Email Expert
CCCarole

HP Photosmart 7760 Problem

My printer suddenly will not work.  The 'On' light is off which normally shows green when I turn on my PC.

I have unplugged the power cord, replugged it back in.  I unplugged the USB cord to the PC & plugged it back in.  I moved the USB cable from where I have had it plugged into the PC for years, and plugged it into another USB 2.0 port.  Nothing.  Have done restarts after each of these as well.

I used the HP diagnostic program as well, which showed no connectivity.  I have this Notepad report from the diagnostic program but I do not understand it. I will have to paste it in a seprate post because it is too long to go into this post. 

If it is time for a new printer, can anyone recommend one to me?   And- finally, if it is time for a new printer- Would you recommend a wireless one?  What about an All-in-One?  Thanks in advance.  CC

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.

Email Expert
CCCarole

Re: HP Photosmart 7760 Problem

[ Edited ]

The HP Diagnostic Report is too large to post.  If needed, I could post it in sections, but it may require a number of subsequent posts to do so.  CC

Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

Carole, I had an HP printer that all of a sudden would not print. I tried everything you did. No joy.

One day I hit print, nothing happened. For some reason shortly after that, I had to restart my computer.

When I got back to my desktop, it started printing.

I would have to do this off and on in order to print. I've heard of others who have various HP printers and the same thing happens to them.

It's not an ideal way to print, but you can try a reboot to see what happens.

My HP printer died on me earlier this year. I replaced it with a Canon.

Comcast employees must be authorized to post in the forum in an official capacity. Employees posting here have their names in red and are designated as employees. Names not in red are customers.

This is done to protect customers and for assurance that they are dealing with a Comcast employee.
Non-Authorized Employees are allowed to post but cannot state they are employees nor can they allude to being employees.

Email Expert
CCCarole

Evie,

Thank you.  I have always had an HP printer... from the days when I had my very first PC, back in tthe 80's.  I have never had a problem of any kind with any of them, so am at a lose as to what could possible have happened for this one to stop working. I only replaced a printer when I upgraded to a new PC, and would sell, or give away my old PC & would include the printer. 

The printer is where it always is, I haven't moved it one inch- the electrical plug is behind my side desk, hard to even get to without moving the desk, so it isn't like it is even slightly unplugged to the outlet, or to the printer itself. 

I think I will send a PM to Baric & see what he thinks too. 

I thought today I would uninstall the printer, unplug the electrical and USB and start over to see if that would do anything.  Not knowing the mechanics of a printer, don't know if there is something in the hardware that may have 'died'?  It is about five years old, so I don't want to invest any real money in it.  Printers have gotten so much cheaper over the years too, thank goodness!  I can't be without a printer beyond today or tomorrow because of my billing work.  I must to be able to print out the claims I file.

I did start to do some researching for a replacement- mainly at the Best Buy website.  I have a brick and mortar store close by.  I also started to price some at newegg.com. 

Not sure if I should consider going with an all-in-one, a wireless, a wireless all-in-one? Opinions, pro and con on all-in-ones and/or wireless?  I do have a great Canon scanner that I purchased after EG recommended it. 

Don't ya just hate it when your PC/printer/Scanner,etc. doesn't work as it should?  Very frustrating, especially if you don't know a great deal about the hardware part off each.  (sigh)

Thanks again, Evie,

Carole

Regular Problem Solver
slouke

Carole,

My scanner just quit working a few days ago (power light never came on) and I checked the voltage at the end of the power wire and instead of 12VDC it was dead.  If you have a volt meter you can check the voltage at the end of the wire that plugs into the printer and see if the transformer that plugs into the wall is dead.  Please check to make sure that you set the voltmeter to the correct setting for the expected voltage (it will say on the transformer box that plugs into the power outlet).

If you don't feel comfortable doing that, take the power supply wire to Radio Shack or similar electronic store and have them test it for you.

I had to buy a new one for $25 but it saved the cost of a new scanner.

Just my $0.02

Email Expert
CCCarole

slouke,

Well, we don't have a voltage meter.  What is the transformer thingy you mention, please?  By chance, are you referring to that big rectangular black thingy that is close to the end of the electrical cord that plugs into the wall?  i tHINK that is what you mean.  IF it IS that, do I have to order a replacement from HP, or is there such a thing as a generic one I could get at Radio Shack, Best Buy,etc?  As you can tell, this is way over my head!    Thank you so very much for your help with this!

Carole

Email Expert
CCCarole

Update:

Slouke, you were definitely on the right track... but it may not be the transformer actually afterall.

My DH moved the side desk out where the printer and a desk lamp are plugged into the wall outlet.   He unplugged the lamp, plugged the printer into that outlet, and viola!  the printer came on. So- it appears that maybe we may know why it happened.... Thanks to Baric who also has helped with this.

Late last week our neighborhood had three- thirty second outages.

That may have caused the transformer to go out.  I had completely forgotten about it since I only had the PC on during one of the thirty second outages.

Now going with Baric's excellent advice too, we are going to see what happens if we plug it back into that outlet.  If that one side of the outlet is dead- It is time to have an electrician come out and check the wiring.  DH could replace the outlet, but since the circuit breaker wasn't tripped either- Better to be safe and have the electrician check further behind the outlet for loose wires, etc.  DH knows his limits of what he wants to fool around with, and electrical is not one that he feels that comfortable with.  So Slouke, I thank you again, so very much for your help, you got us on the right track to figuring this out!

Carole

Regular Problem Solver
slouke

[ Edited ]

That black rectangular thingy is the transformer.  It changes the power going to the printer from the wall outlet at 120 volts AC (alternating current) - unsafe - to something like 12 volts DC (direct current) - safe - that the printer uses internally.  If the green power light on the printer won't come on and the printer is dead, I always start troubleshooting the power supply/transformer first.

Unplug it from the wall and take it and the wire to an electronics store.  Radio Shack should be able to test it and tell you if it is bad or not.  They have lots of different replacement ones and the clerk should be able to select a replacement, if it is bad. If the Best Buy has a repair center in the store, they might be able to help test it, too.  I don't know if they have replacement transformers, though.

If the transformer is good, then its time to buy a new printer.  I hear the Kodak printers have the lowest cost of ink (which strongly affects to the total cost of ownership, since you will go through a lot of ink over the life of the printer - more $ than the original cost of the printer).

Edit:  As Emily Latella used to say: Never Mind!  You posted while I was typing...

Connection Expert
JamesR

yes you can probably take the Power cord / Transformer to radio shack and have it tested and / or replaced with a Generic version.

Or .........

Voltmeter 101

Voltmeters are cheap

Usually come as Volt/ohmeter combination units

Usually have a Digital Readout

Voltage raanges are selectable as AC or DC

AC is Alternating Current (househole power is usually around 115 volts AC

DC is Direct Current (batteries are usually 1.5 volts DC, 9 VDC or 12 VDC)

Usually come with two probes (Black for Negative and Red for Positive)

So you buy a Voltmeter and bring it home

Turn it on and select AC and a range high enough to accomodate 115 VAC

plug in the probes and test the walljack to see if you have somewhere around 1155 vac

then plug the power cord in to the wall socket and switch the Meter range to DC Volts with a rangehigh enough to accomodate the voltage marked on the Power Supply that is part of the power cord and use the probes to test the voltage available to power your printer (Red Probe in the hole and Black probe to the outside metal surface)

Be careful not to short the probes together whil making measurements.  It can be quite exciting.  Also don't let your fingers slip off the insulated part of the probes and down on to the tips while they are touching the voltage points

If you survive, come back and we will go over Resitance measurement 101 :smileyhappy: 

Regular Problem Solver
slouke

If you plug the printer into a different outlet and it works, then it's the outlet.  Plug a lamp into the suspect outlet and see if it works.  If not - time for an electrician.

Sorry I didn't mention plugging the printer into a different outlet, I always try a different outlet first even before I start troubleshooting the problem (slaps forehead).

I'm glad you don't need a new printer.  :smileygrin:

Email Expert
CCCarole

Slouke-You were right tho! I never would have thought that only one side of an outlet could go bad.  DH is going to plug the printer back into that side of the outlet to see if it is bad before we call in the electrician.  If it is up to me, I would go with the electrician in any case 'cause anything electrical scares me.  I will let you know the final outcome.

JMS- I believe DH is also going to pick up one of those votage testers as well.  Just by reading your post, I know I'm not going to touch it tho. Thank you for the information and instructions for using it.

I am relieved I don't have to purchase a new printer- Have been trying to save up for a new PC.

Thank you so very much for your help!  CC

Networking Expert
Baric

Radio Shack or Home Depot sells these really inexpensive outlet testers, usally two prongs with a little light in the middle.  You stick the prongs in the outlet and if the bulb lights, the outlet has live juice.

Connection Expert
JamesR

You're very welcome :smileyhappy:  When you get the volt/ohmeter come back and I will give you a run through on Testing wires for continuity and such as that.

Of course Slouke gave the best advice - Reseat the plug or move it to another jack.  Wish I'd said that:smileylaugh:

Email Expert
CCCarole

Baric wrote:

Radio Shack or Home Depot sells these really inexpensive outlet testers, usally two prongs with a little light in the middle.  You stick the prongs in the outlet and if the bulb lights, the outlet has live juice.

Baric and JMS- Thank you again.  JMS- You can be sure I'm not going to be the one to do the testing. CC :smileyplain:

Connection Expert
EG

[ Edited ]

slouke wrote:

That black rectangular thingy is the transformer.  It changes the power going to the printer from the wall outlet at 120 volts AC (alternating current) - unsafe - to something like 12 volts DC (direct current)

What ever it is worth here, which is probably not much, and just for the sake of clarity, a straight "transformer'' either steps up or steps down voltages, or just isolates the primary and the secondary sides but it does not convert A.C. into D.C. A rectifier needs to be used for that function. This is not to say that that plug in black box "thingy" does not have a built in rectifier along with the transformer, some of them may have one and some may not. I have found that some/many of them are indeed just straight transformers and that the rectifiers are built in to the main  device itself.

Regular Problem Solver

CCCarole.....

The outlet itself probably isn't bad.....we have several outlets in our house where the TOP socket is SWITCHED...and the BOTTOM socket is constant-on.....If you have a wall switch to control that light....that's how your outlet is wired....kinda weird......but it's normal, I guess....

Email Expert
CCCarole

dsanbo wrote:

CCCarole.....

The outlet itself probably isn't bad.....we have several outlets in our house where the TOP socket is SWITCHED...and the BOTTOM socket is constant-on.....If you have a wall switch to control that light....that's how your outlet is wired....kinda weird......but it's normal, I guess....

dsanbo,

You make a very valid observation.  Our new home is seven years old and when we first moved in I went crazy trying to figure out which outlet in different rooms were controlled by the wall switch.  Logic as to which one was controlled by the switch was definitely not used by the electrician that wired our home when it was built! In this particular room, the den, the wall switch controls the outlet on the opposite side of the room- and where I have my surge protector and telephone plugged in.  So the wall switch is always in the 'on' position.  There are four wall outlets in this room, and I have no clue why that particularr outlet was chosen.  DH says he will work on it today so I should know later today if we need an electrician or not.

Thank you for taking the time to post about this too.  Carole

Email Expert
CCCarole

Update:  DH plugged the printer back into the original side of the outlet it was in and the printer worked.  So I guess that means that the transformer reset?  BUT- now the printer cartridges seem to be sticking when they move to the far left side of the printer while printing.  DH replaced both cartrdiges while we were troubleshooting, but re-checked them and they seem to be seated normally in the cradle.  So- May have to end up with a new printer afterall.  No clue what to do about this now.  :smileysad: CC

Networking Expert
Baric

[ Edited ]

That's not uncommon, Carole, unfortunately.  Power blocks are more than just transformers these days, they have electronic circuitry that can require reset just like any other electronic device.  While I loved my old Apple PowerBook G4, the power block used to freeze up at least once a week.  I'd plug the cable into the laptop and it wouldn't charge, the light around the plug would remain off, it just looked dead.  The simple fix was to just unplug the block from wall outlet and plug it back in and it started working again.  I'm glad to say the charger on my current Macbook Pro does NOT do this.

I would highly recommend you plug your computer, monitor, printer, etc into a power strip with surge protection instead of directly into a wall outlet.  It can save you some real headaches.  It won't help with a power loss unless it's also a UPS, but it can save you from an expensive repair when the power comes back on and spikes your computer, frying your motherboard.

As for the printer head sticking, try the printer's head cleaning procedure.  The printer software should be able to do it, or consult the printer's manual for how to trigger it directly on the printer.

Email Expert
CCCarole

Baric wrote:

That's not uncommon, Carole, unfortunately.  Power blocks are more than just transformers these days, they have electronic circuitry that can require reset just like any other electronic device.  While I loved my old Apple PowerBook G4, the power block used to freeze up at least once a week.  I'd plug the cable into the laptop and it wouldn't charge, the light around the plug would remain off, it just looked dead.  The simple fix was to just unplug the block from wall outlet and plug it back in and it started working again.  I'm glad to say the charger on my current Macbook Pro does NOT do this.

I would highly recommend you plug your computer, monitor, printer, etc into a power strip with surge protection instead of directly into a wall outlet.  It can save you some real headaches.  It won't help with a power loss unless it's also a UPS, but it can save you from an expensive repair when the power comes back on and spikes your computer, frying your motherboard.

As for the printer head sticking, try the printer's head cleaning procedure.  The printer software should be able to do it, or consult the printer's manual for how to trigger it directly on the printer.

Baric,

I have a very expensive surge protector which my PC, modem, and router is connected to... Along with my keyboard & mouse.  I have a separate surge protector  which I have my scanner, photo dock, etc. plugged into.  OK- Will move the printer to that second surge protector since there is room on it (I think) 

I already cleaned the printer head & replaced both cartridges...

Last night I pulled up the HP manual and found information about the 'clutch' could be why the printer carriage could be getting stuck.  DH is going to work with that today to see if it fixes that problem.  It isn't happening ALL the time, but enough to be a problem.  Here is the link to the information: LINK

465i018F80B7CAD1EAEE

New Visitor
blakdiamondgreg

[ Edited ]

I think you may have either a broken cord or broken outlet.

try using a different printer cord and test the outlet to which the printer is plugged into with a voltage tester from home depot or wherever hardware store you go to. If nothing works get a canon printer. I would say get the canon MP830 because it's a reliable printer and hasn't failed on me.

Recognized Contributor

Another thing to check is whether you have a GFCI outlet that has tripped.  These are often daisy chained to other outlets, so a tripped GFCI circuit in a bathroom can affect outlets in other rooms.  Just locate all of the GFCI switches and press the test button, then press the reset button.

Email Expert
CCCarole

kentshaw wrote:

Another thing to check is whether you have a GFCI outlet that has tripped.  These are often daisy chained to other outlets, so a tripped GFCI circuit in a bathroom can affect outlets in other rooms.  Just locate all of the GFCI switches and press the test button, then press the reset button.

Thank you for the added information, I do appreciate it! As it turned out the problem was that the transformer needed to reset. No problems with that since.  However, it is just a matter of time before I will need to replace this printer anyway.  Cleaning the clutch,etc. helped, but once in awhile I still have the problem with the sticking issue.  This printer is about six years old now.  I am trying to hold off on replacing it because I would rather purchase a new PC before a new printer. :smileygrin:  Thanks again.  CC.