Regular Contributor
18joyln

wont stay logged in to Comcast

Every time I walk away from my computer, Comcast is loging me out, even though I aks it to  keep me logged in.  What is suddenly causing this problem?

Contributor

Re: wont stay logged in to Comcast

I'm having the same issue and wish an expert would respond!

Email Expert
CCCarole

How long a period of time are you both away from your PC while signed in?

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.

Regular Contributor
18joyln

The top of this post says : Your session has expired. Please log in to see .... bla bla bla. I am really tired of all the problems I have had with their entire mess.

Email Expert
CCCarole

[ Edited ]

How long were you signed in tho?  From what I recall, after a certain amount of time the session will expire if there isn't any activity.  That is a security feature.  Please post the enire error message you are receiving too.

Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)

Regular Contributor
18joyln

All I do is leave the mail page and it logs me out, now. That happens in Internet Explorer. I have recently had Windows 7 installed by a computer tech. I have been having mail proboems with Comcast for weeks. Some times my mail arrives 2 days after it was sent. I get a different answer everytime , from Comcast on the phone. That seems to be pointless.

Contributor

I use Xfinity connect, lite version.  Google Chrome and sometimes IE.  Vista OS.  I click on the box saying to keep me logged in but it no longer works.  It worked just fine up until a few days ago.  I had Xfinity email set-up to open when broweser launched now that doesn't work either.  I have to constantly sign in. Nothing has changed on my computer; assume this is an Xfinity issue?  This is totally annoying.

Email Expert
CCCarole

18joyln wrote:

All I do is leave the mail page and it logs me out, now. That happens in Internet Explorer. I have recently had Windows 7 installed by a computer tech. I have been having mail proboems with Comcast for weeks. Some times my mail arrives 2 days after it was sent. I get a different answer everytime , from Comcast on the phone. That seems to be pointless.

Do you have it set to leave you signed in?  If you clear your cookies when exiting your browser that will remove the sign in feature because it is a Comcast cookie.  Are you using XfinityConnect for youir email, or do you also use an email client?

Regular Contributor
18joyln

I am waiting for an answer from you all at Comcast. If not, I will call. If the issue is not easily resolved on the phone, given all the issues with the digital voice set up, I will probably cancel my account with Comcast.

Email Expert
CCCarole

Curly wrote:

I use Xfinity connect, lite version.  Google Chrome and sometimes IE.  Vista OS.  I click on the box saying to keep me logged in but it no longer works.  It worked just fine up until a few days ago.  I had Xfinity email set-up to open when broweser launched now that doesn't work either.  I have to constantly sign in. Nothing has changed on my computer; assume this is an Xfinity issue?  This is totally annoying.

Curly,

IF you have your browser(s) set up to delete cookies when closing your browser, that will remove the comcast cookie that controls the 'Leave me signed in feature'.

I'm not sure what you mean where you say you had Xfinity set up to open when browser is launched?  Do you mean that you have XfinityConnect sewt up in your browser settings as your home[page?  Eve if you did, you would still need to sign in at some point.

Contributor
CraigJS

Same as everyone else, log on every time today to check my email, I check keep connected each time. Mins. or hours it doesn't matter. Royal pain in rump. Started today Fri. the 29th. I'm an old customer 10+ years, but I've about had it.. Not first problem, just the latest.

Email Expert
CCCarole

The Administrator has been notified of all posts.

Contributor

No, I do not have it set-up to delete cookies when I exit, and yes, I had Xfinity Connect set-up as my home page.  I DID NOT have to sign in each time.  Problem started recently.  One of the messages I get when I click on email is

Bad Request

Your browser sent a request that this server could not understand. Size of a request header field exceeds server limit.

Contributor

Frustrating, isn't it . . . we've been customers forever but makes you want to switch.

Silver Problem Solver
andyross

I suddenly have been having issues where Comcast will not reliably keep me logged in. I have a shortcut to the mail (I use Thunderbird, but like to use Xfinity connect to preview and get rid of spam.) Normally, it takes me to that mail preview page. Suddenly, it takes me to the home page and I am not logged in. I can log in, then go to mail. But, if I try that link again, especially if I close my browser first, then it starts all over again.

Even odder, if I set a link to http://xfinityconnect.mail.comcast.net/, it takes me to main page, and not the mail page, even though I am logged in.

This just started happening Friday.

I am use Firefox, but see the same issue with IE9.

Regular Contributor

Ditto - same thing started for me yesterday.  Have the email page as my home page, but it redirects me to the comcast.net home page, where I have to sign in each time, even tho I click the "keep me signed in" button.  Hope this is fixed soon, as it's a pain.  Firefox and Windows 7.

Regular Visitor

Same thing for me today. Old shortcut/bookmark link  to email sign in page (and every other short cut I have tried to establish today) eventually brings me back to the odious Comcast Home Page, sometimes signed in, other times not signed-in. This is a huge change, and nothing in my Safari preferences has been changed. This is enormously frustrating -- is it a deliberate attempt to direct the eyes of the client to that awful "home page" ? At the very least, it is a waste of time.

d

Regular Contributor
18joyln

Maybe Comcast is trying to punish us for having a shortcut to bypass their horrid ads, that take forever to load and sometimes even freeze the page?  They have been screwing up my computer for months, now.

Are you listening Comcast? I am thinking of going  back to something else. Your mail sucks!  My son, a professional computer tech support, says it is stupid to use Comcast mai and he only uses Gmail.

Email Expert
CCCarole

You certainly don't have to use XfinityConnect for email if you don't want to.  Switch to an email client.  Free ones include Thunderbird, Gmail, Hotmail, Windows Live Mail, Outlook (IF you have MS Office suite)

If you travel out of town for business, you can read your email,etc. using the www.m.comcast.net/m email program as well.  Your son gave you good advice until Comcast gets all these issues fixed.

Regular Contributor
18joyln

Thanks, I know. it is just difficult to switch my entire business mailing list over to Gmail. Gmail isn't perfect, either.

Regular Visitor

Well, yes, I do have a Mac email client as well, but checking email remotely (mostly at work) for me is via the work computer as I don't have a smart phone.

Switching email address for some of us is so much of a hassle that it is not an option. 

Does "until we get these problems fixed" mean that, in the future, the ability to access mail without going through the home page will be restored ? 

Silver Problem Solver
andyross

[ Edited ]

I use the on-line mail mainly for previewing for SPAM so I can teach Comcast's filters and keep them from hitting my computer.

Basically, if I try to use:

http://sz0091.ev.mail.comcast.net/zimbra/mail?app=mail#1

it takes me to the home page, and I have been logged out. It SHOULD go directly to the inbox, but it had only gone to the mail preview page for a long time.

If I try to use the preview link:

http://xfinityconnect.mail.comcast.net/

it takes me to the home page, but I am still logged in.

Oddly, the above will sometimes work AFTER I have going through the login as long as I don't close the browswer. Once I close the browswer, it starts all over again. It's like there is some form of memory-only cookie?

Also, the Comcast home page I see is still the old-style one, and not the nasty new one people have been complaining about.

Contributor
erikw

I'm having the same problem and I believe it started Friday for me as well. Using Firefox on two separate computers with my email as my homepage and every time I open the browser I have to sign in. I check the "stay signed in" box and close and reopen the browser and I have to sign in again. Tried deleting all history and cookies but it didn't help.

Email Expert
CCCarole

If you delete all cookies when closing your browser, you will remove the Comcast cookie that handles the Remember Me feature. The issue has been reported to the Administrator.

Contributor
erikw

Yes, obviously, but when I sign in again it should generate a new cookie and apparently it's not doing that or the cookie isn't saving the settings correctly or something. After clearing the history and cookies and restarting the browser I sign in again and check the "stay signed in" box and close/reopen the browser again it still doesn't stay signed in. I can stay signed in to google calendar and other sites that have a similar sign in system, Comcast is the only one that won't stay signed in.

Again, this is on two totally separate computers. Everyone else here reports the same problem starting at the same time with various browsers, operating systems, computers, etc. so I can't imagine it's anything other than a comcast problem and not something wrong with all of our computers.

Regular Contributor
18joyln

Wherever you live, whatever computer you use, with whatever sytem, it is always YOUR problem, not the fault of Comcast!

Visitor
ltg123

This is a Comcast issue.  It's NOT the fault of the people complaining here, this is TOO coincidental to be a user issue.  Notice we're all complaining just these last couple of days?   Geez, with all this aggravation, you'd think we were complaining about an insurance company.

It happens to me no matter what browser I use, and it's been going on for a few days now.  VERY VERY unprofessional.  Makes me want to lose the Comcast email and just use gmail or something else entirely.   

Fix this, please?   

BTW, I don't appreciate being told that the word "c*rp" is a "bad word."  More unprofessionalism.

New Visitor
Zanzlanz

Yep I'm having the same problem.

Only a few days ago it was working without a problem.

It is probably some website maintenance failure or something.

Every time I close out, it forgets that I'm logged in, even though I always check the "Keep me signed in" checkbox and my browser will never erase cookies.

I hope it gets fixed soon.  Even though I don't need to retype my password every time I log in, it's still annoying not to see my e-mails automatically.

Ooh these forums have cat smiley faces!  :catsad:

Recognized Contributor

It's pretty obvious that this new problem is Comcast's attempt to keep us from going directly to the Comcast mail page and avoid the juvenile oriented content and advertising on the Comcast home page. 

I use another home page because it only contains content for grownups and I can modify the page layout.

Contributor
erikw

I hope that's not the case because that would be totally unacceptable. Hopefully it's just a bug that they will fix soon.

I just verified this problem on my Mac at work and it's doing the same thing basically, although on a Mac if you just close the browser window as opposed to quitting Firefox it will stay signed in, so it's not as much of an issue. In Windows, closing all open browser windows quits Firefox, so it's the same problem, just a difference in the operating systems.

Official Employee
cc_xc

Hello 

How long is your computer inactive before Comcast email is signing you out? 

Please send me a private message with the email address that is having the issue and I can take a look.

To send a private message, click on "cc_xc" then "send this user a private message".

Regards,

cc_xc

Regular Contributor

cc_xc, is there some reason you're only replying to the OP, as there are many of us including myself, with the same issue that seems to have started at the same time?  I don't use the Forums much, but I'm assuming you're replying on behalf of Comcast?

Regular Contributor
18joyln

It is signed out immediatly if I leave the page. it started last Friday. I am NOT the only one having this problem.

New Visitor

same problem for past few days:  I have to re-sign in EVERYTIME I want to check Email

New Visitor
janice_koller

my comcast accout logs me off too

Recognized Contributor

Response to ERICW

Actually, some time ago Comcast changed their web mail so that you HAD to go through the Comcast homepage.  Later somebody discovered a workaround and for quite some time we've been able to go directly to mail although we were stuck with first going to the mail homepage instead of directly to the inbox directory.

So yes, EricW, Comcast does want to force us to look at the Comcast homepage which, incidentally, no longer allows any personal tailoring to exclude the trivial junk suitable only for Facebook addicts.  The underlying problem is that the Comcast coders don't do adequate testing of changes so lots of new bugs are introduced into production which results in the breaking of items that previously worked.  Forcing us to look at the homepage was probably intentional.  Not staying logged in, however, is likely the result of sloppy coding and testing. 

Contributor

FYI to Administrator, I'm another long-time user who suddenly started having this same problem a couple of days ago. No settings have been adjusted on my end. What did you change on your end? I also use Firefox.

Contributor
erikw

Hey Hat Man, I did notice that it tends to go to the home page instead of email and I HATE that. The ads are really annoying, especially since we're PAYING for their internet/email service and we're still bombarded with ads, even in the actual email inbox! At least they added the arrow to close that ad side panel but then it just opens again every time you go back to the inbox. Makes Hulk want to SMASH!

Regular Contributor
18joyln

I don't use Firefox. One computer has WindosXP, one has Windows 7. Facebook doesn't log me out, they are free and have less annoyingg ads than the Comcast i pay for! Why does Comcast has to be so obnxious? 3 days, now, you guys. You better fix this. Before I leave for Italy for two months with a slow, unpredicatble, wireless connection, if this isn't fixed, I am out of here- the entire bundle is a pain in the nether end.

Contributor

Come on Comcast - so far there are 39 complaints in this string, customers with the same problems.  Please get this issue resolved or you'll be losing business, including mine.  It takes too big of a bite out of our budgets as it is.

New Visitor
hate-ccast

Same here -- it used to let me stay logged in for days when I checked the box keep me signed in, now it logs me out if I walk away to make lunch.  What's up?  The stay signed in box worked OK last week, now it doesn't work.  Aaargh!!

Visitor

Same exact situation here. I also believe comcast wants us to see the funny little stories, a wedding cake that falls over, click here to see what happened!  

I do not care. I will never click on it.

I just want to check my email, it worked great for years, on Friday it would not keep me signed in, and it is still broke.

Comcast, please do not ask what browser I use, and so on, as others have mentioned, it is a Comcast issue. Note, I read and tried all the things here, delete cookies, etc. Nothing works.

And when anyone asks me how I like comcast, I give them honest answer, I hate the ads, get those ads off my email page,

This is crazy, as though no one has electric power, the whole town out, and the power company asking what kind of light bulb you have.

Regular Contributor
angerybird

I phoned comcast with the same problem and they refused to fix it unless it is escalated to a higher level of service that costs $70 to enroll and $20/month or somesuch. What a slimy company!!!!!!!

Regular Visitor

Same problem here, and it started at the same time as everyone else just a few days ago.  It's more than just an annoyance, though.  I lost an entire e-mail that I had drafted because the system logged me out (with absolutely no warning) while I was in the middle of writing the message.  When I clicked on "send," I was instead logged out of e-mail and returned to the login screen.  The message was lost - not saved as a draft or anything.  This is both frustrating and pretty inexcusable programming/testing practice.  The e-mail software should not allow any failure mode that results in the loss of a message in progress without warning.  I'm glad it was a relatively short message that could be rewritten in a few minutes, but I think I will have to consider switching everything over to gmail if this doesn't get resolved soon.

Email Expert
CCCarole

Check your settings for composing by clicking on Preferences>Composing. Make sure that the box is checked to save drafts when composing. Comcast is aware of the Sing On not working correctly, but so far no fixes that we know of. CC

Contributor

Same problem..plus,clicking email brings me back to comcast homepage...I wrote comcast and told them I'm withholding a dollar a day from my payment till they fix it..we're up to $7.00 so far...

Regular Visitor

"Check your settings for composing by clicking on Preferences>Composing. Make sure that the box is checked to save drafts when composing. Comcast is aware of the Sing On not working correctly, but so far no fixes that we know of. CC"

Thanks for the advice!  This setting was indeed turned on. I don't know how often it saves drafts, but apparently not often enough to catch this relatively short message.  

This particular bug in the software goes back for years because it has happened from time to time in the past.  It becomes a much more serious problem, however, if the system is constantly logging out automatically with no warning even in the middle of composing sessions.  I know it's a little tricky to program stateless Web apps so they recognize these kinds of situations, but it still seems like "must have" functionality for an e-mail app.

New Visitor

I cannot stay signed in to Comcast/xfinity (whatever it's name is now) either. This has started happening within the last few days, even though I click "stay signed in". 

It is getting old. I kept thinking I was getting hacked until I see others having the same problem.

Visitor

I'm having exactly the same problem and the online Help "chat" person could not give me helpful information to resolve the issue

Contributor
sjaybee

I'll add my name to the list of people with the same problem. A few days ago I saw an actual news article on the Comcast home page telling about the new Comcast tool bar that will log you in to email with one click. Is any one using this and does it work in spite of this problem? I understand the toolbar is a problem for Explorer 8 so I didn't download it.

Do you think this could be a ploy to get everyone to use the toolbar? How hard could it be to fix? You go to the part of the program that responds to "Keep me signed in" and fix it like it used to be.