Contributor
DSA66
Accepted Solution

25MB - even 50MB - becomes 13MB download speed through wired router/switch

My 25/5 internet service, and even the recently unpgraded 50/10 ("Blast"??) service,

each worked at or above their promised speeds when measured through a [WinXP] PC connected directly to the Comcast modem (Cisco 3800).

However, when I add a hardwire router/4-port switch to the modem and then measure the speeds, the best I have gotten is about 12 to 14 MB downstream. This has been the same for each level of internet service (in fact, I upgraded thinkning that was the problem, at first). And it's the same whether only 1 PC is connected to the router - or 2, or 3.

I began to think, maybe 10/100 equipment isn't fast enough, and I need a gigabit router - but many people say that's not the case; I should be seeing 95% of my full internet speed through the router (Cisco customer svc. says).  

Please help - this is quite frustrating... I've read it's a common problem, but solutions I've read so far -- reducing MTU, deactivating router's internal firewall, disabling any QoS options, etc., etc. -- haven't worked for me.

Connection Expert
EG

Re: 25MB - even 50MB - becomes 13MB download speed through wired router/switch

What is the exact make and model number of the router ? Is this via a hardwired ethernet LAN connection or via wireless ? If it is wireless are you using the "N" protocol and are all your devices on your home network "N" capable ?

Contributor
DSA66

Modem: Comcast's Cisco DPC3008

Router: Linksys BEFSX41v2.1 - 4-port, hardwire-only, 10/100

Connection Expert
EG

You need a more current router with more horsepower. That thing is a Dinosaur speedwise.

Contributor
DSA66

Hahaha - yeah... in terms of electronic devices, 5 years is generations old!

I'm going to look for a 10/100/1000 router, I guess. However, I had a web-chat with a tech support guy at Linksys last night: He says even though it's old, 10/100 is still 10/100 - it should be keeping up with the modem's full throughput.

As for me... I just want to make use of the service I'm paying for, of course - and don't want to go buy a pricey peice of equipment that ends up not solving the problem. If you "Google" terms like "Internet slow through router", you will find 100's (thousands?) of people with the same problem, and just as many "solutions" - honestly... try it!

I appreciate your help very much... but please, let me know if you think of anything else that migh be useful.

Networking Expert
kevj

EG wrote:

You need a more current router with more horsepower. That thing is a Dinosaur speedwise.

Agreed...here is a post that shows the troughput for that device:

http://www.broadbandreports.com/forum/r15554559-

WAN to LAN throughtput is only about 16Mb/s, so you are getting all you are going to get with it...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I don't work for Comcast...

Help us to help you!!
- respond to requests for info
- post back if your issue is resolved
- mark appropriate posts as solutions

Send feedback to Comcast using the 'feedback' link on this page:
http://www.comcast.com/Corporate/Customers/CustomerGuarantee.html?SCRedirect=true

Contributor
DSA66

A good find - thanks, kevj.

Clearly, that is that.

Thank you both!

ya know... at one time, I had the impression (from dial-up days) that while networking hardware speeds are measured in bits/time,

internet download speeds were measured in bytes -- which would explain a lot about how the numbers compare (like in my case). Do you know if this is (or, was) so?

Connection Expert
EG

Speeds are measured in bits. File sizes and storage capacity are measured in bytes.

Contributor
DSA66

1.)    Theoretically... a modern 10/100 router/switch should be able to keep up with connection equipment delivering 100Mbps download speed, then? ...a 10/100/1000 version would only be truly needed by systems with over 100MB service?

2.)     Is there any good use for unmanaged, non-switching hubs in today's typical home (or commercial) networks?? Maybe to split a single router port into ports for devices much slower than the hardwired, internet-speed devices on the rest of the system?

Example - 4-port router/switch has 3 PC's connected... and 4th port could connect to a small hub, which in turn serves an IP-telephone module, and a wireless-G access point?

Connection Expert
EG

DSA66 wrote:

1.)    Theoretically... a modern 10/100 router/switch should be able to keep up with connection equipment delivering 100Mbps download speed, then? ...a 10/100/1000 version would only be truly needed by systems with over 100MB service?

Yes, theoretically, but this does not allow for the real world overhead that is associated with the TCP IP protocol or packet header and other forms of overhead that exist. Ratings and real world throughput are two different things.

Networking Expert
kevj

[ Edited ]

DSA66 wrote:

2.)     Is there any good use for unmanaged, non-switching hubs in today's typical home (or commercial) networks?? Maybe to split a single router port into ports for devices much slower than the hardwired, internet-speed devices on the rest of the system?

Example - 4-port router/switch has 3 PC's connected... and 4th port could connect to a small hub, which in turn serves an IP-telephone module, and a wireless-G access point?

Honestly, no...unswitched hubs are half-duplex devices, and also are non-selective when forwarding traffic, meaning that they send all traffic that comes in out of all ports on the hub. This causes unnecessary network congestion, and in your particular case, attaching a VOIP device to a hub it may cause massive congestion for any other devices connected to the hub when your VOIP device is in use. Hubs are pretty much obsolete...switches are cheap...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I don't work for Comcast...

Help us to help you!!
- respond to requests for info
- post back if your issue is resolved
- mark appropriate posts as solutions

Send feedback to Comcast using the 'feedback' link on this page:
http://www.comcast.com/Corporate/Customers/CustomerGuarantee.html?SCRedirect=true