New Visitor

ARRIS modem and Linksys WRT54G (no internet connection)

Greetings!

My old RCA modem died and Comcast came to the house and installed a new one (ARRIS model TM602G/CT). Tech connected the cable modem to my PC which is running Vista and everything worked fine. After the tech left I plugged in my Linksys WRT54G router and found I had no connection to the internet with it. OS sees the router no problem. I logged into the router and cloned the MAC addy. Powered down both the router and the modem for about 1 minute. Restarted the router first then the modem. I still get the same results. Connects to the router ok, just not the internet.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Tim

Bronze Problem Solver

Re: ARRIS modem and Linksys WRT54G (no internet connection)

[ Edited ]

There is no need to clone any mac addresses. Reset the router to factory defaults. When you change the device directly connected to the modem you must power cycle the modem.

Standard Power Cycle Procedure

Turn everything off – cable modem, router, PC(s) – and let them sit for a few minutes. If you have a modem that has a battery backup (telephony modems often do), press and hold its reset button until the modem reboots itself.

The order in which you do the following steps is critical - don't improvise! Turn on the cable modem, and let it come all the way up. Connect the WAN port (the one that’s by itself) of the router to the cable modem, and turn on the router. Wait for the router to come all the way up. Connect your PC to one of the LAN ports (there are usually 4 of them, grouped together), on the router. Repeat for any other hard-wired PCs. If you are not using a router, connect the PC to the modem and boot the PC.

Last, if you are using wifi, boot up your wireless PC/laptop and let it find the wireless signal. Once it’s working properly, check the top thread in the Home Networking forum about how to secure the wireless connection and prevent others from stealing your bandwidth.

Message Edited by FishMan on 05-14-2009 07:48 AM
Regular Visitor

The same router connected as above sends a very strong signal to my adaptered computer in the basement. However, it tells me that no internet is detected. What's going on here?

Security Expert
LoPhatPhuud

[ Edited ]

The Arris  TM602G modem is for internet/phone use., Assuming the battery is installed, unplugging it will not work. You need to press the reset button on the back.  Use a small screw driver or something similar.

Heres the info on it:

http://www.arrisi.com/product_catalog/listers/index.asp?id=418

"Once I talked to the inmates of an insane asylum in Hartford. I have talked to idiots a thousand times, but only once to the insane..."
Mark Twain

Microsoft MVP, Consumer Security, 2005-2014