New Visitor
kpennino

outlook email won't send after new cable modem installed

[ Edited ]

we just recently had a technician come out to repair our home internet connection after a storm. he determined we needed a new cable modem (i pretty much knew this would be the case), which he replaced with a new cable modem while he was here. we're still using the same wireless router and it's working just fine.

anyhow, my husband uses outlook on his mac book pro to send/receive work emails and immediately after we had this new router installed, his email will no longer send. he can receive email just fine and our internet connection is fine as well. 

as a side note; his email will send at his work and/or starbucks or pretty much anywhere else he can get a connection, just no longer at home after we had the service guy come help us.

when i click on the alert triangle it reads: error: an operation on the server timed out. the server maybe be down, overloaded, or there may be too much net traffic. error code: -3259

New Visitor
acreative

Re: outlook email won't send after new cable modem installed

I am having the same exact problem.

New modem and everything.

I can receive from Comcast but it won't send.

Any resoutions?

Email Expert
CCCarole

Please post what Port you are using in Outlook for SMTP.  It should be Port 465 with SSL On. If you used Port 25 in the past, that Port has now been blocked.

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.

Visitor

Re: outlook email won't receive after new cable modem installed

Installed new modem today. Outlook 2003 will not receive email. It sends email ok. When you test account settings it says it says all tasks were completed successfully. The test message sends but it does not receive.

New Visitor
acreative

Mine was fixed by changing to port 587

Visitor

Outgoing (SMTP)is at port 587. Incoming (pop 3is at 110

Official Employee

It needs to be Port 465 for SMTP with SSL On... There is a thread located here as well with many of the different email client directions:

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/E-Mail-and-Xfinity-Connect-Help/Port-Change-Notification/td-p/1470331

Thank you,
Sharath
Comcast Silicon Valley
Visitor

I changed the ports to 995 pop3 and 465 smtp and checked the boxes for ssl. Test account settings says it is ok. However I get a receiving error the server name cannot be found on the network during a send/receive

Email Expert
CCCarole

Please post the complete error message you are receiving. Copy/paste. It into your reply.

Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)

Bronze Problem Solver

ComcastXCHelp wrote:

It needs to be Port 465 for SMTP with SSL On... 

It *needs* to be port 465? Comcast is no longer supporting port 587? (rhetorical question)

New Visitor
kpennino

[ Edited ]

i have changed his incoming port to 995 and outgoing port to 465 (with SSL on both) and his emails still won't leave his outbox. i've already tried the other random numbers that were recommended here as well.

spoke with an xfinity tech support person on the phone and she was convinced something must be wrong with my husbands outlook/computer just because she doesn't know how to fix the problem.

again, there is nothing wrong with his computer or my outlook. it works FINE everywhere BUT at home. the problem is with my ISP! hello!?? xfinity is anybody home??

in other words, if he wants to send his emails, he gets in the car and either drives to work, a friends house, starbucks, the nearby hotel... anywhere BUT home. 

the error message he gets is: "an operation on the server timed out. the server may be down, overloaded, or there may be too much net traffic."

Networking Expert
kevj

kpennino wrote:

i have changed my incoming to 995 and outgoing to 465 (with SSL on both) and my emails still won't leave my outbox. i've already tried the other numbers that were recommended here as well.

spoke with an xfinity tech support person on the phone and she was convinced something must be wrong with my husbands outlook/computer just because she doesn't know how to fix the problem.

again, there is nothing wrong with his computer or my outlook. it works FINE every where BUT at home. the problem is with my ISP! hello!?? xfinity is anybody home??

What is the outgoing server name configured in the mail client?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I don't work for Comcast...

Help us to help you!!
- respond to requests for info
- post back if your issue is resolved
- mark appropriate posts as solutions

Send feedback to Comcast using the 'feedback' link on this page:
http://www.comcast.com/Corporate/Customers/CustomerGuarantee.html?SCRedirect=true

New Visitor
kpennino

the outgoing server name is the one he uses for his work email. 

Networking Expert
kevj

and you have changed the port on that outgong setting to port 465 with SSL or port 587 (no SSL) and neither works?

If so, has your husband chacked to see if his work server uses ports 465 or 587?

Help us to help you!!

http://www.comcast.com/Corporate/Customers/CustomerGuarantee.html?SCRedirect=true

New Visitor
kpennino

his previous port addresses that were working fine in the beginning were 110 and 25.

Networking Expert
kevj

kpennino wrote:

his previous port addresses that were working fine in the beginning were 110 and 25.

Right...and port 25 is being blocked, so he needs to change to either 465 with SSL or 587 without SSL...

The port change applies to ALL email servers that you access from behind your modem...not just Comcast ones

Help us to help you!!

New Visitor
kpennino

i've tried the 465 with SSL unsuccessfully and i just now tried the 587 without the SSL and neither are working. both times i get the server time out error. 

Networking Expert
kevj

So he needs to check with his work IT group to see if they support ports 465 or 587...

Help us to help you!!

New Visitor
kpennino

okay. i will have him do that. is there anything i might try if they don't support either of those two outgoing ports?

i appreciate you chiming in to help us troubleshoot this, btw. thank you.

Networking Expert
kevj

[ Edited ]

kpennino wrote:

okay. i will have him do that. is there anything i might try if they don't support either of those two outgoing ports?

i appreciate you chiming in to help us troubleshoot this, btw. thank you.

If they do not support those ports, he *may* be able to set up his work account to send email via the Comcast SMTP servers (Incoming email settings should not change). This normally works for other 3rd party email systems, however his IT group may have restrictions that could prevent this from working...

and you are welcome... :smileyhappy:

Help us to help you!!

New Visitor
rmcomp

I have the same issue---but no new modem. The outgoing e-mail inexplicably quit working.  I have tried changing the ports to no avail.  I cansend e-mail on my i-pad wirelessly (no 3G) but not my MacBook Pro. 

Email Expert
CCCarole

Are you using Mail?  If so, see this clickable link.

http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/internet/setting-up-email-for-a-mac#465

New Visitor
rmcomp

I am using outlook and Mac OSX.  I can receive but not send.  The error message I get is:

An operation on the server timed out. The server may be down, overloaded, or there may be too much net traffic.

Mail could not be sent.

Account name: "Comcast"

Error code: - 3529

I have changed the ports as instructed but I still can't send.  As I mentioned earlier, this has worked for months with the same computer, settings, modem, etc., until a couple of days ago. 

New Visitor
rmcomp

I tried port 465 again today and it worked so all is good now!

New Visitor

All this sounds familiar to me.

I received a notice that my modem was not able to handle the higher speeds that xfinity offered. I installed the new modem and my outlook mail quit working. I love the new speed...killer fast.

Settings: POP3  port 995     mail.comcast.net

SMTP                  port 465     smtp.comcast.net

both set to requires SSL

My Outlook "Test Settings" shows no problems (all green check marks)

error: 

Task 'xxxxxxmy name - Receiving' reported error (0x800408FC) : 'The server name you entered can not be found on the network (it might be down temporarily). Please verify that you are online and that the server name is correct.'

I can send mail OK but cannot receive any mail. 

I called xfinity support and the mail expert told me to call Microsoft with my issue.

I went into xfinity webmail and am forwarding all my mail to a gmail account so that is the only way I can receive mail. I would use gmail all the time but have so many business and personal contacts that it will be a major task to contact them all to change email addresses.

New Visitor
CJMORRISON

I read all of these posts and tried all of these ports and settings advised and I still could not send out my work emails out like I used to just 2 weeks prior. I dreaded calling Comcast so I did a chat and an hour and 20 minutes later was right back to where I was before. I asked 3 times if there was something specifically I needed to put on my "Outgoing Server" and "Advanced" tabs. He didn't know and escalated the case to a "ticket" and someone would contact me, but proceeded to tell me it was my "outdated Outlook 2007" and asked me the same questions I had already answered and even put in the original request. I reminded that not only did it work on other internet services but still worked on my Comcast internet at work. Just 2 weeks ago, it stopped sending emails because Comcast changed some setting, but somehow it was something I needed to do even though I had not changed my computer, Outlook, cable modem, router, or anything.

So let me hopefully help some people save some time and give you better and more accurate advice from a customer than you will get from an employee of Comcast.

Things that are NOT true that are listed on their web sites:

1) Port 25 is no longer supported by Comcast. Then why does it work on a Comcast Business account? It only does not work for residential and why not, when every public wifi and smart phones' cellular data uses it? They will say it's for security reasons but it's maybe too much security if their own customers can't send emails out???

2) SSL should be checked on the "Advanced" tab. 

SSL Encryption checked checked

That does not work, but when the type of encrypted connection is switched to "None" it works correctly.

3) Your Outlook should be updated to work properly. Then why are there links for several different Outlook version including 2003 and Express? The Outlook version has NOTHING to do with it.

In additon to the above 3 incorrect pieces of info, they also do not tell you that you need to UNCLICK "Require SPA" on the "Outgoing Server" tab.

So if you are having trouble sending a 3rd party email from your Comcast Internet service and the switches to different ports and settings did not work, do what we figured out in a 3rd of the time we wasted on the chat:

1) Under Email settings under Change Email Account > change the Outgoing mail server to smtp.comcast.net even if you are not using a Comcast account and if your POP3 incoming belongs to your work email's domain.

2) Click on the "More Settings" button and under the "Outgoing Server" tab, click "My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication.

3) Click the button "Log on using" button and enter the same user name and password for your Comcast account. Click "Remember password". DO NOT CLICK "Require Secure Password Authentication (SPA). Do not click anything else on this tab.

4) Under the "Advanced tab" enter 587 and then click NONE for "Use the following type of encrypted connection.

5) Click OK and then go back to "Test Account Settings" and I think you will be happy.

I hope the Comcast folks can use this info for their other customers because it took me 4 hours with all of this just to continue to be their customer after a change they made! My reimbursement? $20 on my next bill. If the person I chatted with said to unclick SPA and click none on the SSL which is the opposite of what they told me and is online, I would have been done. Even better he had an attitude with me and was using explanation points and asking me if I understood. Yep, I sure did, apparently more than he did and I have never taken a computer class in my life. Good luck!

Visitor

same problem. Comcast is of no help whatsoever.  It suddenly stopped on March 26th, outgoig is fine - no incoming.  Lots of blame going around-it's Microsft, Microsoft says its comcast, and so forth.  Also was coaxed into getting new Cable box and was told it would clear up everything ----LOL, it just added more problems.  Anybody having some luck?

Email Expert
Latoque

gerdafr wrote:

same problem. Comcast is of no help whatsoever.  It suddenly stopped on March 26th, outgoig is fine - no incoming.  Lots of blame going around-it's Microsft, Microsoft says its comcast, and so forth.  Also was coaxed into getting new Cable box and was told it would clear up everything ----LOL, it just added more problems.  Anybody having some luck?

If you are not getting any incoming emails at all, try sending yourself an email from some other account you have like Hotmail or AOL etc.  Does it get through OK?  If not, check to see if your Safe List got turned on------------

Assuming that you are in either your Primary, or an unrestricted Secondary account--------------

Click on either "Account" or My Account" at the top of your screen, depending on which page you are on at the moment. It should ask you to sign in again. When you have done so, it should take you to a page with four tabs at the top that say "Overview", "Billing and Payments", "My Services", and "Users and Preferences". Click on "Users and Preferences" if it's not open already, and you should see another page with your name and address, account number and other things. You should see two tabs----"Basic Settings", and to the right of it ------"Email Settings". Click on that and you will see several choices including the Safe List. If it's enabled the button will be green.

When the Safe List is enabled, the only emails that will go to your Inbox will be from addresses you deliberately put on that list manually. Nothing else will get through. So if it's turned on, you need to turn it off.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________
These are customer to customer support forums. We are paying customers just like you. We volunteer our time to try and help other customers with how-to help, and troubleshoot problems if we can. We can't look at your account. The only Comcast employees in the forums are those with their names in RED.
Contributor
Turmoil

[ Edited ]

If you're running Outlook 2003, then it does not support IPv6 and if you've got an IPv6 address then it will not be able to resolve the mail servers names(mail.comcast.net and smtp.comcast.net) with the IPv6 DNS.

There are a few solutions. You can use the IPv4 address for the mail servers. Off hand I don't know what they are, but a Google search could probably find them. Also any tool that shows the IP address for a given host name should give you the same results.

Outlook 2003 is no longer supported by Microsoft, so you should upgrade to a more modern email client.

Either a newer version of Outlook or something like Thunderbird.

Also, along with using Port 465 for the outgoing email, you have to make sure whatever setting in your email client is configured for "My outgoing server requires authentication" and have it use the same settings as your incoming mail server.

With the people having trouble with Outlook 2011, I searched and I did not see any clear answer from Microsoft if it supports IPv6.

New Visitor
6hoerls

Thanks so much this was really helpful.