Contributor

save email folder to folder on computer

Hi,

Can I save or download  an email folder, with all the emails in it, to my computer? i don't see a place to do it.

I use Firefox & Mozilla. On my work computer, with IE & Outlook Express, it can auto-archive to my computer. I don't see this action or option in Comcast.

thanks,

Marlene

Email Expert
Latoque

Re: save email folder to folder on computer

I also use Mozilla Thunderbird as my mail client.  I use my Yahoo address as my primary email.  If I remember it right, after I had configured T-Bird, I dragged and dropped copies of my local folders into the Yahoo Inbox.  T-Bird then automatically downloaded them to  it's own  Inbox.  From there you can put them where you like.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________
These are customer to customer support forums. We are paying customers just like you. We volunteer our time to try and help other customers with how-to help, and troubleshoot problems if we can. We can't look at your account. The only Comcast employees in the forums are those with their names in RED.
Contributor

thanks, but I don't know what Thunderbird is, & I don't use Yahoo - my primary email is comast. I can't drag the folder out of the email folder.

So... hopefully, someone will know how to download an email folder into a folder on my computer. Even if I get it onto my desktop, I can put it anyplace.

Marlene

Email Expert
CCCarole

Marlene41 wrote:

thanks, but I don't know what Thunderbird is, & I don't use Yahoo - my primary email is comast. I can't drag the folder out of the email folder.

So... hopefully, someone will know how to download an email folder into a folder on my computer. Even if I get it onto my desktop, I can put it anyplace.

Marlene

Marlene,  You cannot download or move any of the XfinityConnect Folders.  What you could do is set up an email client (Windows Live Mail, Outlook, etc.) on your PC, then you can move the messages into Folders you created in the email client. post back if we can help you further.

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.

Contributor

HI, Carole -

Thanks for the answer, even though it doesn't thrill me.

I'm semi-literate when it comes to computers, so I have another question re setting up another email client - Outlook (I imagine Outlook Express?) or Windows Live Mail. What is the benefit to that - I still can't move the email folder to a folder on my computer, right? I already have folders in Xnfinity.

And does setting up another email cllient mean that I create a new default email & lose Firefox (or Mozilla)?

I can copy individual emails into a word document & store that on my computer, but that doesn't address what I'd like to do.

Thanks.

Marlene

Email Expert
CCCarole

Marlene41 wrote:

HI, Carole -

Thanks for the answer, even though it doesn't thrill me.

I'm semi-literate when it comes to computers, so I have another question re setting up another email client - Outlook (I imagine Outlook Express?) or Windows Live Mail. What is the benefit to that - I still can't move the email folder to a folder on my computer, right? I already have folders in Xnfinity.

And does setting up another email cllient mean that I create a new default email & lose Firefox (or Mozilla)?

I can copy individual emails into a word document & store that on my computer, but that doesn't address what I'd like to do.

Thanks.

Marlene

Marlene,

Now I hope this isn't too much information and confuses you...

No, you cannot move the folder but If you set up an email client, then you can move the messages in your XfinityConnect Folders directly into Folders you have already created in the email client- using filters to get them to the correct Folder you created.

Once the messages are on your PC (not a webserver like XfinityConnect/webmail)  You can either save them there, copy to a CD,external drive, or thumbdrive too, for storage.  Many more versality/features and options are available with an email client too.  Think of webmail as viewing your messages on a webpage- that really is what webmail basically is.

There are a number of different ways to do accomplish moving messages from XC to an email client.  Creating filters is one way, but the most complicated method. Some methods varies abit, depending on which email client you would choose.

If you have Outlook, as part of Microsoft Office, you can use that email client.  OR you can download & configure Windows Live Mail (another email client) 

Here is information on Windows Live Mail:  LINK

IF you would like more detail on how you would do this, let us know which email client you want to use, and we can give you more explanations of how this is done.

Do you have a large number of messages you would want to move?

"And does setting up another email cllient mean that I create a new default email & lose Firefox (or Mozilla)?"

Firefox is a browser, not an email client. just as Internet Explorer is also an internet browser. 

An email client can be configured to download your messages to your email client and leave a copy of your messages on the Comcast server too. ( in the XC Inbox) The default setting for most email clients is to download to the email client Inbox, and remove the messages from the server.

I use XfinityConnect, Outlook 2010, and Windows Live Mail.  I store messages I want to keep long term in a folder I created in Outlook.  

Do you think you understand thew differences between an email client a web based email better now? 

Your other choice, since you cannot move Folders from XfinityConnect at all- If you find these suggestions are too complicated, as you said, you could always copy/paste all the messages you want to save into Word and save them in a Folder you create on your PC to store them.

Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)

Email Expert
Latoque

Marlene------------

I understand your confusion.  For a long time I had no one to teach me a lot of things about computers and the internet, and one of the things it took me the longest to grasp was the idea of using an email client program.  I just didn't understand the purpose of it and regarded it as an unnecessary complication.  I now use one all the time.  I still have to ask others questions about using it sometimes.  So allow me to try and make the concept as easy to think about as possible.

A)  I gather you are using Firefox as your browser----good choice.  Your browser is the program that allows your computer to access the internet.  Without one we wouldn't be having this exchange of posts.

The browser is what allows you to check your Comcast email.  You don't have to do anything else at this point if you don't want to.  What you are doing is looking at Comcast's webmail service.

C)  For all practical purposes there are two kinds of email you need to know about-------web based email (or webmail)-----and  using an email client.  There are a number of client programs available to you------Outlook Express, Outlook, Eudora, Windows Live Mail, Thunderbird etc.  Which one you use depends on personal choice and whatever operating system you happen to have on your computer.

D)  When you log into your Comcast email account, you are reading your messages stored on their computer-------not yours.  This is the distinction-------when you use strictly web-based accounts like Comcast webmail, Hotmail, Yahoo, or gMail-------you are working with your email on someone else's computers, and not your own.  The biggest drawback to this scenario is that you don't have complete control over your own email messages.  You have only limited control depending on the parameters set by the mail account provider.

E)  When you elect to use a client program on your computer, what happens is that when you check your Inbox in that program, it downloads a copy of whatever is in the mail provider's Inbox to your computer.  Then you have complete control over what happens to it.  It doesn't matter what the account provider does after that point. Once you've downloaded a message to your computer, you could dump Comcast for another ISP and you will still have that email on your machine.  It just doesn't matter where you downloaded it from.

F)  The service provider's servers can act as a back-up.  In a client program, you can tick a box that tells the program to leave a copy on the server instead of deleting it.  So now you have it in both places----on your computer and on theirs.  And that is the main virtue of using a client email program.

I worked on a family genealogy project for 5 years.  Hundreds of emails were sent and received by me.  For a long time I used only my Yahoo email to handle all of it, and it did it well.  But then I got uneasy about leaving everything I had worked so long for on their computers.  I never lost an email with them, but there is always the possibility, however remote, that my account with them could be compromised/hacked, or I could lose the account for some reason, and along with it would go all that priceless information.  So now I use Mozilla Thunderbird for a client program and sleep a lot easier.

Oh and just to clarify-----Mozilla is the name of the group or company that developed Firefox and Thunderbird, among others.

I hope this helps you understand a bit better what the advandages of using a client program can be.:smileygrin:

___________________________________________________________________________________________________
These are customer to customer support forums. We are paying customers just like you. We volunteer our time to try and help other customers with how-to help, and troubleshoot problems if we can. We can't look at your account. The only Comcast employees in the forums are those with their names in RED.
Contributor

I understand the concept, but I wasn't able to provide the details as well as you have. Thank you so much!

My problem is (was) that I use multiple computers - leaving emails on my home computer was a disadvantage; I need to access the email from different computers. When it was on my computer, I couldn't.  I didn't realize I could also leave email with the email client & access it anywhere I want.

So that gives me the best of both worlds.

I'll look into it.

And thank you for your thoughtful, detailed & thorough explanation.

Malene

Email Expert
Latoque

Not a problem.  I just returned from a trip out of state, and I had my laptop with me.  I used the webmail function to check my accounts at Comcast, yahooand MSN (Hotmail).  When I got back, anything I had not deleted from the servers was downloaded as soon as I fired up Thunderbird on my desktop machine. 

Works like a charm.  I like Thunderbird personally.  Let us know what you do.

Email Expert
CCCarole

Great description of the difference between web based email and an email client.

Many customers that travel for business will use webmail for email access while away, and will, as Latoque mentioned, have access to the messages in the email client when they return (if not deleted from the Inbox while traveling & using XfinityConnect)

Here is another one that one of the Moderators posted a very long time ago- using the Post office for the analogy.  Still valid today.

One consistent theme in this forum is that a lot of users don't really understand the difference between Comcast webmail (CW) and an email client (EC), like Outlook, Outlook Express, Eudora, Thunderbird, etc.  They're under the impression that these are just programs that do exactly the same thing, but with a slightly different interface.  This impression is false.  For those of you who do understand the difference, this will bore you, so go read another thread!

For the rest of you, I think a simple analogy might help explain the difference.  Let's compare email to regular, paper-and-envelopes snail mail (SM).  When someone sends you an email, the message goes to the Comcast mail server. This is like SM going to your local friendly post office.

When you use CW, that's like driving from your house to the post office, standing at the counter, asking the clerk for your mail, then going through it right there.  You can throw some of it away, forward some of it, return some of it, or just have the clerk hold onto it for you.  But you're not taking any of it home with you.

There is one advantage to doing this: if your significant other also wants to see the mail, she can drive from her office to the post office, and look at the mail, too.  Likewise, if you're not at home, you can still drive to the post office to check your mail.  By analogy, using CW, you can check your mail from any PC that gives you Internet access, even in an Internet cafe in Patagonia (been there, done that!).

There are real disadvantages, however.  The post office won't let you set up an elaborate filing system to categorize your mail.  You can't keep unlimited amounts of mail at the post office.  Some postal clerk may get confused, and throw out all of your stored mail.  You can't pull out your calligraphy set when preparing a message to someone else, or when replying to a message - you have to use the pen that's chained to the counter.

Using an email client, on the other hand, is like having a letter carrier deliver the mail to your house.  An EC brings all of your mail from the mail server to your PC, and picks up whatever outgoing messages you've prepared.

The downside, of course, is that once the mail has been delivered to your house, if your SO drives over to the post office and asks for the mail, they're going to tell her that there isn't any.  And, if you're away from home, the letter carrier isn't going to come to wherever you happen to be.  By analogy, unless you have a laptop with you, you can't use your EC to receive or send email if you're away from your PC.  The solution to this problem is simple, however: when you're away, don't leave your EC running at home.  That way, it won't download your messages to your PC, and you can use CW from wherever you are.  When you get home again, fire up your EC, and bring everything down to your PC.

The advantages of letting the letter carrier bring the mail to your house are many: you can keep as much of your old mail as you can find space for in your house.  You can create an elaborate filing system if you like.  You can create a system for filtering all the incoming mail, throwing out some of it without opening it, filing some of it, replying to some of it, and so on.  You can use all sorts of fancy pens to write messages.  You can make copies of your mail for safekeeping.  And if you move to a different country (in other words, switch ISPs), you can take all of your mail with you (if you terminate your Comcast account, any mail still sitting on the mail server the day after your account expires gets dumped).

There are other important differences between CW and EC for which there is no real SM analogy.  For example, virtually every EC has an option whereby you can leave a copy of each message on the mail server.  This is like having the letter carrier deliver your mail, but leave copies at the post office, something that's not possible in the real world.  Another example: as some of you have discovered, when you click on a "mailto" link on a webpage, or when you try to mail a document from within Word or Excel, the program involved wants to use your default EC.  Since CW isn't an EC, it can't be your default.  In snail mail terms, this would be like sitting at home, writing a letter, putting it in your mail slot, and then waiting forever for the letter carrier, who never comes.

In sum, if you're confused about the differences between CW and an EC, just remember that using CW is like driving to the post office, and that using an EC is like having a letter carrier bring the mail to your house.  There are some situations in which CW is a handy tool.  But if you've got the choice, any EC is a better tool for managing your email.  Having a letter carrier is almost always better than relying on General Delivery.  

Credit to CHarvey for explaining the differences between Webmail & an Email Client

CC

Email Expert
Latoque

[ Edited ]

One thing I forgot Marlene-------I don't know about the other clients, but Thunderbird has a nice feature-----when you set it up it will go out on the internet and find the correct settings for the mail servers of any of the larger ISP's and mail account providers for you.  It's really slick, and you don't have to go hunting for the settings yourself.  Comcast uses POP3 settings for incoming mail, and the standard SMTP setting for outgoing mail.  Just make sure that whatever client you decide on, to uncheck the little box that tells it to delete emails after you download them.

Email Expert
CCCarole

FYI-

We also have the correct settings for configuring most email clients in a sticky at the top of the Email Forum page. LINK  We recently submitted an updated version of these to Comcast as well.  They should replace the exisiting ones soon - And they include the latest settings for Thunderbird as well as Outlook 2010.

CC

Contributor

Thank you all -

I am in the middle of a large project  & other time/energy drains - but I will check out the Thunderbird option & uncheck the little box so I can have my cake & eat it, too ... um have my email & save it too.

Marlene

Silver Problem Solver
BruceW

Marlene41 wrote: ... I will check out the Thunderbird option & uncheck the little box ...

Actually, in Thunderbird it's the other way around. If you want the program to copy the messages it downloads instead of removing them, you need to check a box that says "Leave messages on server".