Contributor

windows live mail will not send!!!

The connection to the server has failed.

Subject 'test'
Server: 'smtp.comcast.net'
Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC0E
Protocol: SMTP
Port: 25
Secure(SSL): No
Socket Error: 10013

Email Expert
CCCarole

Re: windows live mail will not send!!!

Bill8 wrote:

Subject 'test'
Port: 25
Secure(SSL): No
Socket Error: 10013

Most likely Port 25 has been blocked.  Please review all the settings contained in this clickable link for Windows Live mail and change your SMTP port.  You can print out the post by clicking on Options on the right side of the post, and choosing Print.

Clickable link

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.

Contributor

no clue what you're talking about. there is no "tools" on my Windows Live Mail!

This is clearly a Comcast issue, since I cannot send on two different computers!

Email Expert
JR071702

Bill8 wrote:

no clue what you're talking about. there is no "tools" on my Windows Live Mail!

This is clearly a Comcast issue, since I cannot send on two different computers!

Go to the bottom of that post that Carole posted the line to.   There is a document on setting up Windows Live Mail.

It is not necessarily a Comcast issue if you have Windows Live Mail on both computers and both are set to use Port 25.

JR

Contributor

I CLICKED THE LINK. I'm telling you, there is no "tools" to click on on my Windows Live Mail!

Email Expert
JR071702

Bill8 wrote:

I CLICKED THE LINK. I'm telling you, there is no "tools" to click on on my Windows Live Mail!

If the program's menu bar is not visible, hold down the Altkey and press the letter T, then release both keys.

JR

Contributor

really?!@? All 'alt T' gives me is a ding sound! Anyway, I have tried both portsetting that the link told me to, STILL DOES NOT SEND!

Contributor

dunno what to tell you. clearly, here is an issue!!

Contributor

so.... now what???

Contributor

worked fine as of 4/5/11. Beginning on 4/6, I was not at home for 5 weeks, due to surgery. has not worked since I came back home. I CHECKED THE SETTINGS!!!  NOW WHAT!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Silver Problem Solver
reasd

Hello,

Windows Mail, Windows Live Mail, Outlook Express & Outlook 2000:

1. choose Tools
  2. choose Accounts
  3. go to the Mail tab
  4. click on your Comcast account to highlight it
  5. choose Properties
  6. go to the General tab
  7. under Mail Account, enter whatever you'd like to call this account, like John Doe on Comcast
  8. under User Information, enter Name (whatever you want to appear on your messages)
  9. enter E-mail address (your full Comcast email address)
  10. check "Include this account when receiving mail or synchronizing"
  11. go to the Servers tab
  12. "My incoming mail server is a" POP3 "server"
  13. Incoming mail is mail.comcast.net
  14. Outgoing mail is smtp.comcast.net
  15. enter your Account name or Email user name (your Comcast user ID, the part before "@comcast.net" in your email address)
  16. enter your Password
  17. check "Remember password"
  18. make sure “Logon using Secure Password Authentication (SPA)” is NOT checked
  19. check “My server requires authentication”
  20. choose Settings
  21. choose “Use same settings as my incoming mail server”
  22. click OK
  23. go to the Advanced tab
  24. check both boxes for “This server requires a secure connection (SSL)”
  25. change port number to 995 for incoming, 587 or 465 for outgoing
  26. bump up the Server Timeouts slider to the high end

Note:  With Windows Live Mail - Leave the box ticked which says, "clear text authentication"

Turn off whatever email scanning your anti-virus package is doing. Comcast already scans incoming email for viruses, and your outgoing email isn’t going to be infected unless your machine is already infected, so there’s no point checking it all the time.

Email Expert
CCCarole

[ Edited ]

Which version of Windows Live Mail do you have? (2008/2009/2011?) Click on Help, then 'About' to see which version if you don't know.

If you have have 2011- Click on Accounts. then on Properties, then on the Advanced tab.

Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)

Contributor

I FOUND the settings, changed them as instructed. NOW it won't connect to the server AT ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have other things to do. FIX IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

btw, my WLM is 2011

Contributor

"Unable to send or receive messages for the Comcast (bkawalec) account. A time-out occurred while communicating with the server.

Server: 'mail.comcast.net'
Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC19
Protocol: POP3
Port: 995
Secure(SSL): No"

Networking Expert
Baric

[ Edited ]

You have it set up wrong, when using port 995 for incoming messages, you must turn SSL on.

Might I also recommend you stop with the useless demands that we fix it?  We are customers, just like you, so we can do nothing except point you in the proper direction, which we have done.  And even if you did get a Comcast moderator here, the problem is with your configuration and setup, it has nothing to do with Comcast's email servers.

Contributor

well, I don't know whato tell you, since, as I said, I wasn't here to change the configurations since the time when it was working. No one else used this computer either.

Sorry for being confused by the 'email expert' designation.Thanks for trying.

Contributor

btw, the way to get to 'properties' in WLM 2011 is to find the name of the mail account you want in the column on the far left side of the screen, and right click on it. 'Properties' appears at the bottom of the drop down menu, and that's where you change ports, etc.

Networking Expert
Baric

That is one way of doing, however, the instructions that were posted previously are also correct, as this image (captured from my own system) indicates:

windows-live-mail-main.png

Good luck.

Contributor

"tools" does not appear on my screen in WLM 2011.

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

Tools doesn't appear anywhere on my WLM either.

Since you can't get in through the front door, you will have to go in through a window.

The window is using the procedure Bill listed above.

FWIW, I don't use WLM. I just opened it to see if Tools was listed in mine.

(eM Client is what I use. It's better than WLM and is the closest thing I could find to Outlook Express)

Comcast employees must be authorized to post in the forum in an official capacity. Employees posting here have their names in red and are designated as employees. Names not in red are customers.

This is done to protect customers and for assurance that they are dealing with a Comcast employee.
Non-Authorized Employees are allowed to post but cannot state they are employees nor can they allude to being employees.

Email Expert
CCCarole

WLM 2011 has a difference interface then the previous versions of WLM.  After the OP posted he is using WLM 2011, I thought what I posted was the correct way to get into Properties.

CC

Networking Expert
Baric

It is one correct way, Carole and by default, the menu bar shows unless the user hides it.  For those with missing menu bars, just click on the Menus button and select Show menu bar.  If you can't see the Menus button, simply press Alt-M to pop it up.  Even if the menu bar is not dispalying, the keyboard shortcut Alt-T brings up the Tools menu as JR posted.

Here's what the Menus button looks like:

wlm-menus.png

Email Expert
CCCarole

Thank you Baric- I don't have the menu bar hidden, and I do see Tools, with the drop down to Accounts & Options,etc.. :smileywink:

CC

Contributor

I tried "alt T," and, as I said before, all that did for me was make a 'ding' sound.

Contributor

Baric, your 2011 screen is different from mine

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

What is everyone's version number of WLM? Mine is

Version 2011 (Build 15.4.3508.1109)

I do use it sometimes for my msn mail, but my other client is reserved for Comcast mail.

Nowhere in WLM do I see tools. I don't see anything about Menu. I've gone all over WLM and see no way to add Tools to the menu.

Using alt T does nothing except put numbers and letters as shown below:

alt t.gif

Comcast employees must be authorized to post in the forum in an official capacity. Employees posting here have their names in red and are designated as employees. Names not in red are customers.

This is done to protect customers and for assurance that they are dealing with a Comcast employee.
Non-Authorized Employees are allowed to post but cannot state they are employees nor can they allude to being employees.

Email Expert
CCCarole

[ Edited ]

Evie, Looking at your screen shot for 2011- Can you click on that  Accounts tab in 2011?  If you can, does that show you Properties in the drop down?

I am not using that version- I have 2009- Which are the directions in the Customer Generated sticky.  However, I googled WLM 2011, and that is what I saw.  I will look for that screen shot ( from 2011) and post back.

CC

Networking Expert
Baric

[ Edited ]

Interesting.  I downloaded WLM 2011 and installed it, but what I got was Version 2009 (Build 14.0.8117.0416).  I just assumed the new one looked like the old one since I see no change.  Let me do some poking around to see if I can get the real 2011 installed and running.

UPDATE:  OK, it looks like I re-downloaded the 2009 version.  You have to be very careful when searching for Windows Live Mail, the 2009 version is still linked in a lots of places, including the Microsoft Download Center, so unless you know what to look for you might just get 2009 instead of 2011, and the menu interface in 2011 is very different from 2009, although most of the rest of the app looks pretty much the same.

To get Windows Live Mail 2011, you can go to this link.

So, as to ways to get the account Properties dialog, they are:

1. Right click the account in the left hand pane and select Properties as previosly mentioned.  This also works in WLM 2009, so has the advantage not needing multiple explanations.  It looks like this:

wlm2011-account-context-menu.png

2. Select the Account or one of its folders on the left and then select the Accounts tab, then press the Properties button.  Looks like this:

wlm2011-accounts-tab.png

3. Just to the left of the Home tab is a dropdown Windows Live Mail menu.  On this menu select Options then Email accounts... and up comes a dialog with your defiend accounts. Select an account and press the Properties button.  It looks like this:

wlm2011-menu-options.png

wlm2011-accounts.png

All of these methods (and there may be others) bring up an account's Properties dialog, whose Advanced tab should look like this:

wlm2011-advanced-properties.png

One thing I would like to point out here is the SMTP server is ABOVE the POP3 server, which is backwards from how other MS email clients have done it in the past, like Outlook Express, Outlook, etc. No idea why they swapped it.

Hope this helps clear up the confusion.

Email Expert
CCCarole

[ Edited ]

Here is a link to some information about showing or hiding the 'Ribbon' in WLM 2011

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/130258-windows-live-mail-2011-hide-show-ribbon-toolbar.html

A screen shot I found: Note: Clicking on Email- Accounts brings this window up-And shows the Properties button right below the word Folders.

CC

wl2011accounts.gif

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

[ Edited ]

I had already gotten to properties by clicking on account, in addition to right clicking the account name to get to properties.

Unfortunately, showing or  hiding the ribbon has no effect on having Tools appear at the top.

As I stated, I don't use it very much. One reason I keep is to look at when people ask questions about WLM.  It's slow to load/open, slow to download mail, and there is no way that I have found to add or delete commands from the ribbon.

WIth the ribbon:

msn 1.gif

Without the ribbon:

msn 2.gif

Regular Contributor

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, I love you so so so much.

I haven't been able to send out mail on windows live since I have had this computer.  About 1 1/2 yrs.

I flollowed your instructions and while I was on the phone with my daughter I sent something and SHE GOT IT.  I was so excited.  It finally works.

You are very smart and the best.

Thanks so much.

Bev

New Visitor
2004hiihopes

Thank you! You RoCk :smileyhappy: These steps worked for my issue and I can send emails again :smileylaugh:

Contributor

Hi

I have been trying to change my ports and I have followed all the steps exactly.  I can neither send or receive e-mails.  I have Windows Live Mail 2011 and I have used the secure ports 465 and 995 checking the boxes.  I have all the other settings correct as I am just trying to change my current account in the Properties box.  I get the message box with all the particulars and that it fails to connect with the server.

I have been reading various similar problems and suggestions but nothing is working for me.  I turned off the e-mail virus checker and still get the same problem.  I have Comcast supplied Norton.  Could there be a firewall problem?  Do I need to set this account up from scratch?

I have also tried using 110 and 587 (unchecked) that Comcast suggests as alternate.  Since they won't support 25 going forward have to figure this out if I want to continue with WLM.

Just thought I would see if any other suggestions before going directly to Comcast.  Thanks.

Email Expert
CCCarole

Elle1313 wrote:

Hi

I have been trying to change my ports and I have followed all the steps exactly.  I can neither send or receive e-mails.  I have Windows Live Mail 2011 and I have used the secure ports 465 and 995 checking the boxes.  I have all the other settings correct as I am just trying to change my current account in the Properties box.  I get the message box with all the particulars and that it fails to connect with the server.

I have been reading various similar problems and suggestions but nothing is working for me.  I turned off the e-mail virus checker and still get the same problem.  I have Comcast supplied Norton.  Could there be a firewall problem?  Do I need to set this account up from scratch?

I have also tried using 110 and 587 (unchecked) that Comcast suggests as alternate.  Since they won't support 25 going forward have to figure this out if I want to continue with WLM.

Just thought I would see if any other suggestions before going directly to Comcast.  Thanks.

Post the complete error message you are getting.  Do you have ' my server requires authentication' checked for SMTP?  And do you havevSSL on for POP and SMTP ports?

Contributor

Yes I have the authentication box checked and the SSL boxes.  Here is the message for trying to send an e-mail:

Subject 'test'
Port: 465
Secure(SSL): Yes
Socket Error: 10060

Here is the message for send/receive:

Unable to send or receive messages for the mail account. The connection to the server has failed.

Thanks for your help.

Bronze Problem Solver

Elle1313 wrote:

Yes I have the authentication box checked and the SSL boxes.  Here is the message for trying to send an e-mail:

Subject 'test'
Port: 465

Here is the message for send/receive:

Unable to send or receive messages for the mail account. The connection to the server has failed.

Thanks for your help.

That's not about your settings, it's about some sort of connectivity problem, or something. First thought is that an AV program is acting up. Or, those errors are consistent with a firewall getting in the way. They're also consistent with DNS strangeness. Open a command window and enter:

nslookup mail.comcast.net

What do you see?

Contributor

Thanks.  The cmd response is:

Server:  cdns01.comcast.net

Address:  75.75.75.75

Non-authoritative answer:

Name:  mail.comcast.net

Addresses: 2001:558:fe2d:70::33

2001:558:fe14:70::33

When I set the ports back to the old (default) settings I can send and receive.

Bronze Problem Solver

Elle1313 wrote:

Thanks.  The cmd response is:

Server:  cdns01.comcast.net

Address:  75.75.75.75

Non-authoritative answer:

Name:  mail.comcast.net

Addresses: 2001:558:fe2d:70::33

2001:558:fe14:70::33

When I set the ports back to the old (default) settings I can send and receive.

Hmm. I've read about some problems with the Comcast mail servers and IPv6 (2001:558:fe14:70::33 is an IPv6 address). Why the port would matter is a total stumper to me, but the Comcast servers having problems with IPv6 addresses is also a stumper. I'd guess it's more of a Windows problem. Your error is different, but I'd still try turning off IPv6 in your networking settings and seeing how that goes. I'm not optimistic, but on the other hand I wouldn't be at all surprised if doing that sorted things out. And it won't cost you anything, IPv4 will be working just fine for quite a while yet.

Contributor

Thanks for you efforts.  I will see what happens.  If it doesn't work I'll keep researching and post here what happened.  I just love it when these providers make these 'easy' changes..  

I appreciate your help.

New Visitor
jrflyboy

This worked perfectly.  Thanks!

New Visitor

Kudos to the this post...after 4 unsucessful calls for technical assistance to Comcast, and 1 to Microsoft, your post saved my day...I can send mail again. Many thanks to you!!!

New Visitor
homerisgreat

Thank you, reasd, for the solution!  Yesterday, everything was fine, today, I couldn't send.  Your instructons worked! I can send again.  I would like to know why things changed in one day, though.

Contributor

HI

Just thought I would get back on this.  I had the old port 25 working for awhile but suddenly couldn't send email.  So after much research if became evident to me that it was a problem with my gateway.  I have a Motorola Surfboard SBG 900.  I had to go to the firewall settings and use custom setting to set the ports in a range that would work.  The preset port was only 25.  After setting it to 400 - 600, I was able to use the 465 secure port option and my email sent perfectly from Windows Live Mail 2012.

Hope this might be helpful to anyone else with problems that could be gateway settings.  The answer turned out to be so simple but you have to understand the equipment and software first and narrow down the problem.  Thanks again.

New Visitor
jhnlr40

out port is now 465

port  in   995

try theses settings every one thats haveing prob.........

New Visitor
jhnlr40

out port live mail 465

in port 995

try this for live mail

for comcast

Visitor

my windows live mail is not connected to the internet

New Visitor
wenglish23

I have set the ports to 465 and 995 multiple times. I send one email and then get a message that mail cannot be sent. I check the account settings and the outgoing port has reverted to 25 and the requires authentication boxes are unchecked! When I change the ports I always click on Apply and then OK. Any ideas on how to keep the changes?

Email Expert
CCCarole

[ Edited ]

wenglish23 wrote:

I have set the ports to 465 and 995 multiple times. I send one email and then get a message that mail cannot be sent. I check the account settings and the outgoing port has reverted to 25 and the requires authentication boxes are unchecked! When I change the ports I always click on Apply and then OK. Any ideas on how to keep the changes?

Sounds silly, but- try first turning on SSL, then change the port.

Do you have This server requires authentication ON

SPA (Secure Password Authentication) OFF?

New Visitor
wenglish23

I have checked "This server requires Authtication"

I am using "Log on using clear...

New Visitor
FutureQ

I recently started having a problem sending email. I called CC help and was told the ports needed to be changed to 465/995 respectively. The thing is I already did this months ago when Comcast sent out a warning to change them for security purposes. When I looked to see what they were outgoing was 25 again and incoming was 110, the defaults I am supposing. I changed them back to the new settings and my lost in net-limbo email I had tried to send finally got sent.

However, the next time I opened WLM 2001 I had the same problem again and port 25 outgoing was back as the default setting!! WLM appears to have an issue of late where it will not permanently save settings made in advanced properties. I reset them close the program open and my effort is undone.

Does anyone have a clue what is happening? Oh this reminds me I cannot change my passwords and expect them to be remembered either. I am stuck using old passwords or re-changing them in WLM to match the respective email server/provider, i.e., Comcast, Gmail, Hotmail, etc., every time I reopen WLM. It's a real pain in my backside I wish would get fixed. I use WLM because it saves emails in a readable form on my hard drive for future reference even if WLM no longer exists. In that case they can be read as text files at least. Other email clients I have used have placed them all in one or several files all mashed together and barely readable.