New Visitor
cornwel1

read receipt and request delivery receipt FOR EMAIL

How do I attach read receipt and request delivery receipt to my outgoing emails?

Email Expert
CCCarole

Re: read receipt and request delivery receipt FOR EMAIL

cornwel1 wrote:

How do I attach read receipt and request delivery receipt to my outgoing emails?

If you are using Smartzone, it does not have that feature.  Most email clients do, however.

Also note that while you could request a receipt suing an email client, it is still up the recipient if they allow one to be sent to you.

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.

Bronze Star Contributor
Cobra67

What a great feature to have in this day and age.  With it being more evident every day that people are using e-mail rather than snail mail, you would think that major players in communication would be providing that type of option.  I'm just sayin :smileyhappy:

Email Expert

Many people disable the feature in the mail reader that sends the receipt, because they consider it a privacy invasion. So it's never been a reliable mechanism.

If you want to know when they're read your email, ask them to reply.

Bronze Star Contributor
Cobra67

Then there are many people who do not disable it.  Also if your dealing with businesses/schools/work etc.  it becomes a very valuable tool.  It's not a MAJOR item to add as an option for comcast, so why not at least offer it if there was a demand for it. 

Mac Expert
Joel

Cobra67 wrote:

Then there are many people who do not disable it.  Also if your dealing with businesses/schools/work etc.  it becomes a very valuable tool.  It's not a MAJOR item to add as an option for comcast, so why not at least offer it if there was a demand for it. 

This IS a feature that exists in email clients designed for business environments (i.e. Outlook, Lotus Notes, etc.) as well as email systems designed for business environments (i.e. Exchange). Comcast is a residential email service that you get at no additional cost to your internet service. While email clients like Outlook will function fine with your Comcast email account, you will not not the same level of functionality as you would on a corporate Exchange server. Regarding read receipts, most email clients that do support them have them disabled by default. In a residential situation (even many in business consider it so, but you have fewer rights when using your work email account/server), most consider this a privacy invasion. Spammers use similar technology to harvest email account; though not truly read receipts, web bugs embedded in a 1px X 1px graphic in the body of an email function in a similar manner: they let the sender know when a message has been opened. 

Networking Expert
kevj

Cobra67 wrote:

It's not a MAJOR item to add as an option for comcast,

Upon what do you base this statement? Comcast did not develop the application they use for web mail, so until the functionality is built in by the company that developed it, it wouldn't be an option...Also, the POP3/SMTP protocols upon which the Comcast consumer email system is built have no provision for such notifications. The POP3/SMTP protocols are defined in RFCs by the IETF, and are in fact seperate and distinct protocols, that have no immediate interaction with each other. For this reason, much of the development of options like this has to occur at the client level. Given the volume of email that flows over the internet using POP3 and SMTP protocols, the percentage of users that want read receipts is very small. If you want business level functions, get business level email services....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I don't work for Comcast...

Help us to help you!!
- respond to requests for info
- post back if your issue is resolved
- mark appropriate posts as solutions

Send feedback to Comcast using the 'feedback' link on this page:
http://www.comcast.com/Corporate/Customers/CustomerGuarantee.html?SCRedirect=true

New Visitor
PjFitzgeraldlaw

Okay, in reading previous statements regarding getting receipts for sent email I see that they say that Comcast/Xfinity is a residential server.  Well I have Comcast/Xfinity Business Package and still cannot request a receipt. I don't have a problem with people disabling this function, but if not I want to have the availability of receiving a receipt.

Wake up Comcast/Xfinity,  you are offering Small Business Packages please give us what we need such as the receipt availability.

Thank You

Official Employee
ComcastJordan

PjFitzgeraldlaw,

You may want to contact our Business Class support (http://business.comcast.com/contact/index.aspx?navid=ContactUs).  Business class customers should be on our Hosted Exchange offering which does support read receipts. 

Hope this helps.