Contributor

No support for Linux

I use Linux exclusively.  I don't even own a copy of MS Windows.  I can surf your site with ease on my browser which is a derivitave of Firefox.  I can even watch some tv shows on your site.  But several of your movies state that you support only MS Windows or MAC OSX.  Other movies require Silverlight which is a Microsoft plugin and does not work on Linux.  Linux has it's own Silverlight clone call Moonlight.

Those of us who use Linux are advocates of free and open software.  There are a lot of us out here.  Would you consider supporting Linux?  Please.

Email Expert
CCCarole

Re: No support for Linux

I would go to the Comcast homepage, and on the bottom right side, click on Feedback. 

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.

Connection Expert
JamesR

I think there are Windows Emulators for Linux.

Another solution would be to run a Dual boot machine so you can boot into Windows when you want to do so.

Networking Expert
kevj

JamesR wrote:

I think there are Windows Emulators for Linux.

Another solution would be to run a Dual boot machine so you can boot into Windows when you want to do so.

Unlikely to be an option for this person, methinks.... :smileywink:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I don't work for Comcast...

Help us to help you!!
- respond to requests for info
- post back if your issue is resolved
- mark appropriate posts as solutions

Send feedback to Comcast using the 'feedback' link on this page:
http://www.comcast.com/Corporate/Customers/CustomerGuarantee.html?SCRedirect=true

Contributor

Not an option.  I'll stick with Linux.  I'd just like Comcast to recognize us.

Connection Expert
EG

Ahhh. Hardcore Lynx !!

Contributor

Definitely.

Connection Expert
JamesR

OK help me out here.

If you have a program that runs on Linux to count widgets and you run that program every day.

and there is another program Like Samba that allow you to access shares on your uncle willies laptop

What towuld be wrong with running a third pprogram that allows you to read and write to MS Office Files

or Watch the video you want to watch.  Don't understand why you wouldn't downoad the program and run  it when there is video to watch?

Your choice of course.

What Distro are you running?

Networking Expert
Weil

JamesR wrote:

OK help me out here.

If you have a program that runs on Linux to count widgets and you run that program every day.

and there is another program Like Samba that allow you to access shares on your uncle willies laptop

What towuld be wrong with running a third pprogram that allows you to read and write to MS Office Files

or Watch the video you want to watch.  Don't understand why you wouldn't downoad the program and run  it when there is video to watch?

Your choice of course.

Why should anyone run anything in virus attracting Windows (threatening ones important data) when a Macintosh running NeoOffice can read and write MS Office files with a superior user interface and functionality.  Note that there is scientific analytic software available that runs in versions of Unix.

sam

Contributor

My intent was not to defend my usage of linux.  I merely want to point out that there are those of us who use llinux out here and it would be nice if Xfinity would be supportive of us.  It seems like good customer service to me.

Connection Expert
JamesR

No Defense needed.  Linux is good.  I have an Ubuntu 8.04 Server. I run Samba for compatibility w the Win boxes.

All I am saying is that when presented with a roadblock, you need to route around it.

Bought a new 64bit laptop.  Comcast Video would not play!  (No adobe flashplayer for 64 bit IE9)

I stewed a fretted until someone suggested a work around.  (Turns out IE9 32 bit comes w Flash)

First thing I would lookk for would be a compatible video player that runs on Linux and plays the videos.

An alternative would be to look at Wine, VMWare or Win4Lin which run on Linux and, I am guessing, would allow you to run IE9 32bit with Flash or whatever.

That said,

If it comes down to deciding whether to listen to me or to listen to Weil, go with Weil as he knows almost everything there is worth knowing. :smileycool:

Networking Expert
Weil

JamesR wrote:

No Defense needed.  Linux is good.....

That said,

If it comes down to deciding whether to listen to me or to listen to Weil, go with Weil as he knows almost everything there is worth knowing. :smileycool:

Thanks, I have one former co-worker who owned a NorthStar and used pcs forever.  Another who built his own 8080 box from scratch.  They and I have engaged in lengthy discussions.  We have all written software in Assemby, whatever and Ada.   We abhorred mediocre software that wasn't completely tested to eliminate bugs.  Most of my friends accepted Windows for non-critical applications with me being the lone holdout.

I demand a consistent user interface and retention of user short cuts from the previous releases.  Mathematics and formulaic errors are unacceptable.  One version of Excel had a problem and the MS coder accused me of being a "mathematician".   Note that I live relatively near the Microsoft campus and some of my former co-workers are employed there.

Would you personally sign off on a scientific calculation in your new paper without having tested your equations at many locations including boundaries?   Anyway, all of us have different uses for computers. Some have never watched an Xfinity video.  I am probably going to order the new Mac Book Air at the end of the week to serve as a toy.

sam

Networking Expert
Baric

I agree, it would be nice if web sites worked in all browsers and OS'es, but that's not the way the world works.  Comcast (and others) could certanly have chosen more Linux friendly technologies, but they almost always concentrate on the majority of users and spend no time making sure their pages load everywhere.  It's a shame, but to be fair, it's not always easy to accomplish, one solution works in one situaton, but not in another, so they stick with satisfying the vast majority of their users and those of us with Linux systems have to find ways around them.  Personally, I use Linux a great deal, but usually in a development/server capacity and the times I use Firefox on my Gentoo desktop I don't have any real problems with the sites I visit.

New Visitor
bsbmusic

Hi. I'd like to just comment on this post as well. I am as well saddened by Comcast's lack of Linux support earlier I went to customer support because I tried using Moonlight (On Fedora 15 which I currently run) which is a version for Silverlight on Linux and they seemed to have no clue what Linux was because they as well stated that Linux is "incompatiable with their internet" which makes no sense since the internet doesn't support a certain kind of Operating System.

Email Expert
CCCarole

Maybe off topic, but wanted to comment anyway:  I am an older lady that just purchased a new PC a month ago.  I realy wanted to go with an iMac, but was afraid it would be too much for me to learn, despite my son's assurance that I could.  My son is a Mac person, Linux, etc. I can't even recall the names of the some of the operating systems he uses.  He works in IT out of state.  So despite being a Windows gal, I do agree with you guys...

CC

Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)

Networking Expert
Baric

bsbmusic wrote:

Hi. I'd like to just comment on this post as well. I am as well saddened by Comcast's lack of Linux support earlier I went to customer support because I tried using Moonlight (On Fedora 15 which I currently run) which is a version for Silverlight on Linux and they seemed to have no clue what Linux was because they as well stated that Linux is "incompatiable with their internet" which makes no sense since the internet doesn't support a certain kind of Operating System.

The phone reps are generally pretty clueless, so it's not surprising you were told this, as awful as that sounds.  Just ignore it as it makes no sense for you to spend your time pointing out their ignorance.  Those with any tech skills already know this and those without the skills won't understand anyway.

We all know our Linux systems operate just fine on the Internet in exactly the same manner as the hordes of Windows or Mac systems.  Individual websites that rely on non-Linux friendly technologies (like Silverlight) will cause problems, but we almost always have ways around those, if you want to work at it.  Those sites that have browser version code that don't take Linux unto account are to be avoided because really, how good can that site be if the designers are that bad?

Networking Expert
Baric

CCCarole wrote:

Maybe off topic, but wanted to comment anyway:  I am an older lady that just purchased a new PC a month ago.  I realy wanted to go with an iMac, but was afraid it would be too much for me to learn, despite my son's assurance that I could.  My son is a Mac person, Linux, etc. I can't even recall the names of the some of the operating systems he uses.  He works in IT out of state.  So despite being a Windows gal, I do agree with you guys...

CC

Carole, tell you son he should be a good son and get you a MacBook or iMac for Xmas or your birthday or Mother's day, or maybe all three...:smileydevil:

Recognized Contributor
halfband

[ Edited ]

Silverlight and similar technologies are used by comcast and other ISPs because the content providers (read hollywood) demand DRM on the distribution.   Linux development is less centralized and not trusted by the content providers, therefore less support for Linux.  The root of the issue is not comcasts support for linux, it is the draconian attempts of the content providers to maintain control over their business model and their fear of digital content distribution in an open environment like linux. 

Email Expert
CCCarole

Baric wrote:

CCCarole wrote:

CC

Carole, tell you son he should be a good son and get you a MacBook or iMac for Xmas or your birthday or Mother's day, or maybe all three...:smileydevil:

Baric,

You know me so you know I am open to learning just about anything new- BUT when you are talking about a major dollar investment  i just needed to stay with what I know. AND- since my son is very far away ( and so are YOU) well... You get the picture... BUT does it help to know I am currently saving up for an iPad2 to replace my 'back-up very old laptop? :smileylaugh:

CC

Networking Expert
Weil

CCCarole wrote:

Baric wrote:

Baric,.... BUT does it help to know I am currently saving up for an iPad2 to replace my 'back-up very old laptop? :smileylaugh:

CC

Tell both your son and Baric to avoid this toy!

http://store.apple.com/us/product/H1991ZM/A/Parrot_AR_Drone?mco=MjQxMjM3MDI

sam

New Visitor
Radialshifter

JamesR wrote:

OK help me out here.

Your choice of course.

Wouldn't that involve purchasing a copy of Windows?

Networking Expert
Baric

Radialshifter wrote:

JamesR wrote:

OK help me out here.

Your choice of course.

Wouldn't that involve purchasing a copy of Windows?

No, unless the program you are downloading is a Windows program.  In most cases, there are Linux programs for viewing/using files just about anything you would typically find on Windows.

New Visitor
spazdaddy

[ Edited ]

I use 100% Archlinux and I certainly agree with the sentiment here. Of course stepping outside of the mainstream is always a give and take thing. Personally, I'm very willing to put up with a small amount of inconvenience in order to use my OS of choice and I believe the majority of experienced users would agree.

I have run into very little content that couldn't be made to work with Linux with Firefox or Konqueror with a small amount of research and effort, the rest I just leave alone, small price to pay for my sanity and sunny disposition. Since I made the switch a few years ago, I have run into much much much fewer annoyances and headaches than what was the daily norm with vista & w7. Overall as far as the give and take part goes, I have definitely come out ahead.

We Linux users are a pretty small minority, outside of the corporate machine and I doubt if we will ever see a great deal of consideration, goes with the territory.

Contributor
martyscholes

If you Linux users feel abandoned and alone, imagine how we OpenSolaris users feel.

Some of my favorite gems include from 2005-ish when you could not activate internet without a Windows machine. I literally borrowed a friend's laptop to activate my account.

One time I lost/misplaced/whatever a bill and the service was interrupted. After I paid the bill, the DNS caches on evereything were poisoned. Instead of telling me to purge the DNS caches, Comcast required me to reboot my server, a 25 minute ordeal.

When I discussed the DNS issue with a technician, he insisted that DNS poisoning was identical to cutting the network.

Good times.
Visitor

Moonlight does not work for most Linux distros.  :smileysad:It was designed to work for Novell not for the general Linux distros.  Moonlight was part of a business deal between Novell and Microsoft.  Silverlight and Moonlight are not making money and will gradually be phased out.  Furthermore HTML 5 is in development for video and will change the video programming for the entire web. 

Linux is beginning to provide easy OS installations and user friendly desktops that can be used by the non-technical public, which is most of the U.S. population.  Within this decade the general public will begin to understand what Linux is all about.  Once they realize that an operating system is merely another piece of software they will not be willing to pay high prices for Windows.  This is a serious financial problem for Microsoft, and it must come up with proprietary software that limits user access to various media.  Furthermore other companies such as Comcast must use the

proprietary software because that is in the best interest of Comcast's media suppliers.  For the media industry there is a good financial reason to support Microsoft's proprietary software.

This is a race between Linux and Microsoft, and it is not obvious that Microsoft will win.  Microsoft must lockup the media before a significant number of people begin to use Linux.  If computers

begin to be sold with Linux operating systems, and if the general public begins to expect support of Linux then Microsoft loses. 

New Visitor
superninjaryu

I just tried Xfinity online... oh what a shock it didn't work.  I'm currently using Xubuntu and most of the other computers are using Linux as well.  Comcast is getting more and more frustrating for us.  Especially considering the consistant price hikes every few months on the TV side.  We have started looking at other options.

Networking Expert
Baric

superninjaryu wrote:

I just tried Xfinity online... oh what a shock it didn't work.  I'm currently using Xubuntu and most of the other computers are using Linux as well.  Comcast is getting more and more frustrating for us.  Especially considering the consistant price hikes every few months on the TV side.  We have started looking at other options.

My Ubuntu system works great, whatever problem you have has nothing to so with basic compatibility between Comcast and Linux.  Comcast couldn't care less what OS you run, the only requirement is a working TCP/IP stack and an ethernet connection.  While I agree the cable TV price has gotten way out of hand, that's a seperate issue from whether Ubuntu works with Comcast or not (it does).

Connection Expert
JamesR

superninjaryu wrote:

Can you do an ifconfig and post the results here?

Also do a traceroute to Comcast and post that as well?

Also it would be good to know what Browser you are trying to use.

A description of the failure would be helpful as well.

Contributor
k_kraft

The issue here isn't really and Windows/Mac vs. Linux issue, it's an issue of how Comcast presents its content to the public.  Devices are becoming so desparate that there will need to be a decision made by someone at some point as to what encoding, protocols, and software will be supported moving forward.  As noted earlier, Silverlight is dead so they'll have to do something soon.

So honestly the answer seems obvious; go with free and open standards.  That way it doesn't matter if it's Windows, Mac, iPhone, Android or "BobOS", the software will be (or can be) made available to consume the content.

The standards are out there and if there aren't any that satisfy you, Comcast, write and release one of your own.  Do you really want to limit your consumers' ability to view and use your services?

Just my $0.02,

-K

New Visitor

This is the best reply yet.  BTW isn't it odd that this website is Apache based.  Most likely it couldn't read itself and watch a movie.

Comcast uses some form of Linux/Unix yet we have to reboot or use VMWare to view the site.

They need to quit being hypocrites.

New Visitor
olorlin

Geez, this silverlight plugin requirement really bites. At least make it work with moonlight.

New Visitor
rcmjivaro

I also use Linux exclusively. Windows is garbage software that owns the market ONLY because of their superior marketing skills and a general public that got sucked into it.

I would like to mention that us Linux users ask for virtually zero support because our systems just work. Every day. If we have a problem it is likely to be one of two things: 1. We have something mis-configured on our computer and we take it upon ourself to find and fix it, or 2. we are trying to access content provided by some ignoramus that knows just enough to build the Microsoft Internet.

Windows users are provided with free antivirus and other tools which us Linux users have to pay for, built into the cost of our broadband service and we aren't even provided the courtesy of website content that functions without active-X controls or the bizzare mis-coding required for the Microsoft Internet.

Market share is increasing for non-MS systems and those that ignore it are going to find themselves exposed in a very embarrassing manner.

How about providing a discount to us non-Windows users that reflects the decreased support costs associated with us?

Contributor
BryanQuigley

I didn't see this when I originally posted: Please Support Linux! http://forums.comcast.com/t5/XfinityTV-Website/Please-Support-Linux/td-p/12973...

but if you haven't added your support there as well.. you might as well.

Thanks!

Bryan

Visitor
choochoo7

I am 100%  convinced that Xfinity will NEVER support Linux.  For instance, this thread (one of many) was started in 2009, it is now halfway through 2012 and they haven't changed a thing.  I spoke with a representative and it took nearly an hour for him to realize i was using linux (it was the very first thing I said to him) and "promised" to bring this up to his superiors; a claim i have seen other reps make in the past.  If they aren't going to support Linux then they need to take the Moonlight plugin down from their redirect because it is blatantly a false claim. If Xfinity does not support Linux/Moonlight then the page should say just that, it should not take me to a download that claims it will work and give me false hopes.  Apparently the only thing they've done to tackle this issue over the past 5 years is to make it look like they are trying to support Linux without actually doing anything.  Very sad.  I am willing to bet Microsoft has a stake in this company *CRINGE*.  

LINUX USERS SHOULD PAY LESS SINCE THEY ARE RECIEVING LESS SERVICES!!!!!!!!!!! 

HTML 5 FTW! 

Contributor
BryanQuigley

It's actually Microsoft redirecting to Moonlight, not Comcast.  Still not very user friendly though.

Regular Visitor

As a long time Linux user there are many commercial/mainstream/overhyped applications and/or programs that I am willing to forego.

To state the obvious; Linux users are a minority whose wishes and concerns are not a priority when compared to the policies, interests and tactics of profit-seekers.

Yes, it's annoying; but ya get what ya pay for...or what your not willing to pay for.This includes operating systems.

I appreciate the band-width, but I loath Comcast's service policies in general and much of Xfinity's OS restricted content. Much like HBO is to television; Silverlight is to my internet experience. I can do without them both.

Regardless, I will continue to use and support Linux because of the overwhelming generosity and friendship within that community. Comcast take note.

Contributor
k_kraft

Just throwing this out there:  NetFlix is ditching SilverLight for HTML5:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/04/16/netflix_planning_html5_switch/

It's not ready yet, they still need to implement the DRM in some way, but it's a start. They already have a version of this running in ChromeOS which is Linux-based.

It's progress.  I hope you're seeing this, Comcast. Don't let NetFlix get ahead of you!

Regular Contributor
hytekk

If anyone is still looking for a way to play Xfinity on a Linux machine then check out this little guide I wrote up. It's just a way that I was able to get past their "no support for linux" issue.

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/XfinityTV-Website/Guide-How-to-play-Xfinity-TV-on-a-Linux-PC/td-p/21027...

Connection Expert
EG

Three year old thread now closed.