Regular Contributor
Accepted Solution

Modem w/router and 2 ethernet ports

Can anyone recommend a modem w/a router and has two ethernet ports?

Bronze Problem Solver

Re: Modem w/router and 2 ethernet ports

GmCapeCod wrote:

Can anyone recommend a modem w/a router and has two ethernet ports?

I think many regulars here would recommend getting a separate modem and router rather than a combo unit for several reasons including: if one or the other fails it will be easier and less expensive to replace only the failed unit rather than both, if you experience connection problems it will be easier to troubleshoot separate units rather than the combo unit.

So my recommendation is don't get a combo device.

Regular Contributor

I had two separate devices at one time, the router was too slow to keep up with the modem which was why I ended up with a combination unit.  In any event, are there modems with two ethernet ports for home use?
Networking Expert
Baric

No.  You can buy certain combo gateways, which are modem and router in one unit which have 4 ethernet LAN ports like you find on most routers, but not bare cable modems (that I know of).  I would NOT recommend this at all.  Get seperates.  Any modern router is more than fast enough to keep up with your typical cable modem.  If performance is an issue for you, then get a fast router with gigabit interfaces, something like the Linksys WRT610N or RVS4000 or perahps the D-Link DGL-4500. 

Regular Contributor

Thank you every one for the excellent information. 
Contributor

I am not a tech guy, but I recently foundout that I have a seperate router connected to my modem. Its a Linksys EZXS55W.  Would anyone know if this router is recommended with a cable modem regarding speed.  I have the comcast high speed internet.

Networking Expert
Baric

[ Edited ]
The Linksys EZXS55W is not a router, it's a simple ethernet switch.  There is no router functionality in it at all.  As far as speed goes, it's supports 10/100 Mbps ethernet, so it's more than enough to handle the traffic coming or going through your cable modem, even with the new DOCSIS 3.0 speed tiers that are being rolled out.  In order to support more than one computer connected to your cable modem via this switch, you will need to purchase the use of extra IP addresses from Comcast.  A cheaper solution is to replace it with an actual router, like the Linksys WRT160N, etc.
Message Edited by Baric on 11-25-2008 02:52 PM
Connection Expert
EG

[ Edited ]

bughaters wrote:

I am not a tech guy, but I recently foundout that I have a seperate router connected to my modem. Its a Linksys EZXS55W.  Would anyone know if this router is recommended with a cable modem regarding speed.  I have the comcast high speed internet.

That's not a router, it's a switch. I take it that you are paying for additional IP addresses from Comcast ? Or is it connected to one of the LAN ports of a router ?

Regardless of that, it has 10/100 ports so speed will not be an issue.

Message Edited by EG on 11-25-2008 02:55 PM
Networking Expert
Baric

Is there an echo here?  :smileywink:
Connection Expert
EG

LOLLLL !!! We really really have to stop meeting like this Baric!!! :smileyblush: 

Contributor

Goes to show you EG how much I know about these devices.  Thanks a lot.  To answer your question the Linksys EZXS55W is connected directly to the I believe the digital voice black box by a blue wire and a white wire is connected to the inspiron 531s modem. 

Networking Expert
Baric

If you only have one computer, you can plug it directly into the cable modem and not even use the switch.  In fact, if you tried to use other comptuers plugged intot eh switch, it would not work unless you are already paying extra to Comcast.  As you have it setup, the switch is doing nothing at all.
Contributor

Is this perhaps the reason my internet connection is so slow to upload or why it keeps getting disconnected. 
Connection Expert
EG

[ Edited ]

Not likely unless there is some sort of hardware issue with the switch.

As Baric stated, you don't need it. Try things without the switch and see if that issue still exists.

I'm curious as to who/how the switch got there in the first place ?

Message Edited by EG on 11-25-2008 08:51 PM
Networking Expert
Baric

i agree with EG, unless there's something wrong with switch, it's not going to effect your speed.  From your description, it's not necessary, so I would remove it anyway.  Any better?  If not, look at your cable modem signal levels (see the stickies in the Internet Connection forum for how to check those).