Contributor

setting up iPhone email

I can't get me iPhone-to-comcast email connection to work. It must be a comcast-iPhone/AT&T problem, because I've ruled out other possibilities

1. I've checked all the settings (user name, password, incoming and outgoing server addresses) and they seem to be correct

2. I have verfied that my 2 non-comcast email accounts work just fine on the iPhone. It's not the iPhone.

3. My Treo/Verizon email connection worked as recently as yesterday (when I bought my iPhone and cancelled the treo). It may not be just comcast.

Official Employee
charvey

Re: setting up iPhone email

It sounds like you are trying to get the iPhone mail app to work? Why not use the new comcast app which is what this forum is focussed on?

If you still want to use the mail app, let me know and i'll move this thread to the email forum where it belongs.

Contributor

I don't want to messa round with non standard iPhone stuff, just get the bascis to work. If I am on the wrong forum, please redirect me. In my experience, Comcast is a maze with very few good answers.
Networking Expert
Baric

The settings are pretty simple:

POP server: mail.comcast.net, port 110, or port 995 with SSL for a secure connection.

SMTP server: smtp.comcast.net, port 587, password authentication required using your Comcast email id, SSL on or off is your choice but I would recommend on.

Maybe I'll put together a FAQ with screen shots...

Contributor

you didn't read what I wrote. I believe the settings are simple and I've set them all correctly. Despite that, I am not able to connect to the server. I have been able to do so with other email accounts. It's just the comast connection.

Given the significantly greater degree of difficulty I have had with my comcast account, I have little doubt that this is some undiscovered new glitch. But whenever this happens it seems like there's a black hole with no asnwers. I don't need another FAQ, I need help diagnosing and fixing the problem

ARGHHH

Networking Expert
Baric

I'm sorry you feel that way.  I did read your post and I believe the problems on most likely on your end and not with Comcast.  It's possible changing your password on Comcast.net would help, but the vast majority of problems are due to incorrect setup on the client side.  That said, I'll let someone else assist you.  I hope you get the problem corrected.
Official Employee
charvey

Try following these setup guidelines. If it doesn't work still, take the iPhone back to Apple. We have seen one other report of the phone not working correctly and Apple replaced it.

Contributor
Contributor

I am having the exact same issues.  Non-Comcast accounts fine.  I can get email no problem on 110.  Never been able to send one out.  I get "Sender address invalid".  I just spent over an hour with two chat analysts and was told to use the mobile app.  I don't want to switch either.  I have a pretty good size inbox in iphone Mail and several in Outbox waiting to go their merry way.  I would have to redo all that.

I have tried 110/587 and I have tried 995/465 (the travel settings).  I have tried with SSL off and SSL on.  I tried 110/25 also because I didn't realize I should be on 587.  I don't know what to do next.  I'm pretty sure this is a Comcast thing.  I was hoping there was a discussion or support link with the answer already set up.

I'm at a loss.  There just aren't that many settings to change in iphone Mail. 

Could you explain more about what would issues would prompt exchanging the phone?  I've already worked a month to get my phone how I like it...apps, contacts, arrangement of screens, etc.  I am really hesitant to ask for an exchange without being able to tell them more.

Good luck to you, soon80.

Contributor
Contributor

By the way, look how many times these Posts have been viewed.  I don't think it is just me and soon80.  I think most people are just giving up for now...like I am going to do right now.  It's 2:30 AM and my troubleshooting abilities (which I do professionally, by the way) are in need of refueling.

Thanks in advance to anyone who finds the answer!

Networking Expert
Baric

We have no idea.  All we know is exactly one user could not get it working and they exchanged their phone and the new one worked.  No further explanation.  But lots of others do it and it works fine, including mine. The instructions posted previously are correct.  

"Sender address invalid" means the email address is invalid, that's not a config issue unless it's the from or reply to address.  

I use smtp.comcast.net on port 587 with password authentication and SSL on.  Port 465 works just fine as well.  Port 25 works here, but will not on some cable modems due to a port 25 block applied by Comcast, so you should stay away from 25.  Personally, I think 587 is the the best choice, its the way the Internet as a whole is going and it's been the acknowledged standard for more than a few years.

The exact same settings work on the cell network as well as via wireless at home. 

Bronze Problem Solver

smj wrote:

I am having the exact same issues.  Non-Comcast accounts fine.  I can get email no problem on 110.  Never been able to send one out.  I get "Sender address invalid".  I just spent over an hour with two chat analysts and was told to use the mobile app.  I don't want to switch either.  I have a pretty good size inbox in iphone Mail and several in Outbox waiting to go their merry way.  I would have to redo all that.

I have tried 110/587 and I have tried 995/465 (the travel settings).  I have tried with SSL off and SSL on.  I tried 110/25 also because I didn't realize I should be on 587.  I don't know what to do next. 

Have you enabled authentication? That's required on ports 587 and 465. Although it's not intuitive, I think the "Sender address invalid" error indicates that you haven't enabled authentication. When your email client tries to convey the sender address to the server with the Mail command before authenticating, the Comcast server responds thusly:

mail from:<me@comcast.net>
550 5.1.0 Authentication required 

Your email client then interprets that error as being caused by an invalid sender address. I think Comcast is issuing the wrong error code there, which is causing the confusion with the error interpretation, but the bottom line is that you need to enable authentication.

Contributor
Contributor

Thanks.  I'll try that.  I thought the error was strange.  I've had Comcast support do a Health Check and everything is working okay on my account. I've deleted and retyped all user info as well.  Thank you for reading my lengthy post and responding.

New Visitor

It's not just you guys. I'm haveing the same problem. I just switched from AT&T for my ISP over the weekend so I setup my new email acounts up on my iPhone. They seem to work fine yesterday but today my iPhone can not find the mail.comcast.net server. I tried all the same port changes you mention to no avail. Something is going on here....
Web Page Expert
BethKatz

I've been using my iPhone with Comcast mail for several months to fetch email for two accounts in addition to mail from other servers. It does work.

Be sure that the incoming host name is mail.comcast.net, use SSL with password authentication, and server port 995. Outgoing use smtp.comcast.net. Leave messages on the server to be safe.

Edit to note that this message (thank you, Baric) has a picture of the desired settings which look like:

Official Employee
charvey

jij44 wrote:
It's not just you guys. I'm haveing the same problem. I just switched from AT&T for my ISP over the weekend so I setup my new email acounts up on my iPhone. They seem to work fine yesterday but today my iPhone can not find the mail.comcast.net server. I tried all the same port changes you mention to no avail. Something is going on here....

Are you in a different location today? Perhaps using a wifi service instead of 3g or perhaps Edge? 

The reason this is important is that it's not the app or the servers that are the root of your issue, it's that whatever you are connected to isn't resolving dns entries correctly. So, whatever connection method you are using, try switching to something else and then try again.

Bronze Problem Solver

charvey wrote:

jij44 wrote:

Are you in a different location today? Perhaps using a wifi service instead of 3g or perhaps Edge? 

The reason this is important is that it's not the app or the servers that are the root of your issue, it's that whatever you are connected to isn't resolving dns entries correctly. So, whatever connection method you are using, try switching to something else and then try again.

Caveat: I don't know anything about the iPhone, but, being curious, I did a little Googleing.

Along the lines of what Chris was saying: if the iPhone is configured to use the DNS servers of ISP A, but is hooked up via ISP B, it's likely that DNS won't work. It's likely that the DNS servers for ISP A will only answer queries from inside of ISP A's network. Resetting the network settings and/or rebooting the iPhone might fix that.

Also, there's an iPhone DNS bug documented here that might be relevant. It crops up when a host name points to a CNAME rather than an IP address, and the Comcast mailservers have CNAMEs.

Web Page Expert
BethKatz

I suppose I was just lucky that I had no trouble grabbing my Comcast mail on my iPhone when I was in Europe (carefully and not for very long because it was expensive) using whatever phone service or WiFi that was available.

Are you trying to connect over WiFi or AT&T? You said you switched "from AT&T for my ISP".

New Visitor

I have an issue with my iPhone email that is slightly different from above.  I've been using the email function since I first bought my iPhone (around a year I guess) and have been very happy/satisfied with it's functionality.

The issue I have is that since the Wednesday before Thanksgiving I've been unable to receive new e-mail on my iPhone.  Going onto a computer and via Smartzone I know that I have new e-mails but they are not being pushed to my iPhone.  I had NOT touched the settings at all on the phone prior to the issue appearing so I didn't mess anything up that way.  I've also reset my account on the phone with similar results.  This also happens with multiple e-mail accounts.  Also, I have not "gone" anywhere lately (i.e. the phone has essentially been in my house since Wednesday so I don't think the access has changed).  The issue happens both when I'm connected to my wireless and when I go 3G.

Any help would be appreciated :smileyhappy:

Email Expert

Just to be sure we understand, you're using the Apple Mail app on the iPhone, not the Comcast app, right? Have you tried the Comcast app?
Email Expert

Never mind, I see that you posted the same problem in another thread, which specifically said it's the Mail app. Let's keep the discussion there, it's confusing to address a problem in two threads.