Regular Contributor
doreenr

HP ZD7000 fan won't stop running

I have a HP ZD 7000 laptop that was running hot.  I cleaned the fans that were really dirty and now the fans won't stop running.  Does anyone know what the problem is and how to fix it.    I'm running with Windows  XP Service Pack 3.  Thanks a lot for any help.

Networking Expert
Baric

Re: HP ZD7000 fan won't stop running

Open it up and clean out the insides throughly.  Just becasue the fans are clean doesn't mean it's not blocked further inside.  Is the laptop actually running hotter than usual or is the fan just running when it shouldn't?  If the former, a complete inside cleaning is the most likely solution.  If the latter, it might be a bad fan or stuck switch making the fan run all the time, so replace the fan.  Use a tool like CoreTemp or HWMonitor to report actual temperatures.

Regular Contributor
doreenr

I cleaned out the inside and the laptop is running cooler than it was.  The fan is running all the time so maybe the fan is bad or the switch is stuck.  If the switch is stuck is that something I can check myself before I buy a new fan?

Networking Expert
Baric

It would really depend on the model, I have don't have any special knowledge for that specific laptop.  Search on the Web, see if you find anything.  Otherwise yoru choices are live with, send it in for repair, or replace it.  I vote for a nice 15" MacBook Pro or maybe one of the ultralight MacBook Air's ;-)

Regular Contributor
doreenr

I think the Mac is a great idea but I need new golf clubs first.  Have to keep the priorities straight.  Thanks for the help.