New Visitor
nagelgrrl

ARRIS TG862 keeps dropping my wireless connection

ARRIS TG862 keeps dropping my wireless connection. I have to pull the battery and disconnect power cord to reset the modem. Then wireless reconnects, but then drops. What could be the problem? Any ideas?

Bronze Problem Solver
cjerian

Re: ARRIS TG862 keeps dropping my wireless connection

You can reset it by pushing the little button in the back for 5 seconds, that is easier than removing the battery.

You might need a pen since it is recessed.

People say these  gateways are not good at wireless, if you search for it nobody likes them on this forum, though maybe we only have disgruntled unhappy people here.

So everyone just gets a real wireless router like a dual band n one from some real company like netgear or dlink or linksys and gets the 862 put in bridge mode, search for it.

Then they forget about the 862 after that.

You could try changing the wireless channel or disabling the QOS features and WMM features http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireless_Multimedia_Extensions

in the advanced settings somewhere.

YOu could change the mode to WPA2 (AES) only.

It doesn't work right with any marvel chipset device though, a firmware update is scheduled eventually like March or April if they can figure it out.

Connection Expert
EG

cjerian wrote:
though maybe we only have disgruntled unhappy people here.

Not "disgruntled" or "unhappy" here. Just stating some facts and some of my opinion. ALL GATEWAY DEVICES BITE !!! Even if there aren't any firmware issues !!! Here's my standard *canned thoughts*;

Just look around the forums and you'll see that there are boatloads of issues with the current crop of CC supplied gateways !!

There is always an inherent disadvantage with these. Combo gateway devices are always a compromise in both quality and performance compared to separate units. Also, only the ISP can update the firmware so you are always a prisoner of that / them. And the firmware is typically crippled by the ISP's customizing of it and they typically eliminate valuable features.

One of the biggest issues with them is that it is far more difficult to diagnose connectivity issues when it comes to troubleshooting. You can't narrow things down by using the process of elimination by removing just the router from the path. And if either segment fails / malfunctions, you have a total failure. I think that CC made a big mistake when they changed their policy and decided to start supplying them instead of dedicated devices. The suits seem to think that this will save them money for support costs but I think that they are getting far more support calls/complaints than ever... We certainly are seeing far more complaints in forums now !

Get separate units and keep the control of your home network in your hands instead of theirs, you'll be much happier !

Bronze Problem Solver
cjerian

The firmware issues make the 862 bite extra hard though.

Bronze Problem Solver
cjerian

I have http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Wireless-Router-Gigabit-R6300/dp/B0081H8TRA

it has no issues.  I can see the router 2 houses down on the block.

It never fails.  I have iphone/ipad /mac  laptops, PS3 etc.

Everything connects and stays connected always.

I can stream video on netflix on the PS3 and the ipad and listen to radio on an iphone all at the same time,

the PC still can surf the internet.

If you have a real wireless router there just are no problems like this and they just run.

The other major vendors also work fine.

They work with vpn so I can connect to work just fine, they stay connected.

Contributor
AtlSteel

If you have more than 5 wireless devices, the Arris gateway will drop connections. It is a known issue with Comcast. Ask them to come out and swap the Arris gateway for a cable modem - they have them with phone ports too - and just get a regular wireless router. 

Networking Expert
kevj

AtlSteel wrote:

If you have more than 5 wireless devices, the Arris gateway will drop connections. It is a known issue with Comcast. Ask them to come out and swap the Arris gateway for a cable modem - they have them with phone ports too - and just get a regular wireless router. 

Can you reference some documentation of this 'known issue' please? It would be nice to have some authoritative documentation for future reference.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I don't work for Comcast...

Help us to help you!!
- respond to requests for info
- post back if your issue is resolved
- mark appropriate posts as solutions

Send feedback to Comcast using the 'feedback' link on this page:
http://www.comcast.com/Corporate/Customers/CustomerGuarantee.html?SCRedirect=true

Connection Expert
EG

[ Edited ]

Hmmm... I've seen posts here indicating that some people have 8-10 devices connected to it..

New Visitor
jmshelton

I have a YG862 too. I bought the darn thing.  It drops the wireless settings all the time. POC!

Contributor
AtlSteel

Yes it would, and I looked for some and asked the Comcast technician where I could find some documentation about the issue because there is nothing in the manual or on the Comcast website about it. He told me his supervisor let them know about it. This was yesterday. I would call that a known issue. 

Networking Expert
kevj

AtlSteel wrote:

Yes it would, and I looked for some and asked the Comcast technician where I could find some documentation about the issue because there is nothing in the manual or on the Comcast website about it. He told me his supervisor let them know about it. This was yesterday. I would call that a known issue. 

Well, it is the first we have heard of it here. We'll check with the Comcastmods to see if they can find out any other information. What they may mean is that some Comcast routers used to have limited DHCP  scopes or were configured with small LAN subnets, that limited the number of PCs that could could connect, but I don't think that is the case with the current gateways. You could check this though. If you log into the gateway, you can look at the LAN settings, and see what the range of IP address used by the DHCP server is. You can also see what the subnet mask on the LAN address is. Let us know what the settings say, and whether or not they are the defaults (i.e. whether you have changed them or not).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I don't work for Comcast...

Help us to help you!!
- respond to requests for info
- post back if your issue is resolved
- mark appropriate posts as solutions

Send feedback to Comcast using the 'feedback' link on this page:
http://www.comcast.com/Corporate/Customers/CustomerGuarantee.html?SCRedirect=true

Contributor
AtlSteel

10.0.0.2 to 10.0.0.252

Haven't changed anything. Comcast tech coming out to replace this gateway with a cable modem. 

Contributor
AtlSteel

Update - Comcast technician came and swapped the Arris gateway with a Ubee cable modem (has ports for my Comcast IP phone line as well), which I connected to a Linksys wireless router and all of our devices are running fast and furious. I have the Blast speed package. Might upgrade, but it's fast as is.