Contributor
TambourineMan

What Docsis 3.0 modems are VOIP capable and for rent in Comcast Milton?

What Docsis 3.0 modems will not only provide something close to the 12 mps that i am supposed to be getting and will also work with the Comcast Xfinity phone and are available for rent in Comcast Milton?

When my prior contract expired I went with a new bundle but I downgraded from 15 mps to 12 mps as I never got anywhere near that speed and decided not to pay for what I was not getting anymore, but the rep said I would be getting a new Docsis 3.0 modem.

When the service technician came, he did not switch out the mdoem but left me with the existing SBV5220 which is only a Docsis 2.0 modem.

I called customer service and they are sending a separate Docsis 3.0 modem which will be used in conjunction with the existing SBV5220, but I will have to split the line-in which degrades the signal.

Motorola makes a number of combined hispeed internet and VOIP modems so the line would not have to be split, but the list of approved modems does not indicate which ones they are.  I could/would buy a Motorola SBV6220, but the list does not show that it is approved

New Visitor
djwicky

Re: What Docsis 3.0 modems are VOIP capable and for rent in Comcast Milton?

The DOCSIS 3.0 modems/EMTA's are only installed for speeds greater than 12MB.  The technician was correct when installing the 2.0 modem.

Connection Expert
EG

djwicky wrote:

The DOCSIS 3.0 modems/EMTA's are only installed for speeds greater than 12MB.  The technician was correct when installing the 2.0 modem.

Heard it from a little birdie that this policy may soon be changing.

Connection Expert
EG

TambourineMan wrote:

I could/would buy a Motorola SBV6220, but the list does not show that it is approved

You must rent the EMTA from them in most areas. Rumor has it that this policy too may soon be changing.

Contributor
TambourineMan

[ Edited ]

I was renting the Docsis 2.0 modem before for $5/month.

The CSR was wrong when she said they did not have a combined Docsis 3.0 and voice modem and that I would have to have one fo rthe phone and one for the internet.

The tech showed up with an Arris TM702G/CT Docsis 3.0 combined voice and internet modem.

The rental fee for the new one is the same $5/month.  I would rather buy one as since I could probably amortize the cost in a year or so, but so far I can't find anyone selling one.

I was buying 15 mps before, but since I only got speeds of about 3.5 when I switched to the new bundle I downgraded to 12.  I haven't checked the speed fo the new modem, but if it's cloase to 12, I will go back to 15.  I just don't want to pay for something I am not getting.

Connection Expert
EG

TambourineMan wrote:

I would rather buy one as since I could probably amortize the cost in a year or so, but so far I can't find anyone selling one.

As I stated, in most areas you still have to rent an EMTA from them because they won't provision for service one that is customer owned. Even if you find someone "selling one", I wouldn't buy one yet. You may wind up with an expensive brick !

Recognized Contributor

It isn't necessary to get a Docsis 3.0 modem for 16 Mbps.  Actually, I have the tripple-play performance plus package & use a Docsis 2 Arris modem.

Comcast speed test site say anywhere between 14 Mbps to 29.x Mbps download depending on the time-of-day.  No idea what I'm supposed to be getting as the bill doesn't say for packages?

I've verified that the speed is approx correct when downloading an 81 meg file which should take into account the boost feature.  Have gotten the same file at 24 Mbps & just got the same file at 15 Mbps.  Oh, the test & getting the file is done listening to internet streaming radio music from a European site; one site has availble classical music at 320 kbps & 256 kbps; I never listen at lower than a 128 kbps stream which is usually jazz.

Comcast table show performance plus as 8/2 Mbps & 16/2 on when docsis 3 is available.  Read that "performance plus" will be "blast" sometime.  Also read on dslreports on rumors that the blast tier may become 20/2 for the same price as performance plus.

So one can see why my confusion on what I am supposed to get since I should get any speed testing in the 20 Mbps or getting file vis ftp at 20 Mbps for sites that have the capability.  Most sites are at much lower access & the highest I've gotten was about the 8 Mbps range which is still ok; naturally, some sites limit even down to about 100 kbps for the free acess as they want people to "subscribe"/pay for the higher speed file xfer.

Did read that I may have to get a docsis 3 modem for the 20 Mbps but docsis 3 hasn't arrived here officially even tho some have gotten docsis 3.0 access/connection.

Connection Expert
EG

[ Edited ]

citrus wrote:

It isn't necessary to get a Docsis 3.0 modem for 16 Mbps. 

Technically, it "isn't necessary" as a D1.1/D2 modem is capable of that download speed, but their new policy seems to be pointed in this direction. It is a 'win win' situation for both CC and the subscriber if users begin to use D3 channel bonding modems on D3 upgraded CMTS's.

Recognized Contributor

EG wrote:

citrus wrote:

It isn't necessary to get a Docsis 3.0 modem for 16 Mbps. 

Technically, it "isn't necessary" as a D1.1/D2 modem is capable of that download speed, but their new policy seems to be pointed in this direction. It is a 'win win' situation for both CC and the subscriber if users begin to use D3 channel bonding modems on D3 upgraded CMTS's.

hmmnm, thanks for the info.  Think I'll call about getting a newer modem as some have reported that docsis 3.0 is working in my ziparea.

2nd thought, call after the 6/18/2010 TV channels numbering swithover to add more HD; CC support may get lots of phone calls since people rarely pay attention to info provided about changes, except for rate increasess, sometimes.

Connection Expert
EG

[ Edited ]

citrus wrote:

hmmnm, thanks for the info.  Think I'll call about getting a newer modem as some have reported that docsis 3.0 is working in my ziparea.

To my knowledge, their current policy is that they will only provide a D3 capable modem to those who actually subscribe to the Ultra or the Extreme speed tiers. This may soon be changing. It looks like they intend to upgrade the current Blast 16/2 tier to 20/4 and now classify it as a D3 speed tier and eliminate the 22/5 Ultra tier. You should ask your local office if you can rent a D3 modem and see what they say. Ya' never know. You have the option of buying your own as well.

Recognized Contributor

Reply to myself:

Found a CC  webpage regarding speed tiers & docsis 3.0 modems where there is a list of approved devices: http://mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/

Table of speed tier & docsis modem usage:

Remember DOCSIS matters if you subscribe to Comcast Performance, Blast!, Ultra or Extreme.
Please use the chart below to ensure the device is compatible with the service level that you subscribe to.

CHSI Speed Tier     DOCSIS DEVICE REQUIRED

Economy                   DOCSIS 1.1, 2.0 or 3.0
Performance             DOCSIS 2.0 or 3.0
Blast!                        DOCSIS 3.0
Ultra                          DOCSIS 3.0
Extreme 50               DOCSIS 3.0

Looks like the official word is that I need a docsis 3.0 modem to replace my docsis 2 as I have the Blast! (performance plus) for now under the tripple-play.