New Visitor
mirrorrim

Xfinity keeps hijacking my internet and forcing me to download software over and over

First, it makes my blood boil that I have to download junk software just to "activate" my internet connection. However, something is not sticking with my download, and I have had to install the software over 40 times. Usually about once or twice a week Comcast blocks me from accessing any other websites until I download and install the software again.

WHY>!!?! Please tell me how to stop this. I tried contacting customer support and it was a joke. The CSR had no frickin clue what was going on and gave me really basic stupid advice that had nothing to do with comcast hijacking my internet connection repeatedly.

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

Re: Xfinity keeps hijacking my internet and forcing me to download software over and

[ Edited ]

First, if there is any Comcast software on your computer UNINSTALL it.

Then call Comcast. Don't go into any explanations about software-you don't need to mention it. Just tell whoever you talk to that your modem needs to be provisioned. Also ask the person to make sure your account is coded correctly.  

If you continue to have problems post back in this topic and someone will escalate your issue to the administrator or give you an alternate method of contact.

Comcast employees must be authorized to post in the forum in an official capacity. Employees posting here have their names in red and are designated as employees. Names not in red are customers.

This is done to protect customers and for assurance that they are dealing with a Comcast employee.
Non-Authorized Employees are allowed to post but cannot state they are employees nor can they allude to being employees.

New Visitor
Jpauls4281

Re: Xfinity keeps hijacking my internet and forcing me to download software over and

I'm having the same exact problem, however I can't get to anyone on the phone to help me. I've called 1-800-comcast and can't find tech support and even reached out to chat with someone but they told me to call in my issue. 

I'm getting so frustrated, makes me want to cancel everything!!!

New Visitor
msvegasbaby

I am in the same boat! My browser is being hijacked by comcast every few days! Not only did I end up 'having' to install software I neither needed or wanted - my internet would not work without it - but invited guests using my wifi are harassed with comcast/xfinity demands to install software on their computers!  And my internet service STILL won't work consistently - every few days my browser is hijacked with that stupid comcast screen, demanding I install their software! Today, I called several times. Each time, I was left on hold for a longer and longer time. Finally, I called, determined to stay on as long as it took. They won. At 52 minutes, I gave up. I will try one more time and take the advice of Queen Evie listed below. If that fails to rectify the situation, i will cancel this bunk 'service' and go back to ATand T

Cable Expert
i-am-nerdburg

To get help, you can contact Comcast Corporate Customer Service (we_can_help@cable.comcast.com) Send a link to this thread and your account details. You can also ask for help in the Broadband Reports Comcast Direct Forum or via Twitter.

Or you can contact Steve Teow (AKA ComcastSteve) via twitter, private message via these forums or by email.

Visitor

Just experienced the same thing - force download, browser hijack, default browser search modification and 3 'shortcuts' on the desktop.  I have recommended Comcast to my computer customers as a 'good, reliable' high-speed solution.  This is an underhanded method of forcing people to make Comcast to be a destination instead of a ISP. 

There is no uninstall, (in spite of what the help desk says), so I'll restore to an earlier image to mitigate any 'damage' this software might have done.

Comcast, no matter how you manipulate my computer, you can't MAKE me want your services.  You can however keep this up and lose me as one.

Bronze Problem Solver
barbie123

You do not need or want any comcast software on your computer. How are they making you download anything? 

Connection Expert
EG

[ Edited ]

barbie123 wrote:

You do not need or want any comcast software on your computer. How are they making you download anything? 

Some local / older CMTS's / systems still push the software through the Walled Garden modem registration page.

Visitor

I don't know what a "CMTS" is.  How do I get a 'new' one so I don't have to continue the hijacking? 

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

CMTS http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cable_modem_termination_system

It's bit technical but the first paragraph will tell you what it is.

It isn't something you can get.

Something you can try is to call and ask for a roll and reprovision of the modem. This removes it from your account then adds it back. It could be something not coded correctly for your account.

If you have Comcast phone service do not use that phone to call. It will be knocked out when the roll and reprovision process is done.

Comcast employees must be authorized to post in the forum in an official capacity. Employees posting here have their names in red and are designated as employees. Names not in red are customers.

This is done to protect customers and for assurance that they are dealing with a Comcast employee.
Non-Authorized Employees are allowed to post but cannot state they are employees nor can they allude to being employees.

Connection Expert
EG

mathis21788 wrote:

I don't know what a "CMTS" is.  How do I get a 'new' one so I don't have to continue the hijacking? 

Sorry. Didn't mean to be unclear. That's why the term "systems" was also included. That is pretty descriptive no ?

CMTS = Cable Modem Termination System. It is basically the other end that your modem is connected to at what is known as the Comcast *headend* facility / building for your local area.