Recognized Contributor

Okay/Legal to Use Two Modems?

My house has two separate co-axial cable connectors coming into the house, at opposite ends of the house. I have, at various times, used one or the other to connect my modem.

I'm wondering if I could use both connectors at the same time. I would have to buy another modem, of course, but having two modems at opposite ends of the house would mean that my wireless router wouldn't have to service the whole house. As it is, the wireless signal has to pass through plenty of walls and other obstacles.

I would use one modem for my HDTV and the other modem for my wireless router.

Is this a feasible setup? And is it legal...or would I have to pay Comcast for the use of another line? The two connectors seem to be part of the same line going from the street to my house because, as I mentioned, I have used one or the other at various times with no trouble.

Cable Expert
i-am-nerdburg

Re: Okay/Legal to Use Two Modems?

Technically, it's feasable, but Comcast only allows one modem per account.

Contributor
Bears4All

I believe also that unless you use a router (hardwired or wireless) each modem will need their Mac Address put into the system. So if they do charge for an extra modem that would be when you can find out for sure.

Recognized Contributor

So to stay within Comcast's TOS I would need to pay a monthly charge for an extra outlet?

Cable Expert
WarEagle57

Bulldog99 wrote:

I would use one modem for my HDTV and the other modem for my wireless router.

Why would you use a modem for the TV?

Contributor
voyager9

Perhaps it's an internet-enabled TV?

Even if you could do it, I wouldn't.  Rather then paying Comcast every month to have a second modem you could spend some money upfront.  Look into wireless extenders.  Netgear and Dlink sell them for less than $100.    If you really want hardwired then look into ways to run ethernet cable from your router to your TV or whatever.  Either way, I'd rather spend some time and money up front ONCE than have to pay a reoccuring fee.

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

I am a big believer of powerline ethernet adapters for uses like this when the ethernet can't be run.  Better than any wireless solution as long as the wiring in  the home is up to the task.

Recognized Contributor

[Replied to you but addressed to all.]

I agree that it makes no sense to pay an extra fee every month; better to make the up-front investment. Will investigate range extender/more powerful antenna and powerline networking. Thanks to all.

Contributor
Bears4All

There was one time I used a second modem. Was at a place where I rented a room. Comcast service provided. Ran the coax from to my room, and I did recieve the TV channels, which meant that the internet was there also.

Plugged in my router and my cable modem that I had bought when I had the service in my name prior to moving. When I tried to connect I kept getting that window saying to join comcast. FIgured it would not work. They did not even have my Mac for the modem in the system.

Tried for two days. Then an idea came to me. Never thought is woould work. What I did was change my DNS from Comcast dns servers to AT&T dns servers. And was I shocked. It actually worked and I was online. Never had any issues. One funny thing happened. My landlady lost her connection for like 5 hours. Me? I was hopping around the net as always and no issues.

I doubt that it would do that anymore. No reason for me to even try. But it is a true and funny story that did happen.

Regular Contributor
scottryanmead

i-am-nerdburg wrote:

Technically, it's feasable, but Comcast only allows one modem per account.

You can have two modems on one account, however you have to pay the regular monthy charge for that second modem.

Connection Expert
EG

scottryanmead wrote:

You can have two modems on one account, however you have to pay the regular monthy charge for that second modem.

This is not true for all market areas across the board..

Regular Contributor

JayInAlg wrote:

I am a big believer of powerline ethernet adapters for uses like this when the ethernet can't be run.  Better than any wireless solution as long as the wiring in  the home is up to the task.

That is one choice, but you can get a MoCA that simply attaches to the cable and can be setup with the router.  You will have internet wherever the cable goes.

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

I am a big beliver of MOCA adapters too, they are too complex for many, as many don't know how their coax runs in the house.

New Visitor
hwy505

Not true nerdberg - you can have another modem. When I did it some time ago I was charged for the second Mac address. When you sign up for Internet service, the salesperson will also ask if you want to use more than one modem.