New Visitor

outlook 2002 cannot send e-mails

I cannot send e-mails but I can receive them.
I have input all the right settings for POP and SMTP.
I have changed out going mail from 25 to 465
I have changed my incoming mail from 110 to 995
Before I changed outgoing and incoming settings I received no error messages.
After changing to the higher settings I now receive an error message 0x800ccc19.
I then changed my server time out to long or 5 minutes.
My firewall is off.
I can't get this thing to send mail.
My mail just sets in the out box.
Most Valued Poster

Re: outlook 2002 cannot send e-mails

You have a conflict with your firewall/AV software. Did you read this thread and try fixes outlined there?
New Visitor

I can send emails unless they include an attachment! Also, I can send emails with attachments just fine through another account that I have set up on my Outlook mail client.
I went away on vacation July 11. Returned last night and tried to send some photos to a friend. Mail just sat in the Outbox for 8 hours. This evening I did several test mails, tried reconfiguring the account, deleted the account and created a new one, did a spyware scrub, a system restore, NADA. I get the following error message:
Task 'mail.comcast.net - Sending' reported error (0x80042109) : 'Outlook is unable to connect to your outgoing (SMTP) e-mail server. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).'

I'm using Outlook 2002 on Windows XP Home. Windows firewall, no Macafee or Symantec SW running. And, as I mentioned, I can send just fine through another account. It's definitely a problem with the comcast server.
Most Valued Poster

> I can send emails unless they include an attachment!

This is a different problem than the original poster. Please start your own thread.
Most Valued Poster

> I have changed out going mail from 25 to 465
> I have changed my incoming mail from 110 to 995
> Before I changed outgoing and incoming settings I
> received no error messages.

Anon560709,

It sounds like when you changed the outgoing and incoming ports, you did not enable SSL for those ports.

The Advanced tab should look like this:

Outgoing(SMTP): 465
Check box to "This server requires...(SSL)"

Incoming(POP3): 995
Check box to "This server requires...(SSL)"

You can return the Server Timeout setting to Short, 1 min.

This should fix the problem.

Bill

Here's the full run-down. Don't skip over any of these steps:

In Outlook, choose Tools, E-Mail Accounts, View or change existing e-mail account, click on your Comcast account to highlight it, Change, incoming server is mail.comcast.net, outgoing server is smtp.comcast.net, make sure “Logon using Secure Password Authentication (SPA)” is NOT checked, More Settings, the Outgoing Server tab, check “My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication,” choose “Use same settings as my incoming mail server,” the Advanced tab, check both boxes for “This server requires an SSL-secured connection (SSL),” change port number to 995 for incoming, 465 for outgoing.

Don’t bother with the “test” function in Outlook – it often fails, even when everything is set correctly. Shut down Outlook, and make sure it isn’t continuing to run in the background: CTRL-ALT-DEL, the Processes tab, kill any occurrences of OUTLOOK.EXE.

Turn off whatever email scanning your anti-virus package is doing. Comcast already scans incoming email for viruses, and your outgoing email isn’t going to be infected unless your machine is already infected, so there’s no point checking it all the time.

On your firewall, make sure ports 465 and 995 aren’t blocked (if the software will let you do that). If you’re running Norton Internet Security or Personal Firewall, configure the firewall to open it to the incoming mail server: Networking, Trusted, Add, Individually, mail.comcast.net.
New Visitor

I have followed your instructions to the tee.
I still can not send OUT e-mail.
I am back to the original issue of my e-mail remaining in my outbox with no error messages.
Outlook says " Your requested tasks were completed sucssessfully" but the mail has not moved.
There is another message under tasks that states "Recieving mail on account 'Comcast Online'
Server: Lan
Most Valued Poster

Do you have Outlook set to "send immediately"? You may just be sending to your outbox for later delivery.
New Visitor

Thank you.
It seems the old messages created under the old settings would not work.
When I created a new message using the new settings my message was sent!
Thank you for all your time and patience!