New Visitor
JLiz

2 Routers, 1 Modem

Will Comcast allow 2 routers off of a single modem? If so, is a switch required?

Connection Expert
EG

Re: 2 Routers, 1 Modem

Only if you had more than one residential IP from them. If you need more ports for your LAN devices then just connect the switch to one of the LAN ports on one of the routers and use it as an extender.

Regular Problem Solver
johkal

What are you trying to accomplish?

New Visitor
lauracarr5

I just got comcast installed, their modem had a built in wireless router and I was able to connect it to my existing wireless router and 5 port switch.  It all worked fine.  I decided to pull my linksys wireless router out since I didnt really need it since the modem with the built in router had 4 ports.  But I was able to use my wireless router, and a 5 port switch with comcasts modem with built in router.

New Visitor
lauracarr5

just to clarify, the 5 port switch was not required to use both routers.  We got both the modem set up first, then added my router and verified connection via that and them added the 5 port switch and everything worked fine.

Connection Expert
EG

[ Edited ]

Two routers may have worked, but the double NAT condition it introduced by cascading two routing devices is never desireable...

Seems that the "modem" and the combo modem / router gateway device terms are being used interchangeably and they should not be...