Contributor

exchanging a leased modem?

Does anyone know/has anyone exchanged their comcast leased modem for a new one? We've had this one since cable was installed-and we have to reset it at least 20 times a day.  Does comcast accept old ones for upgrades, anyone know??
Bronze Problem Solver

Re: exchanging a leased modem?

habx4 wrote:
Does anyone know/has anyone exchanged their comcast leased modem for a new one? We've had this one since cable was installed-and we have to reset it at least 20 times a day.  Does comcast accept old ones for upgrades, anyone know??

Take it to your local comcast office and ask for a replacement.
Service Expert
Queen-Evie

[ Edited ]
You can take your current modem to your local Comcast office and exchange it IF they accept them. Some offices don't. Check with the office in your area to find out if they do. Your new modem will have to be provisioned, if you hook it up to your computer and get the walled garden, call Comcast to provision it for you.

Message Edited by Queen-Evie on 11-30-200602:26 PM

Comcast employees must be authorized to post in the forum in an official capacity. Employees posting here have their names in red and are designated as employees. Names not in red are customers.

This is done to protect customers and for assurance that they are dealing with a Comcast employee.
Non-Authorized Employees are allowed to post but cannot state they are employees nor can they allude to being employees.

Contributor

ok~ well, since they're so cheap to buy....is there any reason we wouldn't want to just return the leased one to comcast and buy our own-and forego the monthly cost associated with 'leasing' their modem, which is old and outdated anyway?? 

On that note, Comcast help pages list a section for compatible modems; should I go buy one of these suggested modems, will I need to have comcast do anything in order for my service to work with the new modem?  Thanks!!
Bronze Problem Solver

[ Edited ]

habx4 wrote:
ok~ well, since they're so cheap to buy....is there any reason we wouldn't want to just return the leased one to comcast and buy our own-and forego the monthly cost associated with 'leasing' their modem, which is old and outdated anyway?? 

On that note, Comcast help pages list a section for compatible modems; should I go buy one of these suggested modems, will I need to have comcast do anything in order for my service to work with the new modem?  Thanks!!

There is no reason why you can't return your leased modem, buy your own, provision it with comcast (either automatically or over the phone), and be surfing the Internet free of modem leasing cost. Many recommend the SB5120.

Message Edited by FishMan on 11-30-200601:20 PM

Connection Expert
EG

[ Edited ]
Bear in mind that if you have line quality issues, depending on their severity, a new Modem may not be the answer.

Were I you, I would go over to the "Connection" forum and follow the suggestions in the Sticky Topics at the top of the page by Jason1, then post the requested information so that you may get a better look at your overall connection quality before deciding whether or not to purchase your own Modem.

Message Edited by EG on 11-30-2006 07:18 PM

Contributor

Thanks for the tip, EG ~ i'll go to that forum and check out the comments.  The modem is *gasp* from 2000.... but, in the last few months the number of times it goes down and resets; or the number of times I have to reset/cyle it, has been climbing almost exponentially.  It usually has to be reset about 5 times an hour.  When trying to work from home  it becomes a burden
Most Valued Poster
runnoft

habx4 wrote:

I did this a year or two ago.  Same situation.  Was one of the first people in our area to get cable modem service, had the original modem, it was needing to be reset frequently, and it was costing $36 a year to lease.  I bought a MotoSB 5120, and when I hooked it up, Comcast recognized it was new, and their website butted in and quickly led me through the requisitioning process automatically (it wasn't necessary to call it in), and everything worked great out of the box (with a bump up in speed) and ever since.  I took the RCA modem back to Comcast, and I'm sure they just threw it out.  I waited too long to just get my own modem, like one of those little old ladies in Bensonhurst paying the phone company to lease a 40 year old dial telephone.  If there are no issues with your wiring or signal, I highly recommend you do what you're considering.  The one downside to owning your own modem is that if your Internet service gets flaky, and you have your own modem, getting service will be an issue because Comcast will say you're on your own unless you can show that it's the signal and not the equipment.  But in what you save, you can just buy a different modem and see if that fixes it.  They've gotten that cheap to be throwaway commodities.
Contributor

Hey thanks for the reply ~ I'm in your exact shoes and my RCA modem is a dinosuar.  I found the Motorolla online at Circuit city and I'll just buy it.  Thanks for letting me know   :-)
New Visitor

i just called them...because my leased modem is acting up.  it goes out every now and then and i have to reset my connection by disconnecting the cable, not just power down.  as a matter of fact, i can't shut the modem power off by hitting the button on top of the modem anymore.  it's just old and used. 

so, i called.  i can go to their office and exchange my very old one for a new one OR as i chose, it's being ups-ed to me.  that includes a return label to them for the old one to be sent back...ALL at no charge and should be no charge since that's the whole purpose of leasing for me.  

i can only assume that once i recieve it, it will be the most up to date one that will work on my current network and upgrades. at least that's what the customer care rep told me.

Networking Expert
Baric

Well, they will give you a current supported model, that's not to say it will be the most up-to-date model, only that it should work.

Another option is to buy your own cable modem and stop paying rent on the modem every month.  Many of use here run our own, for example I own a Motorola SB6120.