New Visitor
drsmithdr

web page doesn't stay signed in any more

clicking the box "stay signed in" when getting email on the Xfinity web site used to keep me signed in for a period of time after closing the page.  Now I have to enter username and password every time I go to check my email.

Silver Problem Solver
reasd

Re: web page doesn't stay signed in any more

Hello,

If you have some previous post before you would have found out that there is a problem that comcast is aware of. As of now we dont know when a fix is.

Contributor

Re: Staying signed in on INfinity Email.

me too

Contributor

Re: wont stay logged in to Comcast

I am not skilled at using this format but this is what worked for me.  I went to my internet options under the tool menu and deleted and redid addresses for my home page.  I did this by signing in and then copying the address and placing it in the home format.  Good Luck it has been a pain maybe you can pass this on

Contributor

I would have fired anyone who couldn't fix this deliberate aggravation by this time.  Who are they using to (ahem) "fix" this problem?  Maybe they should try the computer class of another grammar school.  This ain't cool, you money grubbing rascals at comcast.

New Visitor

I am sick and tired of having to sign in constantly to check email. The "keep me signed" in option does not work and hasn't worked for over 3 weeks.

I am ready to go with gmail.

Bronze Star Contributor
cwayneu

[ Edited ]

I agree Festus2, this is unexcusable. I would have issued an ultimatum weeks ago. Get this resolved or get out... The IT staff may be a bunch of smart people, but obviously are not skilled in computer science and problem solving. And their management obviously does not understand the importance of customer service, and rewarding highly skilled technical people. I found no system issue in my 34 year career that could not be identified, and a fix put in place, that took over two weeks. 99% were resolved in less than two days. This is rediculus and some people there really need a wakeup call.

Recognized Contributor

cwayneu

Amen!  But based on all the other bugs continually being reported in the email system, the missing functionality and the repeated faulty implementations, I don't think a wakeup call will solve the issues.  A top to bottom staff replacement starting with management would probably be more effective.

New Visitor
FedUp1000000

Well, I've now been on HOLD for almost an hour waiting to complain about this same problem!!!  If I were the Electric Power Board, I would immediately launch a new advertising program.  I'll be available for a TV commercial interview if you need me, EPB.  THIS SITUATION NEEDS TO BE INVESTIGATED BY THE APPROPRIATE GOVERNMENTAL AUTHORITIES.

Regular Contributor

It is worse than ever!!!!!!!!!!!   Now multiple windows on every sig in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Comcast, I don't give a F%%$##^& if you own NBC, Plaxo, etc...   I will use every connection in my power to reduce suhbscribers.  This is SO inexcusable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Regular Contributor
MamaB8385

Everything that used to work doesn't anymore, at all. I am also now having to sign in again multiple times each day. Today is the 30 day "anniversary" of this problem of not being able to stay signed in despite clicking to indicate you wish to do so. :smileysad:

Bronze Star Contributor
cwayneu

They must have one of the worst customer service records in the history of customer service. And notice that no one from the official Comast support team would actually show their ID's on this thread and admit that "Yes, we acknowdge this problem and do not know how to fixi it.". Only sweet Carole comes here and tries to volunteer help as best she can, and often takes her own abuse for doing so. While the Comcast team must be hiding in some basement.

Regular Contributor
angerybird

It's clear to me that Comcast has no interest in solving the issue. They want their subscribers to see the garbage on the home page. Notice that there are not many complaints in this forum. 99.9% of subscribers don't care. This will never be fixed.

Contributor

I suspect there are many others having the same problem that don't know about this forum.  I didn't.  Until I got so frustrated that I looked up the problem on Google, I didn't know there was a forum.  Many people probably feel as frustrated as we do but don't know what to do about it.  I called Comcast in the beginning and talked to a rep who had no idea what I was talking about but assured me anyway that this was a new policy.  They are mostly robots, all touting the "party" line. 

Regular Contributor

jac999 wrote:

I called Comcast in the beginning and talked to a rep who had no idea what I was talking about but assured me anyway that this was a new policy.  They are mostly robots, all touting the "party" line. 

I have suspected this might be deliberate and a ham handed way to try to either coerce users to look at the comcast.net home page several times a day and/or a way to boost page view stats they can show to advertisers.

If this is the new policy, then they should...

1. Remove the "Keep me signed in" option on the login page.

2. Have someone from Comcast post the official policy on this forum thread. It is the decent thing to do and the right thing to do.

3. Apologize for not giving prior notification of the change.

If this is a bug they should have at least officially ackowledged it by now.

Either way, Comcast's behavior is not good.

I do not know what is going on with Comcast, but changes seem to be occuring without prior notfication, including on Cable TV.  And getting Comcast reps to admit the changes have been made and that they are deliberate -- or that they have a bug if that is the case -- is like pulling teeth. Communications with customers about issues is getting worse and the need to contact Comcast is increasing, that is if you want to know what is going on. On DVR related bugs I have given up on them.

Recognized Contributor

Tried to respond to a Plaxo email and got this response.   Dontchajustloveit?

This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification.      

Delivery to the following recipients is still underway after 25.8 hour(s):

* helpme@plaxo.com

Will keep trying and contact you if the message can't be delivered permanently.

Visitor
cladius

I've had enough!  Just switched everything to Gmail.  Will delete comcast email after I make sure everything works.  Gmail even has https (if comcast has this option, I never figured it out).  It was a pain switching everything, but the hassle of having to login each times makes it worth my time.  Enough, comcast!!

Contributor

Everyone I know that has Comcast, uses the web mail client and that typically stays logged in is experiencing the same change in log-out behavior. No one is happy about this; certainly I am not. I contacted customer support and spent a half-hour of my life that I will never get back to have the support operator basically tell me that she didn't understand what I was complaining about.

This is just the latest in a series of actions on the part of Comcast that are not in the best interest of customers, and is the last straw as far as my patronage of Comcast is concerned. Comcast's senior management seems to think that they have grown to a point that no single customer matters, and thus they really don't need my $200 per month.

Regular Visitor

I also get the feeling that this issue is driven by advertisement revenue.  It is fairly clear that Comcast is not actively trying to address the problem.  If this issue continues I will be forced to pull all my Comcast email accounts into Gmail.

Regular Contributor
MamaB8385

I stumbled on this and it might help (or not).  You send an email to we_can_help@comcast.com which I understand goes to the corporate offices of Comcast.  Then in the cc lines put the following addresses as well: william_gerth@comcast.com , robert_sacunas@comcast.com , mike_decandido@comcast.com , rick_germano@comcast.com , brian_roberts@comcast.com .  Be specific about this one problem to not water it down (not being able to stay logged in to email), and mention that the forums have a lot of content regarding very dissatisfied customers with this particular issue.  Worth a try maybe?

Bronze Star Contributor
cwayneu

Thanks MamB8385. Will try it.

What sucks even more than being logged out over and over again, is being logged out while I'm reading an email, or worse, being logged out while in the middle of composing a new email. I just want to choke the Comcast systems support group and their management.

In contrast, I don't recall ever being logged out of this forum randomly. Maybe they should just move the email services to this server.

Wayne

Contributor
woody614

I too am disgusted.  Today I tried to take a shot at talking to Comcast.  As others of you have also said, they took no responsibility and they said the problem must be with my operating system or with my browser. 

Contributor

[ Edited ]

Ok, I've been lurking on this forum for a month hoping that Comcast would resolve this problem.  It is now time to add my name to the ever growing list of dissatisfied users.  If there are others out there "lurking" like I was, it is time for you to post so Comcast will wake up and see there are many users who are not happy.

Regular Contributor
angerybird

You are correct. Comcast has no interest in solving this issue. And why should they? The bottom line is that they are making more money with their advertising on the home page than losing a few thousand users who are disgusted with their tactics. Too few people know or care about this issue.

Regular Contributor
18joyln

Now, I am in Italy, and not only have I switched to gmail because of this problem, I have not been able to get into my  Comcast voice  to see my phone messages for a week because they say it is "temporarily unavailable". Att has just connected my phone line, today, and tomorrow their DSL package will arrive to have my son connect. And then, it is Bye bye Comcast. Good riddance. I owe them money. let them try and get it from me...

Contributor
woody614

Hi MamaB-

I took your advice and sent the email as you suggested.  Unfortunately, I immediately got an error message that the email was aborted as to 3 (but not all) of the addressees:  Sacunas, Decandido and Germano.  Here is what I wrote to them:

Dear Comcast Team-

I was given each of your email addresses and encouraged to send you this message in regard to some serious dissatisfaction with Comcast's email service that has been going on for about 6 weeks and still continuing unresolved, and which has negatively impacted me and literally hundreds of your other customers, if not more.

Until this past June, your email system did a very effective job of keeping the user connected from one session to the next, provided that we click on the "Keep me connected" box at the initial logging in.  However, this suddenly stopped being the case in June and ever since.  Now, even upon clicking the box, we never remain connected from one email session to the next.  And in fact, most infuriatingly, we find ourselves disconnected from the email system even within the same session.  I have never experienced this with any other email service provider and at this point, I can no longer be considered a satisifed Comcast customer.

I have tried to go through the usual channel of requesting help from Comcast.    Your people have always been friendly and polite, but entirely ineffective at providing a solution.  I've been given a "solution" which accomplished nothing at all, I've had the problem mischaracterized as an entirely different issue, I've been promised return phone calls which I never received, and then just yesterday I got a call from one of your non-technical personnel who proceeded to tell me that the problem was most likely with my browser or my operating system, not with Comcast.

Turning to the customer forums, in the absence of any effective help from Comcast, I was shocked to find pages and pages of comments from other Comcast customers, experiencing the identical problem that I have, within the exact same time-frame.....literally hundreds of other customers, with surely many others who lurk around the forums but do not bother to recount their own identical experiences.  This issue is HUGE and is giving rise to tremendous dissatisfaction with Comcast.  Many of the entries are by customers stating that they are so fed up that they feel they have no choice but to drop Comcast entirely.

The prevailing view in the customer forum is that this problem has been deliberately caused by Comcast, that you benefit with advertisers by being able to show a much higher frequency of customers accessing the pages containing advertising which we all must go through in order to re-connect to the system, time after time after time.  This theory sounds quite plausible to me, especially in light of 6 weeks of Comcast's inability to deal with the issue properly.  It would not seem to be a very complicated problem to fix -- this is not a problem that I have encountered with any other service provider, and it hadn't even been a Comcast problem at all until last June.

If the theory is correct, Comcast surely benefits more financially from the boost in advertising revenue than the loss of revenue from those of your customers who choose to drop you as a result of this.  But for a company that prides itself on guaranteed superior customer service, this would seem to be majorly inconsistent.  In these days of blogs and forums and the like, bad news can travel like wildfire (and in fact, that has already begun), and your good reputation is at stake.  I ask you all to please prove the cynical customers wrong and fix this problem right away, which I have no doubt is entirely within the capabilities of your tech personnel, and return us to the good service we experienced up until June.  In the alternative, if there is no fix provided by Comcast right away, then I'm sure it will just add to the customers' distrust and dissatisfaction.  You will lose a significant number of customers and you risk taking quite a hit to your company reputation if the issue should continue to be raised in blogs and forums.  So I ask that you please help us with this now and put an end to this.  Thank you.

Contributor

Great response!  Do you mind if others copy it and send it out too?  Maybe that will get some attention.

Contributor
woody614

PLEASE......have at it!  If there's a chance of it doing any good, I'd love for you and anyone else to use it.  Thanks!

Contributor

This is what I did and it is better.  I cleared my cookies and then went to tool>internet options>Homepage>cleared all sign on address and redid them >went to bottom of options screen >ok>close browser>open browser go to email sign on and be sure to do the keep me signed in.  This seems to be working most of the time, however now and then I find myself signed out and I have not figured out what I am doing to cause that to happen.

Contributor

This is what I did and it is better.  I cleared my cookies and then went to tool>internet options>Homepage>cleared all sign on address and redid them >went to bottom of options screen >ok>close browser>open browser go to email sign on and be sure to do the keep me signed in.  This seems to be working most of the time, however now and then I find myself signed out and I have not figured out what I am doing to cause that to happen

Regular Contributor

maidado wrote:

This is what I did and it is better.  I cleared my cookies and then went to tool>internet options>Homepage>cleared all sign on address and redid them >went to bottom of options screen >ok>close browser>open browser go to email sign on and be sure to do the keep me signed in.  This seems to be working most of the time, however now and then I find myself signed out and I have not figured out what I am doing to cause that to happen.

That's because none of what you are doing has anything to do with the problem.

I have tried all of this and more and it does not "fix" the problem.

Since before this started happening I have not done a browser update or an OS update (XP and Win 7).

Clearly Comcast has changed something.

Contributor
woody614

Same here, mnllnm -- Comcast tried to tell me that the problem is due to my browser or my OS but I haven't had an update of either of those during the time that this connection issue became a problem.  They just want to blame the problem on anything other than themselves.

New Visitor
plotjeep

My xfinity email wont keep me signed in. I am on cocast   . Windows xp

Bronze Star Contributor
cwayneu

I took MamB's advise and emailed the home office yesterday. Like Woody, 3 of the addressees failed, but the rest must have gone through. I received a phone call today from the home office. They were apologetic for the problems, and said it was related to some cookie issue they are trying to resolve. It was not totally reassuring, but at least we now know corporate management is aware and will hopefully put pressure on systems support to get this fixed. Yea...

Regular Contributor

cwayneu wrote:

I took MamB's advise and emailed the home office yesterday. Like Woody, 3 of the addressees failed, but the rest must have gone through. I received a phone call today from the home office. They were apologetic for the problems, and said it was related to some cookie issue they are trying to resolve. It was not totally reassuring, but at least we now know corporate management is aware and will hopefully put pressure on systems support to get this fixed. Yea...

Thanks for the info.

So the home office and corporate management know all about it but no one in Customer Support knows anything at all about it? LOL.

How can that happen? What a way to run a company.

Of course, if they can plausibly deny there is a problem or pretend there is no problem no one is burdened with the troublesome task of estimating when it might be fixed, if ever.

Contributor

Do what I did and it worked for me...Clear all your cookies and history by going to tools>internet options> then after that is done, clear your home page sign in on that same page and reenter the sites you want to come up at sign on one of them being http://xfinity.comcast.net/ then sign on from your infinity screen to your email and be sure to check stay signed in.  That worked for me most of the time.  I am still doing something that signs me out occasionally but it has been great

Contributor

WEll it is working for me

Bronze Star Contributor

"Do what I did and it worked for me...Clear all your cookies and history by going to tools>internet options> then after that is done, clear your home page sign in on that same page and reenter the sites you want to come up at sign on one of them being http://xfinity.comcast.net/ then sign on from your infinity screen to your email and be sure to check stay signed in.  That worked for me most of the time.  I am still doing something that signs me out occasionally but it has been great"

Nice job on the possible fix. I did what was suggested and have been able to stay singed in 6 times so far. Foe me the difference might be that under tools,internet options the home page didnt have Infinity in the title. as does the lick provided in above post. It just can Comcast.net  Hey at this point I will take any help even if only for a few days... TY TY again

Contributor
woody614

Folks, as a result of my email  to the addressees that MamaB provided, I got a call from an IT technician.  He talked me through some changes and it seems to have solved the problem.   That was at mid-day today, and I've stayed connected all day ever since, including after some re-starts.  I don't want to be too confident until say a couple days have passed, but so far, so good.  The guy absolutely denied bthe theory here that this was a deliberateisasue caused by Comcast to getr us to visit adeveetising pages more frequently.  If his solution continues to work for me, I'll certainly take his word for it.

Basically, we went into Internet Options, Advanced tab, and we restored all the Internet Explorer settings to their default levels.  Seems to have done the trick for me, at least so far.

Regular Contributor

I use firefox, not Internet Explorer.

Deleting comcast.* cookies has done no good, other than maybe slightly delay the first disconnect after cookie deletetion.

In the past I have done major updates to firefox on two PCs with no email problems or issues.

There is nothing unusual or unique about how firefox is configured on my two PCs. I should not have to change anything.

At any rate, if there is a "fix" or workaround I am capable of 1) understanding what must be done and why and 2) making the changes on my own.

I do not need to be walked through anything or have my hand held while making the changes. In a past life I helped design, develop, and maintain an Internet based B-2-B customized catalog browsing and ordering system for a major office supply company.

So all I need is someone from Comcast to post here what the problam is and how to "fix" it or work around it.

I have no desire to spend (waste) an hour or two of my time on the phone with a tech to implement a temporary workaround for a problem Comcast has created.

Contributor

I copied the email that Woody614 sent to Comcast,and added my own opening paragraph.  That was yesterday and today I received two calls from Comcast.  One was a voice message and a waste of time because it left a phone number to call that put me through to the normal comcast number, although it did provide a case number. I was not about to spend time explaining the situation to a low level employee again.

The other call was from a woman named Katie who said she was aware of the problem and had gotten other emails.  She is escalating the problem to tier two. She did seem to be aware of the forum and I suggested that someone from Comcast address the problem on the forum.  She said that she would mention it to the higher ups. I guess we'll see what happens from there. 

Regular Contributor
angerybird

After almost 300 messages it is clear to me that Comcast has no intention to fix this bug (feature). The only fix is to have mail forwarded.

Regular Contributor
Anon1435345

#18Joyln -- Try having email issues for months. It seems Comcast has a new log out cookie as I am now having the log out issue as well. I leave the comcast mail window open and I STILL get logged out.

Another thing that is driving me crazy is when I click the mail link a new tab opens instead of in the same tab as before. I have given up on Comcast. It is apparent that they can care less about their customers now. They have enough business and a near "monopoly" that they can now do as they please without consequence.

Regular Contributor

Anon1435345 wrote:

I leave the comcast mail window open and I STILL get logged out.

Another thing that is driving me crazy is when I click the mail link a new tab opens instead of in the same tab as before.

Likewise.

I always keep the comcast mail window open, for days and weeks at a time. I do not restart my browsers and PCs unless I must. Now almost invariably when I come back from standby, sleep, or hibernate that tab is displaying comcast.net.

And sometimes I even end up with two new tabs. Sometimes clicking on the mail link opens up another comcast.net tab. Clicking the mail link on that one opens up an email login tab.

Then I have to close the two comcast.net tabs. Imagine how many comcast.net tabs I would have after a couple of days if I did not keep closing them.

Contributor
bsims34

Just got my comcast bill and they raised their rates.  So now I have constant email log outs, multiple tabs opening this utterly foolish xfinity branded nonsense (I cringe whenever I see the word "xfinity") and I get to pay more for it all!

I loathe comcast.

Regular Contributor
Anon1435345

#

bsims34New Visitor   --  Welcome to the "I hate Comcast club". I just read a report on the top 500 companies customer service reviews. Comcast came in at 285 out of 500. That is really bad.
Official Employee
hongkwon

Hey folks - really sorry that you're all having issues with login. We're trying to track it down to a few different possible sources. A few questions:

- is anyone seeing this problem with Google Chrome? I've noticed people reporting issues with XP and FF. I saw one poster who said that they didn't see the issue with XP and Chrome. While I'm not suggesting that you all go and change to Chrome, if you already have Chrome on your computer, if you could try it and let me know if you have a different experience that would be helpful.

- for the Firefox users, are you guys on the latest Firefox (go to the menu item "About Firefox" and see if it says "FF 14")?

- last question - I've seen people report that the problem seems to occur when they close all windows, or if they somehow lose network connection (e.g. like if they put their computer to sleep). Anyone seeing this set of symptoms: log in with "remember me checked" and leave that window open, and then later in the day you are logged out (without having closed the window)?

H

Contributor

hongkwon wrote:

Hey folks - really sorry that you're all having issues with login. We're trying to track it down to a few different possible sources. A few questions:

- is anyone seeing this problem with Google Chrome? I've noticed people reporting issues with XP and FF. I saw one poster who said that they didn't see the issue with XP and Chrome. While I'm not suggesting that you all go and change to Chrome, if you already have Chrome on your computer, if you could try it and let me know if you have a different experience that would be helpful.

- for the Firefox users, are you guys on the latest Firefox (go to the menu item "About Firefox" and see if it says "FF 14")?

- last question - I've seen people report that the problem seems to occur when they close all windows, or if they somehow lose network connection (e.g. like if they put their computer to sleep). Anyone seeing this set of symptoms: log in with "remember me checked" and leave that window open, and then later in the day you are logged out (without having closed the window)?

H

Chrome? Yes, it happens with Chrome on several different Windows variations, across several different networks.

FireFox version 14? 3, 5, 12 and 14. On Windows and Linux...

Connection loss? No, this happens after a certain period of time and is (for me) totally independant of connectivity (I use a QOS monitor at home) and operating state of the OS. I have, since this problem/feature first appeared, been able to stay logged in "through" wake-ups, but can't stay logged in for more than about eight (8) hours.

Regular Contributor
Anon1435345

hongkwon --  I have already mentioned this. I do leave my window open after logging in. I get signed out after a few hours automatically. For me, this coinsided with the email link opening in a new tab instead of the same tab as it used to do.

Official Employee
hongkwon

Thanks for the replies - working this issue. I'll keep all posted. If anyone has any more useful testcases to add please reply all.