Contributor
jashtiani

Setting up a Fax Machine with Comcast TG862 Arris Modem Please help!

I am trying to connect a printer that has fax capability. I also have a gateway from comcast, along with a phone service from comcast. My setup is the following: I have a dual port wall jack with an insert on the bottom port that makes one phone line into two. I have the top phone line jack go to a wired phone, the first bottom jack goes to the Comcast modem, and the second bottom jack goes to the fax machine. 

Whenever phone calls are made to the home phone, there is a long tone while the person is talking. I can't figure out how to fix this issue. Please help me because I have tried everywhere and no one can help!!!

Recognized Contributor
mooshipark

Re: Setting up a Fax Machine with Comcast TG862 Arris Modem Please help!

Is the fax machine answering the phone?   This would cause it to whistle.  You can probably turn that off in the printer settings.

Contributor
jashtiani

Re: Setting up a Fax Machine with Comcast TG862 Arris Modem Please help!

Yeah, it does have a small ringtone. What is really going on is that the machine is trying to receive a fax when someone tries to go to voicemail. When I try calling, it rings properly, but when it goes to voicemail on the phone, there is like a long double like beep, because it is trying to receive a fax. Do I need to add another number as a dedicated fax line?

Another issue is that the printer is in the office with the modem, and we have two different brands of phone. We have a uniden answering system with one handset, and a panasonic answering system with two handsets. The panasonic is connected to the printer which is connected to the phone line. 

What should I do now?