New Visitor

Comcast Cable Modem have a wireless access point?

I read recently that some cable modems have an internal wireless access point. Does anyone know if the cale modems provided by attbi/comcast have such a beast? Would save me some change as I'd only have to purchase a card for my laptop.

Thanks!

e.
Regular Contributor

Re: Comcast Cable Modem have a wireless access point?

I have not heard this about cable modems, but there maybe. One moment let me research this for you
Regular Contributor

Yes they do.

http://broadband.motorola.com/noflash/sbg1000.html

Interesting to see how this will work out.
Regular Contributor

Too bad the Motorola, netgear and other Wireless calbel modems only use 802.11B and not the current G standard
Most Valued Poster
Zathros

> Interesting to see how this will work out.

yea. I'm not fond of combo products tho. Too often one piece dies, then you're stuck.

And worse... cable modem + WAP in a single box. Who manages and monitors that? Comcast? They can't even be trusted to keep their current infrastructure working! I don't want their fingers in my home.

- Dan.
- Dan.
  EARTH FIRST! We'll strip-mine the other planets later.
Networking Expert
Baric

I agree, don;t like combo products either unless that's really something extra to be gained.
Networking Expert
Baric

Another reason to go with seperates.
New Visitor

John,
It doesn't matter that the wireless standard is 'only' 802.11b. This standard supports up to 11 Mbits/second - Your broadband connection to the Internet is only (nominally)1.5 Mbits/sec, maybe up to 3 Mbits/sec in some places.

In other words: The bandwidth that Comcast gives you will always be the bottleneck.
Regular Contributor

well...technically...that's not correct...the upload speed is the bottleneck...downstream can be up to IIRC ~150megs down (assuming lab like conditions) with a max up of ~1meg stable before there are tons of resends due to error corrections/out of order packet reception at the far end etc...but nod..the cable modem is indeed a bottleneck for transmitting...and 11G isnt the standard..B is the standard to WiFi, G is an alternative that is expected to be supported to take over the WiFi standard...
New Visitor

No they do not...
New Visitor

I am a Comcast tech. We are in the process of introducing home networking which we are providing a Comcast branded Lynksis wireless modem/gateway as part of the installation. The cost start for networking install starts at 199 dollars. If you prefer to purchase your own Toshiba and now Motorola sell combo modem and gateways. The Motorola I saw at Circuit City for 279 Dollars both I believe is the B standard. Hope this helps. Comcast is introducing a lot of new features. Stay tuned
Networking Expert
Baric

Bah. A customer can do this themselves for under $100 and still not have to pay a monthly fee. Comcast should be ashamed of themselves for this new "service".
Most Valued Poster

Not only is there an additional monthly fee, there is a rental fee for the hardware, and there is an additional install fee for added PC's. And what's more there is no value added for the monthly fee. Unlike the previous incarnation of "home networking", there are no additional IPs included for this monthly fee.

As for new features, I'd prefer they get all the old ones working properly first.