lots of spam

I seem to be getting a lot of spam in my inbox again.  These are messages that really shouldn't be missed at this point.  Interestingly, Gmail filters these same emails into the spam filter.  Why does Comcast seem to be lagging in spam filtering? 

Networking Expert
Baric

Re: lots of spam

Do you have the Comcast spam filter activated?  Even if it is, no spam fitler is perfect and some always gets through.  If Comcast were to tighten things up too much, then legitimate messages will start being marked as spam in error.  Better to let some through than prevent real messages from being marked as spam.  But if you prefer the Gmail spam filters to what Comcast has, then by all means, use Gmail by forwarding all your Comcast email to your Gmail account.

Regular Contributor

Yes, I've had the Comcast spam filter activated forever.  I just can't understand why Comcast can't get the same quality of filtering as GMail or some of the other services.

Networking Expert
Baric

Personally, I don't see much difference.  I have seen an increase in spam that gets through the Comcast filter over the last month or so, but it only amounts to 5-6 messages a day, hardly an inconvience.  My Gmail account gets less, but then it's used less as well.  So, on the whole, they would seem to be equivalent.  Perhaps others who use Gmail more heavily than I would like to give their expereince.