Contributor
Accepted Solution

Cable Modem

I have a very old WCG200, modem router combination that I bought about 6 years ago.  Several weeks ago I noticed that the internet was not working as well as it had; slow page loading, time outs, etc.  I did some reading on forums and found that I should get a new docsis 3 modem.

I just purchased a motorola SB6121 at Amazon for about $80.  When it comes, Can I just install it easity attaching the cable to it and the ethernet to a wan port on my new router or is more difficult.  Do I have to call comcast and give them the new mac address? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Recognized Contributor

Re: Cable Modem

That is pretty much it.  Just call Comcast and tell them your new MAC code on the modem.  It should be on the box and on the Modem.  If your phone service is tied to your internet (Vonage, or Comcast phone service for example) you will need to call on a cell phone.

Contributor

Thanks for the quick response.  I have always been impressed by the technicians whenever, and it is not often, I had to call 1-800-comcast.

Can you answer my first questions about the internet problems we have been having?  My wife and I each have our own computers so there are 2 and we are both experiencing the same issues.  From my reading, I assume the problem will be resolved by upgrading to the docsis 3 modem as noted above.

Thanks again.

Networking Expert
Baric

That all depends on what is causing the problem.  The WCG200 is VERY old and definitely needs upgrading, but if you have a signal issue as well acerbating the problem, the new modem will not fix that.  But since you need the modem, I say go ahead and get it installed and working, THEN if you still have problems, describe them fully, post the signal levels from http://192.168.100.1, post your speedtest results from http://speedtest.comcast.net and any other pertinent information.

Contributor

OK, thanks.

It should arrive on Monday so I'll install it and post the results you suggest later.

Contributor

Just to complete this issue:

The new cable modem, Motorola SB 6121, came yesterday.  I installed directly to my computer and called 1-800-comcast.  They asked for the serial number and MAC address from the box and after about 5 minutes, everything worked.  I then moved the cable from my computer to the wan port on my router, set the router to clone the mac address from my computer and all computers in my home network were able to connect.  No really issues and the speed is much better. I know it has only been one day but there have been no slow downs or timeouts and pages seem to pop up much faster.

I think my problem is solved and I thank you for the help.

Connection Expert
EG

wlopatin wrote:
set the router to clone the mac address from my computer

FWIW, this step is uneccessary. The modem just needs to be properly powercycled/reset each and every time that the device which is being directly connected to it is changed.

Contributor

Does it make any real difference?  Should I change it or just leave it alone?

Everything seems to be working so well now.

Connection Expert
EG

You can just leave it.

Contributor

Thank you.

I hope this information helps others as well.