New Visitor
IP_Video_Expert

ARRIS TG 862 MODEM

Can users of this model please post issues you are having with this modem.

1. Wireless continuoulsy works on and off. I had a new Cisco/Linksys device and this never happened until I placed this new all in one device in. This is why Infinity should provide you with the basic network connectivity device. They try to take over your entire network and it ends up causing everyone headeaches. 

Bronze Star Contributor
kraze1994

Re: ARRIS TG 862 MODEM

[ Edited ]

That device has a warning from Comcast as per the link below, I am not sure if it could be related though.

http://mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/

Connection Expert
EG

Ditch it or have them put it in to bridge mode so that it acts as a straight cable modem with voice support and use your own high quality wireless router with it.

Contributor
BrianPe

I have this modem with voice, tv and internet. Now my aol software won't work at all and certain websites are blocked. I don't know what else is blocked. My firewall (Norton from comcast) isn't blocking anything but the modem does. I know this because I can use the aol software at my sons house and he has comcast cable. What can I do to remedy this?

Connection Expert
EG

Same drill.

Contributor
BrianPe

3 weeks ago I talked to an online tech and asked for the Arris modem to be put in bridge mode so I could use my own router. Nothing changed. I still can't use aol software, facetime, Roblox and I just found out that Pando won't connect.

I have worked on trying to fix this for 7 months now, every day and I'm am so frustrated.

Recognized Contributor

I installed a Comcast Arris modem a few days ago, no problems yet. One thing I noticed was that the built-in firewall has three levels of security. You might try the minimum level and see if that helps. I don't know if you can set or disable specific firewall rules.

Contributor
BrianPe

I had comcast bridge my arris so it would act as a modem instead of a gateway because I have my own linksys connection. I thought I'd be able to use AOL Software, Facetime, Pando and who knows what else that isn't working. I used those products daily until we got xfinity. Now I've had to quit everything I did because they won't work. So basically, I've changed my whole lifestyle for it. No more aol, (I HATE aol webmail), no more digital scrapbooking, and no more video chatting with a daughter and granddaughter out of state. I certainly wish I had something else besides this arris for phone, tv and internet. Can someone please help?????

Recognized Contributor

Well, the other thought I had is to set up one of your computers as a DMZ through the modem firewall. Make sure the firewall on the PC is enabled, and try to turn off other devices on your network. Login to the modem and enable the DMZ. This should tell you whether the modem is filtering out the services you are concerned about.

New Visitor

I am having the same issue... iOS devices don't fully work because of this new modem/router I received three weeks ago. The all in one I had prior which was an Arris, not sure of the model number worked perfecttly...now this new one is not even worth having

New Visitor
davidms

I filled out the form to request a replacement modem, and two weeks later have heard nothing back.  I called support, and received none.  So a few days ago I called the bill department and told them I was no longer paying any bills since their modem is faulty and no replacement is forthcoming.  Within ten minutes I was on the phone with a very good support supervisor who ordered me the new modem (waiving the $20 fee Comcast charges to overcome THEIR mistake).  The modem arrived yesterday and it fixes all wireless issues, including connectivity and internet access for Apple mobile devices.  The modem Comcast sent is the SMC D3GNV.  So far so good.  By coincidence, this morning I received the order acknowledgement for a replacement modem, in response to my filling out an online form weeks ago, telling me it will arrive in 4-6 weeks.

Most Valued Poster
TerriB

I posted some of this on another Arris gateway modem issue thread. I had my own Motorola modem for many years that I was very happy with for voice and internet BUT it was 'end of line' and Comcast kept offering me the Arris TG862G gateway modem with router,/WIFI so I could take full advantage of the new higher Blast speed of 50M and other features. I don't have wireless tablet, etc so ignored them but they kept insisting so I went ahead and got one and then the trouble started. Got the Arris TG862G in October 2012 and it worked fine until 10/10 when access to bank of america, shutterfly and a few other secure websites failed. I wrestled over and over with bank and comcast and they blamed each other..SURPRISE. After 3 weeks a bank IT technician called and pointed me to the Comcast notice most of us have seen about the gateway router problems....http://mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/. I got fed up with the support on the phone from Comcast when I reported this issue. They claimed to have had no knowledge of the problem and wrote a ticket which of course I never got feedback. This week I decided to take this issue directly to them. I took my Arris to the local Comcast office and told them all that had gone on. Gave them a copy of the 'notice' which they had never seen before. I had decided not to deal with getting the modem put in bridege mode so told them I wanted a voice/internet modem WITHOUT wireless and got an RCA/Comcast and installed and activated and VOILA...I can get to any website I want to now! I am not sure if they have fixed the firmware issue with these gateway modems and I wasn't the mood to play trial and error. In time I will probably buy my own modem again. TerriB
Contributor
jsp75

They kept bugging me to agree to use this modem.  Did the install yesterday, and spent HOURS on the phone with their techs trying to troubleshoot.  My service is slower, and connections time out.  Total nightmare.

Connection Expert
EG

Year old thread closed.